• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
Get your paper straight first and foremost. I was 31 when I had my first kid. My friends and family members were all in their 30's when they started their families as well. It's usually better to wait until you're financially stable before having kids. It makes everything much easier.

It sounds like you have some deeper things going on. Get your head right first. Then take command of your financial situation and stop blaming "the economy." You're too young for that.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I'm 39 and my youngest kid is 1 year old, i had my first one at 26, second at 31. You have plenty of time.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I had my kids at 34 and 36. At 42 I have plenty of energy, maybe a little less than when I was younger, but still plenty enough for my kids.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
29 and tired
29 to old to get kids
To poor to have a girlfriend..

What is this? You really need to work on your self esteem. Look for a better job. And start working out!!! ( because iam 100% sure you get home and sink into your bed feeling like everything is against you). You dont need a gym if you cant afford it. Enough ways to do it at home and outside. When you start to see your body changing your mindset will change too.

Nothing will change your situation if you act like it cant change. Your mindset is your biggest enemy right now and you have to beat that first.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
My parents had me when they were ~34-35, had a perfectly normal childhood with lots of playtime etc. 29 ain't a thing OP.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm 29 as well and very few of my peers have had children at this point. My parents had me when they were in their late thirties and I turned out fine. Age doesn't really matter much. Hell if you ask me, twenties are too young for most people to be raising children.

From what you're posted it seems to me like you're projecting your own insecurities and experiences with your parents rather than thinking about things logically. From one poor 29 year old to another, you need a therapist or someone to talk this stuff out with.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
OP I had my first of 3 children at 29. You aren't too old at all. Just keeping applying for better jobs and believe in yourself. Go to those interviews with confidence.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I am now about the same age my parents were when they had me.
Due to having me late, they were never able to play with me/ be there for me enough. I always thought then that you can't really have kids late.
So for me, I'm past the point where I'd ever consider having a child.

I was hoping to have a little girl.

My father was able to afford a house through working in a factory at my age, and my mother was finishing her degree.
I have always been so poor that I've never really even approached a girl. The few times I've asked a girl out, they eventually turned me down when they realized how poor I am.

So I've never been in a position to really even have a relationship. I don't want to blame myself. I want to blame the economy. I started working in 2008.

My parents told me I couldn't go to school unless I could afford it, and I couldn't, so I didn't start college until a decade later.
Now I am intensely tired from a decade of being abused at blue-collar jobs.
I have found that people will take out their pain on you, and delight in making others suffer.

I wonder today how much choice I had? I have been through so much pain that I can't forget yet at the same time there's nothing to gain from bringing it up.

I wish there were more sources and stories of people in the same boat due to the economy/starting poor.

I also have found that the successful people I meet in life would have me accept full responsibility for my predicament. Their insistence is that pain will motivate me to pull themselves up by the bootstraps as they did. I find that when I try to tell myself it was all my fault, that I had choices... It kills me. I never once felt like I had a choice. I had only life or death options. When the choice is life or death, what choice do you have?

I also found that most successful people will fight very hard to deny they received help, that they benefitted from being of a different generation, and that they were just lucky. They do this as it aggrandizes them, and then when they see you fail, they feel some sort of pleasure. They remove all uniqueness of experience so they can compare themselves to you 1:1, then when you fail, they feel that their success is further established by being better than someone. I have noticed this sadistic philosophy more than once among the successful people I've met. The problem is, they're the only optimistic people. Everyone that surrounds me in my blue-collar life has no hope.
You don't have any fault for your economic or social situation friend i hope many blessings come to your life.
And you say the truth , success doesn't come alone, they are trying to give all the credit to themselves without considering all the blessings , education and opportunities they were given that others were not so fortunate, they are being selfish.let them be and don't listen.
Though they are right in one thing, very important, you absolutely need to, try, day by day, to be optimistic! Give yourself some credit, you are not just pain, you are not just hardship, you work hard, you don't give up. Don't put all your happiness in a future child or relationship, it may happen, it may not.if it does you will give your child all love and care that you can, if it doesn't well you know through experience the hardships that goes with raising a family, you wish that happiness to others ,but you might find your own out there. Work on improving your relationships, with your coworkers, with your family, in your church, with your friends.maybe adopt a loyal friend if you think it may help you, learn to identify what relationships are healthy.there is hope , don't let fear take hold of you and this will bring change , and opportunities will arise with good relationships one day.i wish you the best friend

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 35 would be my limit. I had my first at 20. I can't honestly see myself being as fun or engaged with my kid at 40. That's just me though

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You are hilarious OP. I hope you can get your mind right.

The only thing keeping you from having a child is you. Yes, being poor sucks but you can do it and play with your child. I would say being poor with kids may be more difficult than being mid-30's with kids. Your energy will come from seeing their faces light up when you play together and seeing them succeed. The money can be more difficult, IMO.

Also, having a family or support group of friends will be key if you are super poor.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Unfortunately due to being unable to afford education previously I'm sort of trapped.
If I were to apply for another entry level job I would significantly cut my pay.
They are also being extremely inflexible in allowing me to attend college.
Should I fail due to the expectations they heap on me at my work, due in part to me experience,they expect me to become a sous chef.

This industry does it's best to trap people with very incremental pay increases.

