• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wasted potential.

They actually could have made great villains but they never did anything with them in the TLJ, until 5 mins before the end, where they decided to make them generic bad guys just there to be killed off straight away.

It would have been great to see them turn up throughout the trilogy as mini bosses for Rey and the gang to overcome but nope, nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

Be careful, Jedi man.
I'm starting to like the cut of this Ren guy's jib lol

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
latest

"I wanted him to read like a charming Darth Vader. A Vader who is charismatic and who is appealing. That's why [Ren's] skin is burned and he sort of looks the way that he does. He's embracing the seductiveness and the damage that the dark side does. Darth Vader, as impressive and imposing and terrifying as he is, is remote and cold and distant because he has the suit surrounding him. Whereas Ren isn't hiding behind it. He's someone you could have a beer with, in theory."―Charles Soule
implying I would not want to have a beer with vader? wtf?

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
They were a mystery box.
If JJ put any more thought and effort into them, they would stop being a mystery box.
So that's why they have no thought or effort put into them.

D6AMIA6N

Nov 8, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Seriously beyond stupid. What a terrible movie. I don't think I've ever eye rolled harder during a movie more times than when watching TRoS

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I always thought Jenny Nicholson's theory that they were assassination robots created by Ben Solo, and his first droid was BB-8 (she even went so far as to say the BB stood for Ben-Bot).

Sequel lore was good right after TFA, then people realized there are no plans for anything beyond the movie they exist in because Abrams is a hack and Disney is stupid for giving each movie and its story to different directors.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
A marketing tentpole.

Prequels were the fanfiction of a 16 years old who read about nazism, the sequels were marketing foremost.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Duel of the Fates it was revealed that the flashback from TFA (raining scene) is when Kylo and the Knights of Ren killed Rey's parents

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Wait they were in the movie? I thought they were just some obscure part of SW lore that you'd find in the wiki.
That movie was such hot garbage I can't even remember them being there.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
You weren't kidding:

Ren: Well, hello there. Everything here is ours. We're going to take it…but how we take it is up to you. Your call, friends.
Luke: You're wrong. So, so wrong. This is a Jedi outpost. Everything in it belongs to the Jedi Order, which, at the moment, means me. I am the last Jedi .
And Disney murdered the SWEU for having trash in it, smh.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I like how Rian was like "I don't know what this is" and then JJ was like "neither do I actually." And then I was like "it doesn't matter. Please stop."

remember that boy band music video shot of them on top of a mountain in Rise?

449557f83d4f090a034b7bb951a585b9c6a9dcc7.gifv

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Wait... So Kylo Ren wasn't their leader? He was just a member of the Knights of Ren? And the main guy was a just some weirdo with a burnt flesh fetish? and they worship lightsabers?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the new movies, but these guys look like someone wanted their own version of Akatsuki or whatever that Kingdom Hearts equivalent is.

Oct 30, 2017
As I said, the red saber is the embodiment of the darkside itself. His entire motivation, for unknown reasons, is fucking shit up because the darkside wills that he do so. Dude doesn't even want followers lmao. Just people who also have a fondness for fucking shit up.

yeah my point is more that it's very stupid for a character called ren to have a sword that he calls "the ren".

not that i envy the comic writers who had to come up with this stuff with nothing to go on

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
latest

"I wanted him to read like a charming Darth Vader. A Vader who is charismatic and who is appealing. That's why [Ren's] skin is burned and he sort of looks the way that he does. He's embracing the seductiveness and the damage that the dark side does. Darth Vader, as impressive and imposing and terrifying as he is, is remote and cold and distant because he has the suit surrounding him. Whereas Ren isn't hiding behind it. He's someone you could have a beer with, in theory."―Charles Soule
A super low-rent Darth Sion, basically.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
A bunch of worse than clown goons.
They don't even carry lethal weapons. When Kylo tries to save Rey unarmed, all they did were hitting Kylo with something akin to plastic sticks.

Anyone with a wooden, metal bat would have killed Kylo with a bonk. Jar Jar was deadlier.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Kevin J Anderson was always terrible. Legitimately a bad author, be it his star Wars books, his own series or the Dune monstrosities he shits out with Brian Herbert.

Timothy Zahn's original trilogy however, definitely stands the test of time thank gods!
I read the jedi academy trilogy as a kid. Whoa it was 27 years ago! My tastes as a 12 year old probably weren't that refined!

You aren't kidding about the Dune books; I haven't read any but he's got at least 10 of them. I don't know if I wanna read an excerpt from any of his star wars books now though, you got me nervous. I just remember that in one of them han and chewy get set back to Kessel as punishment and they get rescued. I was hyped cause Kessel only is briefly mentioned in the original trilogy

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The Sequel films should have just made the Sith the bad guys, especially since they brought back Sidious for ROS.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin J Anderson was always terrible. Legitimately a bad author, be it his star Wars books, his own series or the Dune monstrosities he shits out with Brian Herbert.

Timothy Zahn's original trilogy however, definitely stands the test of time thank gods!
Yeah, Kevin J. Andersen's writing was always terribly corny and ham-fisted. Timothy Zahn's writing is amazing through and through.

The funny thing is that I didn't notice how bad Andersen's writing was as a kid. The Jedi Academy series was one of my favorite series growing up, and was one of the first "big" books I just ate up. It was one of the series that got me over that "holy shit, that book is thick" thing that stops a lot of people from reading long books.

All the contrived plot points and stilted writing just went completely over my head at the time because i didn't know what good narrative looked like.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I blame Rian Johnson, he could have fit them in the second movie, but he decided to make his own Star Wars story.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
In my headcanon, the knights of ren are the bodyguards that rey and kylo killed in The Last Jedi in the throne room.

Ep 9 was just a bad dream that I want to forget.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
They were set up in TFA to be some Nazgul-like unit but in TROS they just, like you said, show up and die because I guess Abrams didn't care much for them?

They also has a stupid Halo 4 Didact "read the comics to learn about them" type of informational buildup which just shouldn't happen with a mainline Star Wars movie.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Wait... So Kylo Ren wasn't their leader? He was just a member of the Knights of Ren? And the main guy was a just some weirdo with a burnt flesh fetish? and they worship lightsabers?

Kylo became their leader when he killed Ren. They were literally just a bunch of thieves and killers. Dark side users who traveled around the galaxy like pirates doing anything they wanted.

They become Kylo's henchmen pretty much, but they kinda forgot to use them in the movies until the end and it's.... done