• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
As I said, I didn't mean to accuse you and upon reflection I could have made my point without quoting you directly. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, being victim to abuse like his can be an incredible weight and a difficult thing to speak about.
It's really okay. Your point was valid. I simply underestimated my own sensitivity when deciding to post. I am still at work and am regrettably not prepared for the distress I've inadvertently brought on myself by immersing in this particular subject. I find it best I do not partake in challenging conversations when my constitution is not sturdy. But there are no hard feelings.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, that wasn't my intention at all. This could not be further from the truth. I was just trying to differentiate my own experience from this situation. Discussing the details of my abuse is really uncomfortable and stressful and I just wanted to clarify something that made mine different without sharing details.

The reason I said that was because I internalized my abuse as a masculine responsibility and made no effort to defend myself ever. I would often crouch on the floor, or brace myself against a wall, while she wailed on me until she was too tired to continue. At most I would plead for her to stop. This traumatic and humiliating experience was predictable and persistent. Often I would drive her back to her house in silence knowing she was going to beat me when we got there. But I always went in the house. The shame I felt, and still feel, for never attempting to defend myself against someone who treated me so inhumanely has permanently affected my self worth.

It was perhaps unwise for me to post here, so I'm going to check out now. Please take care.

Hey, thank you for opening up and sorry that you had to go through this. Was really hard to read and I hope you're doing better.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
T_T feels bad man..

I remember another Era thread about a famous band member accused by A NEW anonymous Twitter user of rape. The usual people tried to say we must believe in this accusation .. which is insane because anyone can make a new twitter account just to troll/or have an agenda. They never waited for more information to come out

In the end it was fake all along.

Is that the Conor Oberst thing?

I have a friend in real life that was falsely accused of rape. I know the accusation was fake because I was present at the alleged rape. Because of this I was ghosted and gaslighted along with all the others who knew the truth. To this day there are people in our community that shun my accused friend. When #metoo happened the 'victim' started spreading the accusations all over again. The crazy thing is it was all a cover story about regretted infidelity. How much of a sociopath do you have to be in order to wreck somebody else's life to protect your own reputation?

So yeah, false rape claims are very real. Of course, real rapes are far more common. The false rape claims hurt the real victims. I almost never mention my friend's situation in real life because people think you aren't an ally, that you don't #believethewomen, etc.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
EPzzJcZXUAAaKiT
Legitimately crushing to read.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Believe women" means believe women when they tell you that abuse is common. It means believe them when they tell you it can even be daily, even a constant stream, and that we need to listen to them and take action where we can.

It was never meant to mean "believe every accusation 100% without question and immediately demonize the accused", and anyone taking it that far is only causing harm.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
I can't imagine how it feels like to get abused like that by someone, just to then get accused of doing to that someone what in reality he did to you. Loosing your career, knowing everyone thinks you are something you are not. All while dealing with an alcohol addiction and self-destructive tendencies. How can anyone deal with something like that?
I hope this gets some traction in the media. He deserves to get his name cleared in the public eye.

She had the balls to film this, what a fucking psychopath.

My god, that's so fucked up. What a Psychopath, literally. I find this even more chilling to watch than the tape. Gives me Gone Girl vibes

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how the conversation keeps going this way. Believing victims is important. Depp was a victim who needed to be believed. He has been saying as much since day one, and the person he identified as his abuser has a previous history of abusing other partners. This whole thing happened because people didn't believe a victim.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory drive-by
"Believe women" means believe women when they tell you that abuse is common. It means believe them when they tell you it can even be daily, even a constant stream, and that we need to listen to them and take action where we can.

It was never meant to mean "believe every accusation 100% without question and immediately demonize the accused", and anyone taking it that far is only causing harm.
Eh.

The implicit argument has always been "don't believe men."

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Mod-Whining, Misrepresenting Moderation and Attacking Other Members Over Several Posts; Numerous Prior Bans for Hostility
None of this is true. Ban length in those threads were only two weeks, as was standard for refuting allegations of assault at the time. Only a single ban of this nature was issued in that original thread. You can look through the threads yourself as they succeeded each other. Like with any high profile controversy thread, guidelines were put in place to discourage rampant speculation and conspiracy. People who crossed these guidelines received the standard two week ban, which were uncommon. It is not hard to go through these topics from the beginning and see this. You can also see the staff posts that say that of course new information can be discussed and examined as it comes out.
This is BS. People were permanently banned. Bans were handed out for the tinniest of things like " something sounds off" or "I'm not saying I dont believe him, but we need more info." Of course you can go back, look and not see anything because those bans were reversed and comments edited or removed. I forgot which mod it was, but he was going off on everyone and it was because that thread that he got removed as a mod. It was a shitshow and an embarrassment for Era.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

The problem stems from the demonizing and not the believing every accusation.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The problem stems from the demonizing and not the believing every accusation.
there's a difference between a woman standing up in public and making an accusation and a random twitter account being created just to make one. So, no, sometimes you shouldn't just believe 100% without question.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

I have a friend in real life that was falsely accused of rape. I know the accusation was fake because I was present at the alleged rape. Because of this I was ghosted and gaslighted along with all the others who knew the truth. To this day there are people in our community that shun my accused friend. When #metoo happened the 'victim' started spreading the accusations all over again. The crazy thing is it was all a cover story about regretted infidelity. How much of a sociopath do you have to be in order to wreck somebody else's life to protect your own reputation?

So yeah, false rape claims are very real. Of course, real rapes are far more common. The false rape claims hurt the real victims. I almost never mention my friend's situation in real life because people think you aren't an ally, that you don't #believethewomen, etc.

It's the Guy from Tool and Trent Reznor

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Every time there is an accusation of abuse, I just hope that enough evidence is available for the victim to be able to get justice. Believe women is important, but its not enough for prosecution. And that makes it harder for the victims to get the justice they deserve, so its important to compartmentalize "Believe the victim" from "arrest the accused".

We can believe a story but understand that there is not enough evidence to convict the alleged perpetrator. Innocent until proven guilty is the backbone of the judicial system for a reason.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
This BS. People were permanently banned. Bans were handed out for the tinniest of things like " something sounds off" or "I'm not saying I dont believe him, but we need more info." Of course you can go back, look and not see anything because those bans were reversed and comments edited or removed. I forgot which mod it was, but he was going off on everyone and it was because that thread that he got removed as a mod. It was a shitshow and an embarrassment for Era.
why yes, i certainly do choose to believe that one of the mods went rogue and banned everyone without discussing it first

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
The hate towards Depp when the news came out was horrible. Goes to show that while stepping up for the victims is important, we should wait for all the facts before jumping to conclusions and condemn someone in the public square.

Yup! While I am happy some scumbag male celebrities are getting their just deserts, we should really wait for evidence or an admittance of guilt before condemning someone that has some sort of allegation against them. My fear is that some people will or are making false allegations for their own benefit.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
On-topic, I can't remember if I even posted in the thread to begin with back on GAF, but I do remember feeling some type of way when I was watching Fantastic Beasts after hearing about the allegations. Even for something that minor, I do feel like I should apologize for it.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On-topic, I can't remember if I even posted in the thread to begin with back on GAF, but I do remember feeling some type of way when I was watching Fantastic Beasts after hearing about the allegations. Even for something that minor, I do feel like I should apologize for it.
I made a post linking to the other threads a few pages back. You didn't make a post in the Fantastic Beasts thread. You're good, there's no need to apologize.

Nov 14, 2017
Agreed.

I've been looking at past threads and there are so many active posters that have commented on this situation "both siding" this and at the same time condemning Depp while the very few that condemned Heard have received bans and/or backlash.
The Fantastic Beasts thread in particular went super hard on Depp. Granted, I think this was before Depp accused Heard of abusing him. Feel free to correct me on that last bit.
www.resetera.com

Fantastic Beasts Director Explains Why He Isn't Firing Johnny Depp

Yates also said this: Source: https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/fantastic-beasts-director-explains-why-he-isnt-fir/1100-6455269/ Fuck Yates and fuck this film
Even when Depp accused Heard of shitting on their bed, the OP in which this news was talked about dismissed him as being the one lying and if she did do it, was played off for laughs.
www.resetera.com

Johnny Depp accuses Amber Heard of shitting in his bed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/johnny-depp-accuses-ex-wife-amber-heard-of-pooing-in-their-bed/news-story/dfc56658512a09be02aef3222fe4ec4d
It wasn't until finally, earlier last year, Depp came out that he was abused by his ex-wife and the finger picture was circulating. Even then, people had doubts and the people who didn't have doubts that Heard did this, still viewed Depp unfavorably.

It was just a mess all around, and I hope more people that have commented on this previously comment on it now that waaay more info has been revealed.
There was an article by Doug Stanhope accusing Heard of abusing Depp as far back as '16.

That's what has always troubled me about this situation, even though I've never followed it closely. I always assumed they were in a mutually toxic / abusive relationship, as there were many reports of him seeking medical attention due to various injuries. It never made sense to me that Depp should get all the blame.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why yes, i certainly do choose to believe that one of the mods went rogue and banned everyone without discussing it first
One went way too far and permabanned a ton of people. I think it may have been former mod Bronson. Either way it was a dumb and people were automatically branded victim blamers:
[Mod Edit: Content harassing other members removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is BS. People were permanently banned. Bans were handed out for the tinniest of things like " something sounds off" or "I'm not saying I dont believe him, but we need more info." Of course you can go back, look and not see anything because those bans were reversed and comments edited or removed. I forgot which mod it was, but he was going off on everyone and it was because that thread that he got removed as a mod. It was a shitshow and an embarrassment for Era.
Did you think maybe the dude who was on the staff has a better idea of what happened than you might

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Regardless, it needs to happen otherwise this forum will end up tearing itself apart. At the very least, mods need to stop handing out bans for people who are asking for calm and wanting to wait for more information.
That's not going to be able to happen because it's obvious coming from several people in this thread that stating you're waiting for more info is a dog whistle. If it's either shut up or get banned for saying you need more info then idk what can be done.

