• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So what happened here, did he think after his apology today that nobody would find the third incident, or did he not remember all the times he did blackface

May 30, 2018
Fucking no, stop being hypocrites for once.

Fuck him and his face

Electing a racist just to not let other racist get the power it's still fucking racist

What has he done as PM that's worthy of making him racist?

He's never been afraid to show outreach to Minorities, had the most racially diverse party in Canada history, vigorously Defended Minorities from Harper's super racist rhetoric

But he did something racist, that he has since apologized for, so he must be the same as the actual white nationalist he's opposing

Smh

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau's not truly cancelled until Bari Weiss does an NYT column defending him. He's safe for now.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Do you live in Canada? Do you realize what would happen if Trudeau isn't voted in?

Lol I am out, when people sound like Trump voters during the "grabbing" scandal it's time to call the quits.

"He has changed" "it was 20 years ago" "do you realise what would happen if the other side wins" " I am sure it's not that bad" "I am sure it was just that instance"

And by the way, start to adjust to the idea that he has already lost, you might prefer the "lesser Evil", but know that enough people will not. Enough for you to vote a black face that will not even win.

Good luck

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What has he done as PM that's worthy of making him racist?

He's never been afraid to show outreach to Minorities, had the most racially diverse party in Canada history, vigorously Defended Minorities from Harper's super racist rhetoric

But he did something racist, that he has since apologized for, so he must be the same as the actual white nationalist he's opposing

Smh
Racism isn't a binary yes or no thing, it's a spectrum just like sexuality. Both Justin and the White Nationalist are probably racist. White society loves to deflect and place 100% of the blame on extremists/nationalists. Everyday white people collectively chip away at minority quality of life more than White extremists do.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Of course your friend is totally entitled to how he feels. I just think it's the targets of the supposed offense (e.g. Arab or South Asian people) who should be the arbiters of whether or not it's offensive, not others just assuming how they must feel.

Which of the 3 racist incidents are you referring to? One was black, one was arab and the other was pretty vague. I think it's fair for any person of colour to be offended at this point.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
They put it in the yearbook?! Also, how did it take so long for a yearbook pic to get discovered?

With things like this it's always important to think about how you would react if it was someone on the opposite side. If you'd want a conservative out for this sort of thing we should want the same for any party.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see him resigning personally. Old governor northam just went through this and got through it relatively unscathed. Just barreling through controversies seems to be the thing to do nowadays.

May 30, 2018
Lol I am out, when people sound like Trump voters during the "grabbing" scandal it's time to call the quits.

"He has changed" "it was 20 years ago" "do you realise what would happen if the other side wins" " I am sure it's not that bad" "I am sure it was just that instance"

And by the way, start to adjust to the idea that he has already lost, you might prefer the "lesser Evil", but know that enough people will not. Enough for you to vote a black face that will not even win.

Good luck

Such a lazy false equivalence

Trump has like hundreds of rape accusations, was on that pedo plane multiple times, creeped the miss universe locker room, in general has a long history of this shit, that he has never apologized for and instead deflects

Trudeau has this blackface mistake, apologized, and has clearly in his time as PM been doing decent for minorities

Btw it's nowhere close to a given that Trudeau will lose, so I don't even know what your last point is getting at

May 30, 2018
Racism isn't a binary yes or no thing, it's a spectrum just like sexuality. Both Justin and the White Nationalist are probably racist. White society loves to deflect and place 100% of the blame on extremists/nationalists. Everyday white people collectively chip away at minority quality of life more than White extremists do.

I disagree that he's racist. He did something racist, yes, but I do not see a pattern of racism from him during his time in the public spotlight, in fact the exact opposite

I'll choose to believe he's changed since then, given his actions, policy, and rhetoric since then

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Such a lazy false equivalence

Trump has like hundreds of rape accusations, was on that pedo plane multiple times, creeped the miss universe locker room, in general has a long history of this shit, that he has never apologized for and instead deflects

Trudeau has this blackface mistake, apologized, and has clearly in his time as PM been doing decent for minorities

Btw it's nowhere close to a given that Trudeau will lose, so I don't even know what your last point is getting at

Clear that poster has basically zero knowledge on Canadian politics

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
What really are the options here? I live in a riding that doesnt even have a NDP nominee and any vote that isnt Liberal is a defacto Conservative vote. The conservatives, both Federal and Provincial, that this area offers up are all deep shades of crazy. The Liberal incumbant seems to try to speak with and for the community, but he has no real effect on the grand stage - and I have no say in who the PM is.

Ideally I would like a Liberal minority that has to adopt more progressive positions in order to satisfy the NDP and Green, but it seems far more likely that the Liberals would make concessions to the Conservatives. Nevermind that the Liberals have squandered their majority and broken key promises. If it is a minority victory I hope that Trudeau steps down and a strong progressive takes his place.

Hell, even if a majority, I hope he steps down as we shouldn't tolerate this level of racism from the least of us, let alone those elected to lead us. But realistically, if he forms a majority he will stand by as this disappears into the aether.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'll choose to believe he's changed since then, given his actions, policy, and rhetoric since then

The policies are that of the party and will endure without him. He only stopped the racism when he found political ambition. The rhetoric since he began his political life is meaningless. It's how they carry themselves BEFORE public life that matters most imo.

Dec 8, 2017
User banned (1 week): drive-by trolling, account in junior phase
This is your time to shine, ResetEra.

CANCEL HIM! CANCEL HIM!

Apr 21, 2018

Good luck

I mean, the Conservative party leader has done interviews with white supremacists, related homosexuality to dogs, and have stood against immigration while standing for supporting private schools over public, bringing back the abortion topic, privatizing healthcare, rolling back climate change initiatives, legalizing and criminalizing marijuana again...

That's on top of the typical right-wing approach to de-regulation, cutting taxes, and gutting social programs for the lower class.

Trudeau hasn't been a great leader, I'll admit that, but just because he did something really [admittedly] dumb twenty years ago, that isn't going to change my entire idealogical view on politics and social governing.

Honestly, I just vote for whoever will defeat the Conservatives in my riding. I don't care if it's NDP, Green, or Liberal. Just not the Cons.

And for all it's worth, my gut instinct tells me that Trudeau isn't a racist man yet it tells me that Scheer is.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Which of the 3 racist incidents are you referring to? One was black, one was arab and the other was pretty vague. I think it's fair for any person of colour to be offended at this point.

I was initially only aware of the Arabian Nights one, but yeah I just now saw the blackface video. And apparently there's a third video but I haven't seen it yet. But yeah... he went too far. This is now clearly a disrespectful pattern of behaviour.

That being said, I'm a pragmatic voter. Scheer will be worse, and his policies will be more hurtful to immigrants, refugees, minorities and cities, so I'm still voting Liberal unless the NDP or Greens start to surge in the polls, which may very well happen now.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
It was probably discovered in 2015 tbh. This was clearly timed to do damage.

But Trudeau had half his life to prepare for the backlash.

Good point, though hundreds of people had this yearbook and it was probably available in their library and scanned online. Weird that it didn't get posted on social media by a random person at some point. I guess nobody cared and that says a lot.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada is a fundamentaly racist country, it's about time you take the wool off your eyes...

No, Canada is not founded on racism. That is too much.

If you believe that then there isn't a non-racist country on earth.

Yes we have racist people and historical baggage. Saying the country is inherently, intractably racist forever is fucking cray.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Good luck

So Trudeau = Trump now?

Trudeau doing stupid shit 20 years ago = Grabbing women, putting kids of color in cages, shitting on minorities and being friends with murderous dictators while being president

Ok yeah right

Are you Canadian and if so, who will you be voting for?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
For those who are unfamiliar, was he a clear favorite before this all happened or was he already in a close race?

Canada has a FPTP parliamentary system. Even if conservatives win the popular vote, Trudeau still has a 63.3% chance of winning a majority, and an 81% chance of winning at least a minority (according to 338canada).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Yes we have racist people and historical baggage. Saying the country is inherently, intractably racist forever is fucking cray.

Canada was literally founded on massacring the native people, separating children from their parents, and forcing them to become "civilized" in residential schools where children were sexually assaulted.

Not to mention the forced sterilization.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

Sure, but there are too many Canadians that think they have the moral high ground over Americans. "That could never happen here!" Sometimes it feels like we are more obsessed with looking better than Americans than actually being good people.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
So Trudeau = Trump now?

Trudeau doing stupid shit 20 years ago = Grabbing women, putting kids of color in cages, shitting on minorities and being friends with murderous dictators while being president

Ok yeah right

Are you Canadian and if so, who will you be voting for?

It's absurd, just like when people compare Scheer to Trump.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That being said, I'm a pragmatic voter. Scheer will be worse, and his policies will be more hurtful to immigrants, refugees, and minorities, so I'm still voting Liberal unless the NDP or Greens start to surge in the polls, which may very well happen now.

I don't think it's pragmatic to keep someone with so much racist baggage as leader of the Liberal party. I question the notion that keeping him at the forefront and as the face of the Liberal party for the rest of this campaign is a winning strategy. I also think it's very damaging longterm for them to stand by him. I can't even see a scenario where this doesn't drag him down and the party with him. This habit of black/brown face he had is pretty uncommon and when you see a notable person doing it it's very affecting imo. Then again maybe it gets him some racist voters.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Good luck

Unlike Trump, Trudeau has actually enacted pro-immigrant and minority policies, which have a legit chance of being pulled out should he lose.

Stop seeing in black and white.