• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 21, 2018
good game but its basically a ubisoft open world clone with robot dinosaurs. if you're not into ubi games might as well just move onto something else

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Play it on easy and just enjoy the story (it's almost so bad it's good). The world and the sidequests are boring, so don't bother.
What? I found the story, as in what led to the game world being in the state it is, to be fantastic. Yes, the living characters and present state are next to undeveloped, but that's hardly a bad story.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Can you ask me the game falls short of great in every aspect except the graphics.

Damn those graphics. Excuse me.

Anyhow, this makes for a very good game, but lacking brightness in any substantial way keeps it from being great. I don't think it's a great game. Then again, my friend liked it a lot even though he's pretty demanding of gameplay and general design.
Varied combat, cool backstory, and exceptional enemy design. Three aspects of HZD that are great at worst.

You haven't really experienced the game until you've heard and read most of the mission-related audio and text logs, and really explored the late-game "ruins" in the main quest. Just throwing that out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't play it on easy unless you really struggle.

The combat is the game's best feature, and you get lots of tools that work specifically to overcome the specific challenge of each creature type and encounter.

Playing on easy would rob a lot of the fun of working out the best way to beat each encounter.

I agree with this.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
it takes a while to get going.
There is alot of hoarding resources. Do i need it all? Also the stealth feels pretty limited. So can i go full Brave and is that oke for later in the game? Can i focus more on main quests and some sidequests or do i miss some cool stuff?
I ignored them but always felt like I was running low on healing items haha. There aren't enough sidequests to be overwhelmed IMO. However, a lot of them give way to side stories that are very interesting, like the Hunters questline. If by the time you get to Meridian it still isn't clicking, move on. Not all games are for everyone and it's best to walk away than force yourself through something you dislike
good game but its basically a ubisoft open world clone with robot dinosaurs. if you're not into ubi games might as well just move onto something else
ah the classic "I never played it" comment, I thought they extinguished after the game came out. A nostalgic feeling

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pariah I agree with you.

Honestly, I had trouble at the beginning too. But I just focused the main quest and when I opened it I really found enjoyment in the exploration. Which then to me enjoying the robot combat, then to the cauldrons then side quests. I ended up Platinum the game.

If you don't like it after it opens up then nothing will change. Move on.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
ah the classic "I never played it" comment, I thought they extinguished after the game came out. A nostalgic feeling
No, they're absolutely right in that the open world is very shallow and has a lot of busy work on the map. It is very much in-line with older, shallower takes on the OW formula.

I completed it and collected all armour types.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the beginning of the game. Young Aloy and the proving. Now i am in the real open world part and its not really clicking. Feel alot the NPC's are the same or act the same. Do i really need to climb tallnecks to open the world abit?
There is alot of hoarding resources. Do i need it all? Also the stealth feels pretty limited. So can i go full Brave and is that oke for later in the game? Can i focus more on main quests and some sidequests or do i miss some cool stuff?
Anymore tips are welcome. Thanks.
Drop it, it doesnt get any better.

I played 12 hours of it and just dropped it like a bad habit.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
No, they're absolutely right in that the open world is very shallow and has a lot of busy work on the map. It is very much in-line with older, shallower takes on the OW formula. I completed it and collected all armour types.
I agree it can be shallow but Ubi style is all about having an overwhelming amount of sidequests nobody really cares much for. Horizon doesn't have THAT many sidequests, in fact, I remember it had surprisingly few

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it can be shallow but Ubi style is all about having an overwhelming amount of sidequests nobody really cares much for. Horizon doesn't have THAT many sidequests, in fact, I remember it had surprisingly few
Horizon has a lot of collectables, the open world is shallow, the side quest quality is average to low at best... the comparison definitely works imo.

Oct 28, 2017
Bristol, UK
Yeah as wonderful as the game is its opening really does it no favours, pretty weak and felt very handholdy and awkward. The game ended up burrowing into my psyche after it opened up a bit and was one of the first open world games in years I actually finished, the combat definitely pulled it through it gets stunningly addictive.