This whole thing could have ended up worse.Depp was in such a bad place. It's great he had some people actually defending him even if it led to people shitting on them too.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I don't understand how the conversation keeps going this way. Believing victims is important. Depp was a victim who needed to be believed. He has been saying as much since day one, and the person he identified as his abuser has a previous history of abusing other partners. This whole thing happened because people didn't believe a victim.
Because some people aren't smart enough to simply believe the victim. They think supporting the victim translates into trashing the accused without any evidence.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've been in a very similar situation. Most accusations are real, and believing women absolutely is the best policy. But it can also be frustrating when there actually is a false accusation that you know about or reasonably suspect, because if you say anything you're going to be cast in a horrible light. I don't know what the answer is, but it can't be the way we currently do things.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until saint Lad and lord sire Leo sees this. It is getting out of hand just like that time Amber Heard beat up her girlfriend in 2009 and everyone forgot about it.

#RecastMeraForAquamanDos
272062609090412545.png

Pls Saint Lad recast her nao.

Depp deserves apologies from everyone that jumped to try and ruin his career.

Heard had history of violence yet that aint counted for shiet.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling in a sensitive thread
Just wait until saint Lad and lord sire Leo sees this. It is getting out of hand just like that time Amber Heard beat up her girlfriend in 2009 and everyone forgot about it.

#RecastMeraForAquamanDos

Just saw it and my heart aches. Thoughts and prayers are with Johnny Depp

#Meraout
#RecastHombreAguaTwo

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not going to be able to happen because it's obvious coming from several people in this thread that stating you're waiting for more info is a dog whistle. If it's either shut up or get banned for saying you need more info then idk what can be done.

This whole thing could have ended up worse.Depp was in such a bad place. It's great he had some people actually defending him even if it led to people shitting on them too.
The notion that some people think waiting for more info is a dog whistle is quite frankly an opinion I find to be alarming. People need to realize that you can both still be supportive to the victim while simultaneously wait for more information to properly asses the situation. Hopefully Johnny Depp's condition and career can recover.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017

same , but happened with a friend on social media , he was freaking out
and it left me in a tough situation , cause i knew him all my life and i'm suddenly supposed to not trust me ? it left me with much more understanding of friends and family who are left in such a weird spot
he was proven innocent , but he was left with a burning disdain for the leftists and advocates who joined in against, and i cant really tell him to let it go, it was mad traumatic

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The way the medias are handling this is rather shameful.

But I get why. This is going to set a huge precedent so nobody wants to throw the first stone.

Also Heard is actively trying to find a way to spin this and find some incriminating audio of Johnny to restore balance.

Problem being that even balance isnt enough anymore. Because if one day she locked the door so that he couldnt get away and he snapped, this is in no way the same as what she had claimed for 4 years. And that's assuming we can even believe anyhing from her anymore.

She has been caught lying about the police reports TWICE and doctored evidence in this case ( fake texts that were stripped from metadata and denied by the people involved).

I wonder what's next.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I'm having an argument with an RL friend right now about this fucking subject out of nowhere messaging me in the morning.

Like wtf..saying he can't trust what depp is saying in the audio
Making conclusions and justifications "She hit him because he didn't go home" and that makes it right?

Last edited:

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bunch of media types and journalist have to admit they were wrong after god knows how many stories and articles they wrote about this? Good luck with that. Probably waiting for the next trump gaffe to over shadow this so they don't have to respond to it themselves.
It doesn't fit the narrative, so don't expect there to be much discussion. I visit some feminist sites (MarySue, Jezebel) and I can't tell you how many "Fuck Depp" or "Go Amber Heard" articles are on there, but nothing about this.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
It doesn't fit the narrative, so don't expect there to be much discussion. I visit some feminist sites (MarySue, Jezebel) and I can't tell you how many "Fuck Depp" or "Go Amber Heard" articles are on there, but nothing about this.

I frequent GamerGhazi and him being in the HP movies was used as flack against Rowling(not that you even need much given all the other awful shot about her) so you can tell he was not well liked there. When the news broke out and the thread happened, there was so much "both sides" that ot made me feel ill with anger. Like, how hard is it to fucki g bite the bullet and admit you were wrong? Like I fell for this BS and feel repugnant and awful given I should've known better and waited for more info to come out, but otherwise have no problem admitting I fucked up and to do better. It feels gross and wrong of them, like the instant they're tasked to step up they fucking choke and skulk off into the shadows hoping it goes away instead of doing the right thing and apologizing and owning that they fucked up.

Edit: Of fucking course the thread on GamerGhazi got locked. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

The spirit of it, sure.

However, in practice (and this forum is very guilty of this as well), I feel like the demonization of the accused almost feels like it takes priority over everything else.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The spirit of it, sure.

However, in practice (and this forum is very guilty of this as well), I feel like the demonization of the accused almost feels like it takes priority over everything else.
"This forum" is not guilty of anything as it's not a hive mind, as my post says people who take it too far cause harm and those people are everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.