• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
If you loved 4, play 5 and 6 since they are very similar (much more action oriented). The two Revelations games are quite similar as well (and worth playing imho).

The other games (including both Remakes and 7) are very different, much slower and less action based so you may or may not like them as much.

My personal favorites are both remakes (1 and 2) and Code Veronica.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you loved 4, play 5 and 6 since they are very similar (much more action oriented). The two Revelations games are quite similar as well (and worth playing imho).

The other games (including both Remakes and 7) are very different, much slower and less action based so you may or may not like them as much.

My personal favorites are both remakes (1 and 2) and Code Veronica.

It seems disingenuous to say I'd like 5 and 6 because I like 4. Everything I've read and seen makes it clear RE4 is a masterpiece that almost perfectly blended the horror and action while 5 and 6 just went all action and were very generic by comparison.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
It seems disingenuous to say I'd like 5 and 6 because I like 4. Everything I've read and seen makes it clear RE4 is a masterpiece that almost perfectly blended the horror and action while 5 and 6 just went all action and were very generic by comparison.

Pretty much. I adore 4, but felt 5 was a step back in nearly every facet, besides graphics and the co-op gameplay (even if that's partly responsible for RE5's comparative missteps)

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I adore 4, but felt 5 was a step back in nearly every facet, besides graphics and the co-op gameplay (even if that's partly responsible for RE5's comparative missteps)
There's absolutely no way the story was a step back from RE4.

It's so superior, it's not even funny.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always good to revisit the series in it's numeric order.

Resident Evil Remake (the original PS1 one is completetely avoidable now unless you *really* want to play it)

Nah, the original is superior to REmake in several ways, most notably the branching story system which REmake turned into a joke.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Thats top RE, no other game in the series is like it.

However, you can try one game in each style next

REmake tank creepy survival horror with tank controls.
RE7 first person survival horror
RE5/6 more action

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Play all the mainline ones, including the original and remake versions, plus Zero and Code Veronica.

Also, try to not play RE5 alone, AI is shit and makes the single player experience shit as result. Coop is a blast tho, maybe the most fun i had with 2 players coop.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There's absolutely no way the story was a step back from RE4.

It's so superior, it's not even funny.
I thought it was boring, most of the game ypu are chasing generic terrorist guy, Spencer reveal is dumb, Sheva is clearly just there as a co op partner having very little involvment in the story, Wesker is a good antagonist but it depends if you like his brand of craziness in RE5, and the final battle.the reveals about the virus, plaga and umbrella are underwhelming as hell.
However not as bad as RE6 mind you

RE4 at least was something different, Leon is a cool protagonist, it doesn't take itself so seriously (the boring military language in RE5 started a trend) the locations were cool, creepy castle and village the antagonists were fun too who cant like the Illuminados cursing in spanish? And those credits 😢

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I wouldn't really blame anyone for saying that OP. You didn't exactly list what you loved about RE4, just that it was good. So I wouldn't exactly be pointing any fingers to those trying to help with titles you haven't even tried. RE fans like the series for a lot of different reasons and every title is someone's favorite. You'll never really know unless you try them after all.

For example, as someone who loves RE4. RE5 is everything I wanted out of a sequel.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium

Play them for yourself and find out. I have played them all and 5 and 6 (plus Revelations, especially 1) are definitely the most similar to 4 in gameplay. It seems logical to me that someone who loves the more action oriented approach of 4 would enjoy them as well and probably more than the other games. Like I said the other REs are much less action based which makes them very different experiences imho.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
All of them?

Resident Evil is a legendary franchise, it's worth your time.

But if I have to make a short list for you, prioritizing newer games: RE7, RE2make, REmake, RE4 you already played. RE2 and RE3 are also a must, but you might need some getting used to.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
OP here's where you learn no two RE fans are really alike. Lol. Probably the most overlap you'll see in recommended games in the entry to play are RE4, REmake, and RE2 remake.

Here's my suggestion: hop into REmake next and give tank controls a genuine shot. I say this because if you end up liking REmake then that will open up the rest of the series to you but if you don't like REmake then you can safely skip any RE game of that style (preset camera, horror style games). And give tank controls a shot because camera transitions are easier to deal with and REmake+Zero are the only two RE games of that style that offer the alternate 3D movement so if you beat those games and then decide to move onto RE3 or CVX you'll have to learn tank controls anyway. RE4 has given you a head start as that game technically has tank controls.

As far as other games in the series that I would recommend to you, I would play: RE2 remake, RE7 & Revelations 1. The story for Rev1 is certainly a bit goofy but the game feels great to play, RE7 is easily the most intense entry in the series and the RPD in RE2 remake is one of the best designed/paced areas of a game maybe ever. My feelings on the rest of the games:
  • Zero is a decent game but definitely one of the weaker entries
  • Only go back to original RE1 if you get way into the series
  • Original RE2 is one of the best RE games of that style and is worth checking out even if you play RE2 remake first
  • I personally am not an RE3 fan but it's a revered entry in the series. I would recommend just waiting for the inevitable remake
  • Code Veronica is a divisive game but I like it a lot and if you end up enjoying REmake I think CVX is worth checking out
  • I hate RE5 (kind of). So I love the play mechanics of RE5, Mercs mode, Lost in Nightmares and the campaign until Chris & Sheva hop into the back of a Jeep with miniguns but the rest of that campaign mostly sucks and no matter what people say RE5 is a bad single player game
  • RE6 on the other hand I think is a somewhat underrated action game. It's... a ride. Play with a friend if you can
  • Rev2 is... not great.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was boring, most of the game ypu are chasing generic terrorist guy, Spencer reveal is dumb, Sheva is clearly just there as a co op partner having very little involvment in the story, Wesker is a good antagonist but it depends if you like his brand of craziness in RE5, and the final battle.the reveals about the virus, plaga and umbrella are underwhelming as hell.
However not as bad as RE6 mind you

RE4 at least was something different, Leon is a cool protagonist, it doesn't take itself so seriously (the boring military language in RE5 started a trend) the locations were cool, creepy castle and village the antagonists were fun too who cant like the Illuminados cursing in spanish? And those credits 😢
The reveal about Umbrella is underwhelming? How about killing it off in RE4 in the first minute after 3 games building up a final showdown?

That's underwhelming.

I don't think you are that versed in the lore to appreciate RE5 so let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even recall the story, which to be fair, I don't know if that's a point in your favor or mine.
It's obvious you don't follow the story of the series closely so no point in discussing this further.

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
As someone whose first RE completion was also RE4 (the PSX games were too scary for me as a kid), and holds RE4 as a top 3 favorite at least, I say you should definitely go for REmake next. It's still the pinnacle of the original RE style, and just an incredibly satisfying game. It'll give you context for the shift RE4 was for the series, and despite RE4 being very different in so many ways it still has a strong vein of resource management and some of the adventure style structure that the original games were founded on. That structure was completely ditched in 5 and 6 and only came back in a real way in 7, though even there it was somewhat watered down. If you enjoyed RE4 as an adventure, and not just a pure action rollercoaster, you'll find a ton to love in REmake.

You might want to emulate it rather than playing the HD Remaster, since that has odd choices like the ugly color grading, unfortunate losses in visual quality where some areas had to be redone as realtime environments because the original files were lost, and complete oversights like some music playing at double speed because of the higher framerate. Don't be afraid of tank controls, they work perfectly with the static camera and are really the only good solution to control with that style of camera. You get used to them pretty quickly. A tip for that: holding the interact button will cause you to go through any door you touch as soon as you touch it. It's a small but great piece of functionality that helps smooth out navigation further, because it lets you focus on steering your character. Just one reason that REmake is the most polished iteration of classic survival horror ever.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
It's obvious you don't follow the story of the series closely so no point in discussing this further.

Just because we disagree doesn't mitigate the value of either of our opinions. RE4's story isn't nearly as dependent on the rest of the series, which is pertinent in a thread where the OP has no prior experience outside of 4 and is actively seeking feedback to determine what to play next, which as a reminder, is the person my post was directly addressing that you replied to

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, from there it only goes downwards imo.

RE4 >>>> REmake2 >>>> Revelations 1 >>>>>>>>> rest of the series

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
RE4 was my introduction into the series as well. It is still in my top 5 GOAT. I'd personally recommend Remake 1 and Remake 2 to be your next options. RE7 isnt quite at the same tier as the other three but it offers a much different approach. All the entries are good though. If you decide you want to play more. I'd recommend RE5, 6 and the revelation titles. Then RE3, CV, and 0. I personally enjoyed the rail shooters but you arent missing much unless you really enjoy the lore/story of the games.

Sep 12, 2018
I'd go REmake 2 -> REmake 1 -> OG Resident Evil 2 -> Resident Evil 7 (sets up REmake 2 in more ways than you might think) from there. The original 2 held up remarkably well for me despite being more of a time.

I really need to play 3 again though, one of the few games to scare me into not playing it again because I was 9 when it came out.

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything people say is great about RE4, pacing, introduction of new ideas etc, applies in spades to REmake. It's a stunning game. The perfect survival horror. It's absolutely the best game in the series. REmake2 is also very fucking good. RE7 is decent and got Capcom back on track after the fucking mess that is 6. Those 3 are easily accessible on PS4 etc. After that I'd say it's worth visiting original RE2, maybe 3 and I hold a soft spot for 0, which you can get on PS4.

Yeah, 5 is fun in co op, in the way that just about anything is fun with a friend. Outside of that it's fucking trash. 6 is even worse.

In conclusion, REmake is absolutely the game you should start with next.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Revelations 2 is one of the best RE games, so definitely play that along with 7, REMake, RE2 Remake and RE6.

The reason I recommend RE6 is because of how batshit insane it is. It's definitely worth playing through.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
if you loved 4 you are almost a guaranteed to like 5 and if you like the over the top stuff you will also enjoy 6

2 remake and 7 is also very good and worth playing.

the rest of the mainline games are vastly different in how they play, and frankly id only really suggest the hd remaster of the first game because the rest are probably too dated to enjoy now without the nostalgia.

Revelations 1-2 are okay, but they feel like budget versions of re4/5/6 (which they basically are)

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If you have a friend and don't take the experiences too seriously... grab RE5 and RE6. They're really only worth playing in co-op but they can be a lot of fun with a friend.

RE2 and RE7 are both fantastic and they lean more heavily on horror than RE4 did. RE2 might be a great place to start because you get to see Leon's origins.

REmake is the original game and it's way different than RE4 but it's still a great game.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play all the mainline games and Code Veronica X. Some aren't as good as others but they're still at least enjoyable. Skip Revelations 1.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5519

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am appreciating all of this feedback, thanks. It's cool to be a new fan of the series. Just an fyi though my playstyle is single player campaigns, so all the co op recommendations for 5 and 6 are just telling me to avoid those games entirley. Unless there is something else endearing?

Sep 12, 2018
I am appreciating all of this feedback, thanks. It's cool to be a new fan of the series. Just an fyi though my playstyle is single player campaigns, so all the co op recommendations for 5 and 6 are just telling me to avoid those games entirley. Unless there is something else endearing?
I tried to play 5 recently but really struggled with it tbh. That was coming straight from replaying 4 too.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Of the mainline ones, definitely play both the remakes and 7. 7 is not as good as the remakes (or 4), but it's still really, really good, and definitely worth at least one playthrough (especially if you have VR).

The Revelations games are also great (2 especially).

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Revelations 2 was mainline or did that change with 7?

Don't sleep on RE6.

9mRiwTE.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Most of them.

Resident Evil 1 Original - A bit rough but that RE charm is there in spades and is absolutely worth playing. You'll appreciate the remake more if you play this first

Resident Evil 2 Original - Absolutely fantastic game to this day. I'm not alone in thinking this is still the best game with the title Resident Evil 2. An absolute must play this is top tier classic RE

Resident Evil 3 - Oh this is a must play. Like most people I felt 2 was the better game overall, but boy is RE3 worth playing. One word. Nemesis. This fucker will be in your nightmares. His implementation is so good and still one of the top stalker enemies in gaming. But even outside of that RE3 doesn't get enough credit for how much it improves the RE gameplay. This was the game that introduced the quick turn. It had ammo crafting. Smoother controls. You could wall up stairs automatically now. It had some procedural elements too, and was the first RE game that didn't reset enemy positions when you left a room thus meaning things cant be cheesed as much. Just play RE3 it's really good.

Code Veronica - It has a lot of problems, but it's worth playing. Story and dialogue is absolute magic. Got that so bad it's good quality. It's hilarious. And there is some good design in there hidden between the bullshit. Prepare for some horrible enemy designs and poor design decisions. But nevertheless all in all CV is decent if you can get past its problems.

REmake - The gold standard for remakes. Really good. Improves upon the original in every way, and does a really good job playing with expectations. A must play one of the best in the series. Play it.

Resident Evil 0 - This is worth playing. Not one of the stronger entries in the series. It belongs in the Code Veronica camp. It had some bad design decisions and the boss fights are really horrible. But it's classic RE design for the most part and well done mostly. The partner mechanic makes for some really interesting mechanics and gameplay. I like it. It's also the source of frustration in certain sections if you've given the wrong character the wrong items beforehand. The lack of item boxes makes the inventory management a real chore at times. But nevertheless the core of RE is here and it's good. Worth playing, but there's a lot of problems.

Resident Evil 5 - If you have a co-op partner give it a whirl. If you don't then don't even bother.

Resident Evil 7 - Play it right fucking now! One of my favourites. It does so much right and was a breath of fresh air the way RE4 was. The first person perspective adds so much. This is a special game I love it so much. With or without VR the game is phenomenal. Play it now.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - Unlike REmake, I'd recommend playing this with no knowledge of the original RE2. Because if you've played the original you're more likely to be disapointed with the remake. There's a lot of things it does worse. But on its own merits, this is a fantastic RE game and one of the best in the series. The implementation of Mr X is brilliant. Definitely a must play.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, the original is superior to REmake in several ways, most notably the branching story system which REmake turned into a joke.
That was bad design in the original game. Glad they streamlined it for the REmake. Oh no you made this arbitrary decision you couldn't have possibly known about beforehand. Bad ending for you! It's crap. The game literally locks you out of the final boss for this shit. Actual gameplay content, not just an end cutscene. It's bad design they were right to streamline it for the REmake.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That was bad design in the original game. Glad they streamlined it for the REmake. Oh no you made this arbitrary decision you couldn't have possibly known about beforehand. Bad ending for you! It's crap. The game literally locks you out of the final boss for this shit. Actual gameplay content, not just an end cutscene. It's bad design they were right to streamline it for the REmake.
Even still, they could've made it a bit better than they did in REmake. But I digress.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I played them all for the first time within the last couple of years, and the only one I regret my time with was Code Veronica. That game was the most obtuse, vindictively-designed thing I've ever played, full of traps to fall into that lock you out of really vital stuff for hours of gameplay, if not forever. But every other mainline Resident Evil was really good at the absolute worst, and a masterpiece at best. You really can't go wrong (except with Code Veronica).

Prat

Jan 9, 2018
Stop backlogging and just go with RE2 remake.
Ask us again after finishing that one.
Cheers.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
technically, all REs are canon if made in Japan.Yes, that includes Umbrella Corps and the 3 CG movies.
only ones that aren't are ORC & Gaiden off the top of my head. Along with Mercs 3D (for obvious reasons).

This is what I figured.

So yeah, definitely check out Revelations 2. The first isn't too bad, but the scanning can be a little annoying sometimes, but it's an interesting new mechanic.

And don't sleep on RE6.

d5goaoo-91c8cec2-9539-4825-b1dc-bc3e8d3ce7e7.gif

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I loved Resident Evil 3 because you really get to SEE Raccoon City. And you're actually like... surrounded by zombies. Many many times. Also this will be your nightmare

"Starrrrrrrs...."

Plus look at how pretty the Seamless HD project is!!

www.reshdp.com

RE3SHDP

HD Texture packs for the classic Resident Evil games without seams!

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
REDEADCOVER.jpg

Next to Outbreak, definitely one of my favorite side games. I like the switching back and forth between third/first person and it it does retain that survival horror feeling with basic puzzles. As an antagonist, Morpheus is alright and I enjoyed all of his encounters in the game.

It's short and sweet little side story and I totally recommend it.