• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah one problem with that, is that the police looked into the claim and could not corroborate it. The trial that was non public also did not come to the conclusion that Depp abused her.

And the house security people sided with Depp. That's the leaked testimony of the guy mentioned in the audio tape.

D-wMB4IXsAEP1rn

None of Amber's witness have seen Depp be violent towards her, they only heard it from Amber, and in one instance, witnessed a bruise (that is contested by a Depp witness but it could have been hidden by make up).

While Depp had several testimonies saying they literally saw abuse from Amber done to him.

The audio also confirmed what Depp had said about her pushing drugs on him which came out of left field when we first heard of it.

But more importantly, with all the awful things that came out, it's clear the source of the violent nature of their relationship was caused by her (and she had already had these kinds of problems in the past, and admits she can't stop herself, while he never have and his past lovers defended him).
So we're at a point where him hitting her (if he did hit her) could also have been self defense or a desperate move caused by months of abuse.

Since then she has been posing as an inspirational human rights and MeToo ambassador while Depp was left rotting.
So I'm not going to take anything she says without evidence at face value.

Exactly this. I can't understand how quick people were to blame the first time around, but now would like to be diplomatic in their stance. Maybe always be like that to begin with ? Irrespective of what anyone's opinion is, I commend someone like JK Rowling. She stood up for him and cast him in such a big role despite every big studio dropping Depp without any concrete evidence.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This case, much like a case last year which shall remain un-named, had some red flags people chose to ignore.

The big red flags here were Amber's ex-gf coming out and saying Amber was abusive. Meanwhile, every woman in Depp's life from ex-wives to his daughter were quick to say they'd never experienced him being abusive or be abusive to someone else. Abusive behavior doesn't usually start at fucking 50, yo.

Having said that, this sucks. There are men just waiting to go all "see, women be lying". No, amber's just lying. Women in general typically aren't.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Vanessa Paradis come to his defense at the time saying at least he was never abusive to her? It's cool that at least some people had faith in him during that time.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Guess I owe Depp an apology. I definitely thought he was a perpetrator in this case. I don't know if he got physical with Heard or not, but even if it happened this tape makes an issue much more blurry. Sometimes people just have enough of others abuse and it can get violent.

Also shows that getting outraged without knowing all the facts is pretty fucking dumb. Too bad most of us (including myself) are going to forget that pretty quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is hard to think about. Johnny could have hurt himself after all the damage and shit people gave him even though he was the one being abused.

Glad this got out and hopefully he will get the help and support he deserves after all this mess.

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
I remember seeing a video where he awkwardly joked that he ate his finger. Now we know he was badly hurt from abuse.

It's horrifying to know that she almost succeeded in putting all the blame on him. I hope he can get his career back together.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very disturbing to listen too, it was hard to keep going and I had to stop.

People were targeting my posts right in the early stages of the accusation, as I was saying, we needed to wait and not direct our accusations right away, to not victimize Johnny right away. People were claiming I was sticking to a middle or was a bystander allowing domestic violence or was part of the problem by not taking an immediate reaction of the echo chamber. This is something I hope people can grow and learn from the next time though.

We need to be supportive, skeptical, but reaffirming we are serious and that these accusations should be taken to court so justice can be served.

Having said that, this sucks. There are men just waiting to go all "see, women be lying". No, amber's just lying. Women in general typically aren't.
I'm more worried that people who immediately outed and victimized Johnny, don't learn to reserve their immediate reaction to an accusation. Or worse, justifying that victimizing the accused early on is fine because _____.

Last edited:

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Guess I owe Depp an apology. I definitely thought he was a perpetrator in this case. I don't know if he got physical with Heard or not, but even if it happened this tape makes an issue much more blurry. Sometimes people just have enough of others abuse and it can get violent.

Also shows that getting outraged without knowing all the facts is pretty fucking dumb. Too bad most of us (including myself) are going to forget that pretty quickly.

Hey man, just wanna say how cool it is to see some honest to goodness self reflection here. Seen too many people lately get defensive when their previous attitude has been shaken. Anyway kudos.

