• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's because at the time with the information that is available there is usually only one right opinion. It doesn't do much good to share an opinion in the moment that downplays something for a future date that may never come, if you feel like you want to wait to have an opinion you can do that but I don't know what kind of discussion it is to post it.

Like if it comes out someone allegedly did a racist thing, and the whole thread is talking about how racism sucks and talking about how they are effected by it and sharing those perspectives, and saying they are disappointed with the person, someone jumping in to say "I dunno, just going to wait for the facts or more info" could be seen as kind of pointless at best and dismissive of ongoing discussion at worst.

And, I bet I could find plenty of times where people said they wanted to wait for more info and no action was taken. It can very much depend on the topic.

Edit: And I'm not dismissing you entirely or anything, you could be right, that's just my take on it but I don't want to turn this into a meta shitshow, I think if people have issues with the site they should interface with the people who have the ability to change it, not just throw it out into a thread where it's possible nobody will even see it just becomes an unconstructive gripefest based on feelings with nobody bringing forth data to prove their position.

Nah it's entirely reasonable to say "lets wait for more information." It's the foundation of all first-world justice systems. The highlighted sentence would entirely justify blaming Depp for all abuse a few months ago "based on all information available at the time."

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i am glad depp will get publically exonerated. he was abused and shouldn't have. sucks no one really believed him before or his character witnesses.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy how some people are still going "oh this just means they're both abusers" when all the photos, audio, and Amber's history points to her being the primary abuser, even if some of her allegations turn out to be true there are instances where the Victim fights back and all signs are pointing to Depp being the victim, it's really situations like these that show why many male victims are afraid to come forward, because it's never just them as the victim it always turns to "what did he do" or " they're both obviously abusers"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing that many people don't always grasp

When a thread comes out about accusations, it is always acceptable to just not post at all. You don't need to post saying "I'm waiting for the facts"

It is okay to just wait for the facts. Often times I do this myself, where I read through a thread and gauge how things are going and see what there is as far as proof goes, and won't post at all.

It's perfectly okay to not opine about every single thing. That goes for things like this, racism, sexism, transphobia, etc.
But shouldn't it also be okay to share that opinion? If there are unknowns to the story it shouldn't be considered wrong to point them out

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Nah it's entirely reasonable to say "lets wait for more information." It's the foundation of all first-world justice systems. The highlighted sentence would entirely justify blaming Depp for all abuse a few months ago "based on all information available at the time."
This is an internet forum, not the Hague. Telling other people to wait for more information is denying them the opportunity to have an opinion which they have as much a right to as anyone else. Especially if we're talking about threads surrounding issues that effect real people here like racism or transphobia, there is no need to be telling those people who are effected to basically calm down.

If you want to wait for more information, wait. Nobody can stop you from doing that. In fact, it's entirely passive, you don't even need to do anything.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how some people are still going "oh this just means they're both abusers" when all the photos, audio, and Amber's history points to her being the primary abuser, even if some of her allegations turn out to be true there are instances where the Victim fights back and all are pointing to Depp being the victim, it's really situations like these that show why many male victims are afraid to come forward, because it's never just them as the victim it always turns to "what did he do" or " they're both obviously abusers"
yeah. it is sad how people can and will still paint depp as part of the problem.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Leaked page from Tara Roberts' testimony :

fd532d33494ce5d2d5b84155d048b167.png
Hah, whose career is over now? Hopefully she gets locked up and loses all her money. What a psycho.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He really won't though, unfortunately. These days once you've been labeled it just kind of.. sticks. :/

Meh, sometimes. I think people are really about this sort of "juicy drama" and will be eager to correct others that "ACTUALLY, tapes came out showing Amber was the abusive one". It may take time, but I think Depp will be fine again at least public-wise.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
This is an internet forum, not the Hague. Telling other people to wait for more information is denying them the opportunity to have an opinion which they have as much a right to as anyone else. Especially if we're talking about threads surrounding issues that effect real people here like racism or transphobia, there is no need to be telling those people who are effected to basically calm down.

If you want to wait for more information, wait. Nobody can stop you from doing that. In fact, it's entirely passive, you don't even need to do anything.
Except the facts and accusations were always murky in this case from the get go, still was ok to pile on Depp.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I might win a warning here.

