• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This hobby game project is an open-source fan game. Started this project from May 12, 2013, and this project has went from a graduate school application portfolio, to job interviews portfolio, to what is now a side project in my spare time.

During this whole pandemic situation, I have been finishing off my backlog of games, changed my laziness and procrastination into motivation to do something at home.

So, it's finally time for a wonderfully working project to go through some rigorous code refactoring.

Been going well, and things are really starting to piece together nicely, but there is still a lot of work needs to be done. I wrecked the core foundation of the code base, so it's close to 90% code refactoring. 10% of which are still intact in the original codebase.

So yeah, it's a small achievement and a victory for myself. That's all.

The thing is... I don't feel comfortable in sharing my fan game to the public, as we all know fan games are guaranteed to bring legal issues with them. :(

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Congratulations man! That's a huge accomplishment!

It's kind of rough to post this and then not share anything about your game though!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats! That's a long time to stick with something. You deserve to feel proud of what you've accomplished :)

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Thanks.

And let me know anything about the legality of open-source fan games, since I'm living under a rock for all these years.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Even if you don't feel comfortable sharing pictures or stuff, could your tell us what type of game it is? Like gameplay and graphic wise?

What were the hardest thing to do for you? Or how do you keep it improving over the year.

I've spent some time on fan made game here and there at the end of my studies, but I've never got the motivation to go past the first few months because of the huge investment it takes for one person.
It's still very fun.

Good job on keeping it going years after years

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! I know that feeling of eternally spinning your wheels:

6k7D3EW.png

v5O69QD.png

Same project. 14 years of continuous work.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to all the hobby devs out there. I'm sure there's way more than we'll ever know about.

Best of luck to your project OP (and others like Krejlooc)!

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Even if you don't feel comfortable sharing pictures or stuff, could your tell us what type of game it is? Like gameplay and graphic wise?

What were the hardest thing to do for you? Or how do you keep it improving over the year.

I've spent some time on fan made game here and there at the end of my studies, but I've never got the motivation to go past the first few months because of the huge investment it takes for one person.
It's still very fun.

Good job on keeping it going years after years

2D tile-based Game Boy RPG game + level editor + script editor + user-made mod support + custom levels/area maps + modded scripts/dialogues.

Gameplay is inspired by Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow's game mechanics of walking around, interacting with objects, jumping off ledges, dialogues, scripted cutscenes, scripted movement paths, riding bicycle, surfing, picking up items, and bumping into things.

Hardest thing was coming up with a way to make an RPG game engine that simulates perfectly what all of the movements the player can do in the original games. This includes the slow delayed animations as the player bumps into things, and ignoring player input as the player character walks across tiles.

I keep improving it by tearing down and analyzing the original walking animations, and refactoring the code so it uses object-oriented data models and making those models interact with each other. It's really hard.

And yes, it does take a huge investment. But I think it's worth doing, because you're focusing on the niche gameplay behavior and making a game out of it.

Last edited: