• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My mom's asking me to go downstairs to close the window in the kitchen and I'm legit too terrified to do that in case my neighbors are outside
Well your are in a shit position, but the game has changed. Forget the part of how your friend screwed you and make your mindset as "I have no idea what she did, but I told her to stop." If they get mad at you, you spill your guts in rage (fake or real lol) at your friend. They already hate her and you can redirect that energy to her as they prob dont even know what she looks like. If they ask for who/where she is, say you guys haven't talked for some unrelated reason.
And that's all that matters when fucking someone over.
lmfaooo

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Communication is everything. Cut off ties with the person you once thought was a "friend". Talk to your neighbor and explain every last detail. The person who you considered to be a "friend" absolutely fucked you over in the situation, had the person's pets taken away, and then slunk away from the fallout they created. Seriously, go talk to your neighbor and tell them that you're done with that person and how everything unfolded to lead to this point. Even if you thought that calling animal control was the correct decision, you didn't make it. That's wholly unfair to you and has created an uncomfortable situation with a neighbor. It's going to be a rough, awful conversation with your neighbor, but it's not right for them to think that it was you who called animal control on them.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
featherless-bird-thumbnail-360x200.jpg

photo of op.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what kind of rules your animal controll has, however just because someone keeps nagging usually doesnt get animals removed.

If animal controll acted, I would personally assume that the animals were neglected.

That being said I dont really get your problem. You did not call Animal Control, it was a friend of yours. You cant control what strangers do who pass by your neighbours house. Also maybe other neighbours noticed too?

You are innocent (or guilty) of not calling Animal Control. It was someone else.

the fact that you asked if the birds are for sale might make your neighbour think you are involved tho...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This almost made me consider slightly chuckling so thanks for this lighthearted post

Whats a life without a chuckle?

That friend is no good. Enough has been said heh. Id initiate a full military grade Ghosting. Shit lesson but at least you can learn from it. A friend would have given you a heads up. Neighbor/You calling and asking about the bird and all. That fucks your shit all up.

They shat where you eat.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Feels kinda weird that the actual well-being of the birds is a secondary concern here.

"Maybe they were on the verge of death, but nevertheless ...", I don't feel like the OP is the protagonist in this interaction. If you think the neighbor suspects it was you and hates you, you're free to explain how it was B's call, completely independent of anyone in your household.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Feels kinda weird that the actual well-being of the birds is a secondary concern here.

"Maybe they were on the verge of death, but nevertheless ...", I don't feel like the OP is the protagonist in this interaction. If you think the neighbor suspects it was you and hates you, you're free to explain how it was B's call, completely independent of anyone in your household.
This is why I feel like I'm being selfish but again all my friend had to go on was one bird was missing feathers. I checked the birds here and there for a couple of weeks and they were feeding them every day and cleaning the cages. To me they did not seem like they were on the verge of death. My neighbors have owned these birds for 10 years. My friend saw them 1 time, 1.5 months ago. Anyways, I'm still trying to find out what happened during the investigations. And there's a proper way to go about it without putting me in a bad position, which she did.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Don't bother trying to do anything with the neighbours right now IMO it'll make things worse.

Let them rage at animal control. If they get the birds back and it turns out they weren't being abused you may need to offer them an explanation and an apology but don't expect it to fix things in that scenario.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I am still at loss as to why you asked your neighnour whether the bird is on sale.
That's how it is for at least the first call. No clue about the 2nd and 3rd calls. I don't even know how to approach my friend about this. I need more information but it'll be almost impossible for me to not cuss her out honestly
You dont need more information. You feel guilty because your friend told you. Had she withdrawn that information from you, you wouldnt even think about it.
Ohhh gotcha

I kept an eye on them and the neighbors weren't spending time with them 24/7 but I saw them feeding them and cleaning the cage every day and etc.... no clue if they were the best owners on Earth but they didn't leave the birds to starve or anything
I dont know what kind of birds these are, in general birds need social partners. And while having 3 birds does keep them busy, they need more than that.

It's same with cats, even cats need additional stimuli to a feline friend. Feather plucking does indicate that the birds had stress/were in discomfort.

If you cant statisfy a birds need, dont get one.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I am still at loss as to why you asked your neighnour whether the bird is on sale.
You dont need more information. You feel guilty because your friend told you. Had she withdrawn that information from you, you wouldnt even think about it.

I dont know what kind of birds these are, in general birds need social partners. And while having 3 birds does keep them busy, they need more than that.

It's same with cats, even cats need additional stimuli to a feline friend. Feather plucking does indicate that the birds had stress/were in discomfort.

If you cant statisfy a birds need, dont get one.
If you want me to be honest, I did not want to text my neighbor for my friend. But my friend was freaking me out. At one point she texted me showing that she found out my neighbor's full name, place of work, etc. and it freaked me the fuck out. I texted in hopes of my neighbor saying "yes they're for sale" but that wasn't the case.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I tend to agree with others that if they got taken they were likely being abused. I'm sure it's similar to CPS where things have to meet a certain criteria before an action is taken. Likely, they saw neglect and then told them to take the pets to the vet. They likely then didn't.

I have a tale of two neighbors. My neighbor that was my friend, told me about how our other neighbor, her friend, was extremely depressed because her dog just died. I was a bit confused, because she had just lost a dog a few months back. And before that she had lost a dog about a year ago. So it was either really poor luck, or something was going on to have 3 dogs die in a year. She kept beating around the bush but I got my friend to admit that her friend thinks it was one of her pitbulls that was killing the other dogs. Her solution was to keep going to the pound and getting more dogs and internally she'd make excuses like "Well this one is a girl, or this one is much smaller and not a threat, or well the dog was already kind of sick anyway".

I was irate. She was basically murdering dogs as far as I could see it. But I didn't have any proof. I mean what can you even do? The pounds are so full and desperate they don't really look into owner's past, especially in a big city with multiple shelters.

Anyway, my friend was mad at me for being mad at her friend and made me swear I wouldn't say anything.

Thankfully, it didn't matter. Both of my neighbors (my ex friend too) moved shortly after that conversation and I don't speak to either of them but it still pisses me off.

All that said, it was still a betrayal by your friend assuming your friend didn't see things you were choosing to ignore.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I feel like I'm being selfish but again all my friend had to go on was one bird was missing feathers. I checked the birds here and there for a couple of weeks and they were feeding them every day and cleaning the cages. To me they did not seem like they were on the verge of death. My neighbors have owned these birds for 10 years. My friend saw them 1 time, 1.5 months ago. Anyways, I'm still trying to find out what happened during the investigations. And there's a proper way to go about it without putting me in a bad position, which she did.
Its none of your business.

Animal Control decided that, nothing you can do will change their decision because their investigayion lead to the animals being taken, not your friends call.

Birds are highly sensible. Plucking feathers are a huge red flag. If the neighbours child would pull out all its hair, would you shrug it off and say well the child is fed? What about cats that have blank spots due to stress? Its the same kind of stress relief.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I tend to agree with others that if they got taken they were likely being abused. I'm sure it's similar to CPS where things have to meet a certain criteria before an action is taken. Likely, they saw neglect and then told them to take the pets to the vet. They likely then didn't.

I have a tale of two neighbors. My neighbor that was my friend, told me about how our other neighbor, her friend, was extremely depressed because her dog just died. I was a bit confused, because she had just lost a dog a few months back. And before that she had lost a dog about a year ago. So it was either really poor luck, or something was going on to have 3 dogs die in a year. She kept beating around the bush but I got my friend to admit that her friend thinks it was one of her pitbulls that was killing the other dogs. Her solution was to keep going to the pound and getting more dogs and internally she'd make excuses like "Well this one is a girl, or this one is much smaller and not a threat, or well the dog was already kind of sick anyway".

I was irate. She was basically murdering dogs as far as I could see it. But I didn't have any proof. I mean what can you even do? The pounds are so full and desperate they don't really look into owner's past, especially in a big city with multiple shelters.

Anyway, my friend was mad at me for being mad at her friend and made me swear I wouldn't say anything.

Thankfully, it didn't matter. Both of my neighbors (my ex friend too) moved shortly after that conversation and I don't speak to either of them but it still pisses me off.

