• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Good. If circumstances prevent any 3rd party candidates from running, that will be a huge help to the Democrats.

i believe this will help Trump
I don't think so. He was a big risk in terms of pulling moderates away in Michigan. Trump voters will fall in line for him. It's the "moderates" who need to be convinced.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure who this helps. But it's honestly such a small portion of the electorate it might just not really matter overall.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Good. If circumstances prevent any 3rd party candidates from running, that will be a huge help to the Democrats.

What circumstances prevent ANY third party candidate from running? Third parties help or harm parties based on what potential voting base they draw from. A strong libertarian run harms republicans theoretically.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
What circumstances prevent ANY third party candidate from running? Third parties help or harm parties based on what potential voting base they draw from. A strong libertarian run harms republicans theoretically.
Social distancing makes it harder to get signatures, which could keep 3rd party candidates from running: https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...rd-party-libertarian-green-trump-biden-193013

And Libertarians pose a greater risk to Biden than Trump because they target the "both sides are the same" moderates who see that things aren't good right now and want something as different as possible. At least with a binary choice those who want change will likely choose the new, different option than what we currently have.

Oh here we go already.

Could you please explain how a candidate that had zero chance of winning was supposed take votes from him ?

people give Trump too much power in how they think about him
This is about Michigan specifically. It was insanely close between Hillary and Trump and while Biden looks to currently do better than she did, a new unknown factor there is risky.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
This helps Biden. Amash would be viewed as a never Trumper by the cult. Meanwhile you actually had a small coalition of Dems that wanted Amash to be an impeachment manager after he came out supporting impeachment.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
That was fast. Should help Biden, no? I'm glad.
i believe this will help Trump

I don't think there is an easy way to intuit this one way or the other. There are a decent number of anti-Trump conservatives willing to protest vote for Biden, but who would prefer to protest vote for Amash. There are also a decent number of reluctant Trumpers who dislike Trump, but who will always vote against a Democrat, for whom Amash would provide a way out of voting Trunp. If the first group outnumbers the second, Amash running helps Trump. The reverse, he helps Biden. I have to imagine his first batch of polling showed him helping Trump for him to drop this quickly though. I really doubt it was a matter of resources. It's not like you need a ton of money to mount a vanity Libertarian campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
A semi-valid choice for non-Trump Rs slightly helps Biden, so that option dropping out helps Trump slightly. Either way, the effect is minuscule.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take, he wasn't getting no donations small or large.

OP
OP
schuelma

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Lmao probs.

But yeah this is good for Democrats. This would've taken away votes from Biden because Amash would be the protest vote against both sexual predators.

I'd appreciate sticking to the Amash news and not turning this into yet another Biden/Reade thread. There are 2 active ones right now.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI: The link in the OP is broken, Chrome giving me a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error when I tried visiting the link.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This current election cycle is unique in that candidates can't hold physical events due to the pandemic.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh here we go already.

Could you please explain how a candidate that had zero chance of winning was supposed take votes from him ?

people give Trump too much power in how they think about him

Trump won in very few states by suspiciously low, razor thin margins which even if you believe were fairly come by, would suggest that a single spoiler candidate can do incredible damage. If only there were a presidency that could have been decided by the difference if a single candidate had dropped out of a single state race, i dunno, like florida perhaps.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump won in very few states by suspiciously low, razor thin margins which even if you believe were fairly come by, would suggest that a single spoiler candidate can do incredible damage. If only there were a presidency that could have been decided by the difference if a single candidate had dropped out of a single state race, i dunno, like florida perhaps.
But that 3rd party candidate took votes from Democrats and not just Republicans though.

votes that would have made a difference.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Funny, tell me one Republican that would even match Biden, Vote in November people
I don't know, any of the ones he wants to "reach across the isle" for or fill his administration with (his words)? Look I'm voting for the guy, don't get me twisted, but he isn't my ideal candidate and I'm concerned its 2016 all over again, we need a new face. The republican propaganda machine already has a file cabinet full of BS scare mongering and character assassinations to run against him, and from where I'm sitting, that stupid crap apparently works.

OP
OP
schuelma

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I don't know, any of the ones he wants to "reach across the isle" for or fill his administration with (his words)? Look I'm voting for the guy, don't get me twisted, but he isn't my ideal candidate and I'm concerned its 2016 all over again, we need a new face. The republican propaganda machine already has a file cabinet full of BS scare mongering and character assassinations to run against him, and from where I'm sitting, that stupid crap apparently works.

Biden is in an extremely strong position both nationally and in swing states, especially for a challenger to an incumbent.

OP
OP
schuelma

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Ok fair enough, I'll bow out of this conversation now, we are still on the same side I'm just not allowed an opinion I guess, take care.

I'm not trying to shut you down, and there are of course reasons for valid concern, but the common response to just dismiss the best evidence we have because Trump drew an inside straight in 2016 just isn't very productive in my opinion.