• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The Reveiws for Justice League Dark: Apokolips War are out and it's looking to be one of the best DCAU movies to date:

IGN:
Score: 8/10
While the DC Animated Movie Universe was never as strong as some of DC's other shared TV universes, at least it's given a proper conclusion in Apokolips War. This film takes full advantage of the fact that it's the final chapter in a 15-movie arc. Its narrative veers into some very surprising and compelling directions, and somehow it manages to pay off on loose ends from across the DCU while still chronicling the final battle between the Justice League and Darkseid. The abrupt ending is a bit disappointing, but not enough to diminish the impact of what is easily the best DC Universe Movie since The Flashpoint Paradox.

Supermansite:

"Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" Review

The film is the latest next entry in the popular series of DC Universe Movies and completes an animated storyline which began in 2014 with the release of 'Justice League War'.
All-in-all, I can confidently state that "Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" is easily one of, if not the best animated movie in the DC Universe series thus far. The movie has all the character development and action that you can ask for and then some. The script, directing, animation, & voice acting definitely make this one title you will want to have in your DVD/Bluray collection.

Comic Book Resources:
www.cbr.com

REVIEW: Justice League Dark: Apokolips War Is a Grim Twilight of DC's Animated Gods

The final film in the DC Animated Movie Universe closes things out with a dark, bloody last stand for the iconic superheroes.
The DC Animated Movie Universe certainly goes out with more of a bang than a whimper in Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, but it's never easy watching fan-favorite characters go down, particularly so brutally. Some of the violence borders on unsavory, and is a bit more than audiences may be accustomed to in a DC animated film. While many of the major players get their opportunity to shine one last time, others are lost in the shuffle. For fans for the long-running franchise, this is a must-watch to close out the overarching story; for those looking for a lighter, more fun diversion, this may not be it.

WehaveaHulk
Score: 4/5
wehaveahulk.co.uk

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War Review - We Have A Hulk

The latest animated instalment from Warner Bros. Justice League Dark: Apokolips War marks the epic conclusion of DC’s popular shared animated movie universe, as the 15th and final film in the continuity. Originally introduced in Jay Oliva’s brilliant Justice League: The Flashpoint…
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is impressive in both size and scope; rounding off the DC Animated Movie shared universe with a bittersweet conclusion. Packed full of team ups, nods to DC lore and genuinely epic moments, longtime fans of the universe will undoubtedly revel in this film. Bring on HBO Max's live-action adaptation of Justice League Dark!

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just the final movie in a specific continuity, right? They'll still be making some more of the animated movies?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to watch the other ones or something? I saw the JL ones, the JLD one and Red Hood cos the rest looked like crap.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Best since Flashpoint Paradox? that's a pretty high bar. I've skipped quite a few movies but I'll definitely check this one out.

This is just the final movie in a specific continuity, right? They'll still be making some more of the animated movies?
Yeah, most movies since Justice League War has been in the same continuity. Save for a few like Superman Red Son.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only film I like in this continuity was Death of Superman (which was actually really good).

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To me, perhaps one of the best, if not the best, films since they started the whole DTV animated line. I am shocked at how well they were able to tie together elements from so many of these movies and make it work. Even get some big emotional payoffs.

That said, as reviews noted, this is a pretty dark and down movie. And more of a Constantine film than anything.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
To me, perhaps one of the best, if not the best, films since they started the whole DTV animated line. I am shocked at how well they were able to tie together elements from so many of these movies and make it work. Even get some big emotional payoffs.

That said, as reviews noted, this is a pretty dark and down movie. And more of a Constantine film than anything.
Which movies would you say are absolutely required before watching this?

I'm assuming Justice League Dark is one, any others?

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Absolute to get the plot and stuff
Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League War to an extent
Justice League vs Teen Titans
Justice League Dark
Reign of the Supermen

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018

Honestly, I've enjoyed it more than Endgame. Not hyperpole.

It's very well-made. It's well-paced. It's dark and grim which is one of its strongest points, like characters dying unceremonially, which makes you believe that there are stakes to what's happening.

I really am fascinated by how well they were able to tie everything together in 90 minutes.

Also, it feels like a very fitting ending to the whole New 52 Animated Universe. A lot of resonant themes with the first movie (Flashpoint Paradox), which I thought was excellent.

Most of the voice cast does a great job too.

one minor complaint, I was hoping to see
more of Raven and Trigon relationship. For some reason I was hoping for one gentle moment more than the one we got at the end.

Seriously though, there are a lot of things to love in that movie.

Something I also particularly appreciated is
seeing a mature and responsible Damien Wayne. His character arc, of sorts, throughout the movies have been great.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Seen it, pretty good stuff. If I had to describe it I'd say it's like a mixture of Infinity War + Endgame but set in the New 52. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say it was pretty obvious what was gonna happen but didn't make it less enjoyable

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018

I mean there are a lot of references and nods to past events, but even if you didn't feel like going back all the way back and went into it blind, you can appreciate it a lot.

