• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Is this normal? She just swabbed in the nostril area for 10 seconds each and that was it. Feels like it's not deep enough... can anyone confirm from their experience?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Think about how it's spread. If you have it, it's all over your face. Don't worry, the nurses and doctors know what they are doing.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
That's normal for the newer tests

The first one I got in March was the brain tickling kind, all subsequent ones have been the shallower kind

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Did you cry? I hear that your eyes have to water if they've done it right. Mines did, the three times I had my nose swabbed.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
different test i assume. i work at a hospital there we go deep into the nose. and a friend is working at another hospital in another
county and their test is not the same as ours

i think the newer ones doesnt need the depth

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my wife is a teacher and they've been piloting newer tests on them - she said it was super quick and painless, no need to punch your frontal lobe like they did previously

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely hit the back of my skull when I got tested, but that was the PCR-kind and maybe you got a different one?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am assuming the newer tests can get the results without having to jam the stick all the way to the back of your throat through your nose.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I've heard that the newer tests, especially the ones with rapid results, don't require them to chisel a chunk of your brain off and yank it through your nose.

ikalugar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got one last week, they just rubbed just inside each nostril after making me blow out of each one lightly. Came back negative fortunately.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I had a cousin get tested last week. According to him, it's basically like a flu swap now. I told him I was hoping they'd have to stick it all the way to his brain.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got one in July that was like that. It made me want to sneeze and cough slightly, but that's it. I also got an antibody test.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure rapids don't go far in at all. Mine didn't about a month ago.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter got one last night and they gave her the swab and told her to put it in her nose.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, thats how it is now in most cases as far as I can tell. Mine was the same way last week (came back negative!). Still an odd sensation, but thankful it wasnt what it was.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I get them weekly at work and they still go all the way up. Its better than any coffee at 8AM on a Monday. Wakes you up for sure.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a 'swab' test that a lot of places have now, just swaps your nose.

I've had two tests and they both tickled my brain. Ended up speaking a different language after it.

honestly, I didn't think the brain tickler was bad at all. I had a cold back in July, feared it was COVID, got a test, and they did a Strep test at the same time just to be sure, and fuck I hate strep tests and I didn't mind the covid test at all. (was negative for both, just a cold/allergies)

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
The ones that tickle the brain are actually disgusting. 12cm up your nose, like what the fuck? If you don't have COVID in your immediate nose, doubt it's spreading anywhere.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wait, no more tickle the brain tests? Thank the lord!

I got tested in the summer. It was very uncomfortable how far that swab went, heh.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
My work gives me one of the "LAMP" tests. I think this might be the one described by OP? I'm doing it tomorrow evening.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
The clinic near me only does blood tests. I wished they had the swab test too.

PS. I dont live in the US.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
the brain stem comments are making me squeamish lol. If I stay at home forever I'll never need to do one of these tests 🙃

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is this normal? She just swabbed in the nostril area for 10 seconds each and that was it. Feels like it's not deep enough... can anyone confirm from their experience?
We get tested every week and haven't gotten samples from the nose since the summer.

Only getting a throat swab now.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My recent rapid test was a finger prick blood test. Not sure which I preferred.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I have literally had 6 tests over the last week (trying to travel to a country that requires it)

The nose thing is uncomfortable, but wasn't pain inducing. It did hit a tear producing nerve. Holding it for 15 seconds is just weird.

I never got the real deep one. My sister-in-law got one, and she said her nose hurt a day later.

Jun 23, 2019
I actually just got tested this morning. They gave me a swab and said to stick it up my nose far enough to reach the nasal canal and rub the walls. My eyes immediately watered up and any congestion I had was immediately gone haha.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I watched my son get a deep nose swab and I almost passed out. He was fine but he said it felt like it was hitting the back of his eyeball.

Sep 7, 2020
e7b771076277c3a494cd0b071ebea9e5.png

these are the standard PCR test - you notice how it gathers cells from nasopharynx (where the swab is touching)

c21ceabba74bebc19a0ac41f05597402.png

this is the nasal swab mentioned in OP. more convenient, but higher false negative

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the newer tests don't require them to tickle your brain stem.

they are less sensitive and they probably collect less material.

Isn't that bad?

Anyway my experience with the deep one.

Hey that is not so bad, a bit uncomfortable, but i can endure 10 second of this.
Then she start twisting and turning the swab. My god.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
The test I had at CVS before I moved across town to a new apartment a few months ago wasn't nearly as invasive as the earlier tests... It was also a self-service drive-thru test with guidance from the person administering the tests through the window. Was definitely not expecting to have to do it myself, though it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Has anyone else had experience with the drive-thru style of test?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The test I had at CVS before I moved across town to a new apartment a few months ago wasn't nearly as invasive as the earlier tests... It was also a self-service drive-thru test with guidance from the person administering the tests through the window. Was definitely not expecting to have to do it myself, though it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Has anyone else had experience with the drive-thru style of test?

I feel like if they give it to you, you are not likely going to make a good job if it provoke any uncomfortable feeling. Leading to more false negative.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I've had two tests so far, one self-administered one just lightly in my nose and another saliva one. I also gave blood to a research trial testing for antibodies to look for community spread. At the start of things I was honestly way more afraid of having to get a test than actually get the disease, so I'm glad testing is far less invasive now.