• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
-German plane crashes near Schofield and Blake and instead of killing or at least disarming him they let a severely wounded pilot to kill Blake because who knows what the hell they were thinking to do with him.

-Schofields barge into a room where he knows there is a soldier and almost get killed. He was lucky the soldier was almost dead, otherwise it would've been a different history.

-Schofield tells a German soldier to keep quite instead of killing him when he has the chance and of course the German doesn't shut up and almost alert his drunken partner. At the end he has to kill him anyways.

-Speaking of the drunken soldier, he could have take him out fairly easily but instead bumps into him and let him alert other soldiers.

You could say that at the end he completed his mission but he finds second division by pure luck.

I wouldn't want a soldier like him watching my back.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
He's only human, as well as being exhausted and shellshocked.

As for the plane, that was empathy unfortunately biting them

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
He probably just wasn't thinking right. He probably had pretty bad PTSD.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- they wanted to take the pilot as a prisoner maybe, it was a human mistake to let him live

- He had to barge in, that was the tactics those days. You ran head first and hoped to win

- the soldier was young and it's fucking hard killing someone up close and personal while staring into their eyes

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
  1. He has a heart, and was moved by Blake's empathy for a scared German soldier. It was misplaced empathy, but it was empathy nonetheless.
  2. They're both absolutely terrified, and it was his only chance to survive.
  3. He has a heart, and doesn't want to kill people. Moreover, the soldier he wound up having to choke out was a teenager at the oldest. Schofield may have a wife and kid, but he's not much older than that.
  4. He has a heart, and doesn't want to kill people.
Propaganda is effective at making you forget the human. Perhaps you should reevaluate your perspective.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait didn't Schofield make it in time to stop the rest of the troops from attacking? Like accomplishing the mission they gave him?

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
i cant remember if his age is mentioned, but hes 20ish with a fcking hell of a task in the most brutal war ever..i mean cmon.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"You should've done this" is a really easy position to take when you're sitting in a chair watching it happen and not trekking through fields of dirt and dead bodies with no rest on a time sensitive mission to rescue hundreds of men.

batman-trilogy-special-8.png

People talk about what they would've done all the time when the real answer is you would've shat your pants and died

Also it seems clear that he's not into killing if he doesn't have to

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
"You should've done this" is a really easy position to take when you're sitting in a chair watching it happen and not trekking through fields of dirt and dead bodies with no rest on a time sensitive mission to rescue hundreds of men.

batman-trilogy-special-8.png

People talk about what they would've done all the time when the real answer is you would've shat your pants and died

Also it seems clear that he's not into killing if he doesn't have to

damn perfect exemple...nolan is a god.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I feel like you missed the entire point of the movie. He wanted to save lives, not take them. When they saw the pilot on fire their first instinct was to try to save him because they have basic human empathy.

You're supposed to leave the movie feeling upset at the horrors perpetrated on these poor young people, not annoyed at how they didn't John Wick the WW1 battlefield.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Lol what.

He's not an action movie hero. He's not John wick.

He a regular ass dude trying not to die in dumbass war.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Why isn't everyone a cool SpecOp gamgbanger like Cpt. Price from CoD.

Wasn't anything from Schofield that felt overly incompetence.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Besides what everyone else has already said, Schofield having earned a medal for his actions pre movie is also a major plot point. One he traded for wine because it didnt mean anything to him. Which is the whole point. Being a badass doesn't matter, the war is pointless and wasteful.

He absolutely is a competent soldier, but at his core he's just a dude doing his best to survive and make sure his friends death wasn't pointless.

Frankly considering how much awful shit he was willing to endure just for that, he's the type of person I would trust the most to have my back.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Besides what everyone else has already said, Schofield having earned a medal for his actions pre movie is also a major plot point. One he traded for wine because it didnt mean anything to him. Which is the whole point. Being a badass doesn't matter, the war is pointless and wasteful.

He absolutely is a competent soldier, but at his core he's just a dude doing his best to survive and make sure his friends death wasn't pointless.

Frankly considering how much awful shit he was willing to endure just for that, he's the type of person I would trust the most to have my back.
I mean, holy shit, he completed the mission and he wasn't even the soldier who seemed to be the protagonist with a personal stake in the task. Like he could have turned back at least twice, but didn't

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like you missed the entire point of the movie. He wanted to save lives, not take them. When they saw the pilot on fire their first instinct was to try to save him because they have basic human empathy.

I've only seen the movie once, but didn't Schofield actually want to kill the German pilot after his plane crashed? I think I remember him saying something like it would be a mercy to shoot him, but Blake was the one who wanted to save the pilot.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
-German plane crashes near Schofield and Blake and instead of killing or at least disarming him they let a severely wounded pilot to kill Blake because who knows what the hell they were thinking to do with him.

-Schofields barge into a room where he knows there is a soldier and almost get killed. He was lucky the soldier was almost dead, otherwise it would've been a different history.

-Schofield tells a German soldier to keep quite instead of killing him when he has the chance and of course the German doesn't shut up and almost alert his drunken partner. At the end he has to kill him anyways.

-Speaking of the drunken soldier, he could have take him out fairly easily but instead bumps into him and let him alert other soldiers.

You could say that at the end he completed his mission but he finds second division by pure luck.

This is an awful take on so many levels.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I've only seen the movie once, but didn't Schofield actually want to kill the German pilot after his plane crashed? I think I remember him saying something like it would be a mercy to shoot him, but Blake was the one who wanted to save the pilot.
I wouldn't say he wanted to, but I think he felt it was the best option, yeah.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it weird how people don't do the exact right thing at the exact right time because they're not emotionless and omniscient time wizards?

God, Schofield is SO DUMB.
Really prevents well rounded characters sometimes because anytime they don't make the perfect choice they are seen as dumb or incompetent writing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Really prevents well rounded characters sometimes because anytime they don't make the perfect choice they are seen as dumb or incompetent writing.
The solution is not to pander to the portion of the audience that lacks insight and emotional intelligence. The writer has to be willing to leave some viewers adrift.

It's a tricky balance if you care about profits. Artistic integrity often has a price.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
"What's up with his humanity bro? I played all the CoD games and this was nothing like it!"