• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I don't know how HR doesn't take your health and welfare into account. What country are you in? This seems off. If there is a health and safety violation for you, then HR has to address it, regardless of who pays the person putting you at risk.

Canada! And yeah, HR might take the (literal) shit seriously - we've never gone to them specifically for that, actually. Just assumed it would be lumped in with "address it with her supervisor".

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
This printing out emails and physically handing the replies is blowing my fucking mind rn

What in the fuck

Also she's treading fucking shit down the hallways????

She keeps them in binders so she can go back if she needs to. She has emails from 2013. And honestly that's fine, she can keep whatever she wants in binders, but why the hell do we need a paper copy?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You see, now this thread is delivering. I'm still caught up with the whole printing emails and then sending printed emails to everyone.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at the e-mail stuff, I think she might hate all of you.

But seriously, who does that?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I've worked in office settings since 2003, this is the first I've had someone this intrusive.

Yes. I worked with someone who clipped his toenails on his desk, spit sunflower seed shells everywhere, and had phone sex with his wife almost daily. But he never shit on the floor, as far as I know, so... silver linings I guess.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes. I worked with someone who clipped his toenails on his desk,

23e68df415a46e41e63dfe2762b4b0d6.gif

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
For a little less than a year I worked at a smaller design agency. About 25 employees total.
I was hired as the Director of Interactive Services but I also somehow wound up becoming the IT guy. The owners did not think we needed a dedicated IT person (ie they were cheap), and one of them was the one that usually took care of it. Well when I was hired the position basically got thrown to me on top of my other duties. This was not part of the job description when I signed on.

Oh yeah, all of the owners were 60 and older. Way out of touch with shit. They hired me to bring some life into their agency as up until that point in time they only were offering their clients print services and losing people left and right.
We butt heads almost immediately. They were not open at all to why they hired me. Shit was just not a good fit. Me also being asked to be the IT guy on top of everything else was just the icing on top of the shitty cake.

Somehow I stick it out almost a year. I did see it as an opportunity to do something good for my career.

I was supposed to come into the office 2 hours early on a Monday morning as we were doing something with the local servers. I honestly do not even remember what it was. I think just applying an update.
On the way to work there was an accident involving a car and a train. Shit was backed up for miles. So I wound up being about 90 minutes late. I really did not think anything of it. I literally could not go anywhere due to the accident.

When I arrived, the owner of the place started screaming at me like I was a kid. Mind you I was almost 30 years old at this point in time. He was over 60 years old.
I just attempted to walk away as I was about to lose my shit, and my man literally pushed me as I turned around and my back was to him.

So I turned around and said "we can take this shit outside right now if you are feeling brave old man."
My man literally lunged at me, some punches were thrown, I avoided them all and called him a "miserable old fuck." I also started laughing which just enraged him even more. It was a truly ugly scene.

Since no one was there except this kid that was interning, it was my word against the owner.
Fortunately that kid did tell HR (the lone women) what actually went down.
That was my last day there and I actually received two months severance.

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
For a little less than a year I worked at a smaller design agency. About 25 employees total.
I was hired as the Director of Interactive Services but I also somehow wound up becoming the IT guy. The owners did not think we needed a dedicated IT person (ie they were cheap), and one of them was the one that usually took care of it. Well when I was hired the position basically got thrown to me on top of my other duties. This was not part of the job description when I signed on.

Oh yeah, all of the owners were 60 and older. Way out of touch with shit. They hired me to bring some life into their agency as up until that point in time they only were offering their clients print services and losing people left and right.
We butt heads almost immediately. They were not open at all to why they hired me. Shit was just not a good fit. Me also being asked to be the IT guy on top of everything else was just the icing on top of the shitty cake.

Somehow I stick it out almost a year. I did see it as an opportunity to do something good for my career.

I was supposed to come into the office 2 hours early on a Monday morning as we were doing something with the local servers. I honestly do not even remember what it was. I think just applying an update.
On the way to work there was an accident involving a car and a train. Shit was backed up for miles. So I wound up being about 90 minutes late. I really did not think anything of it. I literally could not go anywhere due to the accident.