I'd echo other sentiments in the thread: only do the bits that excite you, the main story really kicks off and you won't miss out on any crazy gear by leaving some of the side missions if they're not grabbing you.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It didn't click for me either and it never. Combat is definitively the high point but there is some odd design choice (oftenly, you have scripted combat in very small area comparing the size of the machines).
At least I had fun watch hp sponge NPC "fighting" some machines.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the game gets good once you have a bunch of different weapons and ammo types.
The combat is great, with lots of ways to take down the robots. The weapon and enemy variety is way better than pretty much any other open world game.

It's a bit dull early on, where you rely on whistling and the stealth attack.

Stealth is always important, but when you get better weapons, you'll stop using the whistle/stealth kill and use stealth to line up a good opening shot (typically breaking one of the freeze/burn/shock components) or set up some traps. Or using stealth to take control of a robot and let chaos ensue.

It can be hard to tell which side quests are good or contribute to the story and which are just filler. The main quest story is great.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Avoid these.
horizon-zero-dawn-taking-on-a-terrifyingly-huge-bird-robot_4whj.jpg

Only thing in the entire game I hated.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to Easy and the game became immensely more fun. Also once you're out of the first area it really starts to open up.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
For anyone that says the melee is clunky; it's a game about archery and traps, as if you were a Hunter which Aloy essentially is.

I'm sure they'll improve melee & fights against humans in the 2nd one but this game really shines while fighting all of the mechs with nothing but a bow & traps.

The enemies won't be spongey if you are aiming for weak spots which every mech has with a bow instead of trying to wack them with melee. Easy is really not needed......sigh.

The immersion is even better if you have headphones with 3D audio.

Last edited:

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
This thread reminds me that I need to replay it since i upgraded to a Pro and 4KTV. And i have not finished the DLC.

I really enjoyed my time with this game. As much as I liked Aloy, the best part of the story was discovering what happened to the world. It definitely got better as the game went on. The first time you got to use one of the robots pieces against them was fantastic. I did not do too much of the side missions other than the cauldrons and the tall necks.

Great Game. Lots to improve on with the sequel, can not wait to see what Guerrilla do.

Theorry Just want to say how much I like your game posts. I do not contribute on them to much as they have tended to be on games i'm not playing (never had an xbox), but they really are good quality.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds me that I need to replay it since i upgraded to a Pro and 4KTV. And i have not finished the DLC.

I really enjoyed my time with this game. As much as I liked Aloy, the best part of the story was discovering what happened to the world. It definitely got better as the game went on. The first time you got to use one of the robots pieces against them was fantastic. I did not do too much of the side missions other than the cauldrons and the tall necks.

Great Game. Lots to improve on with the sequel, can not wait to see what Guerrilla do.

Theorry Just want to say how much I like your game posts. I do not contribute on them to much as they have tended to be on games i'm not playing (never had an xbox), but they really are good quality.
Thanks. Appreciate it. :)

-

Little update. Just followed the main stuff for now. Just entered Meridian and its starting to click more. Any good traps to focus on?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Varied combat, cool backstory, and exceptional enemy design. Three aspects of HZD that are great at worst.

You haven't really experienced the game until you've heard and read most of the mission-related audio and text logs, and really explored the late-game "ruins" in the main quest. Just throwing that out there.

That may be good advice. I've been intending to pick it back up and push through, if only cuz I was looking forward to it so much before it came out. There might still be enough game left to change my mind. And you're right about the enemy designs being great. I forgot about that part.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Don't worry too much about upgrades until you've got the map unlocked, and really take the time to feel comfortable with the bow.

Air pressure arrows are both insanely fun and useful.

Also, you probably should use bombs and traps more than you are already doing.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I enjoyed the beginning of the game. Young Aloy and the proving. Now i am in the real open world part and its not really clicking. Feel alot the NPC's are the same or act the same. Do i really need to climb tallnecks to open the world abit?
Anymore tips are welcome. Thanks.
That's fair, I felt as though in terms of open world design, HZD falls victim to the same tropes we've become accustomed to with the genre. Where it shines is the combat and enemy design (machines). It has an intriguing story as well imo, If you find that neither the story nor combat are hooking you in about 10 hrs in or so, id move on.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry too much about upgrades until you've got the map unlocked, and really take the time to feel comfortable with the bow.

Air pressure arrows are both insanely fun and useful.

Also, you probably should use bombs and traps more than you are already doing.
Yeah i probably should. The bow is oke atm. Still using normal arrow and fire. But they get abit "boring" now.

Nov 21, 2018
it takes a while to get going.

I ignored them but always felt like I was running low on healing items haha. There aren't enough sidequests to be overwhelmed IMO. However, a lot of them give way to side stories that are very interesting, like the Hunters questline. If by the time you get to Meridian it still isn't clicking, move on. Not all games are for everyone and it's best to walk away than force yourself through something you dislike

Except I played and beat horizon. did all the quest and errands. you're making assumptions I haven't played it because i didn't say somethig you like about it is some fanboy stuff honestly

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
The enemies won't be spongey if you are aiming for weak spots which every mech has with a bow instead of trying to wack them with melee. Easy is really not needed......sigh.
I always aimed for weak spots but at some point all of them are gone or it still took a while to destroy the machines. I would agree with the posters that say the enemy's at least the larger ones are a bit spongey.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I know it's a stereotype, but there is the cliche of the hardcore Witcher 3 fan playing a game like this and saying, "OK, Horizon Zero Dawn... impress me." Which is usually a surefire way to end up underwhelmed.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Except I played and beat horizon. did all the quest and errands. you're making assumptions I haven't played it because i didn't say somethig you like about it is some fanboy stuff honestly
we're both making assumptions now. So let's just agree to disagree, sorry for assuming you were a hater who didn't play, but I am most definitely not a Horizon fanboy, even if I adored the creatures design

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Is this referring to me?

Like I said, it's a stereotype and a cliche. But people who fit that profile do exist. People who just looooooved Witcher 3 soooooooo much that no other open world RPG will ever be able to please them. Are you one of them? I have no idea. But obviously it was your avatar that brought it to mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, it's a stereotype and a cliche. But people who fit that profile do exist. Are you one of them? I have no idea. But obviously it was your avatar that brought it to mind.
I enjoyed Witcher 3 and think its one of the best games this gen (it has some issues also. But hadnt that game in mind when starting this one tho.

Nov 21, 2018
we're both making assumptions now. So let's just agree to disagree, sorry for assuming you were a hater who didn't play, but I am most definitely not a Horizon fanboy, even if I adored the creatures design
lol I guess we are. All is well misunderstandings happen. Horizon is my second favorite 1st party game on ps4 behind ratchet and clank

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of found this game to be utterly mediocre and frustrating (my friend set it on the hardest difficulty and I didn't realize it until the last mission), but even despite my frustrations with combat, I don't think I would ever want to go back for a replay, having to sit through such uninteresting dialogue is just unappealing. Outside of the cities, big tank bosses, and human enemies, the environmental art direction and enemy design was superb.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, I felt as though in terms of open world design, HZD falls victim to the same tropes we've become accustomed to with the genre. Where it shines is the combat and enemy design (machines). It has an intriguing story as well imo, If you find that neither the story nor combat are hooking you in about 10 hrs in or so, id move on.

I finished the game in 12 hours đź‘€

edit: That's a lie my end save file is 21 hours.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The one range is a great place to grind for fuel. The tripwire weapon will be your friend, you can practically issue like a gun. Just shoot and setup right in front of big enemies.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get the slowmo on aim+jump ability. Spam jump constantly. Welcome to the rest of the game.

Abuse Strike from Above wherever possible. If your fight happens near a small rock, you can probably jump from that rock and do takedowns on small to medium sized monsters over and over. Abuse the combo of freeze->rattler. It's vicious on anything with a health bar.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Lot of good suggestions already so I'll just echo combat with robots is the golden nugget of this game. If that's not fun to you then it might not be for you. I personally enjoyed running around the natural environments, but I realize that's not everyone's jam.

This really was a 7/10 game but it was my GOTG. Been thinking about writing a thread on it, but there's so many HZD threads already lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, tips! Ropecaster is the only way to defeat higher level creatures IMO. Don't sleep on it. Also, the tripcaster is a great weapon if you have the patience to setup for your fight.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
HZD is my biggest disappointment of this gen which ironically coincides with Killzone 2 being my biggest disappointment of last gen.

Felt extremely overrated for me - game play wise it has an extremely familiar feeling of the standard Ubi open world template (or Tomb Raider).

Big fan of the aesthetic and visuals but the game itself just felt so uninspired. Hopefully it clicks for you OP, but there's a good chance it just isn't for you! I don't think it's aged well given the open world games that've come after.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was the same for me, OP. I tried and tried to get into it, mainly because both friends and people online couldn't stop raving about it, but there was just something about it that made me consistently think "meh". I just didn't find it fun or compelling.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lot of good suggestions already so I'll just echo combat with robots is the golden nugget of this game. If that's not fun to you then it might not be for you. I personally enjoyed running around the natural environments, but I realize that's not everyone's jam.

This really was a 7/10 game but it was my GOTG. Been thinking about writing a thread on it, but there's so many HZD threads already lol
Yes the combat with robots is atm the most fun. Al tough some setpieces where the game puts you in a small arena with a big enemy is less enjoyable tho. But just came across one wich had a big shield and was fun to duel it and figuring out how it best kill it.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Easiest difficulty, ignore any sidequest you think sounds boring, and if you find yourself thinking the game's too long, bow out, because it won't prove you wrong.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Yes the combat with robots is atm the most fun. Al tough some setpieces where the game puts you in a small arena with a big enemy is less enjoyable tho. But just came across one wich had a big shield and was fun to duel it and figuring out how it best kill it.
Then going west will indeed be your friend. You'll not only face more varieties of robots but they'll be close enough (or roaming) and you can find some rather dynamic or interesting fights.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine it's just a far cry game mixed with a mass effect light rpg. I personally didn't enjoy traversing the world but I liked the story.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I guess we are. All is well misunderstandings happen. Horizon is my second favorite 1st party game on ps4 behind ratchet and clank
Yep. It's my favourite new IP this gen. Great story, incredible combat system, awesome soundtrack and beautiful graphics. It's a fantastic game and I can't wait to see how Horizon 2 will look on the PS5. Gonna be mindblowing :)

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like it, you don't like it. Never clicked with me either- too much stealth and melee felt clunky. I felt it was an overrated game.

Naw, it was rated as people saw it. You just happen to not be one of those who didn't like it as much as others, but no one is giving it a wrong rating on their own opinion.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say try to follow the main Story and have fun with the machines you meet along the way, even the stronger ones.

The best part of the game is the interaction with the machines (not the humans unfortunately). Finding new machines is also fun, some can get really tricky to beat, but also very satisfying once you do it.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

I am another one of those who couldn't finish. Maybe I put it down for too long and forgot how to fight when I came back to it. But I'm pretty far into the game I think, past Meridian in what looks to be approaching the final area. I can't remember what quest I was on but I just fought a corrupter in the snow inside a cultist outpost but I can barely remember what's happening in the story. Something about Alloy looking like her mother...

Anyway, I feel like I've seen most of what the game has to offer in terms of fresh locations and enemies, and while it's the most beautiful game I've ever laid eyes on I don't know if I can continue. How far away from the end am I, and should I bother to push forward at this point?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stick with it. It starts a bit slow, but once things open up and you start experimenting with and upgrading the different weapons etc, combat really opens up. Just make sure you're not focusing on melee, and instead use trip cast, traps, stealth, slingshot, tear blast arrows etc.

Also, I recommend playing it on Hard instead of Normal. Hard is a great balance between being challenging, but not too frustrating. Enough that you have to really think and plan how you engage the bigger enemies or groups, and to where every key encounter feels like a mini boss of sorts taking on an almost Bloodborne light esque feel, only long range and stealth focused instead of melee.