• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Ive seen some stuff on youtube but I want to known Era's opinion so i can make a truly informed decision. Currently I have the composite cable that came with it and that is going in the bin soon, it was really terrible. Help me please.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Component cable. And if your TV doesn't support it, use an upscaler. On RetroRGB you'll find all kinds of information

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Definitely use component cables - short of an upscaling box that will give you the best chance.

S-video would also be better than composite in a pinch, though I doubt any newer TVs have that port.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Ive seen some stuff on youtube but I want to known Era's opinion so i can make a truly informed decision. Currently I have the composite cable that came with it and that is going in the bin soon, it was really terrible. Help me please.
They are in the middle of the current preorder's shipment, so there should be a new preorder phase in a few weeks. 50 pounds and gets the job beatifully done with you just providing an HDMI cable.

Sony PlayStation HD RAD2X 480p cable

If you are in a hurry, just pick on of these which are ain stock (but costlier, and you need to provide the cables, still).

Home | RetroTINK LLC

RetroTINK helps connect retro consoles to modern displays and more. Our line of products converts legacy video formats with high quality and minimal visual distortion for the most authentic experience.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked (a few years ago) you're in for an expensive ride trying to get older games to look good on modern screens.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
1) Get some PS2 component cables
2) Test it with your TV to see how it looks and whether there is bad lag using component
3) If it's bad, get a RetroTINK 2X Classic or Pro to do the analog to digital conversion

vmu_beep

Nov 23, 2019
Getting 480i to look good on a modern TV is a heckuva project. Basically you'll want to get decent Component cables and then something that can "deinterlace" the video into something progressive scan. Mike Chi has an upcoming simple to use scaler called the "Retrotink 5X" that is getting an update specifically for 480i signals like the PS2.

tl;dr;
Buy these cables and a Retrotink 5X when it comes out soon, or a 2X now which will also be OK but not as great.
* https://www.amazon.com/HD-Retrovision-PlayStation-Premium-Component/dp/B07H3F94ZN?ref_=ast_sto_dp
* https://www.retrotink.com

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
The Framemeister upscaler is arguably best for 480i content which is the majority of the PS2 library (assuming an extra frame or so of lag isn't a problem for you), but I think the device is quite expensive now since it is out-of-print.

480i content with the OSSC isn't it's strong suit, but it might be good enough for you. Your best cheap option is to go with the Retro Tink 2X, but only you can say if the result is good enough for you.

Look up the PlayStation 2 episode on YouTube by My Life in Gaming for more info.

Also, the creators of the PS1Digital are working on a PS2Digital mod which I'm sure will have motion-adaptive deinterlacing which should be really nice. Then there is the Retro Tink 5X which isn't out yet, but maybe it will work great for PS2 games when it does release.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I use my slim with a component cable and it looks pretty good. Don't forget that for game that supports it to set it to 16:9
playing Ace Combat 4 is a treat

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I have an upscaler (Framemeister) and the results are absolutely outstanding. My understanding is that these things have only gotten better over time (and there are a lot of different players in the game offering top quality experiences), so if you have the cash, I would definitely pick an upscaler up (though probably not a Framemeister, as they are out of date at this point).

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring; Attempted Thread-Derail
1) Walk into any local electronics retailer and buy a readily available PS5.
2) Hook up your shiny new PS5 and enjoy the PS2 library via backwards compatibility.

Hang on, I'm getting a message from my producers...

OP
OP
prodyg

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 component cables will also work, they are the exact same cable. $10 used at Gamestop

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I hooked up my PS2 with a component cable to one of my HDTVs....and some of my PS1 games show up as a black screen. It has no clue what to do with the signal.

Oct 27, 2017
There's an entire thread dedicated to this topic:

www.resetera.com

Retro AV Thread |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and More

WORK IN PROGRESS Welcome to the Retro AV thread, here to help you get the best picture quality out of your retro consoles. Using a CRT? A framemeister to a modern LCD? Or maybe an OSSC? We'll do our best to help you get the best image quality out of how ever you play your classic systems...

OP
OP
prodyg

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
I hooked up my PS2 with a component cable to one of my HDTVs....and some of my PS1 games show up as a black screen. It has no clue what to do with the signal.
This is what Im worried about with the component cables, from what I understand some TVs can do 240p over component and thats what causes the black screen for some games. I just want a set up where I dont have to worry about things like that when im ready to play.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is what Im worried about with the component cables, from what I understand some TVs can do 240p over component and thats what causes the black screen for some games. I just want a set up where I dont have to worry about things like that when im ready to play.
Retrotink 5x and GBS-C should not only display it fine (which most upscalers do), but both should also be able to display it without losing sync when the game changes resolutions (ie Chrono Cross)

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct. They can't do 240p which is the issue.

