• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring that I'm an American this seems like a futile question. Whether or not he still is doesn't matter to the election given he's going up against a far-right contender. If I could vote for him I would, because I simply hate the far-right and its outright intent to kill and subjugate folks more than typical white racism. On top of that, the story has implications that reach farther than him. Even if he's grown from it, even if he's not got "a racist bone in his body," well... so what? That a once leftist darling, paragon of politics like him could routinely engage in blackface to that degree means there's honestly no reason for minorities to practically expect better from anyone else anyway. Things are fucked.
It's a horrible look for sure, but wouldn't you say his actions toward minorities during his political career speak louder about his character?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in "defending" it considering he himself calls it racist and wrong. I don't think it honestly matters anymore since I'm not 3woke5me and he's been a good PM with the south asian community.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Because apparently the ignorant shit y'all do as kids is blackface. Like, y'all shrug it off because it's just a random happenstance of ignorant youth and not- somehow- a complete condemnation of character and the wider culture that allows this shit to permeate even among leftists. Saying nigger is a side-step at that point.
Nah. That dude said we sometimes do bad shit as kids that would be horrible today.

You saying "woah, y'all say the n-word today" completely ignored the point he's making and is disengenuous. Back as a kid in the early 90's I wore a fucking rug with a hole in it and a fruit bowl on my head as part of a Mexican costume for "cultural appreciation day" because my school thought that was cool. You gonna ask me if I watch Al Jolson in 2019 because of that?

But yeah you do you and keep making completely illogical leaps.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He already admitted and understands what he did was racist although he didnt think it was at the time

He has done much in his position of power and influence to try and make sure he is nothing like that since then.

Nobody believes the man is racist.

So all this is a hard meh from me.

If we could get most actual racist to even get to point number 1 in this list we'd be getting somewhere in this world.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, on this, we should not talk over minority voices, and especially not those of PoC Canadians. It is honestly their voices who matter the most in this.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
You can assess his ability to lead based on the last four years of leading.
Ok I will, his leadership in the last couple of years is not good enough to excuse this kind of outright racism and stupidity. Even if you claim he has grown as a person then have him explain this behavior. If everything is true, this is downright obsessive and morbid. Apologizing doesn't mean shit. If he convincingly explains how this isn't sick and he doesn't need help , I'll reconsider his leadership ability.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's a horrible look for sure, but wouldn't you say his actions toward minorities during his political career speak louder about his character?
I would have to actually look into his career to give an honest answer. But Even assuming he's never done anything overtly or maliciously racist since, I mean...alright? That's, like, the minimal I expect from other people.

But- forgive me for being presumptuous- what I feel you're angling at is that you're asking me to excuse what he did, at a time where we're just now finding out about it and the wounds are raw.

And I gotta be honest, at nearly 30 I am already sick and tired of handwaving away white supremacy all. the. time, of always being asked "well, don't these other things count?" of always having to effectively forgive folks. And God willing I get another 4 or 5 decades on this planet I guarantee you it's going to be the same shit, over and over, for the rest of my days. I'm not looking forward to that.

Assuming he has been doing right by Canadian minorities, good on him. To me though, he'll always be damaged goods, someone I can't wholly put my faith in and a testament to white supremacy's staying power. Hopefully he wins, and then after that Canadians can try for another white leftist who didn't think it was cool to do blackface. Or maybe a minority? Who knows? Just hopefully something better.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I will, his leadership in the last couple of years is not good enough to excuse this kind of outright racism and stupidity. Even if you claim he has grown as a person then have him explain this behavior. If everything is true, this is downright obsessive and morbid. Apologizing doesn't mean shit. If he convincingly explains how this isn't sick and he doesn't need help , I'll reconsider his leadership ability.
? He said it was a racist thing to do and apologized for it. He shouldn't, and didn't, try to justify his actions like you seem to want him to do. There is no justification for blackface. He did the only reasonable thing to do, which is condemn his actions and apologize for them.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
? He said it was a racist thing to do and apologized for it. He shouldn't, and didn't, try to justify his actions like you seem to want him to do. There is no justification for blackface. He did the only reasonable thing to do, which is condemn his actions and apologize for them.
No, no we're talking about a pattern of behavior that is just strange and he needs to address it. This isn't "Well I went to a party one time and made a bad choice." He has some sort of issue. If he wants trust then have him explain why the behavior was borderline obsessive? Let him explain it. This isn't normal racist insensitivity.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have to actually look into his career to give an honest answer. But Even assuming he's never done anything overtly or maliciously racist since, I mean...alright? That's, like, the minimal I expect from other people.

