• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Been watching a bunch of movies during this quarantine and holy hell, this was such a fantastic film. Dafoe of course is just incredible. I'm still confused but I loved it.

I think my favorite scene is everyone's favorite. Don't like his cooking? Get a curse cast on ye.

They're both crazy right? I see it as Winzslow is slowly losing it the entire time Thomas is basically messing with him. Tommy is getting fed up with being stuck here, missing his relief, missing a woman's company, hating the food, and still plunging further into the mystery of that light of the lighthouse. The final scene is just incredible. I'm still not even sure if what we see is actually happening, in their head, or the small little island/rock is just some cosmic horror portal.

This is my favorite shot in the whole movie. Half way through the movie, Winszlow is just losing it. Seeing the mermaid, wanting to sleep with her and trying to masturbate but seeing that gross sea imagery, thinking of killing Thomas, stuck a the lighthouse for week and then the ledger. Makes me think Thomas has done this before, drive people to insanity while pocketing their earnings but his insanity is kept in check by his station. It's not until Winzslow challenges his authority that hell breaks loose. I'm still not even sure why Winzslow screams at the end. Was it really salvation? Was he the fallen angel when he sleeps off the ladder? Or was he just angry that the light is just that? Did he look into the light and see nothing or did he see some lovecraftian horror or tentacle like when he spied on Thomas?

1wMXtXk.gif

That's it for my rambling. I'd love to read some opinions/explanations from others on Era.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
my #1 movie of last year. just an absolutely incredible film.

i love the theories regarding Thomas being proteus and Winslow being prometheus especially.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't really thought of it since it first came out, I should really give it another watch. I don't know Greek mythology very well, so I should really find some analysis of the film from a mythological perspective, that closing Prometheus shot was fucking incredible.

I recall leaving the theater thinking that perhaps the entire film might just be going on Winslow's head. Not sure what the basis for that was, though perhaps that is just a kneejerk interpretation due to the madness in the film.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I truly lost my mind when Pattinson stepped over Dafoe and said "now roll over."

While I truly do not see what everyone sees in The VVitch I found The Lighthouse to be such an audacious and bold film.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Theres a few references to Greek myths iirc. One that comes to mind is bringing the oil up the lighthouse and then back down is reminiscent of Sisyphus and rolling the stone up hill

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen it the other day too, and yes, what a fantastic film. I think that in movies like this a lot of the imagery is a reflection of the mental state of the characters, or a philosophical metaphor (like the mentioned Proteus / Prometheus) and does not necessarily have a diegetic answer that the director wanted to make clear.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It was the best film of last year.

I think about it at least 2-4 times a day. Still.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I was pretty surprised how much (farts) I liked this movie. Pattinson does an excellent job going crazy and (farts) Defoe is awesome as always. Highly (farts) recommended. Loved the ending!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That final shot of Winslow peering into the light is the best cinematic portrayal of "person sees cosmic horror and their mind shattering" I've ever seen and this wasn't even a cosmic horror film.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
pattinson was channeling his inner daniel day lewis with this movie---i didn't know he had those kinda chops in him. Really handled himself opposite of Defoe

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I truly lost my mind when Pattinson stepped over Dafoe and said "now roll over."

While I truly do not see what everyone sees in The VVitch I found The Lighthouse to be such an audacious and bold film.

Same here. I like The Witch on a technical level but I wasn't as interested. The Lighthouse though, really grabs you.

my #1 movie of last year. just an absolutely incredible film.

i love the theories regarding Thomas being proteus and Winslow being prometheus especially.

I caught that with the ending. I didn't even think of Proteus but that led me to these two sites and just further drives home how it wore down people who worked in lighthouses.

The history of the American lighthouse is a history of calamity, insanity, and, in at least one case, cannibalism. After what the captain later described as a period of "mature consideration"—not, it would appear, an especially long period—the men made the carpenter's raw flesh into sandwiches, using seaweed for bread. They ate so ravenously that the captain had to ration the meat.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like it that much. I usually like abstract works like this but it feels a bit too much for me, a bit too cruel for my tastes at times. It's cool how there are some theories about the story though, I'll have to check those out to see if it helps to frame the story better for me.

Probably also because it's one of those movies I should watch by myself instead of with others. You need to contemplate the scenes a bit, and it's hard to do that with other people sometimes who see things differently.

It might also be expectation going into the film. I wasn't expecting the film to go the way it did. I might have to rewatch when I'm alone and reframe my mind to see it in the sort of horror/cosmic horror way, as I usually like that kind of stuff too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Had to read a bunch of "what it really meant" post-mortems, but it was about

A. ) a Prometheus and Proteus allegory

B. ) masculinity, with both protags trying to make the other "the wife"

C.) Sisyphean punishments

collider.com

The Lighthouse Ending Explained: Myth Gets Fed to the Birds

Robert Eggers' wild black-and-white sea-drama The Lighthouse has a perplexing ending, but we've tried out best to explain.

film.avclub.com

The Lighthouse’s Robert Eggers: “Nothing good happens when two men are trapped in a giant phallus”

Eggers talked to us about folklore, Willem Dafoe’s monologues, and how seagulls are smarter than you think.

Jarlaxle

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot going on in the movie and lots of ways to interpret it. The Proteus and Prometheus thing is the easiest to see. I like to think there is only one person on the island. Could be Hell or Purgatory. Pattinson sleeps mostly on the left side but one time is sleeping in the other bed. They're both named Tom. Defoe tells Pattinson that it was him chopping up the lifeboat. Defoe usually smokes the pipe while Pattinson smokes the rolled up cigarette but at one point it switches. Their shared love of alcohol. Lots to take in. Great movie.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
When I see Batman I'm just going to keep thinking about Pattinson going ham on a fucking seagull

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another movie I guess I'll track down to watch right now. I just finished Swallow, at the recommendation of a thread on this forum from several hours ago, and I felt very disappointed. Hopefully this movie is much better .

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Beautifully shot and acted film, the storyline lost me somewhere though.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My friend and I loved this. I wanted to know, will this be getting a 4K digital release, in Australia especially? Normally I go for disc, but I have a Galaxy Tab Pro S with a gorgeous high-resolution 4:3 OLED screen, which seems to me like the best way to watch this specific film at home.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this a couple days ago and I have no idea how to fell. I wasnt expecting to see Edward Cullen beat off multiple times.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
My favorite film last year, was so good. I am partial to the theory that the both characters are one of the same and they live in purgatory.

Dec 11, 2019
After the glowing reviews, I went in expecting to see two men enveloped by cosmic horror fall into madness. What I got was some memorable cinematography and tremendous acting. But I couldn't help but feel that I'd been somewhat short changed on the cosmic horror that reviews had promised. Yes, there were smatterings throughout, but those simply couldn't live up to the horrendous nightmares that my imagination was conceiving. I'd have probably enjoyed it a more if it weren't for reading the reviews beforehand.

Still a phenomenal piece of cinema though and one of the best experiences of 2019.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that it was the first black and white movie that the MPAA ever rated ARRRRRRRR!!!

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I watched it I was really tired and started dozing in and out and I felt like Willem Dafoe was tormenting me.

Seaman

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain the ending to me? I watched it and I'm a total idiot that do not understand what was real or not at the end.