All that said, it was still a betrayal by your friend assuming your friend didn't see things you were choosing to ignore.
If something like that was happening I wouldn't even give a fuck about what my neighbor thinks, that's disgusting. But in this case I even made a thread about this a while back and a lot of ppl let me know that missing feathers does not necessarily equate to being in an environment that should involve Animal Control. And again, there's a way to go about it without putting me in a shitty situation, and currently I'm still trying to find out the details of the investigation.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Its none of your business.

Animal Control decided that, nothing you can do will change their decision because their investigayion lead to the animals being taken, not your friends call.

Birds are highly sensible. Plucking feathers are a huge red flag. If the neighbours child would pull out all its hair, would you shrug it off and say well the child is fed? What about cats that have blank spots due to stress? Its the same kind of stress relief.
It is my business. Animal control told my neighbors that the person who called was "a neighbor's guest" and it made it ridiculously obvious that the neighbor is me. I want to know what happened during the investigation.

And because they KNOW I'm the neighbor, I'm scared they'll retaliate in some way or another.

it absolutely is my business.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
I think you just need to talk to your neighbors. I understand anxiety, but you gotta realize it's either being in constant worry of confrontation or just talking to them.

I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but I hope it's helpful hearing that you just have to make a choice and deal with those consequences. Choosing worry isn't wrong. I'd say it isn't ideal, but it doesn't make you a bad person. But I would urge you to just talk to them if you can get yourself there.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your friend isn't a great friend in this situation. Look, even if she did the right thing in a broad sense, she did it all using you as the fall guy.

She used you to talk to the neighbors and then she let you take the fall for her calling animal control. If she were a friend, then maybe she still does the right thing, but approaches the neighbor herself. Or lets the neighbor know that she called animal control.

That's the least that a friend should do. Put themselves on the line for their convictions. Doing that to someone else is both easy and cruel.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I am a humane law enforcement officer.

I don't know how that particular agency performs their checks but typically a first visit will involve confirming the welfare of the animal and speaking to/educating owners. As many have said here, we don't wanna take your animals away. If animal control visited several times, it's possible that they may have mandated vet care that the owners failed to do and so seized the bird. Or hell, maybe the owners decided the bird was too much for them so they surrendered it willingly. Right now all you have is speculation, but the one thing I can say for sure is that pets are considered property legally so if animal control took the bird for no reason at all they're gonna be liable for a real fun lawsuit.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
If something like that was happening I wouldn't even give a fuck about what my neighbor thinks, that's disgusting. But in this case I even made a thread about this a while back and a lot of ppl let me know that missing feathers does not necessarily equate to being in an environment that should involve Animal Control. And again, there's a way to go about it without putting me in a shitty situation, and currently I'm still trying to find out the details of the investigation.
Necessarily doesnt mean its not a sign of. If in doubt always call animal control. Its an an innocent animal that could be suffering.
It is my business. Animal control told my neighbors that the person who called was "a neighbor's guest" and it made it ridiculously obvious that the neighbor is me. I want to know what happened during the investigation.

And because they KNOW I'm the neighbor, I'm scared they'll retaliate in some way or another.

You dont even know if they meant your friend. I am assuming you have more than one neighbour. They dont know, they might guess but that's it.

And to be fair if I worked for animal control i would never give a different response than neighbours guess (anonymous report is basically a neighbours guess too) because you dont want owners to think it was the vet or any specific person.

if they should ever bring it up you could say that you were interested in getting a bird yourself but eventually decided not to because of longterm costs (vet, food etc.).

If you really wana know, go to the animal shelter and ask. They will tell you its none of your business. With some luck your neighbours will find out and think it confirms their suspicions. Any way you go from here to obtain more information will make you look and feel guilty.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
If your neighbour was abusing the birds, Fuck your neighbours feelings. You don't owe them nothing.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I dont know, i have birds and if i let them inside their cage for a long time they throw a fit and start "singing", also adopted a bird that was stressed by being in a tiny cage (she was owned by old folks that had the bird in a tiny metal cage idea), and she has a bald spot in her head, she seemed really scared for a long time, but now she seems fine and enjoys doing stuff, none of my birds pluck their feathers but enjoy destroying toys and flying around the house.
Sounds to me like animal control was onto something.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

None of that makes it your business, or really even a problem at all. Animal control shouldn't have said that but it's an extremely minor issue in comparison to birds being neglected. Which they almost certainly were, as animal control have limited space and are open to lawsuits and don't just take peoples animals for nothing.

