• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
It might also be that the type of person who thinks Jontron is an asshole, might also be the type of person who doesn't go around liking or disliking youtube videos to send some sort of internet message.
Why wouldn't someone complaining here not want to send "some sort of internet message"?

Oct 28, 2017
Oh this explains the clown thread on that other forum, I was wondering where that came from.

Also your site seems like a good bookmark to keep handy, thanks for that!

There are a number of subreddits flying under the radar centred around this clown stuff. Check out r/frenworld. Their modus operandi is the same as the circle-game meme. Associate it with a bunch of white supremacist stuff and use it as a rhetorical weapon when people call it out.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Wait what? So recently, when that projared topic happened, over on Twitter there were a TON of clown emotes throughout the Twitter time line. First I've ever seen anything pertaining to a clown meme. I assumed it was just a stupid meme thing, but not an alt right thing. I think memes being taken over as alt right symbols can have dangerous reprecussions for people unknowingly posting them. Or everyone is a shit head. Who knows.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wait what? So recently, when that projared topic happened, over on Twitter there were a TON of clown emotes throughout the Twitter time line. First I've ever seen anything pertaining to a clown meme. I assumed it was just a stupid meme thing, but not an alt right thing. I think memes being taken over as alt right symbols can have dangerous reprecussions for people unknowingly posting them. Or everyone is a shit head. Who knows.
This is *precisely* the point. They pick something with plausible deniability, and use it openly amongst themselves, like the white power hand signal / circle game thing. Or Pepe.

They know what they mean with it. We know what they mean with it. But they can hide behind the meme and pretend they didn't know. CF gamergate and people going 'but I thought it was about ethics in game journalism'. Sure, *some* people saying that did think that. But most didn't. So we called them out.

And then when we accidentally call out someone using it innocently, we feed in to the whole 'oh those evil liberals just brand everyone a bigot' lie told by the alt right.

I don't think it's been espescially effective as a strategy to be fair, but it certainly hasn't been a blatant failure.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is *precisely* the point. They pick something with plausible deniability, and use it openly amongst themselves, like the white power hand signal / circle game thing. Or Pepe.

They know what they mean with it. We know what they mean with it. But they can hide behind the meme and pretend they didn't know. CF gamergate and people going 'but I thought it was about ethics in game journalism'. Sure, *some* people saying that did think that. But most didn't. So we called them out.

And then when we accidentally call out someone using it innocently, we feed in to the whole 'oh those evil liberals just brand everyone a bigot' lie told by the alt right.

I don't think it's been espescially effective as a strategy to be fair, but it certainly hasn't been a blatant failure.
Well this is all pretty crappy. Definitely makes me think twice when I see it now.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's always the question of whether it's for us or them. Even if it doesn't convince us that we've gone too far, it can still be used to convince them that, actually, they're the real persecuted group and the one that deserves sympathy.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Stuff like this regarding Justin Roiland is starting to make it a bit more clear to me why Rick and Morty resonates with complete morons as much as it does.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
It didn't surprise me at all. Monty is clearly a incel, all women in his life are mindless, and the show mocked feminist in the female-only dimension episode.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 9, 2018
This AMA reads like if you would dive into the brain-cells of a teenager that's on the climax of it's puberty if you show him/her a picture of a naked person.

Absolutely. Every question regarding the problematic stances of Roiland was downvoted or deleted by moderators in a matter of minutes. Instead, all you can find are references to the Sezchuan sauce or other Rick&Mortisms "that you have to be a genius to understand"....

Reddit = the sewage tank of the internet.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I honestly didn't know who JonTron is before this thread, but I have to say, that is one painfully bad commercial...

I mean, I've been playing the game and enjoying it, but I feel like you could have just taken literally any part of the game with one of the characters going on one of their rants (of which there are like, hundreds) and have made a more entertaining ad than whatever that was...

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Absolutely. Every question regarding the problematic stances of Roiland was downvoted or deleted by moderators in a matter of minutes. Instead, all you can find are references to the Sezchuan sauce or other Rick&Mortisms "that you have to be a genius to understand"....

Reddit = the sewage tank of the internet.
Out of curiosity, who moderates those posts in this case? The people behind the AMA, right?

Pepe Silvia

Jan 9, 2018
Out of curiosity, who moderates those posts in this case? The people behind the AMA, right?

The AMA happened on Rick & Morty' subreddit. So the moderators in this case are the team of moderators on this subreddit which include Roiland himself.

Capture.jpg