Absolute to get the plot and stuff
Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League War to an extent
Justice League vs Teen Titans
Justice League Dark
Reign of the Supermen

This is a pretty good answer. Just take note that Reign of the Superman is a two-part movie. Death of the Superman and Reign of the Superman.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Honestly, I've enjoyed it more than Endgame. Not hyperpole.

It's very well-made. It's well-paced. It's dark and grim which is one of its strongest points, like characters dying unceremonially, which makes you believe that there are stakes to what's happening.

I really am fascinated by how well they were able to tie everything together in 90 minutes.

Also, it feels like a very fitting ending to the whole New 52 Animated Universe. A lot of resonant themes with the first movie (Flashpoint Paradox), which I thought was excellent.

Most of the voice cast does a great job too.

one minor complaint, I was hoping to see
more of Raven and Trigon relationship. For some reason I was hoping for one gentle moment more than the one we got at the end.

Seriously though, there are a lot of things to love in that movie.

seeing a mature and responsible Damien Wayne. His character arc, of sorts, throughout the movies have been great.

On your last spoiler, and somewhat related to a character's arc

Even though this is the New 52 verse, I really do feel with time and hindsight it's the Damian Wayne saga. More than any other character including his father ties this whole universe together.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Seen it, pretty good stuff. If I had to describe it I'd say it's like a mixture of Infinity War + Endgame but set in the New 52. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say it was pretty obvious what was gonna happen but didn't make it less enjoyable

Yup. But again, it's impressive that they were able to tell a very solid story on the level of Infinity War and Endga,e with good pacing in only 90 minutes.

The way they narrated what happened at the first attack on multiple fronts was great.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are a lot of references and nods to past events, but even if you didn't feel like going back all the way back and went into it blind, you can appreciate it a lot.

This is a pretty good answer. Just take note that Reign of the Superman is a two-part movie. Death of the Superman and Reign of the Superman.
I've watched a few of them already but my memory is a bit hazy, I'm watching them as a refresher so references and easter eggs don't go over my head.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Does that mean there isn't a part 2 coming on Batman Hush? I don't know why I remember it ending abruptly and differently than the graphic novel, and hoping that there was a sequel on the way.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
On your last spoiler, and somewhat related to a character's arc

Even though this is the New 52 verse, I really do feel with time and hindsight it's the Damian Wayne saga. More than any other character including his father ties this whole universe together.

I agree with you there. I think he is, if I am remembering correctly, the most dynamic character of all of them. He had a particular development in every movie he has been in since his debut.

On the other hand, and this is a very common complaint you will hear about this particular universe, is the way they handled Dick Grayson. He has been sadly both massively underutilized and nerfed.
I am kinda grateful they let him sit this one out

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Does that mean there isn't a part 2 coming on Batman Hush? I don't know why I remember it ending abruptly and differently than the graphic novel, and hoping that there was a sequel on the way.

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think so.

I think they just wanted to kinda subvert the ending of the novel, knowing that anyone who would be interested in that movie had already read the graphic novel, or at least is familiar with Hush.

The ending of this movie anyway is...

a definite reboot. Flash runs off again to restart the timeline.

So probably not unless they wanted to like retcon the ending of Batman: Hush.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the continuity is Rebirth next.
Still funny they teased Barbara Gordon Batgirl and she never showed up again.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I've watched a few of them already but my memory is a bit hazy, I'm watching them as a refresher so references and easter eggs don't go over my head.

Yeah. There are some references here and there, but I would recommend watching the ones that focus on characters you like just to see how they are established.

The list that Penguin provided is a good way to go around it. I would recommend Flashpoint Paradox in particular. It lays the foundations of this universe and it's excellent in its own right.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018

Not really sure about that , not in this film anyway.
The world goes to shit so he takes over the league of assassins? Why would there even still need to be a league at that point. Plus he throws Grayson in the Lazarus pit which does not end well at all for Dick just because he "had to take a chance". Plus he wants to kill Superman and Lex and definitely would have done it if not stopped. Not very mature and responsible of him.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to catch up, I was actually watching Hell to Pay. That was confusing, let me tell you.

These are vastly under-rated.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Not really sure about that , not in this film anyway.
The world goes to shit so he takes over the league of assassins? Why would there even still need to be a league at that point. Plus he throws Grayson in the Lazarus pit which does not end well at all for Dick just because he "had to take a chance". Plus he wants to kill Superman and Lex and definitely would have done it if not stopped. Not very mature and responsible of him.

You are pointing out legitimate flaws. However, compared to how annoying and unbearable he was in his debut movie, and how he steadily softened and changed with each movie, I think they handled it well for the most part.

This is maybe a lame comparison, but Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner had a similar treatment in the MCU (in that he was supposed to develop from one movie to another without having his own movie) and it felt rushed and clumsy, and most of his character's jumps were unfounded.

I didn't feel the same way about Damien who had believable changes throughout. At least in my opinion, he grows on you with each movie, and they kinda bring out a new side to him every time (his sympathy for animals in the Judas Contract is a good example).

They could have fleshed him out more stuff, especially when it comes to his relationship with Dick, but they did a good job overall.

When he
dies in his father's hands and his dying words to Bruce "Justice, not Vengeance". It made you feel he really came a long way. It was one of the movie's highlight by the way, and part of me wished he never came back. since a large part of this movie's appeal is how dark and grim it allowed itself to be.

But yeah, he wasn't perfect and it was implied he made some dumb choices during the time jump.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Shit this was a good movie. Never would have imagined flashpoint would lead us to this point. Does this mean the new series will be based on rebirth?

But man..the shit some of these characters went through... Would not wish that on any one. This movie was freakin brutal.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Ok, I was blown away by it. It's definitely DCAU: Endgame. So brutal! They don't hold back at all.

Seeing heroes get ripped in half - literally - actually left me speechless. Shazam went out like a champ though.

These movies have been very hit and miss, but it tells an excellent story.
I never expected certain things to happen in this movie, and they did.

I wish they didn't trigger another Flashpoint though.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They treat a lot of the heroes like they're random peasants from the Castlevania animated series

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I was blown away by it. It's definitely DCAU: Endgame. So brutal! They don't hold back at all.

Seeing heroes get ripped in half - literally - actually left me speechless. Shazam went out like a champ though.

These movies have been very hit and miss, but it tells an excellent story.
I never expected certain things to happen in this movie, and they did.

I wish they didn't trigger another Flashpoint though.

It needed to happen tho....things went too far into the crazy

Literally everyone is mentally traumatized. Let alone those that got an extra dose of physical trauma. Like, they are all fucked up. For example, I don't even know how someone like Hawkman even deals after what was done.

May 10, 2018
Didn't remind me of Infinity War or Endgame at all. Honestly it gave me a History of Trunks vibe, mainly because I knew how it would end.

Pretty violent but Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay was also and FlashPoint Paradox to a lesser extent.

This continuity definitely went out with a bang and it's one of the better films in this series.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This version of the DCAU had some ups and downs, but they definitely went out the way they were supposed to.

I just hate that they continuously used the PG-13 flashes to disguise the punches when characters were delimbed and decapitated all over the place.

Hopefully they don't botch the next round of movies like the beginning of this round did.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This version of the DCAU had some ups and downs, but they definitely went out the way they were supposed to.

I just hate that they continuously used the PG-13 flashes to disguise the punches when characters were delimbed and decapitated all over the place.

Hopefully they don't botch the next round of movies like the beginning of this round did.

Those flashes are usually part of the superhero animation style, I think it's a stylistic choice.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
One minor thing...
It was kinda bittersweet that Damian grew to accept Dick as his older brother, only for what happened to Dick to occur.
Anyway, the DCAMU had its ups & downs, but it definitely went out with a bang.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
Damn, one of the best CBM I've seen!

The feeling of dread and hopelessness while watching this is something you rarely feel in CBM's. Seriously, how often you feel the weight of despair of what is supposed to be the end of the world that comes from a global threat in comic book movies? Well this one shows in all its gory detail!!!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds, and even better, looks great. Good to see WB gave this one a budget. I hope this means the New Grounds art style is dead.

Can't wait to check it out.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Those flashes are usually part of the superhero animation style, I think it's a stylistic choice.
The flashes may be a style choice, but they're not a superhero thing, more of a "we're skirting the lines for the ratings board" thing any other time they're used.

They didn't annoy me, I just thought it was weird.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds, and even better, looks great. Good to see WB gave this one a budget. I hope this means the New Grounds art style is dead.

Can't wait to check it out.
The art style for the movies was never really the problem; it was the fact that up until midway through the franchise, they never really provided a budget to match what they were trying to do, resulting in a lot of cut corners.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I might check this out. Don't know too much about them but could be fun.

This film takes full advantage of the fact that it's the final chapter in a 15-movie arc

wsWkUSE.gif

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I might check this out. Don't know too much about them but could be fun.

wsWkUSE.gif
You really only need to watch four movies.

Unlike the MCU, each movie doesn't necessary flesh out or tie into the next; they introduce characters and relationships. All you need to do is watch Justice League War, Death of Superman, Reign of Superman, and then this movie.

edit: I guess you could include the Flashpoint Paradox in this as well. Teen Titans vs Justice League too, but not even I watched that and still understood what was going on. And if you're familiar with the comics or the Flashpoint event, you can skip the movie.

Last edited:

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Most of this series has been okay, i thought this was one of the worse ones. Borderline fanfician, they threw out a jumbled hour and a half of deaths, mutilations, and romances that they knew didn't really mean anything because they were snuffing out the timeline.