• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Troll Thread Creation; History of the Same. Threadmaking Privileges Revoked
pop-art-episode-50-revenge-UFdsKPIHC42-vNuCAHmdiPO.1400x1400.jpg

What an incredible movie! Hilarious and an all time classic no doubt. Every now and then I come across a movie that blows me away and this is definitely one of them. Anyone else have the pleasure of watching this before?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can't be fucking serious. The main character LITERALLY RAPES A WOMAN in a triumphant finale.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the movie where a rape is played for laughs?
Not just laughs, like in a lot of movies from that era and before the girl is eventually talked into and likes it.

He even marries her in the sequels.

Its literally the worst message you could send on rape.

But that was almost 40 years ago now. It was a different time.

I will admit I thought it was hilarious as a kid and teenager but this is a great example of some stuff that does not age well.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The ending song is pretty damn good, but ya lot of stuff didn't age well at all in that movie.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved it as a kid, but yeah, things were different then and the movie definitely did not age well.

Catcollector

Aug 19, 2019
Liked it as a teen. Lots cool moments. But it's a movie to better fondly remember from select highlight clips on youtube instead of watching the whole package.

Oct 29, 2017
There wasn't just Rape committed. There was arson, home invasions and illegal filming of women without consent. It's truly an movie of it's time that can't be remade.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
lol

I was just thinking of the limp wristed throwing style.

Did they drug the moos or did everyone smoke up voluntarily? I don't remember. And the classic 80s trope of breaking in and spying on girls.

Is there anything in this movie that could be considered inoffensive in 2021?

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's an 80s as fuck raunchy comedy. There are a lot of funny moments and characters, it is just crazy to watch it now and be like "how the fuck that was ok, wtf?"

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe Breakfast Club released a year later and started to right ship on teen comedies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I loved this one back in the day.

It really was different time and it certainly wouldn't fly today, but it was a classic back then.

It had a lot of heart too regarding accepting fringe/bullied cultures.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
lol...they paint nerds as this oppressed race like black people. It's the most white written movie ever.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While I loved this movie when I was younger, it has not aged well at all and I find it impossible to enjoy as an adult. The homophobic stuff, the rape, the racism comparisons, etc.

It ain't aged as bad as Porky's, but it's still pretty bad. That time period was rough for comedies.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of this movie has aged like milk. And most comedy doesn't hold up after almost 40 years, but nerds really really falls on its face in a modern context. I recommend Real Genius.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of this movie has aged like milk. And most comedy doesn't hold up after almost 40 years, but nerds really really falls on its face in a modern context. I recommend Real Genius.

Real Genius is a brilliant movie. Kilmer was so fucking talented in the 80s .

I feel like he invented the cool genius with a sense of humor and an answer to everything character (see Ferris Bueller, Iron Man, etc).

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
He doesn't just rape her.

He rapes her while his friends are simultaneously selling illegally obtained nude photos of her to all their classmates.

Their is also a joke about a grown woman wanting to have sex with a 13 year old boy. I think he's 13?

That movie is all kinds of fucked up.

I still love Booger, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.