But- forgive me for being presumptuous- what I feel you're angling at is that you're asking me to excuse what he did, at a time where we're just now finding out about it and the wounds are raw.

And I gotta be honest, at nearly 30 I am already sick and tired of handwaving away white supremacy all. the. time, of always being asked "well, don't these other things count?" of always having to effectively forgive folks. And God willing I get another 4 or 5 decades on this planet I guarantee you it's going to be the same shit, over and over, for the rest of my days. I'm not looking forward to that.

Assuming he has been doing right by Canadian minorities, good on him. To me though, he'll always be damaged goods, someone I can't wholly put my faith in and a testament to white supremacy's staying power. Hopefully he wins, and then after that Canadians can try for another white leftist who didn't think it was cool to do blackface. Or maybe a minority? Who knows? Just hopefully something better.

I'm not expert on Canadian politics. But I am going based on what Canadians in this thread are saying and what I do know about Trudeau.

Canadians feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my understand is Trudeau is likely THE best Canadian PM minorities/natives have had in decades if not ever. Everyone always talks about how great his outreach and programs are.

So, in a way, I am asking for people to forgive a bad past mistake because of the good work he has done and is continuing to do now.

But also yes, Canadian PoC should speak on this (I believe some in this thread have but I only saw in relation to south pacific asian communities.)

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, on this, we should not talk over minority voices, and especially not those of PoC Canadians. It is honestly their voices who matter the most in this.
who is trying to do this? If anything those votes will determine how split the left will be between the ndp greens and liberals...
White liberals will either be in the "its unnacceptable" camp and either change their vote or not because of ABCs.
Or they will be the unfortunate white liberals who can't see what the big deal is...

What I mean is if Trudeau loses it will probably because this lost him a lot of votes in minority ccommunities. Could be wrong but its just a guess.

I'm not expert on Canadian politics. But I am going based on what Canadians in this thread are saying and what I do know about Trudeau.

Canadians feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my understand is Trudeau is likely THE best Canadian PM minorities/natives have had in decades if not ever. Everyone always talks about how great his outreach and programs are.

So, in a way, I am asking for people to forgive a bad past mistake because of the good work he has done and is continuing to do now.

But also yes, Canadian PoC should speak on this (I believe some in this thread have but I only saw in relation to south pacific asian communities.)
he hasn't had any competition. Its not like Layton wouldn't have been a better PM, or Ignatief wouldn't have been a better PM... but they were never elected. I think SIngh would be a better PM (for programs and the like) than Trudeau but he won't win. Scheer definately won't though...

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's definitely a bad look. Dumbass thing to do.
AND I'm not interested whatsoever in hearing Scheers concerns .

Luckily I know my local ndp MP who is awesome and will crush it so I'm still not voting for those above.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Some visible minority Canadian posters have posted here.

Many minority community groups have released statements to the media.

as a 1st gen immigrant I can only speak for myself but I am white

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a visible minority. This isn't going to do anything to shake how I will vote. I'm not stupid, why would I ever make the path to Conservatives running the country easier?

What this has done however is revealed how many fake ass progressives there are. Anyone excusing Trudeau in any way are just trash as far as I'm concerned.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a visible minority. This isn't going to do anything to shake how I will vote. I'm not stupid, why would I ever make the path to Conservatives running the country easier?

What this has done however is revealed how many fake ass progressives there are. Anyone excusing Trudeau in any way are just trash as far as I'm concerned.

Who in this thread is doing this?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

He is the best we've ever had on indigenous issues, but this is a rather low bar to achieve considering the racist and genocidal policies Canadian governments have pursued at times.

Even with everything Trudeau has done, there is a great deal more that can be done and he has received a great deal of criticism on indigenous issues despite being better than all the rest.

Eg. Indigenous MP Romeo Saganash accusing Trudeau of not 'giving a fuck' about indigenous rights.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Depends on how you see "excusing Trudeau". Excusing his past behaviour is obviously not acceptable. But some have argued that it's forgiveable considering his current actions, the context, his apology, etc. which might be what Gotdatmoney meant (not sure). But, well, that's a personal decision. I certainly wouldn't tell PoC how to feel about it all.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this is getting blown up to much? I'm not saying what he did is right at all. But he did this when he was in the 1990s and early 2000s. It seems he has matured since. We all do dumbshit when we are young. Unless he's still doing shit like this then fuck him.