But this will go directly to those who were wrong about Deep being the abuser. How do you feel now? See? At least apologize.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Except the facts and accusations were always murky in this case from the get go, still was ok to pile on Depp.

Agreed.

What I'm reading here is that some people have learned nothing from this experience. Apparently the forum choices are join the dogpile, keep your mouth shut, or get banned.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you read the newspaper and there is an article that says something, you, or most people likely take in on faith that the reporting is accurate and paints a complete picture of events as told in the article. But, sometimes people get things wrong. So since you believed it and formulated an opinion, are you suddenly a bad person? I don't think so. And that's only one example of how people form opinions on a not 100% understanding of information.

Yeah, sometimes people get things wrong. Happens. Problem is, if you had argued in the first thread years ago that it would be better to wait for facts before judging involved people, or that something seems wrong about the case (given AH past and statements by Paradis and others), you'd have been banned.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Of course, because at the time a reasonable understanding of the situation was he was an abuser. If you believed otherwise, fine, but with the information available at the time it was a reasonable conclusion. Nobody had access to this audio.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Why can't people who want to wait for more information not share their opinions? I don't think it's fair or healthy to jump the gun and shame people the second an accusation or story comes out. Everyone should be able to share their opinion.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm really surprised this wasn't leaked earlier. Depp's career and image got SERIOUSLY tarnished by this, to the point people boycotted Fantastic Beasts 2 over it.

Considering there was clearly evidence in his favor, and his career was on the line, why wasn't this brought out before? Unless it was and no one listened.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So wait for the facts, but don't say you are waiting for the facts or you will be banned. Makes a lot of sense.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

"yeah Depp did it, always knew he was a piece of garbage" = opinion
"depp hasnt even said anything yet and previous partners have staunchly defended him, lets wait for more information" = you are DENYING my opinion!!! (baseless speculation)

Yes, you do have a right to post stupid shit. I also have the right to ask that people refrain from making snap judgments without hearing both sides of the story.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why can't people who want to wait for more information not share their opinions? I don't think it's fair or healthy to jump the gun and shame people the second an accusation or story comes out. Everyone should be able to share their opinion.
Waiting for more information isn't really an opinion, it's the lack of one, it's passively waiting until a future date that may potentially never come to form an opinion

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
If it comes out that her allegations are Shown to be false alongside this chilling audio, it's on a similar level of fuckery as Jussie Smollett PLUS there's potentially a victim. I wish these people would think before they do something so cruel and that would have societal reverberations For those in vulnerable situations.

Sheesh. How do you bring yourself to do something like this?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
yall are getting this thread locked with infighting yet again, jesus christ

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I might win a warning here.

But this will go directly to those who were wrong about Deep being the abuser. How do you feel now? See? At least apologize.
You won't get many. The reality is her position cannot be fully discounted (as noted by the staff post), so you cannot say 100% he never abused her.

Oct 27, 2017
All this tap dancing and singing about how Era did this and Era is responsible for that and how Era loves cancel culture is just exposing people looking for attention, because this shit happened before Era even existed, and the damage was already done by then. Pretty gross to do all this showboating in a thread about abuse, especially considering that Heard is a master manipulator that seems to have orchestrated a lot of the backlash while simultaneously propping herself up as the face of domestic abuse survivors.

She needs to be in jail.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for more information isn't really an opinion, it's the lack of one, it's passively waiting until a future date that may potentially never come to form an opinion
People frame their post in an expression of an opinion, as one of the posters above shown when comparing your 'correct' opinion vs people explaining why they would wait for more information.

On another note, I'm of the opinion that being seen as guilty before you have any chance to prove your innocence is dangerous. It's also something a lot of people in America can probably relate to as we have a violent history here with condemning minorities based on an accusation. However it seems people cannot talk about why it's important to get a better understanding of a situation before publicly shaming people.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Leaked page from Tara Roberts' testimony :

fd532d33494ce5d2d5b84155d048b167.png

All this is leaking because Depp and his team are forbidden by law to publicly share any of this. I guess they probably figured they'd maybe lose the defamation lawsuit because of technicalities (she never named him directly) so they wanted his name cleared publicly, which is what mattered the most.
This is such a classic and clear-cut domestic abuser it hurts my heart.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It seems like you believe that the only responses are "i believe them" or "i dont believe them". You don't see how ridiculous that is?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed.

What I'm reading here is that some people have learned nothing from this experience. Apparently the forum choices are join the dogpile, keep your mouth shut, or get banned.

Same thing happened with Jussie Smollet. Anyone who questions the facts around a particular incident is usually met with a victim-blaming Ban. Even if there are obvious loopholes in the story.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Should they if there's no proof?
Yes? What about the ton of rape victims who weren't able to go get a rape kit, and even then they may not have witnesses or anything to verify their story. You're saying if because someone can't definitively prove something that it didn't happen?
It seems like you believe that the only responses are "i believe them" or "i dont believe them". You don't see how ridiculous that is?
No, there are plenty of discussions to be had around any given topic and many words at our disposal to have them with.
"Let's wait for more information" is basically "I don't believe them right now"
Also this

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Amber's behavior in the recording is really really scary and even still it feels like she's holding back.

Dealing with a person like that every day had to be a nightmare.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): Derailing with hostility and community attacks over multiple posts in the thread.
All this tap dancing and singing about how Era did this and Era is responsible for that and how Era loves cancel culture is just exposing people looking for attention, because this shit happened before Era even existed, and the damage was already done by then. Pretty gross to do all this showboating in a thread about abuse, especially considering that Heard is a master manipulator that seems to have orchestrated a lot of the backlash while simultaneously propping herself up as the face of domestic abuse survivors.

She needs to be in jail.

Blah, blah, blah.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It's not hard to not post.

This is so wrong though. So super super super wrong.

Telling people sometimes to get to their senses, especially if not all informations are out, is a virtue today.

Instead, it should be banable to completely go ham on a single string of information. Posters here always go dogshit insane sometimes, and fast too! "He abused her" is in the title and I bet with you, the next page is filled with "this scumbag", "POS", "FILTHY SHITBAG", whatever. Those people face no consequences, never, and also didn't have any positive input.

They didn't contribute to anything. Nothing. It helped no one. Even if afterwards the information would break that they were in the wrong, nothing happens. We just accept it and go on and that's so wrong holy smokes.

We still overlooked comments in this and the other thread with "ahh both are bad", as if people couldn't accept the fact that stuff can happen the opposite way. That's not what I understand with equality. That's not what I understand as contributing in a well manner.

But I tell you what. In my defense I will always bring up this situation now if something new happens. People need to learn to sleep over something and wait for both or more sides until they judge.

Oct 28, 2017
I've always loved Depp. Hope Disney lets him return to the pirates franchise after all is said and done. Can't really imagine anyone else as jack.

I have great symptom him as my ex wife was also very abusive to me. Throw a remote control at my forehead causing me to bleed, throwing the cordless phone at me, yelling and screaming every day, accusing me of fucking my mother if I said I wanted to go visit her, etc.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Let's wait for more information" is basically "I don't believe them right now"

No, it's not even remotely that.

Yes? What about the ton of rape victims who weren't able to go get a rape kit, and even then they may not have witnesses or anything to verify their story. You're saying if because someone can't definitively prove something that it didn't happen?

No, there are plenty of discussions to be had around any given topic and many words at our disposal to have them with.

You said that waiting for more information isn't an opinion. What other opinions can you have besides those two binary choices.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've always loved Depp. Hope Disney lets him return to the pirates franchise after all is said and done. Can't really imagine anyone else as jack.

I have great symptom him as my ex wife was also very abusive to me. Throw a remote control at my forehead causing me to bleed, throwing the cordless phone at me, yelling and screaming every day, accusing me of fucking my mother if I said I wanted to go visit her, etc.
shit man, I'm sorry but I'm glad you made it out with your sanity and self-esteem in tact.

Seems like there are more domestic abuse survivors here than it appears.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of false allegations or people who it turns out are lying is far smaller than the number of people who either never come forward or come forward and have zero available proof other than their word. To not believe an accuser is dangerous.

You can also believe the accuser while also not trashing the person being accused on the way out.

Anything further and I feel like I'm slipping into meta commentary and I'm unwilling to go there.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You said that waiting for more information isn't an opinion. What other opinions can you have besides those two binary choices.
Discussion ebbs and flows and can go in any direction. If the thread is about a comedian being accused of rape (for example), you can talk about other similar cases, how bad rape is, how you didn't expect that comedian to be involved (or how you did), advocate for rape victims, share news about it happening, there are any number of things to talk about that does not downplay or dismiss the issue at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.