-

Hopefully Johnny can get the support he needs and can get his career back on track. 90s-mid2000s Depp is GOAT. Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Donnie Brasco, From Hell, Sleepy Hollow, Blow, Gilbert Grape and PotC1 are fantastic.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

You and me both man 😥 I had written him off. I feel really shitty. We need to be more critical of the media in general.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this. I can't understand how quick people were to blame the first time around, but now would like to be diplomatic in their stance. Maybe always be like that to begin with ? Irrespective of what anyone's opinion is, I commend someone like JK Rowling. She stood up for him and cast him in such a big role despite every big studio dropping Depp without any concrete evidence.

For the record, JK Rownling has outed herself to be quite a big piece of shit, so you shouldn't praise her.

But you can praise Jude Law and Erza Miller from those films, that had defended Depp and had nothing but nice things to say about him.

Didn't Vanessa Paradis come to his defense at the time saying at least he was never abusive to her? It's cool that at least some people had faith in him during that time.

Every single one of his past lovers and female co-workers came out to defend him. Even his first wife.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Hey man, just wanna say how cool it is to see some honest to goodness self reflection here. Seen too many people lately get defensive when their previous attitude has been shaken. Anyway kudos.
You and me both man 😥 I had written him off. I feel really shitty. We need to be more critical of the media in general.
Yeah. I'm glad he didn't do anything to himself. If something happened and this report came after that I'd felt like his blood is on my hands.

I hope he can rebuild his career, a few "we're sorry" roles are probably already in the making.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. I'm glad he didn't do anything to himself. If something happened and this report came after that I'd felt like his blood is on my hands.

I hope he can rebuild his career, a few "we're sorry" roles are probably already in the making.
I hope he's okay in himself. I can't imagine the trauma of not just being abused but also the whole world thinking you did it. Must have drove him crazy.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we need a genuine and honest discourse about cancel culture in our hyper-woke spaces asap. It's great that people here openly admit to be wrong, but sensationalism in media and our inability to wait out of what is really going on is just fodder for an extremely toxic mob mentality.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is quite the twist.

I hope Heard will get at least the same scrutiny that Depp got, because whew...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but is this a jail-able offence? She pretty much ruined a lot of his life.

No, because at the end of the day all we know is that she lied but we still can't know 100% of the story which means it can't meet legal standards required.

And she hadn't named him directly in her damning pieces. Which is also why he probably will lose the defamation suit, as celebrities need very specific evidence to qualify. They're leaking all of this to make sure the public knows of it before he "loses" the case and looks like he had no receipt.

Oct 30, 2017
This is true. I went thru it for six months, even though I never hit her. I sometimes think she wanted me to so I'd go down for something she started.

Made me think everything was my fault. Eventually lost my job, my credit, my apartment after all that.

That was 12 years ago. I'm much better off now. But that was the absolute worst time of my life. And I can wholeheartedly defend Johnny. I went thru the same shit.
Been there, bro. Worst time of my life, without question. Total nightmare. Lost friends, failed out of uni.
when I got out of it, I didn't date anyone for about 8 years. I didn't trust myself to make good decisions, and being alone was better than that.
Now got an amazing fam, great career, but I'd be lying if I don't still get terrified and depressed thinking about the time dating an abuser.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
No, because at the end of the day all we know is that she lied but we still can't know 100% of the story which means it can't meet legal standards required.

And she hadn't named him directly in her damning pieces. Which is also why he probably will lose the defamation suit, as celebrities need very specific evidence to qualify. They're leaking all of this to make sure the public knows of it before he "loses" the case and looks like he had no receipt.

Ah you're probably right, yeah. God I don't know how someone can be so utterly manipulative.

Agreed.

What I'm reading here is that some people have learned nothing from this experience. Apparently the forum choices are join the dogpile, keep your mouth shut, or get banned.

It is a shame, but you're right, that's been the trend I've noticed over the years.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it's a product of frequency and culture. People, including the men themselves feel like they cannot be abused, harassed, assaulted etc in many cases. Especially if it's by a woman. It's a product of sexism inherent to our culture. Part of what makes masculinity so toxic in some ways. And I don't mean this as a way to blame men, in the same way women are victims to it. Men are as well. We're just at a cultural point where the shift which should be helping everyone isn't really benefiting men in the same way as women, because men are in most respects the ones with power. Depp is a victim of that, because culture dictates that he SHOULD be the abuser, in a circumstance like this. Because how could a woman, much less a beautiful woman be the abuser. It simply doesn't line up with the image and expectation that humans rely on to basically function lol. That's what makes it all the ickier, it reveals the ignorance or our society and that people are people. And people can and do nasty things regardless of sex or gender. So we really need to stop treating people like that is an indicator of behavior.