If they come back and apologise and say nothing was wrong and give the birds back you can complain that they got you in trouble with your neighbour for nothing.

But if they don't and the birds really do need care, nothing bad happened here

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If the birds were being neglected your friend did the right thing while you hesitated.

Animal control don't just take animals away for no reason. I would imagine.

I don't see your problem, personally. So what if your neighbour thinks badly of you if they were neglecting animals to the point they had to be taken, and your friend did the right thing it seems.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
That friend is a piece of garbage I'd ditch them. Also if they were gonna "free them" they'd have been dead likely by morning, a week at most between, predators, vehicles powerlines not knowing how or what to eat etc. A caged bird is not a wild one to be set free...

Also what kinda of birds were these? Could they have been an illegal breed? Wild and not allowed in capitivity such as maybe ravens or owls?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That friend is a piece of garbage I'd ditch them. Also if they were gonna "free them" they'd have been dead likely by morning, a week at most, between, predators, vehicles powerlines not knowing how or what to eat etc. A caged bird is not a wild one to be set free...

Also what kinda of birds were these? Could they have been an illegal breed? Wild and not allowed in capitivity such as maybe ravens or owls?
If animal control took them then they did the right thing, it seems. Calling their friend a piece of garbage is wild.

And saying they want to set them free is very different to actually doing it.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
If animal control took them then they did the right thing, it seems. Calling their friend a piece of garbage is wild.

And saying they want to set them free is very different to actually doing it.
Nah they are. They didn't care about OP's feelings,or request in dealing with their neighbour, nor the consequences in Op's life only what they wanted and why they wanted it. Its caused undue stress and the OP said he felt the birds were not being abused and being taken care of. The friend likely believes no bird should be caged, but thats not their decision for other people. This "friend" has now caused tension between Op and their neighbour and just strolls away not having to deal with the aftermath. Thats a piece of garbage.

Last edited:

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah they are. They didn't care about OP's feelings,or request in dealing with their neighbour, nor the consequences in Op's life only what they wanted and why they wanted it. Its caused undue stress and the OP said he felt the birds were not being abused and being taken care of. The friend likely believes no bird should be caged, but thats not their decision for other people. This "friend" has now caused tension between Op and their neighbour and just strolls away not having to deal with the aftermath. Thats a piece of garbage.
So the birds should continue to live in potential abuse because it might cause someone to not like OP? That's some weird logic.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
You might be right on the money though I'm obviously biased. When she was explaining herself she told me that when she was a little kid she had birds that she neglected and she feels guilt and seeing these birds made her want to save them to absolve the feeling of guilt.

Ok that's kinda weird. At least so far as doing something for these birds won't make it up to the birds she used to have, the logic reminds me of a tv show villain that hurts a bunch of people then does one good thing for an entirely different character and is instantly redeemed lol.

I agree with the people saying to talk to your neighbors. Even if you get yelled at or cursed out it's better than living in paranoia. You probably shouldn't have sent that text to them if you didn't want to be involved, but now that you feel implicated you can maybe clear up that your friend reported them with no input from you. And also maybe get info on why they were taken away/the investigation.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Even after the latest explanation I still don't understand what the point of asking the neighbors if the birds were for sale.

So your friend doxxes the neighbor, and your reaction was to ask the neighbor if the birds were for sale?

What was that trying to accomplish? Were you going to buy the birds then give them to your friend to try to calm her down?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
None of that makes it your business, or really even a problem at all. Animal control shouldn't have said that but it's an extremely minor issue in comparison to birds being neglected. Which they almost certainly were, as animal control have limited space and are open to lawsuits and don't just take peoples animals for nothing.

If they come back and apologise and say nothing was wrong and give the birds back you can complain that they got you in trouble with your neighbour for nothing.

