• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
DQB1 is my #3 favorite single player switch game after XC2 and Botw. It even beats out SM Odyssey and Dark Souls I started out with the demo for the first game last year in feb, got hooked and put over 3 hrs in and thrn bought the game a week after.
I didn't youch the free build mode even, but spent over 80hrs on the story mode for all 4 chapters.
To this day DQB1 is the meatiest demo I've played and better than the DQB2 demo. You actually get to build and defend your town from the get go and play maybe a quarter of chapter 1?

DQB2 demo is alright. You start off on a ship and get to the island and build a room and it ends shortly after. It's good for a demo, but a little bare compared to the first one. Still a solid game that I will definitely be buying

Will be interesting to see how the online co op will be for #2.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Cool. I'll have to check it out. I wanted to like DQB1 but it just felt lifeless. Which is a shame because Terraria/Starbound have shown how to do a fun "narrative' Minecraft and Minecraft has become very goal and exploration oriented.

Semi-unrelated: I vaguely recall reading that the DQB1 protagonist was the hero from an early DQ if you got the bad ending? That still a thing? Or was this just something fans latched on to that I absorbed via osmosis on Nintendo boards?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Cool. I'll have to check it out. I wanted to like DQB1 but it just felt lifeless. Which is a shame because Terraria/Starbound have shown how to do a fun "narrative' Minecraft and Minecraft has become very goal and exploration oriented.

Semi-unrelated: I vaguely recall reading that the DQB1 protagonist was the hero from an early DQ if you got the bad ending? That still a thing? Or was this just something fans latched on to that I absorbed via osmosis on Nintendo boards?
Close but not quite.

Dragon Quest Builders 1 is indeed set in the aftermath of Dragon Quest 1's bad ending, where the hero accepts Dragonlord's "join me and I will give you half of the world" offer.

The Builder you play as is not the hero who made that choice, though. That hero appears in the game in a different role. The Builder is a different descendant of Erdrick who didn't inherit a Hero's strength.

Oct 27, 2017
Same OP, passed on 1 as builders weren't my thing but tried this demo and was pleasantly surprised. The $60 price is hard to swallow though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Split screen would have been amazing.

Story starts in the aftermath of Dragon Quest 2. You're a builder from the town of Cantlin who was abducted by survivors from the DQ2 villain's army. You wake up on their ship, get some tutorials, then the ship sinks. You awaken on a deserted island, and encounter your new best friend: a nice guy who has no memories, but happens to share the same name as the final boss of DQ2. Some things happen, and the protagonists decide to build a new home for themselves on this island. Demo ends right as they decide to go to another island to get materials and help for the project.

A nice guy who suggests cold-blooded murder a few times... :D

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Pretty impressed that the resolution seems to stay native in handheld mode, that's incredibly important for me.

But holy shit does the fps drop to like 5 frames or so in bird's-eye view.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put like 20 hours into the first game. It was ok, but I got bored rather quickly and the music sometimes drove ma absolutely nuts.

Like it does in every DQ game haha.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Demo have any fishing in it? I cant tell if the fishing stuff is just part of the season pass, or if its actually in the game and the season pass stuff is just extras.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Thought dqb2 was 30fps on switch for both handheld and docked and the only 60fps is dqb1 in docked?
Both games run at an unlocked framerate. DQ2 feels much better in my opinion and the resolution in DQB2 in handheld mode looks really good, so I sometimes I feel like it's even higher than 720p.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Demo have any fishing in it? I cant tell if the fishing stuff is just part of the season pass, or if its actually in the game and the season pass stuff is just extras.
No fishing in the demo. I didn't see any rods or anything to fish with and didn't see any fish in the bodies of water I swam in.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Is the sequel considered an improvement or should I just check out the first one and get it cheaper?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I heard reports the performance can get pretty bad on the Switch version compared to the first one.

Gonna wait a few months and hope for a patch.

Sadly I don't think a patch will come. The game has been out since December in Japan, I can't imagine they will patch performance now if they haven't in the past 6 months.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
the demo's out now!? I loved the hell out of the first one. brb gonna go trap some villagers in underground mazes...

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they put a storage chest in the demo. I gathered a lot of stuff and had to keep a spot in the corner of the bedroom where I had to discard items to get them again later.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed the demo of the first until it basically dumped you in another area and said do all that busywork again. Have they remedied that at all here?

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game one big seamless story mode or is it like the first game where it was split into chapters and with each chapter you'd have to start again with all your resources and home area and build from scratch each time?

I hated that about the first game dunno why that wasn't even mentioned anywhere so I ended up just not going far into it when I found out I couldnt create and customise and explore as it's all gonna be taken away from me in the next chapter.

I also didn't like the timed trophies on the PS4 Version.

Does this game have any of that?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Same OP, passed on 1 as builders weren't my thing but tried this demo and was pleasantly surprised. The $60 price is hard to swallow though.
You can always get it cheaper than retail price. Discounts on eshop cards all the time.. Not to mention the $100 voucher deal that will drop the price down to $48 per game on the voucher after you count the 500 coins you get. And of course retail prices do drop too if you know when and where to look

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

I've been trying to find this too. Saw the Google Translated web page for the trophy list and it didn't seem like it had the timed trophies but I can't really be sure. I hope it doesn't have that either though

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I never played Minecraft really, it never interested me and I skipped out on DQB1 but I saw that DQB2 demo on Switch was available and I thought I'd try it, I am sold. It has a story, the gameplay is pretty basic but it still works, I looked at the noticeboard and saw what other players made and I was instantly sold, a game where it has a story and I could make what I want sounds great and I am now buying this day 1!
Wait there is a demo?? I loved the first one so gonna dl this as soon as I come home!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I enjoyed the first one but got burntout with it after about 35 hours (I think I was in Act 4).

Currently not planning to get the sequel. I'd probably enjoy it, but my gaming time is limited and Fire Emblem and Marvel have the priority for my July purchases.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Is the game one big seamless story mode or is it like the first game where it was split into chapters and with each chapter you'd have to start again with all your resources and home area and build from scratch each time?

I hated that about the first game dunno why that wasn't even mentioned anywhere so I ended up just not going far into it when I found out I couldnt create and customise and explore as it's all gonna be taken away from me in the next chapter.

I'd like to know this too, I really enjoyed the first chapter of the game and was disappointed when I started chapter 2 and had to start all over again. When I started chapter 3 and discovered I had to start yet again I never went back to the game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dragon Quest Builders is so much better than Minecraft.

I'd be all over DQB2 if I wasn't already buried under stuff to play as is.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

If eligible, I buy the credit at raise for a discount, then use it on the vouchers. After a sale the other day, I got the vouchers for like 83-84 bucks. Going to get this game and the Marvel one.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
It is one of the few games this year that I am entirely, 100% sold on. That and Fire Emblem + Luigi's Mansion make up the entire list of games I'm buying no matter what. Welcome to the club.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded the demo on my PS4 but I haven't played yet. Eh, the demo of the first game was exclusive to Switch right? I don't mind, I prefer get the second game than the first only because the backstory (sequel to DQ2? fuck yes)

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I double dipped on the first, played on PS4 and Switch. Picking up this one on PS4 to make sure performance isn't a problem.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I was sold after playing the first game's demo, but everyone told me to wait for the second lol
You need to go thank those people, this one has major improvements over the first, the main one being having your own world to build in at all times, instead of starting again with each new world you visit.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've never played Minecraft I don't fully know how the water system will work in this one. Water doesn't fill how I would expect it to to. I ended up making the start to an underwater base where you have a descent in water until bedrock and then you can start the climb into the base

Does the demo progress carry over to the full game?
No. After a certain point it warns you that anything further will not be saved.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah OP, the Builders games were such a surprise. They're very fun and clever, and also great gateways to mainline DQ as they share the charm and cheeky and clever writing too.

They even do some very interesting things with the narrative, being what if sequels to DQ1.
I downloaded the demo on my PS4 but I haven't played yet. Eh, the demo of the first game was exclusive to Switch right? I don't mind, I prefer get the second game than the first only because the backstory (sequel to DQ2? fuck yes)
Nah, it was on Vita and I assume PS4 too. My first experience with the game was the Vita demo.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You need to go thank those people, this one has major improvements over the first, the main one being having your own world to build in at all times, instead of starting again with each new world you visit.

Is the game reminiscent in any way of Actraiser? I'm told you can direct villagers to build large structures in addition to allowing you the player to construct various things on your own as well.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Is the game reminiscent in any way of Actraiser? I'm told you can direct villagers to build large structures in addition to allowing you the player to construct various things on your own as well.
I wouldn't say large structures, but yes. That part is more like State of Decay, where you "assign" someone to attend to something being built, and it continues in that template. They don't build unique properties without you telling them or designing it.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I'm so ready for this game. :)

Loved the first one! I hope the DQB2's dialogue is even goofier than the first.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up preordering. I think the only problem I have with it is the battery life. Just sucks it right up in portable mode.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I really liked what I played on my Switch and I'm so close to spontaneously buy it, but the performance was so horrendous on the Switch that I really don't know if I can do that.

I could buy it for the PS4 for perfect performance but I love the handheld factor so much that I would prefer it here, but the framerate just tanks to under 20fps in the whole temple area and that's not acceptable, the bird's-eye view drops to under 10fps even.
Every time you turn the cam to the sky it's 60fps and then you turn it to the temple area and it goes widely under 30. Handheld and Docked.
It feels like almost playing in slow motion whenever I look at the temple or mountains in general.
It's not that graphically demanding, why can't they get their shit right? :(

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't say large structures, but yes. That part is more like State of Decay, where you "assign" someone to attend to something being built, and it continues in that template. They don't build unique properties without you telling them or designing it.
So is it more like Actraiser or State of Decay? Can you build canals and tunnels? Can you create log cabins and stone castles from scratch?

And...

Does it's crafting mechanism have the potential to permanently derail players from completing the story mode altogether in much the same way that many Minecraft players ignore it's central plot against the dragon?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I bought the first game, and will be grabbing the second one too. Demos do help sell more copies, especially for games like this.