TLDR because I waxed poetic like an idiot. People are capable of horrible things and capable of being the victim regardless of their sex or gender. So it's up to us to treat everyone the same in these respects and not pre-judge.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I owe Depp an apology.

And Fuck Heard.

Didn't Depp get kicked off Pirates because of this, that fucking sucks.

Get him back on for fuck sake.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Listening to this just takes me straight back to 9 years ago. It was like listening to my ex. Twisting my words, goading me, blackmailing me, hitting me over silly little things over 3 years to the point one day she went nuts over a sat nav, hit me in the arm and I instinctively hit her straight back in the arm. That made me question my belief that I wasn't the woman beater she kept insisting I was because I did that the one time. Damn I feel sorry for him.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for more information isn't really an opinion, it's the lack of one, it's passively waiting until a future date that may potentially never come to form an opinion

That's unfair. You're giving more value to a knee-jerky opinion than a wait-and-see approach. And stuff like this shows that "let's wait for the facts" is useful advice in threads like this. To be honest, it's useful advice for life in general. You don't have to have an opinion the moment you read about something, it's okay to want more information. I'd go as far as to say that that is a problem with todays internet hive mind mentality. But that's going a little bit off-topic.
Regarding this issue in particular, this episode shouldn't demove people from standing with the victims. But when someone comes into threads like this and says "let's wait for all the facts" they're not saying "is an abusive relationship bad? I don't know, let's wait for the facts", they're saying "is this particular person an abuser? i don't know, let's wait for the facts". Waiting before disgracing someone in the public square shouldn't be considered an attack towards the victim.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
User Banned (1 Week): False equivalence
Ohh, have the cancel-culture-people finally noticed, that they are just mobbing everyone at slightest accusation and without any real proof? Let's see if people will learn something from this, or forget it in few days, and continue as before.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Ohh, have the cancel-culture-people finally noticed, that they are just mobbing everyone at slightest accusation and without any real proof? Let's see if people will learn something from this, or forget it in few days, and continue as before.

I'm glad at least some people are apologizing, he was absolutely eviscerated on here every time his name came up.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Poor guy. I hope she pays for the cruel harm she inflicted.

I can't imagine how an abusive relationship works, so I just stick to hearing people's stories of being in one, and that makes them
more terrifying to me.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't have much faith in the rule of law as far as doling out proper justice in matters like these a lot of the time, I hope that this case can at least walk back the culture of twitter lynch mobs and cancelling people before information starts to develop. People are way too reactionary these days. Fair enough making some noise to bring attention to a case to get a trial/probe going but drawing a line in the sand and asking people, "which side of history do you want to be on?" over a line or a tweet or an article is preposterous. I know there are a lot of assholes out there with horrible views on women on the receiving end of abuse or doubtful that anything took place assuming opportunism or some other bs like that. I don't have to be on the opposite end of that spectrum to be "right". The woman is probably telling the truth but it's hard to have a proper idea of the balance of power in a domestic violence case with limited information. Also, men can be abused too.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I figured they were just kind of toxic and shitty to each other. I never believed he hit her but outside of that bottle being thrown and cutting his finger tip, which I thought was a one-off accident, I didn't think she'd be this bad. Hope this opens the door for Depp to bounce back.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Apparently Heard is also a Human Rights Champion. Her agent and PR team leveraged the hell out of this situation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for more information isn't really an opinion, it's the lack of one, it's passively waiting until a future date that may potentially never come to form an opinion
People were waiting for more information on Depp, not Heard. More info on Heard got dropped a long time ago

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Damn. I owe him an apology too. I usually like to wait and see but I guess I kind of subconsciously cancelled him in the meantime. I didn't throw him under the bus completely since I knew he was fighting the accusations, but I stopped supporting his films, which retrospectively is pretty shitty since he seems to have been the victim.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It was especially shitty seeing so many people dismiss Depp's defenders, especially the women close to him. Or worse, calling them paid shills.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I think we need a genuine and honest discourse about cancel culture in our hyper-woke spaces asap. It's great that people here openly admit to be wrong, but sensationalism in media and our inability to wait out of what is really going on is just fodder for an extremely toxic mob mentality.

