• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I once had a rebel whopper that has that 'impossible' meat. They had a 50/50 campaign here to see if you could tell the difference. And well I could tell it as clear as day lol.

I mean, it's not bad but it doesn't taste like a beef burger like at all.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
So the only impossible burger I had was the whopper recently and I didn't care for it, few bites of fake chargrill and then just kind of nothing after. Is the impossible whopper a bad example of the impossible burger? I love beyond meat and always hear impossible is better but it kinda was a nothing burger to me.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I think Impossible is pretty good in things like chili con carne, but fairly mediocre as a burger replacement. Definitely didn't get that "wow, this isn't beef?" like in the advertising. Fake meat has come a long way from what I remember 15 or so years ago and I like the idea of the better environmental impact, but they need to work on the price before it will really make much traction on that point.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I use it often when I can get a bunch on sale. I also recently made the discovery that my go to for frozen beef patties, Golden Krust, makes a Beyond Meat version. I could not believe it and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond is pretty good, but Impossible is better.
Neither is healthy, but then neither is beef. I'll add them to my grocery cart once in awhile, though, if and when they come down in price to something that fits in my grocery budget. At that point, I'm great with never buying hamburger again (not that I do all that often).

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Wawa Sizzli with the Beyond sausage and honestly thought it was rather disgusting, like, not just "not meat" but actually tasted awful. I'm also not one that hates meat substitues so it surprised me. I've never had a Beyond anything, but would the sausage in the Sizzli be a different "formula" from the burgers maybe? Maybe the taste of Beyond just doesn't mesh as well with a "breakfast" sandwich as it does a traditional burger - at least for me.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I've been wanting to try a Beyond Meat burger for about a couple of years, but could never find them. I'm in the UK, and I've just discovered that Ocado now stocks them. Excited to try one out.

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
I hate Beyond meat. Hate. At first I thought it was just me. But then my son, at 4 years old, tasted it once and gagged. I've heard from others that it's perfectly fine. To me, it tastes like the smell of cat dissection in high school biology. Just foul, and completely unfit for consumption. I wonder if there is some genetic thing going on, like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

Impossible burgers on the other hand—love them. I buy Impossible at least half the time we go grocery shopping. They're great.

Yeah I'm with you there. It smells like cat food or something to me so I can barely get it in my mouth without heaving. Impossible is much better but way harder to find unfortunately.

I guess we're a merry trio? To be fair though, I only tried the Lightlife meat-alternative, because the store did not have Impossible or Beyond Meat. I tried to keep an open mind but it looked and smelled like catfood right out of the tray. When I was cooking it, the juices leaked out and became sticky like glue in my non-stick pan. Flipping it (after prying it off the pan) almost made me gag and I couldn't get to the point where I would have even tried it.

That said, there are some foods I'll quite happily eat, as long as someone else prepares them. Spam and Scrapple being the top two that I can think of. Cooked, they're appetizing and tasty, but a raw brick of either is so incredibly gross to me that I will never make them at home. Meat-alternative burgers might be one of those things where I'm fine if I order one in a restaurant but it's not for my home kitchen.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Beyond is okay but it smells terrible. Impossible all the way.

(Though the unspoken eldritch truth is that there are plenty of good, "close enough" veggie burgers out there that are way cheaper.)

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like Impossible Burgers way better. The Whopper is okay, but getting it at a non-fast food place is really good.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vegetarian since I was 20ish, the release of beyond was a game-changer. Never had impossible, seems hard to find in Canada at the moment.

I find a lot of people I know hate on beyond for not tasting quite like beef. Even if they say it tastes good, or has its own flavour, because it can't quite taste exactly like a 1:1 replica of cow, they write it off. Makes no sense to me, just treat it like a different kind of food

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interestingly i have met a lot of people who are very into contortions and who position themselves to take environmental matters as an existential threat yet go "oh so only 90% less CO2 and only 99% less water. Nah not worth it. But I will vote though... but only for environmental pragmatists"

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Really don't agree. Beyond burger is really bad. Tastes like shredded mixed root vegtables with extra beet root.
Havent tried impossible yet but really want to. I love the idea of meatless substitutes.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond is something else, not massive on their sausage but hear they're working on a bacon too. Never really eaten meat (Meat free from 5) but within the last few years products are getting better and better, as a Vegan we now have cheese and onion pasties/rolls which taste pretty close to what I remember eating as a kid and new products are coming out pretty much almost weekly in the UK.

Edit bacon they're working on.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer beyond but also really like impossible.

Only negative about beyond to me is it smells exactly like Spam when cooking.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Impossible is much closer than Beyond, but both are ok. Neither really quite feels like it's meat when it's a burger, but for like taco meat or whatever it's totally fine

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Vegetarian since I was 20ish, the release of beyond was a game-changer. Never had impossible, seems hard to find in Canada at the moment.

