• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just landed in Lisbon. Will be here until the 11th of January. Gonna hit all the major cities. Drink some Porto, Duoro wine, drink Beirao, eat pastel de nata, dance the new years in. Gonna drink so much lol

Whats everyone's holiday plans?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Amsterdam this week with my partner, eating and drinking and wandering about. Taking it real easy, we both just needed some time to relax this year. It has been a rough one.

The hotel bar does some of the best cocktails I've ever had so that's helping.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Spend it at home seeing friends and family and drinking/eating myself into some sort of coma.

Also, look through summer holidays abroad I can't afford and then maybe cry a little!

OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Amsterdam this week with my partner, eating and drinking and wandering about. Taking it real easy, we both just needed some time to relax this year. It has been a rough one.

The hotel bar does some of the best cocktails I've ever had so that's helping.

oh im so excited for cocktails too!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Was there in 2016, great city, watched then win the Euro.

I was in Buenos Aires solo for a week, then Bangladesh for 3 days to visit family, currently in Phu Quoc, Vietnam for 5 days then heading to Chiang Mai, Thailand for 5 days with the wife and back NYC. I cut down drinking straight liquor a lot, but eating local great food and drinking beer heavily. That's my plan.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
went back home for the winter break until January

my main goal right now is to make my parents feel happy enough at seeing me that we step the whole me failing two whole ass courses business

OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was there in 2016, great city, watched then win the Euro.

I was in Buenos Aires solo for a week, then Bangladesh for 3 days to visit family, currently in Phu Quoc, Vietnam for 5 days then heading to Chiang Mai, Thailand for 5 days with the wife and back NYC. I cut down drinking straight liquor a lot, but eating local great food and drinking beer heavily. That's my plan.

Ohh. That sounds like an amazing trip too.
Oh

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fun! Eat all the good food for me!

My wife and I are going on our honeymoon to Turks and Caicos. We just landed in Charlotte and will be on the ground in T&C in about 7 hours and we'll be there until the 31st.

We're gonna have non-alcoholic cocktails on the beach, go eco-snorkeling and kayaking and generally just veg out. A well-deserved break for both of us!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Host family at our place for a while. Not much snow on the ground so will probably hike a bit. Need to exercise to work off the last few weeks of travel eating, but against holiday meals it's tough.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 day off for Christmas
1 day off for New Years

I"m really fucking burnt out.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna work on Christmas but I have today and thursday off, I guess, and get time and a half on Christmas.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
At my old company, they shut down for two weeks over Christmas.

Now, I get a half day today with Christmas and New Year's Day off, and that's it. Womp Womp.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have four days off starting from today. Have worked six days a week (albeit not all 8 hour plus days) sometimes 7 for months now Got to though, broke as fuck. Meeting friends today, going to get obliterated

We could not afford more than a 3 night stay in Portugal in November last year for a holiday. Was a really relaxing time though. Would go again.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I took a month off in November for paternity leave, so other than taking Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, I'm working through the holidays.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Are you going to the Alentejo region? Try to go to Elvas if you can, I'll show you around if I have the time.

PM me if you are able.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm stuck spending it with my family.

My brother won't shut up and is just loud as fuck.

My dad is a conservative asshole.

My mom and dad consistently fight over everything.

My fiancee is in South Dakota and I'm not.

At least I get to spend it with my son and new niece, so there's that.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first Christmas in nine years without the missus, as she moves here to Lisbon next week. I'll be spending Christmas Eve at the pub. Probably get absolutely trashed. Then New Years we'll be going to the big shindig at Praço do Comércio. Last year it was New Years at the Arc in Paris. Love big outdoor celebrations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have seen so many ads on the street and on the radio for Batman V Superman. What year is this? What the hell is going on in Lisbon? This is day one and its already twilight zone shit

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen so many ads on the street and on the radio for Batman V Superman. What year is this? What the hell is going on in Lisbon? This is day one and its already twilight zone shit

It's just a movie they're showing in the big theater. That's all lol. I was a little taken aback seeing the ads too.

Beetroot

Apr 30, 2018
If you come to Guimarães, 30 miles off Porto send a message and I'll give you some tips about where to eat and what to see in the first capital of Portugal

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve because my partner and I weren't working and my mother in law is German so that's the tradition. Having a quiet lunch today before starting 4 night shifts tonight.

Dec 13, 2018
Just landed in Lisbon. Will be here until the 11th of January. Gonna hit all the major cities. Drink some Porto, Duoro wine, drink Beirao, eat pastel de nata, dance the new years in. Gonna drink so much lol

Whats everyone's holiday plans?

I just got back yesterday from

6 days in Lisbon
7 days in Paris
4 days in Barcelona

It was great, saw el Classico in Barcelona and randomly caught the national play at el campo Pequeno in Lisbon... suggest looking for events in that venue

Back in the states, Going to visit my parents and grandparents and hit Disney before heading home after New Years.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm visiting my brother and his family in Australia so 10 days in Adelaide and 20 days in Port Douglas are how I'm spending the holidays.
Could definitely be worse!

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This is Brazillian, but I wonder if Portugal has anything as festively elaborate as a Star Wars Carnaval float.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Only got a few days off once I had a stress-induced breakdown at work after doing two weeks of 12-hour shifts covering three different positions because we can't find anyone to hire. Thought I'd been fired after blowing up at the GM but they're letting me come back on Thursday.

US versus Euro work culture, everyone! Merry Christmas?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Staycation with the wife and dogs for the next week, looking forward to relaxing and playing games, seeing some movies and otherwise not stressing about anything. Not a fan of traveling during the holidays, too crazy

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome to Portugal, hope you enjoy it.

When you come to Porto, make sure to eat a francesinha. Try bufet fase. If you want to eat some of the best hotdogs anywhere in the world, go to Gazela. Try to go at lunch because they tend to close early.

Also, in the downtown area, make sure to visit Livraria Lello. Its one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world. You have to pay like 3 euros to get in, but if you buy a book they will deduct the price by that amount.

Also in that area, its a really good place to drink and party at night. Lots of bars with all kinds of music available. If it doesnt rain, there should be a fuckton of people in those streets at night.

If you like art, check Serralves out.

OP
OP
Masoyama

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, in the EU, four weeks vacation is mandatory for the most parts

I live in the US though, we just get tons of days off at work.
Welcome to Portugal, hope you enjoy it.

When you come to Porto, make sure to eat a francesinha. Try bufet fase. If you want to eat some of the best hotdogs anywhere in the world, go to Gazela. Try to go at lunch because they tend to close early.

Also, in the downtown area, make sure to visit Livraria Lello. Its one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world. You have to pay like 3 euros to get in, but if you buy a book they will deduct the price by that amount.

Also in that area, its a really good place to drink and party at night. Lots of bars with all kinds of music available. If it doesnt rain, there should be a fuckton of people in those streets at night.

If you like art, check Serralves out.

Thanks! Not the first time in Portugal but its my first time that I will visit Porto, so this really helps out. My girlfriend is Portuguese and she also never went to Porto

What's the weather like?

its nice. I live in upstate NY so anything above 50 feels absolutely amazing this time of year.