Sounds like you might be better off taking a pay cut now if your future prospects are better, instead of being trapped in the cycle.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 29, but I saw firsthand how I suffered in being raised by thirty year old parents. I don't want to have a kid that will suffer due to my always being tired.
Additionally, it's not realistic due to how poor I still am. I'm like a 20 year old poor college student at 29.
Yesterday my boss offered me chicken scraps to take home due to my poverty.

30 doesn't make you automatically old and incapable of doing things. Your parents don't define the age group of human beings. You're still young enough.

Your self loathing won't help you get to where you want to be though. Get some professional help if you can afford it.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
What stupid nonsense. My son is 1 year old and I am 42. If you are able to walk yourself you are not too old.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
"haha what an idiot" "get help op you attention seeker!!!" "just think positive moron" "you just want sympathy"

ignoring the thread topic entirely, this is NOT how you talk to someone who is clearly experiencing depression. seriously, what the fuck, era? do you people think that this doesn't count as bullying just because it's the internet?

op, the way you phrase things and seem to experience things indicates to me that you would benefit greatly from talking to a mental health professional. i know that money is tight for you, but please go to your doctor and talk about this. for example, in australia, you can get up to 12 sessions with a psychologist free a year. good luck and please try not to take the responses in this thread to heart.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just turned 28 and feel like I'm way too young for a kid. I wouldn't plan on having one before 35.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Antagonizing other users in a sensitive thread
You are delusional, get help. I know people who had kids in their 50s

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you can definitely still have kids. 30 is a pretty good age to have kids. As someone of similar age and with a similar limited relationship history, I get that feeling. But it's definitely not impossible.

Sep 28, 2018
I'm 29, but I saw firsthand how I suffered in being raised by thirty year old parents. I don't want to have a kid that will suffer due to my always being tired.
Additionally, it's not realistic due to how poor I still am. I'm like a 20 year old poor college student at 29.

Bro... lol. I don't know where you come from but where I come from nobody has kids until they're in their mid 30's. I'm 32 this year - no kids. Most of my friends are in their mid 30's and a total of none have kids yet... Sure, a couple of them are making plans but the majority aren't even thinking about it.

My mum had me at 40 years old if anything it has kept her young, she's in her early 70's and people mistake her for the late 50's.

Mate, chill...

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm 43 and have an 18 month old. Planned it all out pretty much the way I intended.... I work out 5 days a week pretty sure I can play with a kid.
My dad was 50 when my sister was born he said it was awesome being retired when she was in high school.
He now plays with my daughter every time she visits , he's 83.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I was expecting the OP to be 55+ but hes 29, in what world is 29 too old?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think 29 is old??? Come on I had my boy at 36 and my girl at 41. I am 47 now.

Nowadays it is common to have kids later on in life, and still have the energy if you put effort on it.

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure nowadays people don't actually settle down and start having a family until they are in there 30s.

I had a kid when I was 22 and I find it difficult to relate with other parents that have kids the same age because they are usually at least a decade older than me.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Haha 29 and and too old. A lot of people are waiting until after 30 now.

I'm 30 and having a kid in a month. Well my wife is but I will be there.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining
What a joke of a thread.

Edit: I was warned for my statement, apparently I should've not used the word "thread" or told you to get therapy.

I will add that I am in my mid-30s and put my baby to bed a few hours ago and somehow survived. OP, you are not too old and may have a warped perspective on aging if you think people in their 30s and 40s are too decrepit to raise children. Get therapy.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I had baby 1 at 32. We're shooting for baby 2 now so I'll be 34 if all goes well. My parents were in their early thirties when they had me and they did all right. I know plenty of people who have had kids later than me. I honestly think you have time.

Cbrun44

29??? Life doesn't truly start revving up until you hit your 30's... I had my first kid at 29 and I felt extremely young and unprepared. But in reality everything was great.

The person you are at 29 will not be the person you are in just a few years. This is the truth.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Recalibrate what you think are acceptable ages and do what you want. I'm the youngest of four and we had our first when we were older than my parents when they had me. My wife was born when her mom was 19, my mom had me in her 30s. My step father in law is only 12 years older than me. There's a bigger gap in age between his biological daughter and me. Life can get weird and who gives a fuck?

Oct 30, 2017

Dude. I'm the same age and don't think I'll be having kids for another 5 years. You'll be fine buddy.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
29? Um......what? I've had one friend....one, that had kids in his 20s. Everyone else I know started having a family in their 30s. And you know what? They're all doing just fine.

My wife and I decided not to have kids. It just didn't fit in to our lifestyle which has being dominated by moving around to different countries for work. We're perfectly happy.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The very last thing you should be worried about is a child right now.

And you're not even close to being too old to have one. Your mental state is more the problem here, get some help dude.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
You are hilarious OP. I hope you can get your mind right.

The only thing keeping you from having a child is you. Yes, being poor sucks but you can do it and play with your child. I would say being poor with kids may be more difficult than being mid-30's with kids. Your energy will come from seeing their faces light up when you play together and seeing them succeed. The money can be more difficult, IMO.

Also, having a family or support group of friends will be key if you are super poor.

Depression doesn't seem hilarious to me.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
You blame money for women not dating you?

Poor people date and fk all the time. It's ok to not wanna have children when you're not making enough money for it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.