When I arrived, the owner of the place started screaming at me like I was a kid. Mind you I was almost 30 years old at this point in time. He was over 60 years old.
I just attempted to walk away as I was about to lose my shit, and my man literally pushed me as I turned around and my back was to him.

So I turned around and said "we can take this shit outside right now if you are feeling brave old man."
My man literally lunged at me, some punches were thrown, I avoided them all and called him a "miserable old fuck." I also started laughing which just enraged him even more. It was a truly ugly scene.

Since no one was there except this kid that was interning, it was my word against the owner.
Fortunately that kid did tell HR (the lone women) what actually went down.
That was my last day there and I actually received two months severance.

.... holy shit 😂 He seriously went at you? What was his plan there? Glad the intern had your back at least. It sounds more like they just wanted someone to come fix their mess and take care of their computers, unfortunately.

Oct 31, 2017
Anyways on topic the only time I ever "went at" a coworker was when I texted him after our shift because for a few weeks he was being an asshole making underhanded comments and being super condescending, so I sent him a text telling him that I've been noticing his condescending behavior and insulting side remarks/backhanded compliments, and that it's getting on my nerves, and I would like for it to stop. He didn't reply but he stopped.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
.... holy shit 😂 He seriously went at you? What was his plan there? Glad the intern had your back at least. It sounds more like they just wanted someone to come fix their mess and take care of their computers, unfortunately.
It was crazy, as I knew he was a bit of a hot head, I had seen him scream at some other people before me and thought wow, he is a dick. But it was like a switch flipped in him. He was bright red and just like the old bugs bunny cartoons. I felt like I could see the steam coming out of his ears.
The real crazy thing is he was a pretty big dude for an old man. Like 6 foot 3 and in fairly good shape. Truth be told I am not sure I could have taken him on. LOL But because he was so angry he was out of control. And because I was relatively calm I had the upper hand. But he literally came at me came at me. If he was not so angry, I do wonder how shit would have went down.

But you no doubt hit on something. I was living proof his company of like 40 years was failing. That is literally why I was there, to try and save them. So I think he was just in fuck it mode.

As a side note, he wound up selling his share of the company a few months later and retiring. They actually called me after and asked if I was interested in coming back. I did not.

Oct 25, 2017
Telling off the person who frustrates me at work would be pointless, because they don't understand why they're so bad at their job and explaining it wouldn't help.

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Telling off the person who frustrates me at work would be pointless, because they don't understand why they're so bad at their job and explaining it wouldn't help.

I think that's the wave we'd all been riding up to now. Today wasn't planned, but I can't say I regret it too much :/ Maybe if I'd legit cursed her out.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
The shit thing and the coughing thing is obviously disgusting.

The email thing...does she not know about "return receipts"? If you're using Outlook or Lotus at your job, you can send an email with a return receipt, and it will notify the sender when the recipient views/opens the email, therefore eliminating the need to print out a paper copy to "make sure they got it." I'd imagine other email services have this feature as well.

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
The shit thing and the coughing thing is obviously disgusting.

The email thing...does she not know about "return receipts"? If you're using Outlook or Lotus at your job, you can send an email with a return receipt, and it will notify the sender when the recipient views/opens the email, therefore eliminating the need to print out a paper copy to "make sure they got it." I'd imagine other email services have this feature as well.

Absolutely. She does the same when she sends a fax, calling the person on the other side to make sure they got all the pages because one time back in 1997...

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
So I firmly believe nothing here is gonna sound nearly as annoying/shitty as you guys want it to be, but

My coworker is a lady in her 50s. She gets a lot of emails, as we all do, but she prints them off to keep them, all of them. We don't know why, and she won't answer if we ask. I'd say 70% of our paper goes down the drain with her printed emails. If we send her an email for something, she'll reply and print off her reply and give it to us. We don't know why, we've asked her not to, but she does it so "she knows we got it".

She shits on the toilet seat and doesn't clean it. Not full shits, just crumbles. It's been on the floor, it's been tread down the halls, she doesn't care. That's for housekeeping.

She will cough all day, loudly with her mouth open, for no obvious reason. Just coughing cuz why not. Everyone in the office gets sick every time she's sick, because of course we will. She won't cough if she's talking to someone, or on the phone. It's not even a regular cough, but always a huge ass whoop.