OP
OP
prodyg

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Ok everyone, thanks for all the great input. Based on what I've read, the best course of action is to buy the HD retrovision component cables, and use those until the retrotink 5x comes out? Hopefully its not too expensive.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Isn't there a new Retrotink 2x Pro or something that can do 240p/480i/480p?

Edit: Ahh, it's the Multiformat that's new. It supports passing through 480p.

Product Page | RetroTINK

Still, I think it would be best to wait for upscaling from Retrotink 5x.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
"Good" is subjective, but ps2 looks like shit on modern TVs no matter what imo. Even games that support 480p. Hideous. I've tried every solution that exists. It's unfortunate!

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
"Good" is subjective, but ps2 looks like shit on modern TVs no matter what imo. Even games that support 480p. Hideous. I've tried every solution that exists. It's unfortunate!
Yeah, the video signal out of the PS2 is often noisy, and the fact that MANY game actually run at 512x448i (and not at full SD res) doesn't help.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
For ps2 I use component cables and a retrotink 2X. Very happy with the results.

You can get an affordable S-Video cable from them for all your snes/n64/gamecube. Hooking up a Genesis takes a pricey RGB cable.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Jealous - Slim is arguably Sony's best looking console. Just perfect dimensions:

s-l600.jpg

hard to come by or are they still fairly obtainable these days?

Sell the slim and buy a 1st gen fat PS3.
As awesome as the launch phat PS3s were, this is not great advice - they have almost all likely been repaired at this point. I've had to repair my launch unit twice for YLOD, so I don't even use it anymore (also have a slim). And even if you get one mint, they have a really high failure rate. I think if the goal is playing PS2 games, a dedicated PS2 is the way to go.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
another vote for a crt if you have the room. I bought 2 Sony Trinitrons at my local thrift store for 9 cents apiece. PS2 looks great on it with component cables.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I've purchased several upcoverting boxes and dongles for my PS2 slim and none of them look good enough to make the games playable on a 4K TV. I just gave up and went the PC emulation route.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Jealous - Slim is arguably Sony's best looking console. Just perfect dimensions:

s-l600.jpg

hard to come by or are they still fairly obtainable these days?

As awesome as the launch phat PS3s were, this is not great advice - they have almost all likely been repaired at this point. I've had to repair my launch unit twice for YLOD, so I don't even use it anymore (also have a slim). And even if you get one mint, they have a really high failure rate. I think if the goal is playing PS2 games, a dedicated PS2 is the way to go.

Thats fair but their are still working units out there. I just can't deal with the quality of the OG PS2 on HDTVs....it totally kills the experience for me. I'd much prefer using the PS3 with HDMI or emulating the games on PC.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for this. Do you know when it is supposed to come out by any chance?

The latest update was that the RT5x was being manufactured, so hopefully soon! I know I want two.

It's also worth noting that sometime this year, we are likely to get a PS2digital (full HDMI) solution, so that will be beautiful when it comes!

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I just want a decent wireless controller. why 8bitdo or one of the other major brands don't at least have a Bluetooth adapter is fucking stupid.

Oct 27, 2017

I really don't agree. With component cables and TV sharpness lowered to 3/10 (the average TV sharpness just makes things look a lot worse than they are) it looks good enough. I am playing LOTR:The Two Towers and i never thought:"This looks like shit".

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The latest update was that the RT5x was being manufactured, so hopefully soon! I know I want two.

It's also worth noting that sometime this year, we are likely to get a PS2digital (full HDMI) solution, so that will be beautiful when it comes!
Yeah PS2HDMI will be interesting to see, I agree. But probably not an easy install again for someone who can't solder. Thanks for the info, wasn't really upto date with the RT5x.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't agree. With component cables and TV sharpness lowered to 3/10 (the average TV sharpness just makes things look a lot worse than they are) it looks good enough. I am playing LOTR:The Two Towers and i never thought:"This looks like shit".

hence the word "subjective" :p one mans trash signal is the next mans "this is fine" :p

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a photo I took of my PS2 slim running on my 4K Samsung using the Sony component leads. Tbh I was surprised at how well it came out. I have CRTs around so I probably wouldn't buy an upscaler box thingy myself but for casual play sessions I'm perfectly happy with this and I don't throw the controller on the floor crying "but where's the SCANLINES" to myself all hunched up in a ball.
image.jpg