• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Learn to parry, get Mikiri Counter asap, select Japanese voice acting because the English voice acting is trash.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Same I also just got this game.

Trying to learn parrying as I'm stuck on the drunk, fat bastard who I can't simply cheese by dodging, like I did with the enemies before him.

Is it important to keep yourself from actually dying? What happens if too much rot spreads around the world? I was playing casually until I realized I was dying way too much and now I rest after my first death but I wonder if I'm just wasting my time.
Learning this game is a lot of fun. It doesn't play like any of the Souls games I've played and that's what I love about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Same I also just got this game.

Trying to learn parying as I'm stuck on the drunk, fat bastard who I can't simply cheese by dodging, like I did with the enemies before him.

Is it important to keep yourself from actually dying? What happens if too much rot spreads around the world? I was playing casually until I realized I was dying way too much and now I rest after my first death but I wonder if I'm just wasting my time.
Learning this game is a lot of fun. It doesn't play like any of the Souls games I've played and that's what I love about it.
The effects of Dragonrot can always be reversed as long as you can get an item to do so. The amount of items is limited, but the effects of Dragonrot are never irreversible. You can keep trying the same fight as many times as you want without worrying.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
It's Punch-Out with swords. The method to the combat is basically "run up against a new enemy, observe its patterns, die, repeat until you learn the patterns".

For the early game, I would recommend following this guide up until defeating Lady Butterfly, then doing the rest of the game blind.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Any common mistake that destroys the experience and make the game harder than it supposed to be? I'm familiar with FS games but I thought this game is a bit different and I could use your help to enhance my playthrough.

Give yourself time to learn the mechanics, particularly parrying. Movement, combat, and the need for patience may seem awkward for the first hour or two, but it will all eventually make sense. If you hit a wall -- and you will -- take a break, even if it's for a few days. There was one boss I attempted to beat and it took me well over 8 hours of constantly trying, but I left the game for a day, came back and bested him. Amazing!

Timing is everything. Everything!

With timing and patience, you will learn the various rhythms for each enemy (and boss). You will learn to parry enemies differently, and then everything else will come.

This is the hardest and most rewarding combat game I've ever played, and I love the Souls genre. Sekiro is something special.

Also, bookmark this and don't hesitate to use it (lots of spoilers for many boss/mini-boss fights):

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The effects of Dragonrot can always be reversed as long as you can get an item to do so. The amount of items is limited, but the effects of Dragonrot are never irreversible. You can keep trying the same fight as many times as you want without worrying.
That makes things a lot easier for me. Thanks!

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Don't be afraid to try all the different tools, tactics, or cheese. Once you find an opening, exploit it ruthlessly.

Don't bother doing extra "leveling up" beyond what you get normally.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Slow down and try to minimize your actions. Once you understand an enemy's attack patterns they'll feel like they're moving in slow motion.

if you're fighting by button mashing you're 100% fucking up.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Trade it back in and get a real video game, OP! Like Garfield Kart.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you are playing it wrong, Genichiro will teach you everything. He will basically force you to be good at the game.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro is almost never harder than it is right at the beginning. Don't get discouraged if you have trouble for a little while.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, your posture regenerates faster if you're blocking. It's actually super useful to know.

Nov 2, 2017
Hold block to regain your own posture faster.

Took to long for someone to say this so I'll repeat it.

HOLDING BLOCK RESTORES YOUR POSTURE FASTER.

So important and so easy to miss. Also be aggressive. Enemies often have predictable counter attacks after they deflect/block you. So you can reflect them right back and start attacking again.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Take it slow. Learning the combat is really the main thing you need to do to progress. The old sword and board style of Souls etc does not work. You have to watch your enemy and react to them.
This but don't take it slow. Be aggressive and react quickly to your enemies. Make them react to you, not the other way around. You should be able to run into a group of enemies and take most of them on at the same time once you get into the swing of things.

Aug 10, 2019
Mash the party button until you understand the timing. If you have trouble fighting the bosses look up the Sekiro Guru on YouTube, he's both informative and funny.

Don't look up anything unless you absolutely need too, The game has surprises and is awesome in almost every way.

GotY

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Publishers should really put instructions on the game case. My advice would be to take the disc out of the case and insert it into your Playstation 4 disc slot. The system should automatically power on but if it doesn't you might call Best Buy to see if they can send someone over to assist.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
1. Definitely use subtitles instead of English dub
2. Holding block reduces posture buildup... critical for bosses
3. Dodging should almost never be your primary defense unless it's a swiping power move
4. Firecrackers, Double Ichimonji, Shurikens are your friend
5. You can block more attacks than you think you can

Once you really understand 2 and 3, the game makes a lot more sense.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Genichiro will teach you that aggression pays off. Don't keep your distance, don't wait it out. Just stick to him like glue, attack and react/parry to whatever he does. This works for other bosses as well. Even more than Bloodborne you will have to be on the offensive.

Oct 25, 2017
I love souls games, does this play more like ninja gaiden?
It plays a little more like NG than a Souls game does, but no that wouldn't be the first comparison that comes to mind.

It feels kind of like Souls with a bunch of restrictions removed. No stamina, great agility, fairly easy parry timing, and once you know what you're doing, persistent aggression pays off a lot more than in a Souls game.

in Sekiro, player skill allows you to basically exert your will on any enemy whereas in Souls, even with high skill and a powerful character, you still have to be patient and cautious a lot of the time.

It also doesn't have long combos or a bunch of weapons like NG does.

FanZeroEx

Jan 29, 2019
Parry. Even if attacks seem intimidating if they don't show red symbol during the animation they can be parried. Also stealth is very strong in this game so explore your options.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ignore everyone suggesting to play with Japanese VO, as there is a certain Mister Gyoubu who demands that his name be heard in English.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's basically said everything at this point, but I wanna reiterate that the umbrella is awesome.
Also, if you care about going after any of the more unique endings, make sure to eavesdrop at every opportunity.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Got this for Christmas and my first true Souls game. It has been challenging so far, but I am enjoying it.

I've taken some tips from this forum that have helped - but one question I have. I am practicing in an area (first flashback sequence I think?) And getting my timing right.

But how important is levelling up? E.g is it worth getting that extra kill then resting if close to levelling then rest? I know it respawns enemies, but I dont mind the practice. Does levelling improve stats/unlocks? And do enemies scale with you?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • if a boss is too hard, try going a different way first.
  • don't try and beat bosses or mini bosses at first try. Take your time and learn their moves. Goal should be to get better each try. Dying doesn't matter.
  • At the half way point there is a very difficult boss which tests everything you learned. Don't give up, beating him is one of the most satisfying feelings I got from a video game.
  • Learn about bosses weaknesses and exploit it.
  • Parry, parry, parry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Guys,

I feel bad for writing this, but I have to say it. You all deserve it after posting huge amount of tips.

I played it for 4-5 hours, and deleted it. It just didn't click for me. And it was weird. I love FS games. Hope Elden Ring will be more like Soulsborne games and less like Sekiro.