I find a lot of people I know hate on beyond for not tasting quite like beef. Even if they say it tastes good, or has its own flavour, because it can't quite taste exactly like a 1:1 replica of cow, they write it off. Makes no sense to me, just treat it like a different kind of food
It's hard to overstate how disgusting Beyond meat is. I know it's easy to exaggerate on the internet, and I don't want to be misunderstood. Beyond meat is physically repulsive. It's not that it doesn't taste like beef. It doesn't taste like a food product. It tastes like something between melted plastic and formaldehyde. I want to make it clear that I'm not oversizing my opinion here. It is literally inedible to me.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Never had Beyond but I had the Impossible Burger from Burger King and it tasted like ass. Did not taste like beef at all. I'm assuming there are higher quality variations if you venture outside BK, but I dunno.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're pretty good. I wish they were a bit thinner though.
Buy the ground 'beef', steam over a bed of onions, cover. You can make 10-15 if you want them thin like that. Think White Castle/White Mana.

Vegan sliders.

I could divulge more but then I would be giving away my award winning recipe for all sliders.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Buy the ground 'beef', steam over a bed of onions, cover. You can make 10-15 if you want them thin like that. Think White Castle/White Mana.

Vegan sliders.

I could divulge more but then I would be giving away my award winning recipe for all sliders.

I've never seen the ground beef version before. Just the patties.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Personally don't care much for Beyond meat. Ive grown up loving a real nice juicy beef burger. Mmmmmm!!

Now give me an Impossible burger w/ sautéed onions and mushrooms? Yes please. I thoroughly enjoy a good burger made with Impossible meat.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A&w's beyond burgers are pretty good, I won't lie. Doesn't taste like meat really, but the consistency is good.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I actually prefer beyond over impossible because of the texture.

Know a guy in Japan who owns a burger chain who makes his own vegan patties that he calls Superior and I prefer that to both impossible and beyond. Being from LA he does a vegan animal style too and it's to die for. Place is called Great Lakes Burgers.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wash my mouth with Listerine afterwards. Such a shit taste, almost like chewing on carton to me. It also feels...too salty? I had the Beyond just to try it out but exaggeration aside, I didn't like the taste at all. Need to try the Impossible.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought the beyond meat frozen patties at costco a while back.

I really, really enjoyed them. They reminded me of the cheap frozen burgers mom used to get from the grocery store as a kid. It was comforting. They smell like cat food when unthawed tho haha. Ive only had them grilled on my BBQ and i think thats the only way ill consume them

I haven't tried impossible tho.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
And holy shit it tasted great. Why didn't anyone tell me those tasted that good? I was expecting some "meh" experience but nope, shit tasted better than the beef burger I ate moments before.
Are all "fake meat" that good?
They are not. Beyond is one of the top two famous brands, but here's something I've learned after trying both top two substitutes:

Beyond Burgers - They don't try to replicate the taste of a beef patty, but go for it's own flavor/taste, and it's pretty successful. The naming convention helps me remember this: They try to make food "Beyond" normal burgers.

Impossible Burgers - They actually try to replicate the taste and texture of a traditional beef patty, and it mostly works well. The naming convention helps here too: They try to make their burgers "Impossible" to distinguish from the real deal.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of others in here, I prefer Impossible for burgers but I don't think there's a single grocery store in the state that sells them. There's 10 places within a few miles I could order one, just no options for cooking at home.

I really do like Beyond for other ground beef applications though, like tacos. That said, before I went off meat I wasn't the biggest fan of ground beef anyway and rarely had it.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I tried them a few times. But they are like, beyond premium products here as well, lol. We have the vegetarian butcher and Valess (ranging from EUR 2.50 to 3.50) as the main premium products, and Beyond is like 2 euros more expensive than those (EUR 5+).

Luckily we have a wide range of cheaper products that have a pretty consistent quality (EUR 1.60 - 3). Then again, I am so cheap that I just buy tons of plain old tofu.

I notice that the products which rely on spice and other flavoring (e.g. smoked sausage) are more easily mocked than others. Or if the product is ground up such that texture and/or taste don't really matter anyway.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like Impossible Burgers way better. The Whopper is okay, but getting it at a non-fast food place is really good.
Yeah, I was going to mention this. The Impossible Whopper is not really a good showcase for Impossible in general, since the patties are so thin and cooked well done. Best case from that is it tastes like a Whopper, which doesn't exactly set a high bar.

On the other hand, if you get something like a 1/3 lb patty, cooked medium (little pink), it really shows off how close it is to beef compared to its competitors.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the Impossible Whopper a couple times. Tastes like a Whopper. If they start selling Impossible in the grocery stores around here, I might try making my own some time.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
A place near me has a "southwest" version of one with various shit on it and it's really good. I still haven't had one in a regular burger form like just lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles.