• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a parent, my job is to guide my kids to good decisions. Notice I said guide. I support all my kids in what they do or think they want to do. I'd be a real shit parent if I never tried to nudge them in the right direction tho.

You have to take into account that the "right" direction could be the totally opposite of what your kids perceive. My dad wanted me to follow in the family footsteps and work at a used car lot. I became a graphic designer instead lol. Obviously anecdotal but still. Not trying to judge in any way, just something to consider. :)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My aunt's husband ran his own plumbing business for about 25 years until he retired early due to joint pain problems. It was a very small outfit, they only did local house calls and had good arrangements with a handful of local businesses. My cousin (his son) told me that when his father retired and he took over the business, they had already paid off their house and had several hundred thousand dollars in the bank. They even had enough for my cousin to put down a $50k payment on the house right across the street.

All from a little plumbing business. If you're unafraid of hard work and can deal with gross stuff there is certainly a lot of money to be made.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I wonder if young people will start going for it? The social capital of a college degree still seems high. No one bats an eye when a friend says they filter out people that didn't go to college on dating apps. The media (not just news but films and tv) glorify college - friendships, parties, study abroad, etc.

Maybe this will change with the student loan crisis not going away.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
They have to pay for a lot of stuff. Tools. Insurance cause they can screw up your house. Health care. The list goes on.
Buying tools was always a perk to me. The most enjoyable part of the job IMO. Having good power and hand tools is just convenient in general. Actually, is there a power tool or tool thread on era?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside. Learning to do your own electrical work and plumbing can save you a fortune.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I have an office job and I think I'd trade it for a trade. We are never going to fucking unionize (public accounting), get paid like shit for long, gruesome hours.

These tradespeople are making bank. And they have good insurance with unions so they can see doctors often without worrying.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they are ripping their customers off, but that's capitalism. I don't blame them one bit, get that money when the money is good.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I had a Roto-Rooter guy come out to give me a quote on installing a new garbage disposal (which I had already bought at Home Depot) and he said it would be 400 bucks!!! He even said I'd be stupid to pay it cause I could just do it myself and he showed me how, lol. It took 15 minutes. Good on them for the hustle I guess.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
yeah man. I recently bought the Makita LXT set in the last year. Used to roll with Milwaukee. Now I'm finding out DeWalt is slightly ahead in that tool tier.

Im a Milwaukee fanboy. I have a Milwaukee level for gods sake haha. When i finished school i received a $2,000 grant and i bought 2 brushless milwaukee drills and they are still going strong 6 years later. Been buying thier stuff ever since.

Love the black and red!

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Im a Milwaukee fanboy. I have a Milwaukee level for gods sake haha. When i finished school i received a $2,000 grant and i bought 2 brushless milwaukee drills and they are still going strong 6 years later. Been buying thier stuff ever since.

Love the black and red!
My issue was I bought the Milwaukee v18 series that was discontinued in a year as the batteries died out easily. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The m18 series is incredible though

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's a trade per se, but we had the Direct TV guy in our attic dropping a new coax line. It wasn't full Phoenix summer, but it was warm enough. Guy looked like hell when he came out. Meanwhile I been meaning to drop some coax myself recently, but can't be assed to do it.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a trades union and the pay is legit, but I think the high pay depends on what region of the country/labor laws/city your in.

A lot of areas that dont have strong labor laws or are right to work have shit pay.

As for the wear and tear on the body, I wish guys would not kill themselves over this work. Personaly I take my time and always enforce the work is a two man trade I dont lift or move anything heavy without a partner and proper equipment and safety. I always wear/use ppe. I do get shit for it sometimes and probably been laid of because I refuse to move my ass and break my back. I don't care I would rather have my body than the extra money.

Last edited:

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have an office job and I think I'd trade it for a trade. We are never going to fucking unionize (public accounting), get paid like shit for long, gruesome hours.

These tradespeople are making bank. And they have good insurance with unions so they can see doctors often without worrying.

Not everyone works for a union. Heres the thing. Ive been on many job sites throughout my career. No one gives a fuck about you. No one cares about your health and safety when a deadline is approaching. The trades are so grossly behind in basic things like worker safety its sickening. I have dozens and dozens of stories regarding this. The money is nice. The rest is dogshit.

I would trade my job for an office job any day of the week (hence why i am going back to school)

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Not everyone works for a union. Heres the thing. Ive been on many job sites throughout my career. No one gives a fuck about you. No one cares about your health and safety when a deadline is approaching. The trades are so grossly behind in basic things like worker safety its sickening. I have dozens and dozens of stories regarding this. The money is nice. The rest is dogshit.

I would trade my job for an office job any day of the week (hence why i am going back to school)
Deadlines usually mean 20-24 hour shifts lol. The good ol days. And GCs talk the most shit on the job since they cut the specific Contractors the main check. Also unions are based on politics and usually are prejudice to non whites depending on where your local chapter is located.

The overall atmosphere is like being in a football or hockey locker room. You need thick skin.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the more I complain, the more I know the grass ain't greener on the other side.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hard work, tough on the body, but stick with it long enough and you can make bank. A buddy of mine told me to go into a trade. I decided sitting on my ass and being in an office was a better choice for me. We are both making pretty decent money so neither of us has any regrets.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
You still can be. It's only a year of school and every community college offers trade programs.

While this may be true, in a predominantly union area you'd want to join the union for the big bucks (and other benefits). They usually get more applicants than they actually take on, and the apprenticeship is around 4 to 5 years. You're working and getting paid (not full journeyman pay) during the apprenticeship, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, trade skills pay very well but then you have to be comfortable with manual labor and sometimes geting your hands very dirty. I dont want to be digging around someones pipes and breaking my back.

the smart ones start that way to learn the ropes, open their own company and hire young grunts to do all that shit while they pocket massive money.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah trades can bring in big friggen money. You'll destroy your body with some of them, but make bank.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
That is why I am super nice to service people that come to my house. Offer them water and let them do their thing and call me when done. I would hate to have someone stand over me while i work, so i don't do it to them
Lol I appreciate when people do that. I understand sometimes people are just curious and wanna see what I'm doing but it can be a pain. One time when I was under a house, my customer followed me down there...🤣

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
A buddy of mine did it for a while and ended up quitting. Was just too hard on him to do on a regular basis. Tried doing it on the side but it was hard to fit it around the rest of his life.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an apprentice electrician now and I wish I'd skipped college entirely and gone in 5 years sooner. Great field, you learn a lot, there's all sorts of specialities you can work in to. I got my buddy to apply too and it's the best decision we've made.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People are acting like sitting at a desk all day doesn't destroy your body. Already got 2 coworker in their 40s that are having trouble typing. It helps we now have standing desk and ergonomic keyboard