It's not even the "wait for confirmation" the issue here, we had Heard words vs Depp word plus all the other people who came to defend him (including all of his female co-workers, wife etc.). We even had confirmation that she already had a history of abuse, yet nobody was willing to believe Depp, so waiting for proofs didn't even matter. I'm just glad Depp didn't do anything reckless while people were painting him as a monster (imagine being the real victim, while all the media is calling you an abuser).
She took advantage of the metoo movement, destroyed Depp career (but he still got some jobs, because I guess a lot of movie industry workers close to him actually knew the truth) to boost her own, while in reality she was the real abuser. Such an evil person.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Vile honestly, and something that erodes causes on all sides. Gives ammunition to the minds of people who seek to dismiss abuse claims from women and helps further entrench men in abusive relationships as the escape feels walled off behind public scrutiny, toxic masculinity and condemnation. An undeniably hellish position to have been in for him.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Please remember that Johnny Depp's case has always been unique.

This is, in no way, an invitation to claim you should never believe victims without hard proof.

In a lot of situations proof is very hard to get, so you have to judge history and character, of both the victim and the accused. And when multiple victims speak out then it's easy to decide.

For instance, here, if the MIRACLE hadn't happened, and Amber's own recordings hadn't been stolen (those tapes are hers), and given to Johnny's team, you would have NEVER believed Depp.

We know this because the testimonies he had given from a dozen people had already leaked last year and nobody gave a fuck.
This audio actually confirms one of the testimony on top of being damning on its own.

Every time he said he was a victim he was called a liar and to "get fucked".

But like, you waited for a miraculous proof to believe the right victim.

Do you understand why you can't do that in every case ? What if this proof never came (OR SHE DELETED IT) ? He would still be in hell.

Here you had all of Johnny's past lovers and female coworkers swearing he was always gentle and never ever violent. And he's not young so any vice of the sort would have came out. It's not a rule but it is rare enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.

And without questioning if what Amber Heard had said was true (like we now can), asking why it happened and how it happened, waiting for both parties to clarify, may have been smarter because she had a bad history.

It's a one time thing that applies to this situation.

Not a "never believe until I see hard evidence" lesson. Because that's gonna lead right back to where we were before.

It's not even the "wait for confirmation" the issue here, we had Heard words vs Depp word plus all the other people who came to defend him (including all of his female co-workers, wife etc.). We even had confirmation that she already had a history of abuse, yet nobody was willing to believe Depp, so waiting for proofs didn't even matter. I'm just glad Depp didn't do anything reckless while people were painting him as a monster (imagine being the real victim, while all the media is calling you an abuser).
She took advantage of the metoo movement, destroyed Depp career (but he still got some jobs, because I guess a lot of movie industry workers close to him actually knew the truth) to boost her own, while in reality she was the real abuser. Such an evil person.

I remember when medias were trying to get Zhoe Kravitz to trash Depp, and they asked her "so now you have to play in a film starring Johnny Depp ... How do you feel about that ... ?"

"Stoked ! Big fan !"

And Amber Heard got mad offended on twitter.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
People better record a lot. Because other people will judge anyway. We still don't know everything right now. We do know that she was abusive though. Wow, what a gift for JD that SHE recorded it....

Oct 26, 2017
This is the most embarassing misplaced crucifixion of a public person in a long time, Depp got his life destoyed by accusations coming from the very same person that was abusing HIM.

Everybody who shat on Depp should be deeply ashamed, yeah you should believe the victims but don't go on a fucking crusade. He was sentenced as guilty by people on social media the moment the initial accusation came out, he didn't even have a chance to make his own case heard. I hate the internet sometimes.

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence
They'll learn nothing, most of these people are extremists that are just set in their ways, if they weren't they wouldn't behave like that in the first place. Just like MAGA hatters and the likes.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Depp is a saint for putting up with this and dealing with it in such a level headed way. I can't imagine what it must've felt like to have everyone assume you're an abuser.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel bad for Johnny Depp. I and most of the world didn't believe him but here is the evidence, plain as day.

Status
Not open for further replies.