• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I should finish this game, but my Vita has gone kaput. I think it might be cross-buy with PS4 though. Made it an hour or two in before I got distracted by other games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't know what pact with the devil Toby Fox made to be so talented but his music is simply out of this world. He would be one of my favorite composers of all time if that was all he did; the fact that he also does everything else is just... I have no words.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Celeste has a great chip-tune soundtrack, and the B-side versions are even better. It's definitely on the slower/lo-fi side compared to Undertale though.

Almost all the Street Fighter games had amazing soundtracks. SF2 being the standard.

Streets of Rage 2 is considered one of the best OSTs of its console generation. "Go Straight" still holds up.

Chrono Trigger is still the greatest of all time for me, though it is a much more orchestrated affair in most instances.

Based on your descriptions I'd say that the soundtrack from the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up game from a few years ago is what you want. The whole thing was done by Anamanaguchi. Just go listen to "Another Winter" and see if that fits your tastes.

This is OFF-Topic but your profile icon is absolutely hilarious. Please don't ever change it

ON-Topic: I'd say RocketsRocketsRockets has a great OST. Never got tired of it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I also really miss this, OP. I fucking hate video game music trying to be movie music. This shit has been going on for years. It is completely lost on video games. At least hire composers that can write a tune.

XCom 2's DLC expansion on PC added a soundtrack evocative of the original and it definitely scratches that 90's video game music itch.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
You can have your pick of any Kirby game that isn't named Squeak Squad, OP. I love those Kirby sounds, particularly Nightmare in Dreamland and Crystal Shards.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Lots of great suggestions here. I'll add Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon as a good NES-style soundtrack.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
If you wanna hear what a lot of Undertale's motifs draw on, you should listen to Touhou music.
Like many series fans, you could just listen to the music and not actually play the games, though I highly recommend checking them out.

Last edited: