• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I would not be surprised if he dies the GOP would fund to keep him on life support until after the midterms to see if they gain a majority again to block all nominations until after 2024.

Hmm being on life support would mean a 4-3-1 (Roberts) makeup which is still better than 5-3-1.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this isn't even the first time TMZ went to talk to one of them. Or maybe it could have been some other celebrity news show.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
How many of your rights are currently on the chopping block?

Don't pull that crap on me, black and gay here, and I still stand by what I say, even he's part of the group that couldn't be happier to see me wiped from existance. I just personally find death-wishing distasteful even against people as awful as them, though I wholly understand I can't police how anyone else feels about it, nor do I see myself 'morally superior' to people who do it (Especially so for people whose rights are at even more risk than mine, like trans individuals, as I truly understand why they would feel that way)

I'd simply like to think we wouldn't dabble in same behavior that we all KNOW Republicans would gleefully engage in if the situation was reversed, that is all.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Evil people being happy when good people die isn't the same as good people being glad when an evil person dies.

It's that simple. They aren't the same thing. It's literelly telling victims that being glad their abuser is dead makes them like their abuser. Noooope. It doesn't.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Evil people being happy when good people die isn't the same as good people being glad when an evil person dies.

It's that simple. They aren't the same thing. It's literelly telling victims that being glad their abuser is dead makes them like their abuser. Noooope. It doesn't.

This tweet will never not be relevant.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Don't pull that crap on me, black and gay here, and I still stand by what I say, even he's part of the group that couldn't be happier to see me wiped from existance. I just personally find death-wishing distasteful even against people as awful as them, though I wholly understand I can't police how anyone else feels about it, nor do I see myself 'morally superior' to people who do it (Especially so for people whose rights are at even more risk than mine, like trans individuals, as I truly understand why they would feel that way)

I'd simply like to think we wouldn't dabble in same behavior that we all KNOW Republicans would gleefully engage in if the situation was reversed, that is all.

I just had to have major surgery so that I could get some sense of relief while large swaths of this country try desperately to take away my bodily autonomy. Forgive me if I don't give a single fucking shit about your sense of moral superiority. You can enjoy that all by yourself.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This "they go low, you go high" bullshit is part of the reason why we're in this current mess, but go on.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017

Fictional story and all, but sometimes I wonder if some people were shaking their head in indignation at the Special Edition shots of the various celebrations at the news of Palpatine's death.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
This man does not deserve an ounce of compassion. He has never shown any to the people he has tread on.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hope he dies and I hope it's painful and I have way less to lose than you do from a rights stand point 🤷‍♂️

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Compassion is something meant for people, not the agents of destruction that have a hand in making the world worse. Not only should we bite the hand that feeds, we should sever it and feed each other.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I would really love to know where this slavish and fatalistic devotion to "decorum" and "respectability politics" comes from. I can understand it in some sense, say, 15-20 years ago. Basically the years prior to the Tea Party rise within the GOP. But now? When you got people openly saying interracial marriage needs to "head back to the states?" When you got people burning and banning books? When you got people trying to rig elections to keep themselves in power in perpetuity? It's not smart or wise or high-minded. It's foolish. It's actively ignoring your violent opponent saying they will kill you as you stand there doing nothing as they load the bullets in their gun.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Fictional story and all, but sometimes I wonder if some people were shaking their head in indignation at the Special Edition shots of the various celebrations at the news of Palpatine's death.
Deebus Scorpa of Coruscant, when interviewed by the Galactic Herald, said, "It troubles me to see so many celebrating the death of Emperor Palpatine. Say what you will about the horrible things he was responsible for, but he still had loved ones..."

I would really love to know where this slavish and fatalistic devotion to "decorum" and "respectability politics" comes from. I can understand it in some sense, say, 15-20 years ago. Basically the years prior to the Tea Party rise within the GOP. But now? When you got people openly saying interracial marriage needs to "head back to the states?" When you got people burning and banning books? When you got people trying to rig elections to keep themselves in power in perpetuity? It's not smart or wise or high-minded. It's foolish. It's actively ignoring your violent opponent saying they will kill you as you stand there doing nothing as they load the bullets in their gun.
Brainwashing. It's the same brainwashing that fooled people to think that ONLY peaceful protest achieved Civil Rights. Hell, there are people here on ERA that believe that crap. Conditioned through years of being taught bullshit, half-truths, and fabrications. As a child in elementary school in the 80s, I remember being taught by white teachers who said, straight-faced, that racism ended in the 60s. Of course, all those classmates that weren't white knew that to be crap, but the little white ones no doubt believed that because that's what was being drilled into our little heads at the time. Y'know, the sanitized, white-washed version of MLK free of the "questionable content" and more "radical" things he said and believed? The scary thing is to know that so many people first learned about the Oklahoma Massacre and Black Wall Street from the Watchmen show and had no idea it actually happened. Hell, to the point they were talking about it on news programs and morning shows like it was a big revelation! It WAS because the forces that control the narrative have actively swept that under the rug and out of sight for a LOT of Americans. THAT is scary!

Last edited:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Thomas's death would be a tangible good for marginalized groups and the working class in this country. If you find wishing he'd die distasteful, blame lifetime appointments.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
And this is how conservatives, racists, xenophobes, bigots have been winning in America since the Civil War. They depend on good citizens like you to take the high road 👍

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

I respect your view on this. I used to feel similar, and for most people, I still do. Death is not the same thing as justice. But the last 5+ years have shown me that I have a limit. Justice takes time and effort, and for so many of our enemies, it seems to be perpetually out of reach. Death is not. Thomas will never resign, nor will he ever face consequences. So I hope he fucking dies. But it is sad that it's come to that for me.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Is there any reason to think he'd about to die anyway? He'd old, but not ancient. My dad's about his age and over the last few years has been to the hospital for various infections. One earlier this year.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
This "they go low, you go high" bullshit is part of the reason why we're in this current mess, but go on.

I've been slowly coming around to this way of thinking.

It's entirely possible that they know their "way or life" or "culture" or whatever is dying, they're still throwing everything they can at the wall to see what sticks, and ultimately whatever does stick is going to cost vulnerable, real, present human lives. They don't want to live and let live. They want to attack the most vulnerable people and literally steal their property. It's happened before. They want it to happen again.

Fuck 'em and do whatever you want to their graves (as long as it isn't "criminal"). These people would do the same to you. If they want to legislate you into a corner where it's legal to kill you, absolutely take a piss in their cheerios.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to think he'd about to die anyway? He'd old, but not ancient. My dad's about his age and over the last few years has been to the hospital for various infections. One earlier this year.
Maybe it is different for you, but all the people I know that are 70+ are not regularly staying at the hospital for treatment unless they have something severe.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Considering all of the horrific laws the GOP are passing or trying to pass, how much they fought/are fighting precautions meant to save lives during a pandemic, the shit they are pulling with the supreme court hearings right now, and how many were involved in trying to overthrow the government (and honestly still trying), etc. It's certainly something to try to tell people to take the high road - especially when you stop and think that Thomas would have no issues voting in favor of the GOP to do these things and I believe his own wife had a role in the Jan. 6 events. Not to mention RBG was barely dead and the Republicans were in a rush to get Barrett appointed so they had another vote for their shitty laws.

Anyway if his seat becomes available and even if Biden is prevented from filling it, that's still one less very reliable Conservative vote on the Supreme Court.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

There's an argument to be made that the same behavior is why they are so successful though.
Not as if in America's history civil rights weren't built on literal dead bodies and radical confrontation

If things keep on the way they are I just see what usually happens in history; people who took the high road and appealed to the basic humanity of their oppressors subjugated or worse.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
If Justice Thomas had his way, tens of thousands of Americans with disabilities and pre-existing conditions would have died after being thrown off Obamacare.

I'm generally not in favor of exulting in the death of one's political enemies, but this is the easiest trolley problem in the history of the world. Let the fucker burn.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's 99% about being against the normalization of the concept leading to more than just speech. If it becomes normal to wish for the death of political opponents than some will take that as an invitation of sorts to engage in political violence. It shifts the window of acceptable action further towards violence which is obviously not desirable for someone who may see themselves as a potential target. It's not about decorum or respectability, it's about self defense.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly coming around to this way of thinking.

It's entirely possible that they know their "way or life" or "culture" or whatever is dying, they're still throwing everything they can at the wall to see what sticks, and ultimately whatever does stick is going to cost vulnerable, real, present human lives. They don't want to live and let live. They want to attack the most vulnerable people and literally steal their property. It's happened before. They want it to happen again.

Fuck 'em and do whatever you want to their graves (as long as it isn't "criminal"). These people would do the same to you. If they want to legislate you into a corner where it's legal to kill you, absolutely take a piss in their cheerios.

Considering all of the horrific laws the GOP are passing or trying to pass, how much they fought/are fighting precautions meant to save lives during a pandemic, the shit they are pulling with the supreme court hearings right now, and how many were involved in trying to overthrow the government (and honestly still trying), etc. It's certainly something to try to tell people to take the high road - especially when you stop and think that Thomas would have no issues voting in favor of the GOP to do these things and I believe his own wife had a role in the Jan. 6 events. Not to mention RBG was barely dead and the Republicans were in a rush to get Barrett appointed so they had another vote for their shitty laws.

Anyway if his seat becomes available and even if Biden is prevented from filling it, that's still one less very reliable Conservative vote on the Supreme Court.
Pretty much this.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, I've never listen to that crap. This is not about going high. Them MF go low, you go lower. Clearance Thomas coon ass can eat mad dick.

I really did used to think that going high was the right thing to do, until I realized that achieving the moral feel good of doing "the right thing" wasn't as effective in, IDK, actually putting the lives and dignity and rights of fellow actual humans that just want to live before our own feel goods at night.

I honestly sleep better now that I don't engage in civil debate with shitheads. Punch Nazis, poke holes in tires, spit in their food.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really just bringing a knife to a gun fight and acting like it is some sort of principled moral stance.
And at the risk of torturing this metaphor, we are in a gun fight, especially about stuff like the supreme court.
The conservative movement is trying to criminalize abortion, they are trying to lock up queer people, they are trying to bring anti miscegenation law back, and I can go on, their list of goals is long and frightening.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's really just bringing a knife to a gun fight and acting like it is some sort of principled moral stance.
And at the risk of torturing this metaphor, we are in a gun fight, especially about stuff like the supreme court.
The conservative movement is trying to criminalize abortion, they are trying to lock up queer people, they are trying to bring anti miscegenation law back, and I can go on, their list of goals is long and frightening.
I've had this thought for a number of years that if conservatives got their way, and they ran the country, what you listed here, among others, this would be a scary reality. This is why they cow-tow to white nationalist and alt right groups.

redmason81

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2022
Still no update on his status, but he has some questions to answer about himself and his wife whenever he gets out of the hospital.

MSN

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sleeping-pretending.gif

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yea, there is ZERO way that he was the lone dissenter for any other reason than his wife's interference. Literally none.

Hoping he never leaves the hospital or he resigns

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, there is ZERO way that he was the lone dissenter for any other reason than his wife's interference. Literally none.

Hoping he never leaves the hospital or he resigns
He should leave the hospital, but inside a coffin. Because he will never resign.