• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Believe women" means believe women when they tell you that abuse is common. It means believe them when they tell you it can even be daily, even a constant stream, and that we need to listen to them and take action where we can.

It was never meant to mean "believe every accusation 100% without question and immediately demonize the accused", and anyone taking it that far is only causing harm.

I don't believe this remotely matches the use of "believe women" on this forum.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this remotely matches the use of "believe women" on this forum.
If you actually go to any relevant thread and check it, you'd immediately see your "this forum" comment is bullshit.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's always stupid when people's confirmation biases get in the way of the fact that almost every single thread that exists will have people on both sides of the debate.

You're on this forum, do you hold that view?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Like i said in the thread, i'm happy that the truth is now in the open and i hope that psycho gets what she deserves.

On the other side, YIKES at twitter , reddit and other corners of the web when the usual deplorable toads (Alt-Right, Incels, NeoGaf) are using this a ammo to start attcking the Me too movement and such , with shit likd #don'tbelieveallwomen and such. What a shit show.

Double YIKES because Heard was very involved with activism.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If you actually go to any relevant thread and check it, you'd immediately see your "this forum" comment is bullshit.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's always stupid when people's confirmation biases get in the way of the fact that almost every single thread that exists will have people on both sides of the debate.

You're on this forum, do you hold that view?

It's a big forum problem, especially one this large. Too many People only read or remember thread titles about some shitty topic, news story, or opinion and never the dozens of comments calling the OP or others out and yet walk away from it into another thread to complain about some ERA trope or hivemind.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big forum problem, especially one this large. Too many People only read or remember thread titles about some shitty topic, news story, or opinion and never the dozens of comments calling the OP or others out and yet walk away from it into another thread to complain about some ERA trope or hivemind.
Yep.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Like i said in the thread, i'm happy that the truth is now in the open and i hope that psycho gets what she deserves.

On the other side, YIKES at twitter , reddit and other corners of the web when the usual deplorable toads (Alt-Right, Incels, NeoGaf) are using this a ammo to start attcking the Me too movement and such , with shit likd #don'tbelieveallwomen and such. What a shit show.

Double YIKES because Heard was very involved with activism.

I think it's kind of shocking that all of the people and medias that trashed Depp for years are mad silent now. Hoping for Heard to have some miraculous turnaround that she's trying to come up with in the next few days.

I'm also seeing people say "we'll see who wins the lawsuit" as if it meant anything.

Defamation against public figures means you need to prove malicious intent. Heard only has to be declared bipolar and blame her mental illness for her behavior, then say she never named johnny depp in her piece and that's it, she's out, and Johnny lost.

This is horse shit and they're leaking everything before the trials to make sure people heard what was going on before the medias go "Johnny Depp lost, he was a liar" again.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just terrible. The world basically just magnified his abuse he was experiencing on a regular basis to a global scale. Glad the truth's out, but a host of damage has already been done. Deep personal issues shouldn't be this accessible to everyone at the world at large.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how the conversation keeps going this way. Believing victims is important. Depp was a victim who needed to be believed. He has been saying as much since day one, and the person he identified as his abuser has a previous history of abusing other partners. This whole thing happened because people didn't believe a victim.
This whole thing happened mainly because he is a male victim to be exact.

Mar 26, 2018
This is why it's best to take split 1 to 1 cases more lightly. You can normalize and label someone as something when you don't know. Often seen Johnny is a dbag on this forum and you would never be able to point to his word. You'd get shut down like you currently do in the Kobe situation. Again, I don't say I know I'm only stating we can't know with certainty

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Here is an incredibly neutral and fair analysis of the situation by a couple therapist.

He is being very prudent about everything.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
When all of this first broke, I

I'm just coming in here to say that I heard from someone in a band that Maynard had crossed the line sexually with a friend of theirs. It's third hand info, and there weren't any specific accusations, but I trust the person who told me to be extremely honest.

I'm not willing to declare he's guilty based off next to nothing with so many unknowns, but it's made me a bit cautious. For many actual abusers there was smoke swirling for years before anything came of it. I think having some doubts about people when accusations are thrown around is natural... But just blindly believing everything you read or hear is an incredibly harmful way of viewing the world.

What a fucking mess.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Here is an incredibly neutral and fair analysis of the situation by a couple therapist.

He is being very prudent about everything.

Firstly, it's not It's not "pretty uncool" to publish it... Amber has been attacking Johnny in public calling him a monster, Johnny has no choice but to release evidence as his career is being ruined.

I've listened to 45 minutes of this, and I don't buy at all from the audio that it's a both sides situation here. From all the evidence we have including this, it absolutely seems like Johnny is the victim of Amber's abuse.

He may have become physical at times, Amber might have legitimate trauma in her pas that helped create the way she deals with these things, but from everything... the character statements from previous partners, the complete lack of historical reported abuse from Johnny, the history of both people, the fact Amber went full tilt "he's a monster" while touring women's rights marches after their previous statements, this audio... it adds up to one thing imo.

Of course, we can never be 100% sure, and I'm not going to demonize Amber. I hope she gets help, but I also hope Johnny, if it is as it appears, receives some justice here.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
So, I'm a bit out of the loop with this. How's the mass media reporting it? I'm useless and can't find anything in Spanish mass media, so maybe you can help me out with something more international?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, it's not It's not "pretty uncool" to publish it... Amber has been attacking Johnny in public calling him a monster, Johnny has no choice but to release evidence as his career is being ruined.

I've listened to 45 minutes of this, and I don't buy at all from the audio that it's a both sides situation here. From all the evidence we have including this, it absolutely seems like Johnny is the victim of Amber's abuse.

He may have become physical at times, Amber might have legitimate trauma in her pas that helped create the way she deals with these things, but from everything... the character statements from previous partners, the complete lack of historical reported abuse from Johnny, the history of both people, the fact Amber went full tilt "he's a monster" while touring women's rights marches after their previous statements, this audio... it adds up to one thing imo.

Of course, we can never be 100% sure, and I'm not going to demonize Amber. I hope she gets help, but I also hope Johnny, if it is as it appears, receives some justice here.

He is not saying that, he is just being hypothetical.

And tries to cover all axes. But he does elaborate that this audio reveals a clear personality type for Amber.

Also, I just found out that it was known Amber's only witnesses (that didn't deny her version) received financial compensation from her.

EXCUSE ME ? ? ?

Here is a great article by someone that had not believed Depp at the time

medium.com

“If You Really Loved Me”: Johnny Depp & Amber Heard

We, as feminists, claim to be staunch allies to victims of domestic violence. That we must believe women when they say they feel abused…

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why it's best to take split 1 to 1 cases more lightly. You can normalize and label someone as something when you don't know. Often seen Johnny is a dbag on this forum and you would never be able to point to his word. You'd get shut down like you currently do in the Kobe situation. Again, I don't say I know I'm only stating we can't know with certainty
No idea why you'd bring "the Kobe situation" up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He is not saying that, he is just being hypothetical.

And tries to cover all axes. But he does elaborate that this audio reveals a clear personality type for Amber.
Yes he is saying that, literally, around the 44 minute mark.

EDIT: Wrong timestamp actually, will find...

see below

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes he is saying that, literally, around the 44 minute mark.

EDIT: Wrong timestamp actually, will find...

It's ok, don't have to, finish the video.

He is doing it little by little, but he's eventually saying in no way is he victim blaming Depp for not being able to reassure Heard. He is just explaining why the relationship is failing. He absolutely calls out Heard for her words that he says are "typical behavior of abusers" and people that "can't see themselves as the villain".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok, don't have to, finish the video.

He is doing it little by little, but he's eventually saying in no way is he victim blaming Depp for not being able to reassure Heard. He is just explaining why the relationship is failing. He absolutely calls out Heard for her words that he says are "typical behavior of abusers" and people that "can't see themselves as the villain".
From the 499:55 mark: "My impression is that they were definitely violent with each other, I'm guessing they were both terrified of each other's violence, and they were both perpetrators and victims".

Now, he does go on to say he can't tell if one was more than the other, but he's already said "both sides" here, and I have skipped to the end and heard the part you mention above, that doesn't change this part.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
From the 499:55 mark: "My impression is that they were definitely violent with each other, I'm guessing they were both terrified of each other's violence, and they were both perpetrators and victims".

Now, he does go on to say he can't tell if one was more than the other, but he's already said "both sides" here, and I have skipped to the end and heard the part you mention above, that doesn't change this part.