Pretty much agree with you

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love how we're talking about this and not the whistleblower cover up. I mean, we're talking about them both, but this one's 29 pages and the whistleblower cover up is 7. One is more important than the other.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

As far as I'm concerned a lot of people. Not that I mentioned this thread anywhere in that post but we can include it too cause there are a bunch of weak ass justifications and low barriers for acceptability from a lot here.

This is weak as fuck and a politician smiling and saying what he did was wrong is enough for gold stars and applause from a lot of yall. Not to mention dumb hypothetical posts about how long will we hold it over him? Like honestly, these people can fuck off until the end of time. You want a bunch of quotables though I'm sure.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Liberals: need to be perfect people
Conservatives: get away with everything

idk, I think we need to start learning a bit from the bad guys, maybe forgiveness should be the route once in a while

Oct 27, 2017

We have a minority in the running, unfortunately (and I blame this 100% on American politics leaching in to our system) he's heading a party that can't win, due to what is essentially now a two-party system.

Besides, between Quebec and Alberta a visible minority PM is still quite a reach. Singh is trying his damndest to win over Quebecois but that's a fucking tough crowd for anyone brown/jewish/anglophone.

Mar 3, 2018
Ive seen a few posts online saying hes changed over the years with letting refugees come to canada and indigenous rights. Honestly? ehhh....Correct me if Im wrong but Canada didnt hold some extreme views against immigration before him did it? I came here years ago and it was such an easy transition compared to when I tried to immigrate to Europe which was a nightmare which is why I didnt apply for refugee statue there. As for indigenous rights, m not going to say " i have indigenous friends" so someone doesnt use that as some argument against me in a cliche way, but I am actively involved in a lot of indigenous communities through volunteering and going to events, and most of them that I speak to say its all really a facade. Just because some chief or elder take a photo with him and commends him doesnt really mean shit. I met multiple people who tried to speak and asked him hard hitting questions during town hall meeting and they were all kicked out. There is even video for some of these, and as people are typing about how he is for indigenous rights they are actively kicking them out of their lands to build a pipeline.

I agree he is better than most politicians out there, and lets be honest thats a low standards, All im saying is, its OK if you voted and will vote for him because god help us if the other guy wins, but dont lower your standards so much and defend his shitty actions.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive seen a few posts online saying hes changed over the years with letting refugees come to canada and indigenous rights. Honestly? ehhh....Correct me if Im wrong but Canada didnt hold some extreme views against immigration before him did it? I came here years ago and it was such an easy transition compared to when I tried to immigrate to Europe which was a nightmare which is why I didnt apply for refugee statue there. As for indigenous rights, m not going to say " i have indigenous friends" so someone doesnt use that as some argument against me in a cliche way, but I am actively involved in a lot of indigenous communities through volunteering and going to events, and most of them that I speak to say its all really a facade. Just because some chief or elder take a photo with him and commends him doesnt really mean shit. I met multiple people who tried to speak and asked him hard hitting questions during town hall meeting and they were all kicked out. There is even video for some of these, and as people are typing about how he is for indigenous rights they are actively kicking them out of their lands to build a pipeline.

I agree he is better than most politicians out there, and lets be honest thats a low standards, All im saying is, its OK if you voted and will vote for him because god help us if the other guy wins, but dont lower your standards so much and defend his shitty actions.
No PM is ever going to 100% truly give a shit about First Nations. It's just the way it is. And I am going to claim "I do have Native friends" over this, I don't care what some Era poster has to say about it. They know this as fact and have been/will always be aware of it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liberals: need to be perfect people
Conservatives: get away with everything

idk, I think we need to start learning a bit from the bad guys, maybe forgiveness should be the route once in a while
I know this is worded wrong but I see what you mean.

Seems that progressives are in search of that elusive PERFECT candidate and will amplify every single flaw of one of their candidates, whether it's big or small.

Meanwhile conservatives turn a blind eye as long as their guy wins.

I get the need to be able to criticize a good candidate in order to better them but fuck if it doesn't feel like we shoot ourselves in the foot a lot of the time.

Sucks when the other team plays so dirty.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I know this is worded wrong but I see what you mean.

Seems that progressives are in search of that elusive PERFECT candidate and will amplify every single flaw of one of their candidates, whether it's big or small.

Meanwhile conservatives turn a blind eye as long as their guy wins.

I get the need to be able to criticize a good candidate in order to better them but fuck if it doesn't feel like we shoot ourselves in the foot a lot of the time.

Sucks when the other team plays so dirty.

