• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
shuma-mvc3.jpg

Shuma Gorath is a pretty obscure marvel character but for some reason, he's been featured pretty prominently in the MVC series. I don't know really know that much about him except that he fights Doctor Strange or something. So just what is Shuma Gorath and what has he done exactly in the comics?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Him and his peeps eat universes. Infact his true physical form is the size of a universe

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Royalty-free Lovecraft. Which is weird because Lovecraft is public domain but whatever.

I want to say that he barely shows up in the comics but Marvel let Capcom use whoever in the games and they picked him because he's not a roided up dude in spandex.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
He's the dark lord of the Chaos Dimension. He exists in all alternate universes at the same time and he eat realities as his hobby.

As far as power ratings go, he's pretty darn high up there.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
He's an uber powerful magical entity.

They only put him in MvC because Capcom seems to have a thing for tentacle monsters.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the MCU's version of the Loveraftian pantheon, the Many Angled Ones. They've been there since before time, between dimensions always trying to break in and turn them to their favor. They have Death killed in one universe and turn it into an undying Cancerverse. Galactus gets a big makeover, things go bad, and so on.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
He's a royalty free Yog-Sothoth, which is irconic considering Yog-Sothoth is the royalty free Yog-Sothoth

To be perfectly fair, Shuma-Gorath is a really old character, made in 1972. Not entirely sure how Lovecraft copyright was handled at the time, but it could've potentially been a problem.

Even if not I imagine the idea of making their own Lovecraft-lite entities was to have something distinct that evoked the Cthulhu Mythos without actively sourcing it.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I'm not one to thread-shame, but was this worth asking the Era community instead of checking out a few wikis? Are we just checking to see if Slayven is online?

I'll throw something into the pot though.

Even though Shuma first appeared in Marvel Comics as a Dr. Strange adversary - his name was actually taken from the writings of Robert E. Howard. A name you might recognize as the creator of Conan the Barbarian. This makes Shuma Gorath Lovecraftian by proxy - since Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals and often shared ideas.

Shuma is actually one of the few Marvel creations to appear in canon during Marvel's version of the Hyborion Age. Here's our favorite squid boy looking extra fiesty when he was summoned near Conan's homeland of Cimmeria

157099-137455-shuma-gorath.jpg

Other villains that fought both Conan and the modern Marvel Universe include evil sorceror Kulan Gath - infamous for once transforming NYC into a version of the Hyborion Age (in an earlier apparance Mary Jane is possessed by the spirit of Red Sonja and helps Spider-Man beat Kulan Gath, Gath gets his revenge by killing Spider-Man after he transforms NYC - though he gets better).

xmen190.jpg

And Varnae the First Vampire. Yup, he's actually the very first Vampire created by the Darkhold. He chose Dracula as his successor.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not one to thread-shame, but was this worth asking the Era community instead of checking out a few wikis? Are we just checking to see if Slayven is online?

Even though Shuma first appeared in Marvel Comics as a Dr. Strange adversary - his name was actually taken from the writings of Robert E. Howard. A name you might recognize as the creator of Conan the Barbarian. This makes Shuma Gorath Lovecraftian by proxy - since Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals and often shared ideas.

Shuma is actually one of the few Marvel creations to appear in canon during Marvel's version of the Hyborion Age. Here's our favorite squid boy looking extra fiesty when he was summoned near Conan's homeland of Cimmeria

Other villains that fought both Conan and the modern Marvel Universe include evil sorceror Kulan Gath - infamous for once transforming NYC into a version of the Hyborion Age (in an earlier apparance Mary Jane is possessed by the spirit of Red Sonja and helps and Spider-Man beat Kulan Gath, Gath gets his revenge by killing Spider-Man - though he gets better).

xmen190.jpg

And Varnae the First Vampire. Yup, he's actually the very first Vampire created by the Darkhold. He chose Dracula as his successor.

I personally don't mind these types of threads, but I'm biased because I too fucked with Shuma from MvC2/3 and i always wanted to know what made it so special to be featured multiple times, but just never looked it up on a wiki

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I personally don't mind these types of threads, but I'm biased because I too fucked with Shuma from MvC2/3 and i always wanted to know what made it so special to be featured multiple times, but just never looked it up on a wiki

Fair enough. As for what made Shuma so special to be featured in multiple Mahvel games - the Japanese devs at Capcom really really love him.

Like, REALLY love him.

Love him to the point it was said they straight up offered one of their characters to Marvel Comics in an IP swap if they could have the rights to Shuma Gorath.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The background for Shuma Gorath always makes it sound like something that is vastly more powerful than anything else in the Marvel universe. I don't follow the comics closely enough, but presumably any stories involving it would only have the heroes fighting against some fraction of its power, or whatever other loophole the writer thinks up.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Shuma is one of the Many Angled Ones, which are just Lovecraftian creatures that exist in the spaces between universes that feed on said universes.

In DC terms, they're creatures that reside in Bleedspace. In more DC terms, they're 5th dimensional Imps (as the 5th dimension is the Bleed!).

The background for Shuma Gorath always makes it sound like something that is vastly more powerful than anything else in the Marvel universe. I don't follow the comics closely enough, but presumably any stories involving it would only have the heroes fighting against some fraction of its power, or whatever other loophole the writer thinks up.
Essentially, fighting Shuma or any of its counterparts always revolved around "how can we shove this bitch back in the hole it opened before it fully comes through and fucks us all up."

Thanos Imperative is a story where they all get through unrestrained. And we end up with shit like this:

1459385-the_engine.jpg

They killed Galactus of another universe, turned him into a weapon, and threw him at every Celestial tier being in the main universe.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Fair enough. As for what made Shuma so special to be featured in multiple Mahvel games - the Japanese devs at Capcom really really love him.

Like, REALLY love him.

Love him to the point it was said they straight up offered one of their characters to Marvel Comics in an IP swap if they could have the rights to Shuma Gorath.
O_O i wonder why....

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody at Capcom really loves one-eyed tentacle monsters.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Like, REALLY love him.

capcom japan didn't just love regular 'ol green shuma gorath...no...they specifically love the shuma gorath in pink/purple for...........'obvious' reason..( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

this panel first appears in the Infinity Gauntlet series and everyone of these cosmic entities (except the living tribunal) gathered to fight thanos with a full infinity gauntlet and all of them lost.

It's kinda crazy how some of these entities were already in the MCU or about to appear in the MCU

CosmicBeings.png

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018

Like, REALLY love him.

Do you actually have a source for that? I'd love to know more

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shuma-Gorath's full power we've never really seen. He's off reality, literally. He can project avatars of himself and ancient spells cast eons ago allow him to project miniscule amounts of his power. Which is enough to blast entire galaxies to shreds.

Shuma being physically present in an universe means that universe is gone. His sheer size and power obliterates everything, gods and pillars of existence included.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Like, REALLY love him.

Not saying I don't believe you but is this information quoted somewhere that I can read? I find it pretty hilarious

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Other villains that fought both Conan and the modern Marvel Universe include evil sorceror Kulan Gath - infamous for once transforming NYC into a version of the Hyborion Age (in an earlier apparance Mary Jane is possessed by the spirit of Red Sonja and helps Spider-Man beat Kulan Gath, Gath gets his revenge by killing Spider-Man after he transforms NYC - though he gets better).

xmen190.jpg

So basically between Doctor Strange and Blade shit is gonna get a lot more supernatural. That is my kinda jam.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's favorite marvel character for some reaso. Probably because he was fun to animate

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
To be perfectly fair, Shuma-Gorath is a really old character, made in 1972. Not entirely sure how Lovecraft copyright was handled at the time, but it could've potentially been a problem.

Even if not I imagine the idea of making their own Lovecraft-lite entities was to have something distinct that evoked the Cthulhu Mythos without actively sourcing it.

There is always incentive to make your own characters over using royalties free ones. If your product (comic/movie/whatever) is successful other companies will try a piece of the piece if you are using a pre existing character.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
this panel first appears in the Infinity Gauntlet series and everyone of these cosmic entities (except the living tribunal) gathered to fight thanos with a full infinity gauntlet and all of them lost.

It's kinda crazy how some of these entities were already in the MCU or about to appear in the MCU

CosmicBeings.png

Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus confirmed at SDCC this year that in an earlier draft of Infinity War, Strange takes Thanos on a mind trip that drops him at the feet of Living Tribunal. God I wish they had found a way to make that work.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus confirmed at SDCC this year that in an earlier draft of the Infinity War, Strange takes Thanos on a mind trip that drops him at the feet of Living Tribunal. God I wish they had found a way to make that work.
The nerd in me will loves that but i think that's too much for the general populous to handle even for a movie featuring Grimace, a walking tree and a space racoon.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
IG isn't multiversal Shuma is.
Mutliversal only if someone lets them in, and then their grasp is tenious at best. Thanos dying on their home turf allowed Death from the main universe to wreck their shit. Death couldn't do shit to someone wearing the IG unless they want Death too