• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Note: I know we already have a locked thread but it was hastily done and doesn't really do a good job of summing up the situation for those out of the loop. I'll try my best here but if this thread gets locked, at least look here for a summation of the situation.

Amber Heard filed for divorce in May 2016, later that month accusing Johnny Depp of inflicting physical and psychological abuse on her. This would go on for a while with Heard revealing photos showing her bruises at the hands of Johnny Depp when seeking a restraining order against him.

nintchdbpict000240791800.jpg

They eventually reached a $7 million divorce settlement in August of 2016.

In December of 2018, Amber Heard published an Op-Ed in The Washington Post about being a victim of domestic abuse. Months later, Depp would then file a $50 million defamation lawsuit over this Op-Ed, accusing her of domestic abuse against him instead and denying all allegations from her.

"I have denied Ms Heard's allegations vehemently since she first made them in May 2016 when she walked into court to obtain a temporary restraining order with painted-on bruises that witnesses and surveillance footage show she did not possess each day of the preceding week.
"I will continue to deny them for the rest of my life."
Depp added: "I never abused Ms Heard or any other woman.
"She was the perpetrator, and I was the victim. While mixing prescription amphetamines and non-prescription drugs with alcohol, Ms Heard committed innumerable acts of domestic violence against me, often in the presence of a third-party witness, which in some instances caused me serious bodily harm."

Depp would go on to deny the images above, stating that she painted those on.

The suit, which is for $50 million, says Heard "is not a victim of domestic abuse, she is a perpetrator." The suit also denies that Depp ever abused Heard, and claims that her allegations were part of an "elaborate hoax to generate positive publicity" for the "Aquaman" star.

Following this defamation suit, Depp accused Heard of throwing a bottle of vodka at him which severed his finger tip which forced him to have to undergo multiple surgeries. This also caused him to contract MRSA three times, almost costing him his life. The image spoiler tagged below is extremely NSFW.

[GORE WARNING, SEVERED FINGER TIP, NOT SAFE FOR WORK]

EPtaXl6X0AAMPtc.jpg

8b7gBk2.png
He further accused her of more things such as her putting out a cigarette on his face early in their marriage and some other stuff.

So a leaked audio obtained by the Daily Mail from an anonymous source has been making the rounds since they publicised it yesterday. This leaked audio is from 2015 and from an informal two-hour, consensual therapy session the two held with it being recorded on Heard's cell phone. A transcript for the full audio recording (which is an hour long) can be found here.

The audio recording itself can be found in this video:

In it, the two try to talk through their relationship problems. This twitter thread with a clip from the video where Heard admits to hitting Depp went viral and now #JusticeForJohnnyDepp is trending 4 worldwide

8i7Pqqv.png

While I'm sure many of you can't watch a whole hour video dedicated to this, Heard does admit a few things here, including throwing stuff like vases, pots and pans. And that she can't promise Depp when she won't get physical again, that she gets so mad she loses it.

vlcTqJc.png

0tYu8sc.png

NJM69ad.png

QXgsV5i.png

Honestly as someone who's experienced domestic abuse, the way she gaslights him throughout this audio is just haunting. This tweet puts it succinctly.

But it's not even that, he seems so calm throughout this audio recording while she's constantly raising her voice and trying to one up him. Not to mention the bit where she tries to lessen her punching him by repeately claiming she was just hitting him. That kind of thing is so familiar in my experience and abusers love doing that shit.

Last edited:

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inappropriate language.
What a crazy cow.

YagizY

Dec 19, 2017
While I understand punishing individual users for being shitty, I'm not sure what closing threads accomplishes. Seems like the anti-thesis of what this place is for.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand punishing individual users for being shitty, I'm not sure what closing threads accomplishes. Seems like the anti-thesis of what this place is for.
id imagine a lot of reports were coming through the locked threads, specially in the last one, and for the mods sanity, they locked it to go through them.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
You're jumping the gun. There's a mod post in the last thread, and as stated it's obvious it was closed to assess reports because it was getting heated.

Staff Post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is obviously a thorny issue. Heard is clearly abusing Depp, and her allegations are as yet unproven. However, while it would seem there is not sufficient evidence to completely discount her assertion that Depp abused her, it's become clear that her abuse of him was primary in the relationship. Going forward, do not equivocate between the two. Any downplaying of Heard's abusive behavior will be moderated harshly.

As this thread is better constructed, we're going to leave the old one locked and move discussion here.

Oct 27, 2017
Depp is a weirdo, but I never really had him down as a wifebeater sort of type. Of course it's hard to say what happened and who did what, but this really doesn't put Heard in a good light.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is obviously a thorny issue. Heard is clearly abusing Depp, and her allegations are as yet unproven. However, while it would seem there is not sufficient evidence to completely discount her assertion that Depp abused her, it's become clear that her abuse of him was primary in the relationship. Going forward, do not equivocate between the two. Any downplaying of Heard's abusive behavior will be moderated harshly.