If it's not coughing, it's talking. Everyone chats in the office, but with her it can't just be joining into a convo - she has to tell her story, then again differently (same story), and then she'll bring it up again after and tell the same story again... and again. We heard the same story 5 times one day. We asked once if she remembered telling X story, and she did. She just wanted to tell it again.

She'll stay at work til about 6pm, the office closes at 4. She's in at 7am. She has friends and family and things to do, but she reminds us daily that she's intensely overworked and exhausted and everything else. We get it - we all have families and kids at home. We ask her why she stays so late, and the answer is because there's so much work to do... and we'd believe this and sympathise if she didn't spend her days staring into space or printing emails or coughing for sport or leaving turd packages in the washroom.

We've offered to help with her workload, even though we're all bombed, but she won't take the help because it's "too complicated". We do the same job.

And yeah, we've talked to her manager and a couple others at work to see how we can fix this, but no one really cares. One of my coworkers had a partition built between her and the problem one, but it didn't really help. At the moment, everyone wears headphones so we can actually concentrate.

The coworker with the partition used to try nicely to deflect her, but it just ended up with the problem coworker staking out the washroom while she'd be in there, wait for her to come out, and ask "are you maaaad at me?" Coworker, saint that she is, would just say no and go back to her desk. Then it would all happen again the next week.

Sorry I know there's more, but this is some of it :(

edit: ay I forgot that she doesn't clean her workspace. That's a treat. Food, spills, trash, used tissues, etc. The housekeeper will come at the end of the day, she won't care. She'll drop stuff right in front of him cuz why not (and sorry but dude is a Syrian refugee, he doesn't deserve to be taken advantage of like that ffs)

edit edit: And no I didn't go up to her and freak out, she came to me with a story she'd just told twice to myself and a nurse, and I told her to stop, I'd heard it twice two minutes ago, and I don't care. Harsh, right.
Go to HR rather than acting like an ass next time. It's what they're there for.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I program and had an asshole go to of my 6 open tasks and post a "maybe you should be working on x instead" comment awhile ago. It wasn't even something I knew I should be working on. He'd communicated with me about it zero times.

I called him a dick. He came back with some sort of dumbass "there's no need to be offended" comment.

I don't think that really counts as telling someone off though but it's really fucked me over when i need to ask him to fix his shitty code.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't call out anyone but I basically broke down in a meeting and said a project we were working on was going no where and I'm going insane because of it. Something might be done about it now so I guess it's worth it

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
She shits on the toilet seat and doesn't clean it. Not full shits, just crumbles. It's been on the floor, it's been tread down the halls, she doesn't care. That's for housekeeping.

What kind of insane hellhole do you work in that nothing is being done about this?

If someone upsets me, I either let it slide because who cares, or I tell them they've gotten me cross and hope we can work it out and do better.

I'm now imagining you slowly swiveling around in your chair and, completely devoid of emotion, saying "You have gotten me cross".

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
So I firmly believe nothing here is gonna sound nearly as annoying/shitty as you guys want it to be, but

My coworker is a lady in her 50s. She gets a lot of emails, as we all do, but she prints them off to keep them, all of them. We don't know why, and she won't answer if we ask. I'd say 70% of our paper goes down the drain with her printed emails. If we send her an email for something, she'll reply and print off her reply and give it to us. We don't know why, we've asked her not to, but she does it so "she knows we got it".

She will cough all day, loudly with her mouth open, for no obvious reason. Just coughing cuz why not. Everyone in the office gets sick every time she's sick, because of course we will. She won't cough if she's talking to someone, or on the phone. It's not even a regular cough, but always a huge ass whoop.

If it's not coughing, it's talking. Everyone chats in the office, but with her it can't just be joining into a convo - she has to tell her story, then again differently (same story), and then she'll bring it up again after and tell the same story again... and again. We heard the same story 5 times one day. We asked once if she remembered telling X story, and she did. She just wanted to tell it again.

She'll stay at work til about 6pm, the office closes at 4. She's in at 7am. She has friends and family and things to do, but she reminds us daily that she's intensely overworked and exhausted and everything else. We get it - we all have families and kids at home. We ask her why she stays so late, and the answer is because there's so much work to do... and we'd believe this and sympathise if she didn't spend her days staring into space or printing emails or coughing for sport or leaving turd packages in the washroom.

We've offered to help with her workload, even though we're all bombed, but she won't take the help because it's "too complicated". We do the same job.

And yeah, we've talked to her manager and a couple others at work to see how we can fix this, but no one really cares. One of my coworkers had a partition built between her and the problem one, but it didn't really help. At the moment, everyone wears headphones so we can actually concentrate.

The coworker with the partition used to try nicely to deflect her, but it just ended up with the problem coworker staking out the washroom while she'd be in there, wait for her to come out, and ask "are you maaaad at me?" Coworker, saint that she is, would just say no and go back to her desk. Then it would all happen again the next week.

Sorry I know there's more, but this is some of it :(

edit: ay I forgot that she doesn't clean her workspace. That's a treat. Food, spills, trash, used tissues, etc. The housekeeper will come at the end of the day, she won't care. She'll drop stuff right in front of him cuz why not (and sorry but dude is a Syrian refugee, he doesn't deserve to be taken advantage of like that ffs)

edit edit: And no I didn't go up to her and freak out, she came to me with a story she'd just told twice to myself and a nurse, and I told her to stop, I'd heard it twice two minutes ago, and I don't care. Harsh, right.

I will side with OP, your coworker sounds obnoxious. I sit in an office with 600 collegues and not a single one of them behaves like this (though a bunch of them do other things that are perhaps not as obnoxious but much scarier; there are certainly some people with psychopathic tendencies).

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I will side with OP, your coworker sounds obnoxious. I sit in an office with 600 collegues and not a single one of them behaves like this (though a bunch of them do other things that are perhaps not as obnoxious but much scarier; there are certainly some people with psychopathic tendencies).

I mean people are gonna be weird at work, but those precious few take it to a whole other creepy-ass level.

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I didn't call out anyone but I basically broke down in a meeting and said a project we were working on was going no where and I'm going insane because of it. Something might be done about it now so I guess it's worth it

Sorry to hear that :( Hopefully they sort it out - if it's really going nowhere, maybe it's good that you spoke up. Could save you some sanity.

OP
OP
Papa Satanás

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
How did she take the (very mild) telling off? Think you might get a couple of days of the silent treatment?

Her response on the spot was "very well then", and she went back to her desk. I'm sort of expecting nothing, though. She's been told off (gently and not so gently) by clinic staff, and her behaviours didn't change.

Silent treatment would be really nice

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
The art of telling someone off is doing it without it sounding like you're telling them off.

Learn this and you will climb the ladder.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I plan to do this with my boss in a few weeks when I hand my notice in.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah we all did that. Eventually you get a bit fed up when you realise most of your day is spent either deflecting, coaching, or pacifying a coworker who won't help themselves.
This is two of my coworkers right there. I work in a small business and one constantly tells the same stories over and over again and the other can't get out of their own way with life decisions. It's super annoying.

On a separate note op reading some of these responses on here is crazy. Some of you are so scared of hr and actually having a confrontation that clearly needed to happen that it's mind boggling. When things like what the op stated are allowed to linger and fester it affects everyone and if management won't do anything then you should take things politely but firmly in your hands. You might be seen as overbearing or over stepping your bounds but for your own mental stability sometimes you need to step up and protect your neck.

Oct 27, 2017
Her response on the spot was "very well then", and she went back to her desk. I'm sort of expecting nothing, though. She's been told off (gently and not so gently) by clinic staff, and her behaviours didn't change.

Silent treatment would be really nice

She sounds like a nightmare OP.

The email thing, fuck me that's dumb. Someone needs to calculate the cost to the company in paper and toner and binders and so on just so she can pointlessly create waste. She keeps them so she can go back over them if need be? Like that would work, the idiot, 1000 times quicker to simply filter outlook by a name or a subject or whatever than trying to flip through 4000 pages of old correspondence across what I assume is multiple binders.

My company is on a real drive to reduce printing costs once someone did the calcs and realised current usage, people printing emails and reports that they really don't need to was costing almost £200k a year.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can you please think of a more exotic word than 'crumbles'?
I think that's straight to there with moist as worst adjectives.