• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 11, 2017
One of me favourite shows of all time. Might be the one, really. I'm not sure we'll see something like it again.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Also binged it a few summers ago and loved it all, was great til the end. Sally became one of the more interesting characters, always enjoyed the scenes between her and Don in the final season.

giphy.gif

Such a journey from her in s1 to this

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show all around. I need to re-watch it at some point. For all the affairs that took place, if Don and Joan ever hooked up it would have literally destroyed the set. Those two were definition of power.

9436a.jpg

- Corny ending for Peggy but I liked her character

My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember her arc being interesting at the end but they slightly missed the ending.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've loved to hate a character more than Betty Draper.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd call Peggy's ending corny. Nihilistic probably. Having her slowly turn into Don and framing it as becoming successful is incredibly dim and cynical.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
One scene that has always stood out from me from the early seasons;

Much like the "I don't think about you at all" scene that is posted way more often now it's Don fooling someone else with something we know isn't true about himself, yet delivered in a way that it's easy to believe him.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd call Peggy's ending corny. Nihilistic probably. Having her slowly turn into Don and framing it as becoming successful is incredibly dim and cynical.

then again becoming don without all the extra don shit just means she's damn good at her job

unless you think she's sleeping with clients behind stan's back or something lol

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
My memory is a little fuzzy but I remember her arc being interesting at the end but they slightly missed the ending.
It just seemed very vanilla. Maybe there's some deeper meaning to it that I'm too dumb to get, though.

That was good, I guess I meant the literal end with Stand.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I did a rewatch last year. It's probably too soon to rewatch it now but it's a show that's near and dear to my heart. Wonderful character study, wonderful everything.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had this on my watchlist but never got to it - should I?

imo Mad Men and Red Dead Redemption 2 are two things you should only do after

- you have been married a few years
- you have had kids and they have grown up past 15
- you have had some sort of mid life crisis ("have i wasted my life?" kinda moment)
- you have decided sometime in the past 5 years to try and understand whats the difference between good booze and bad booze (scotch, bourbon, whiskey, whatever)
- its winter and its dark and cold outside a lot

The series (and that game) are much more impactful the older you are. Of course they are not pre-requisites and younger people will get a lot out of it too, but the way the show hits you is entirely different imo.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I was really in to Madmen but when the last season finally aired I complete lost interest in all the characters or story, I started watching and had trouble caring at all. Really bizarre.

It's still blowing my mind that Angel's emo son plays Pete and Cynthia Cosgrove was played by the actress from The Secret World of Alex Mack.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The best part of Mad Men is that all the background characters stay the same throughout most of the show. Then all of a sudden they get pushed to the front for half a season to tell a story about people mostly outside of the bullshit at the top.

Jared Harris is one of the best actors alive and I'll not take any further comments.
Jared Harris chooses his roles so carefully that if I see him acting in something then I automatically assume that the movie or TV show is 10/10. So far that holds true with Mad Men, The Expanse, etc.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The best part of Mad Men is that all the background characters stay the same throughout most of the show. Then all of a sudden they get pushed to the front for half a season to tell a story about people mostly outside of the bullshit at the top.
I was expecting Sal to return for a couple of seasons but never happened.

Jared Harris chooses his roles so carefully that if I see him acting in something then I automatically assume that the movie or TV show is 10/10. So far that holds true with Mad Men, The Expanse, etc.
Was kind of bummed he left Expanse but The Terror was great so whatever.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

The only way she is becoming Don is that she's successful. She gets proposed to and has none of Don's fidelity, alcohol, or self loathing issues.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
poor sal. they get rachel's husband who we see for maybe 20 seconds once in season 2 come back in season 7 to hold a minyan for her, they get midge to come back as a heroin addict after being gone since season 1, but sal just disappears. it's period accurate for that character but it always hurts especially on rewatches because you know that phone booth call to his wife is it.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The whole series in a week? Watching more then a season of this in a week sounds like over kill. Doesn't do the show justice I feel.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they get this lady (whose name on the show I know now is joyce) to come back but poor sal. just :poof:

ZZY2zWm.png

muH6p65.png

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else majorly crush on Rachel Menken?

U5dMonC.gif

some of the best lines on the show too, on a show with roger sterling no less

barbara: it's 1960, we don't live in a shtetl anymore. we can marry for love

rachel: I'm not sure people do that anymore

and

don: they're doing a movie of Exodus with Paul Newman

rachel: Paul Newman? that's nice, now I have two reasons to see it

and of course the wardrobe

g29BOxx.png
7Bjyprz.png
5uhdSaa.png

huHwYni.png
wTaYbo4.png

d3Xge1T.png
eAthCQw.png

Last edited:

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Who's your favourite Bobby? Mine is "we've got to get you a new daddy" Bobby.

Second place is "you'll be dead" Bobby, although he probably comes out the winner as the only one that lasted more than one season?

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best show ever. There was someone in another thread this show has some of the most well written women in it and I couldn't agree more.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yep, throw in The Terror, which was fantastic, and Chernobyl.

Just seeing his face pop up in the trailer made me immediately hyped for The Foundation on AppleTV. Guy is batting basically a thousand when it comes to TV roles.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best show ever. There was someone in another thread this show has some of the most well written women in it and I couldn't agree more.
I know i've said that here before. It's just a fact. But they had a lot of women in that writing room.

all the women on this show are so different and nuanced and many show different kinds of strength