As this thread is better constructed, we're going to leave the old one locked and move discussion here.
Thank you so much.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jeeesus..that just feels fucking horrible in general. Glad he was able to get away from that kind of situation

How to relationships because so toxic like that, is it always the power dynamic at play?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a piece of shit. Was pretty sad hearing most of era ready to cut his head off before we knew much. I guess this is what cancel culture is.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I feel so bad for him man. He really caught it hard back when the allegations first came out too. The fact that he has had issues with drinking (I believe) seemed to give a bit of a free pass to just shit all over him and assume the worst. Can't even imagine watching the world spin away from you over some shit like this. I hope justice prevails here.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sweet, also I hope you know I didn't mean hard feelings
Yeah no worries lol

This is now trending worldwide so this is too big to ignore. No way this doesn't get adressed publically. The defamation lawsuit is still ongoing so I'm curious as to how this'll affect that as there's apparantly more tapes regarding this according to the Daily Mail (who broke the initial story).

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
After reading the previous one through I knew the mods here wouldn't reopen it lol. It's how era works

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if there was no audio, everyone would believe Depp was still the main agitator and she was the sole victim.

That's scary.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no worries lol

This is now trending worldwide so this is too big to ignore. No way this doesn't get adressed publically. The defamation lawsuit is still ongoing so I'm curious as to how this'll affect that as there's apparantly more tapes regarding this according to the Daily Mail (who broke the initial story).
He should be able to prove his case with these audio tapes if the court allows the evidence in but now that they've been leaked it becomes more dubious.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't she the main actress for Aquaman? I hope the industry wouldn't give her another work after these.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The hate towards Depp when the news came out was horrible. Goes to show that while stepping up for the victims is important, we should wait for all the facts before jumping to conclusions and condemn someone in the public square.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't she the main actress for Aquaman? I hope the industry wouldn't give her another work after these.

She's also signed on for the CBS All Access of King's 'The Stand'. I'm not sure if it's already gone into production yet since that could affect how they handle her role. But I can't imagine that WB will keep her on for Aquaman 2. That's not coming out until late 2022, so they still have plenty of time to change actresses.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Jokes aside it always important to hear the full story and gather all the possible informations.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't know what happened between them and I don't think any of us ever will for sure, but she sure does sound like a bully in those recordings. She is just constantly attacking and belittling him.

This is some tragic shit because you just never know who to trust in cases like this. People are shitty and will lie about horrible things to make themselves look better to others, and it's so damaging to people who are actually victims of abuse when someone weaponizes those accusations against their partners.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heard was arrested for abuse of a girlfriend back in 2009 while Depp has never had a single accusation levied against him by former partners (pretty much all of them came to his defense) outside of Heard's charges, which at this point seem highly suspect.

Depp clearly has issues but those problems seem to be largely internal and self-destructive and these accusations fucked up his career something fierce, at least in the short term.

As I understand it, he submitted a ton of evidence in his slander/defamation case so hopefully this all gets sorted out soon.

If Heard did make all of this up then I hope Hollywood burns her career down and she's essentially blacklisted by the studios.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So if there was no audio, everyone would believe Depp was still the main agitator and she was the sole victim.

That's scary.

This is the main issue with such cases that make wide spread news especially on social media. People are too quick to jump on something without waiting for more information. Its extremely scary.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Now that we know the truth, how fucking greedy was she to come back and do that Washington Post op-ed two years after the divorce?

Like, you got seven million and lied about Johnny and STILL decided to smear his name some more? Unbelievable!

Oct 27, 2017
The hate towards Depp when the news came out was horrible. Goes to show that while stepping up for the victims is important, we should wait for all the facts before jumping to conclusions and condemn someone in the public square.
Lol as if the internet or this forum in particular would ever do that.

The pitchforks were out for Depp in those threads and while I'm not willing to go back and comb through them, I can almost guarantee the trigger happy mods banned a bunch of posters for defending him. As usual.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that we know the truth, how fucking greedy was she to come back and do that Washington Post op-ed two years after the divorce?

Like, you got seven million and lied about Johnny and STILL decided to smear his name some more? Unbelievable!
Abusers and bullies don't stop just because they won.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not comfortable going as far to say Heard faked her bruises like some people online have, but from the audio she is doing clear manipulative tactics and it's really gross hearing it, especially if you've ever dealt with it IRL. It's unfortunate things have played out this way for Depp if he was just defending himself and Heard deserves to be dragged for being a physical abuser just like the rest of them.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Mocking and taunting someone for taking a flight response to the violence you perpetuate, and threatening with further violence, is absolute textbook predatory abuser behaviour. It's the kind of shit that really fucks with someone's head. The abuser is in a position of power already given they're an instigator of violence, and they're controlling the situation by deferring responsibility for their behaviour onto the victim (if they don't stop running the violence will continue even longer), while also controlling the victim's behaviour by both parties knowing if the victim stops running/hiding they'll still be subject to violence. The abuser wins either way; the victim is blamed for the violence, they continue to threaten with violence, and when the victim reveals themselves at the behest of the abuser they can continue the violence.

It's the exact type of behaviour classically used by male abusers exhibiting violent, possessive behaviour of their partners.

Abusers with violently possessive traits will do anything they can to make the lives of their victims unbearable. The violence and abuse doesn't end when the relationship does. They'll often go out of their way to deconstruct the victim's life in the eyes of their family, friends, colleagues, etc. It's all part of the psychology of viewing them as a possession; the victim belongs to the abuser and they can shape their reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.