Obviously black face is bad, and makes me doubt a persons judgement and integrity, but when that persons has had a pretty good track record after the fact, maybe just let it slide?
29 pages for this holy shit

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So Scheer gonna win now I presume? Yikes..
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the country as a whole's reaction is likely
giphy.gif
Scheer will scream about this until he's blue in the human facade skin he has over his robotic endo skeleton face.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
This just had me laughing my ass off in the states actually.

The entire nation in fucking uproar over a dumb high school picture while Mr. "Grab them by the pussy" looks set to possibly have a 2nd term.

He's pretty much done everything he could to make this go away bar committing Seppuku. Idk. In a way I'm glad Canadians are holding our PM to a higher standard but the difference is hilariously stark to me.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! I guess i will vote blank on next elections
Welp. I guess Jagmeet it is then. Shit like this isn't going to force me to vote more conservative, but I sure as shit cant in good conscience cast my vote for this....fuck. dude was never my hero or poster boy for how I want Canada to be, but this is pretty disgraceful. Is there still time for him to step down and appoint Goodale as Liberal Party leader? Imagine two Regina guys going at it for this election.

Scheer and the conservative party of canada salute your bold choice...to help them win in this coming election 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes

Here it comes

Without fail.

Why should people let this slide? What is the actual basis here?

He's a liberal PM.

If this was Scheer or anyone else not named Justin Trudeau, oh boy the reactions would be completely different. It should have been obvious this was gonna happen tho if you have followed Canadian politics considering some people here don't care about Trudeau's actions in the other scandal he's involved.

Scheer and the conservative party of canada salute your bold choice..to help them win in this coming election 🤦🏻‍♂️

Maybe Trudeau shouldn't be doing racist things if people want him to vote for him.

If the Liberals lose this election it won't be because people voted for a third party.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry this is so straight out of fucking house of cards it's hilarious. Like this is more American than American scandals.

I'd love a prequel to this incident of Doug trying desperately to destroy the yearbook to no avail.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes

Here it comes

Without fail.

Try reading some of the posts over this 29 page thread that offer a bit more context than your selective quote shows. Your question has been answered multiple, multiple times. If you don't like the reasoning that's fine, I'm not going to tell someone how to feel about a subject like this, but many posters have explained why they're going to "let it slide".

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. That dude said we sometimes do bad shit as kids that would be horrible today.

You saying "woah, y'all say the n-word today" completely ignored the point he's making and is disengenuous. Back as a kid in the early 90's I wore a fucking rug with a hole in it and a fruit bowl on my head as part of a Mexican costume for "cultural appreciation day" because my school thought that was cool. You gonna ask me if I watch Al Jolson in 2019 because of that?

But yeah you do you and keep making completely illogical leaps.
Were you almost 30 when you did that though?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
He's a liberal PM.

If this was Scheer or anyone else not named Justin Trudeau, oh boy the reactions would be completely different. It should have been obvious this was gonna happen tho if you have followed Canadian politics considering some people here don't care about Trudeau's actions in the other scandal he's involved.

No one's condoning blackface, we just don't want to end up like the US and elect the fascists.

Gotta pick your battles.

If Scheer wins you're going to see stuff a lot more racist than blackface.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes

Here it comes

Without fail.

He said the basis for it in his post. His track record since the event is basis for letting it slide.

I think it's correct to want an apology though. His apology checked off a lot of the marks at least I'm looking for.

1. Acknowledges it is bad and regrets it. Promises he is not that person anymore and knows it is wrong now.
2. Seek forgiveness
3. Don't make your apology about excusing the behavior and telling people to chill.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Try reading some of the posts over this 29 page thread that offer a bit more context than your selective quote shows.

I have read the whole thread.

Your question has been answered multiple, multiple times.

It's a rhetorical question. I'm not dumb, I know people aren't going to hold him to any real standard.

So what is the punishment he gets

I dont know. Probably nothing given how eager people are to just say "good track record, whatever"

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Welp. I guess Jagmeet it is then. Shit like this isn't going to force me to vote more conservative, but I sure as shit cant in good conscience cast my vote for this....fuck. dude was never my hero or poster boy for how I want Canada to be, but this is pretty disgraceful. Is there still time for him to step down and appoint Goodale as Liberal Party leader? Imagine two Regina guys going at it for this election.

You'd be throwing your vote away and giving it to a conservative. It's the equivalent of voting for the Green Party in the election between Hillary and Trump. Maybe you'd feel better about yourself but well....if Truedea loses to his conservative opponent, you're complicit in that.