But if they don't and the birds really do need care, nothing bad happened here and you need to thank your friend for being so observant

How is it not a problem or the OP's business if the OP's neighbours retaliate somehow lol

Their friend totally put them in the crosshairs in an unnecessary way!

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility, Antagonizing Another Member Over Multiple Posts
As usual the OP is a total nut, but era treats them with their current standards like their normal people. Shock!

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Lets look at the facts:
1. Animal Control actually took the birds.
AC won't do this as their first go to option. As many people have already posted they talk to the owners and inform/educate them on how to better care for their pet. If that is neglected over multiple times then they resort to taking away the pets. However, this is usually done if they have to.

2. OP hasn't talked to the friend about this or even asked them what they said to AC.
OP we know you are angry at your friend but that anger may be misplaced. Try to calm down and text your friend. This will hopefully let you understand the situation better.

3. OP is afraid of their neighbors.
OP is there a reason for this or are you just thinking they will do something?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If the birds are in a better place, it is a positive outcome, but she definitely threw you under the bus, especially if she kept calling and directly identified you after you confronted her about it. So you are right to be mad.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
OP, Go outside and tell your neighbours the story. Best case scenario they will understand. Worst Case is they will ignore you but either way. You tried. Otherwise you will have to live that shitty situation from now on. Go now and clear the air. It's the simplest solution.

Aya

I think you should have updated your original thread. Many people don't know how the story initially unfolded and respond based mostly on how it ended - "AC took my neighbour's birds due to complaints made by my friend behind my back". Sounds reasonable enough, no? she did the right thing. Sounds less reasonable when you know the whole story, especially the part where this friend of yours basically set you up and made you responsible for this mess. If she had a problem with it, she should have done it anonymously, without sending you there under false pretences and drawing a target on your back.

LE. You could ask a mod to fuse this thread with the original one. Just a thought.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
How is it not a problem or the OP's business if the OP's neighbours retaliate somehow lol

Their friend totally put them in the crosshairs in an unnecessary way!

Do we have anything to say they're in the crosshairs? If they retaliate sure but that's very unlikely based off what we know alone. Really it would be animal controls fault if that happened for saying who it was, still nothing to do with the friend. All the friend did was get worried about animals and call the appropriate authorities - and the fact the birds were taken proves this is exactly what they should have done. The hiding it was weird as fuck and makes them a bad friend but remains a lot better than not doing anything if the birds were in bad health. Until we have something to suggest the neighbours are violent or want to retaliate in some way, OPs vague worry that this might happen is irrelevant and the birds will always be more important.

Unless OP comes in here and says they have a history of fucking with people and he has legitimate reason to worry. If that happens I'll eat my words and apologise. Without that it's not a realistic thing to worry about

Last edited:

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like your friend has left you in an uncomfortable situation, which sucks, but AC likely wouldn't have taken the birds if they didn't have a good reason to. In which case, your friend did the right thing, but went about it the wrong way.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes, it feels like OP is scared of their neighbour for some reason. "I'm afraid they'll retaliate" ? What the hell, this isn't a concern unless these guys are nutjobs.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Your friend is not your friend

other than that I don't know what else to say

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, this is a shitty ass friend OP, so I feel for you. The "friend" lied to the OP and probably could have contacted Animal Control in a way without having it clearly pointing at the OP.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like your friend did the right thing here. You should be proud of them.

Also your neighbor can't be mad at you, you didn't do anything. You can clear that up pretty easily with a conversation if it comes to it.

But it sounds like maybe you have some issues communicating since you can't even talk to your friend right now?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
All the friend did was get worried about animals and call the appropriate authorities - and the fact the birds were taken proves this is exactly what they should have done.

No that's not all they did.

The friend badgered the OP into texting their neighbour to ask if the birds were for sale, and then told animal control they were their friend.

They didn't need to do any of that! They could have made a complaint more discreetly and they could have let the friend know what they were doing beforehand.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume they made the right call if Animal Control determined that there was abuse or neglect happening, but yeah, that's definitely very strange behavior on the friend's part. If the birds were outside, I would have told Animal Control that I saw them when I was on a walk or something. Not really sure what they were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.