• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I've avoided watching the show for years due to people saying how bad the ending was.

All I know is that they may or may not be in purgatory, it all ends in church, and sometime in the show some guy says we have to go back.

I think I'm 4 episodes in? The music and direction is awesome. For a cable tv show of its time, there's a blockbuster quality to how it presents itself. There's a shit ton of stereotypical characters though and I can already predict how some shit is eventually going to go down.

When people say "the ending sucked" then I don't take that as "Everything was awesome until the very last episode". What many people did when the show was on air was that at certain points in the show they grabbed onto the characters and others onto the plot and hoped it would make sense of all the change introduced during the show.
They still loved the characters (mostly) but it was obviously not enough for everyone to keep the entire thing together. Ideally you have both characters and plot in a cohesive whole the entire way. The cracks showed up way earlier and maybe we should have seen it coming but many people didn't want to see them and others just thought that there was some genius writing going on that would retroactively repair the entire thing somehow.

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the characters but I grew tired during S5 and I never watched S6 excepet for the first two episodes. I should rewatch it.

Oct 26, 2017
Ughh the ending isn't confusing I'm not sure why so many misinterpreted that
Blame ABC airing a shot of the downed underwater airplane during the original broadcast.

Having to constantly explain that
they're not in f'ing purgatory is so exhausting.

Also season 5 and 6 are great. I even like the direction they took with Locke. That episode with Allison Janney sucked though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I could handle the later seasons becoming weird because I still liked most of the characters but I hated how they ruined Locke, my favorite character. I finished the show but man, it soured my whole viewing.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I don't understand the "S2 sucks" camp. It's legit the most intriguing part of the entire series imho. S1 has a lot of interesting character development but the mystery really doesn't go anywhere, it's by S2 that you understand there's something seriously unreal about that place. The mysteries after felt hit and miss, some were great (the boat), others felt really forced for shoch value (the birth thing). Obviously staying generic to avoid spoilers.
Hearing some people talk, I think it's tied to just the time the show was airing. The big conversation around the show and speculating online as it was airing sounds fun, but doesn't play the same way in 2019 obvs.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Stop after S1, that's peak LOST. It only goes downhill from there.

Yeah, I don't understand the "S2 sucks" camp. It's legit the most intriguing part of the entire series imho. S1 has a lot of interesting character development but the mystery really doesn't go anywhere, it's by S2 that you understand there's something seriously unreal about that place. The mysteries after felt hit and miss, some were great (the boat), others felt really forced for shoch value (the birth thing). Obviously staying generic to avoid spoilers.

S2 doesn't suck, but it's the start of the major problems with LOST.

This is the season that introduces so many of the mystery elements that will never be resolved. It's also the season that the formula of flashbacks and character drama starts to become apparent. Lastly, it's the season that ditches the survival element once they find the hatch. After that, the simple stories about finding a water source or food is gone and there's a more general safety so the story can focus more on mystery and explosions. It's a good season, but when you look back you realize everything wrong started with S2.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it after it aired like you OP. I knew less than you know, but this is definitely the way to watch it. If I'd have waited week after week, season after season, year after year for episodes only to be greeted with that ending I'd be pissed. It was enjoyable to do as a binge watch over the course of a week or so.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Watched it several years after it ended, having somehow avoided all the contemporaneous discussion of it when it aired, over the course of 4-5 months. Loved it from beginning to end and my appreciation for it only grew from season to season. It's my favorite TV series by a good margin.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I've been planning to start it too, being pushed by my wife since it's her favorite show and she's in for a rewatch.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I've been planning to start it too, being pushed by my wife since it's her favorite show and she's in for a rewatch.
Just focus on the character drama then, have fun and don't expect the broader narrative to eventually make any sense or pay off in any satisfying way. It can be an enjoyable show so long as you manage your expectations, which I apparently didn't do enough of.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, LOST. I still like the show and you're going to have a great time watching it. It was crazy good for at TV show at the time.

I'm bummed you won't be able to enjoy the craziest part of it though - waiting from week to week and all the forum / watercooler talk around it. That was the real magic of the show. Where I was you could talk to total strangers at the bus stop about it the next day. The amount of time wasted trying to speculate why a certain book was on a booskelf in the background was HILARIOUS (I had a friend SUPER into the show).

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Watched start to finish. I thought the ending was fine. I also thought that people watched it without close captioning/paying attention, so it made things more confusing/got lost in the lore too much.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Lost was the first show I binged on Netflix. It took me a month to watch all of it, and I loved it. I didn't find certain seasons nearly as bad or tedious as some, but I think I can mostly attribute that to not having to wait 6 years for a conclusion. Oh, this or that season is slow, oh well I'll be done with it by Thursday anyway. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to protect my son. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalt.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we not spoil stuff that comes later? Especially when OP is actively watching season one and has never seen it before... having Lost's twists and turns spoiled for you sucks so much honestly. They are so many really mindblowing moments and surprises that will genuinely shock you. If you haven't already had them spoiled.

Lost is one of the great series in the history of television. It's a classic. And its stature has actually grown since it ended, as most of what I remember at the time it ended was this very intense criticism of the show and season six in particular. I think as we're almost ten years from the finale and as time passes, strangely enough, as people have gained the ability to bingewatch the show, for instance, there's a more nuanced view of the last two seasons and there's a lot of people who really love the last two seasons. When you watch 10 episodes in a row some of the issues those final seasons have are less obvious than when you only get one episode at a time and you have to let it sit and marinate for a while.

I think seasons 2 and 4 are the show's best. Those two seasons have moments that are so phenomenal they rank among the best in TV history. But they also both have pretty bad low points that expose some of Lost's weaknesses and inconsistencies.

I don't think seasons 5 and 6 are bad at all. They're still good, sometimes great TV and absolutely worth watching. I really don't get it when people say stop at the end of season 4. The show has a very clear resolution and conclusion, why stop (and on such an intense cliffhanger too) before you reach it?

It's cool that this thread popped up, as I've been rewatching it in the past few days (i'm about 1/3 of the way into season 2 at the moment). Actually started my rewatch around the time the thread was made but I missed it. Searched to see if anyone had made a Lost thread on Era and hey...

Well I'm pretty sure the asian couple can clearly speak English and are hiding for a reason. For some reason I get the vibe they're trying to push her and the black dad together.

That was the original plan.

I remember arguing with friends on how fondly this show would be remembered. I called the ending trash and felt the legacy of the show was not going to hold up. Called it.

Its legacy has held up extremely well though? One of the most common things I hear about it is "I just started rewatching/watching for the first time and it's held up so well." It was filmed on 35mm (a very unusual decision even back then, and unthinkable today) which will make future remasters in higher resolutions fruitful too. I feel like I see its influence everywhere on TV today (a lot of shows learned the wrong lessons). This is an interesting piece on how it feels like it's come full circle recently with people reappraising the show. There's very few shows that attract this kind of passion 15 years later where fans are organizing conventions in Hawaii to go explore locations where the show was filmed.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like whatever you end up thinking about Lost, you probably won't decide that it was all a waste of time. I hated the ending personally, but despite the obvious feeling that they were never going to wrap everything up in a satisfying way, the producers held the pedal to the metal pretty much all the way through season 6 and somehow it mostly worked anyways.

I'm not sure I could ever watch it again, just because that's so much goddamned television, but I think about it occasionally. I liked pretty much all of it.

Except Nikki and Paolo. And Jack's stupid tattoo. And the dumb love triangle with Jack, Sawyer and Kate, that got old pretty quickly for me.