I mean, he's allowed to say what he wants, he gives a general impression based of his own experience with couples.

And based on what he heard so far + knowledge of the overall case.

His conclusions were not against Depp and he does say something very important about male victims.

And you don't have to agree with his careful position btw, I do not give a shred of credibility to Amber Heard anymore. But I still found that guy's input interesting overall.

Jan 18, 2018
I feel like people react so much to a story that whenever a truth like this comes out, people still hold on to an opinion formed from the lie.
Sometimes at the end of the day, when youre famous, people use your situation as a commodity to either prove a point, confirm an opinion, or attack others and no one really cares about the individuals involved.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only Siths deal in absolutes. Probably the wisest thing that came out of Star Wars (low bar admittedly). This is what happens when you take an absolutist approach and apply it to a totality of abuse cases with the effect that the accuser should always be presumed to be right and the accused always guilty. But it's not just that that presumption which is the problem. It's the unshatterable faith in the righteousness of the approach that causes the real issues. It's one thing to always, without exception, believe in victims. It's another to take that a step further and turn that belief into conviction and then go after the accused as if there is cast iron proof of the accusations.

As many people have said, it's case-by-case. And in almost all cases we don't and won't actually know beyond all doubt what happened. But that doesn't mean you can't make informed judgements or take the side of the victim when it's all 'he said, she said". You should do that. But you should also keep an open mind to other evidence or lack of evidence. How sure are you exactly? If you feel sure, why do you feel that way? And if you don't really have a concrete answer for that then maybe self-moderate your comments on the accused. One forum post doesn't do much damage but a million posts and tweets and status updates, all borne of the same ignorance add up to real world consequences, careers broken, lives ruined. You've got to take some responsibility if you;re part of a mob that brings someone down and that person turns out to be innocent. You played a part in that.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big Media completely ignored it. Only the smaller ones are reporting that can't lose a thing and hopefully only gain from it. The big ones are super afraid.

Still, that's not the end. The lawsuit won't be done until end of August so there's a lot time left and a lot more things that'll probably leak over time. There's also some reason to believe the case won't be done until after August as Johnny will tour with his band? Read that just somewhere now and closed the tab early but whatever. There will be some important dates where this case will be brought to peoples attention again, look out for those.

Edit: Not only this, I think this thing got big enough so as soon as Aquaman 2 starts more advertising, people will start making questions and it will probably get difficult for them to hide it. Also, let's see if every actor on the boat will stay silent, because I expect some to speak out.

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
She's toxic. I've seen this story play out many times with friends of mine. I don't want to make this about men vs. women, because I'm sure there was something he did that ticked her off, but we have to stop vilifying men when there's no proof. Did he ball into a corner as she threw stuff at him? Probably not. She definitely seemed like she started it, though. And there only but so many ways men can defend themselves without it being held against them. Sometimes it's not as simple as just walking away, unfortunately.

For the record, I do not condone violence against women.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Big Media completely ignored it. Only the smaller ones are reporting that can't lose a thing and hopefully only gain from it. The big ones are super afraid.

Still, that's not the end. The lawsuit won't be done until end of August so there's a lot time left and a lot more things that'll probably leak over time. There's also some reason to believe the case won't be done until after August as Johnny will tour with his band? Read that just somewhere now and closed the tab early but whatever. There will be some important dates where this case will be brought to peoples attention again, look out for those.

Edit: Not only this, I think this thing got big enough so as soon as Aquaman 2 starts more advertising, people will start making questions and it will probably get difficult for them to hide it. Also, let's see if every actor on the boat will stay silent, because I expect some to speak out.

It's a defamation case and Heard has 15 different loopholes she can exploit to get out of the malicious intent requirement.

So expect her to get off easy.

Leaking stuff to the public is basically the only way for Johnny to save his public image because the medias are just waiting for him to lose to try to destroy him again, so that they don't have to admit anything.

Right now they're literally waiting for Heard to find a believable enough spin so they can rely on that instead of doing the right thing.

What a fucking cursed time when Joe Rogan and The Quartering are gonna be the biggest outlets to speak of this. SMH

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a defamation case and Heard has 15 different loopholes she can exploit to get out of the malicious intent requirement.

So expect her to get off easy.

Leaking stuff to the public is basically the only way for Johnny to save his public image because the medias are just waiting for him to lose to try to destroy him again, so that they don't have to admit anything.

Right now they're literally waiting for Heard to find a believable enough spin so they can rely on that instead of doing the right thing.

What a fucking cursed time when Joe Rogan and The Quartering are gonna be the biggest outlets to speak of this. SMH

Yeah no, I know what you mean. He'll definitely lose the lawsuit. But in terms of public uproar I don't expect this to be the last one.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I wonder about the Hollywood reaction, will they stop blackballing Depp after that? What's going to happen to Heard? I assume nobody wants that negativity associated with their movie, and general public won't be as kind to Heard as media.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think media and this forum would learn from this, but I know they won't. Hell, you see the same thing happening with Jeremy Renner. Accusations in a divorce dispute that he abused his wife and suddenly people are ready to believe he's a dude that tried to assassinate his wife with zero proof. The whole point of "Believe Women" is to take every accusation seriously, not to blindly believe everything you're told. When a women claims abuse or sexual misconduct, that allegation should be taken very seriously and investigated. I've seen "innocent until proven guilty" thrown around, but that only matters in a court of law, not the court of public opinion. And, a court of law can only find someone either guilty or not guilty, it cannot find them innocent. Casey Anthony murdered her child, she was found not guilty. The Central Park Five were found guilty, yet they were all innocent.

This is not to say that the courts are meaningless, only that they are the end all regarding to the public's opinion on a matter. What we can do is independently look at all the evidence in an accusation and come to a conclusion. When MULTIPLE people call out Harvey Weinstein with specific allegations going back a course of years, then it's highly unlikely that they aren't telling the truth. We don't need to wait for a trial to know that Weinstein was a serial rapist and abuser. On the other hand, when you have one accusation, with little evidence supporting it from an individual with an abusive past, maybe we should not cast judgment too early, ESPECIALLY in a divorce proceeding.

Honestly, in the context of divorce proceedings you should pretty much never believe any one side. Divorce proceedings are nasty and each side will say the nastiest things about the other to gain a one-up in the case. You should always be highly skeptical of anything that comes out of a divorce proceeding since each side has something to gain.

But again, I doubt anything will change. People are quick to cast judgment so they can appear that they are pure and righteous.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Interesting development.
Problem is, it's not really a new development. Pretty much everything from the beginning was telling us something is off here, and all fingers pointed to Amber. But apparently a man being the victim of abuse is too incoveivable of an idea for some progressives to fathom.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Amber in this audio sound so much as the abuser in the relationship. I remember the wife of a friend that sound just like her and it is not pretty sign.

Just found Musk in the mix

Aug 24, 2019

Last edited:

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I wonder about the Hollywood reaction, will they stop blackballing Depp after that? What's going to happen to Heard? I assume nobody wants that negativity associated with their movie, and general public won't be as kind to Heard as media.
Saw a petition going around to get her away from aquaman 2, had over 70k signs last time I saw it on Sunday.

Edit: it's at 133k now

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

Rightfully so, it's one thing to be an abuser, but to also tear his name into the mud getting him basically blacklisted is crazy.
It's psychopathic, she made millions after the divorce and decided to burn his reputation anyway, probably enjoyed years of his suffering too. It's only fair if she'll get the same in return.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you're ever in a relationship with a Cluster B type, particularly a narcissistic or borderline, it's a really really good idea to record them for future self protection. Been there.

Nov 9, 2017
Specifically, men do a trash job of supporting other men. There's a very clear reason for the discrepancy.

There have been quite a few instances of men trying to support other men who have been through abuse on this forum. The people who have been courageous enough to report their abuse have had their experiences downplayed as insignificant and/or exaggerated.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Modwhining and Misrepresenting Moderation; Prior Severe Bans for Bigotry
There have been quite a few instances of men trying to support other men who have been through abuse on this forum. The people who have been courageous enough to report their abuse have had their experiences downplayed as insignificant and/or exaggerated.

Because you have to walk on eggshells around here. Supporting those men may be interpreted as male rights activism and your post will get reported and then you will get banned. It's mob rule.

The assaults that occur against men are almost never punished.

If I had done half of the things to women that have been done to me by women I would be serving hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.