• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
On X1x the game is unplayable for me (I'm being hyperbolic) because every time I die the reload is like over a minute and I like to play games like this on harder difficulties. Makes learning the combat take forever. I'm going to wait to get it on series when I can find one.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently replaying this on PS5 at sweet 60fps. Such a great game, and I imagine the sequel will be even better.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
On X1x the game is unplayable for me (I'm being hyperbolic) because every time I die the reload is like over a minute and I like to play games like this on harder difficulties. Makes learning the combat take forever. I'm going to wait to get it on series when I can find one.
Man, I can only imagine. I played it on the XSX and found the load times to be quite long from time to time. Figured it must be terrible on the old gen

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game I freaking loved it. The final act and ending are top notch. Loved the characters and loved the story they've set up.

Playing on a base PS4 was rough.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
game is great!! the next one is one of my most anticipated sequels :)

i heard it runs great on Ps5, so i'm gonna go for the platinum.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I started it and played for two hours or so but to me it seemed very archaic and by the numbers in many ways.
Might try again and continu but i wasn't terribly impressed.

Loved Titanfall 2.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just finished it on base ps4. I haven't seen performance that bad in a while. The game never completely quit on me, but there were a ton of ~5 second freezes, textures that never loaded and even sudden loss of collision detection.

Combat never quite clicked for me. I was replaying God of War just before starting this, and I rarely got frustrated at that game when I died, unlike with FO. Even on the equivalent of normal difficulty, I kept screwing up parrying and evading.

Planet hopping took me back to the good old days of KOTOR 1/2, and I think they did a great job on some of the environments. I did wish for a fast travel system a few times when I wanted to return to an area to chase an unexplored path only to get confused over how to get from the ship to there.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I absolutely loved this game. It was my GOTY in 2019. I can't wait to build my new PC so I can bump everything up to max settings and play through it again.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just finished this on series x, played on game pass, ultimately glad I gave it a go but equally glad I didn't buy it.

To me this game is such a 7/10. Everything is decent, but nothing really excels and is exceptional.

My favourite parts of the story were
the order 66 bit with your mentor and recruiting Merrin.

Ultimately though the story again just kind of shallow. It left me wishing we would get a star wars rpg. Better story, better characters etc.

But yeah, decent for a contemporary star wars game but do not see the goty hype it got from some places.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I absolute love Star Wars and love 3 person action adventure games with focus on storytelling.
Played this game in release date but apart from some boss battles I really think that is a incredible average game.
I was really disappointed with the game.
I thought levels really uninspired , combat very clunky at times and level design and enemy design really boring.
I also think that souls like doesn't suit well to Star Wars universe.
I would have preferred a more traditional Game a la uncharted or even A semi open world like god of war.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it on base ps4. I haven't seen performance that bad in a while. The game never completely quit on me, but there were a ton of ~5 second freezes, textures that never loaded and even sudden loss of collision detection.

Combat never quite clicked for me. I was replaying God of War just before starting this, and I rarely got frustrated at that game when I died, unlike with FO. Even on the equivalent of normal difficulty, I kept screwing up parrying and evading.

Planet hopping took me back to the good old days of KOTOR 1/2, and I think they did a great job on some of the environments. I did wish for a fast travel system a few times when I wanted to return to an area to chase an unexplored path only to get confused over how to get from the ship to there.
so, I played the game on base PS4 and had the exact same experience about the performance and combat. It never felt right and I had a hard time with it.

On PS5, it's a different story. I'm replaying on the toughest difficulty and it just feels really good. Not sure if it's the 60fps or something else, but it's a new game.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I absolute love Star Wars and love 3 person action adventure games with focus on storytelling.
Played this game in release date but apart from some boss battles I really think that is a incredible average game.
I was really disappointed with the game.
I thought levels really uninspired , combat very clunky at times and level design and enemy design really boring.
I also think that souls like doesn't suit well to Star Wars universe.
I would have preferred a more traditional Game a la uncharted or even A semi open world like god of war.

I agree with a lot of this. I enjoyed the souls like initially but it wears off quick. There obviously isn't any variation in weapons and the shortcuts and stuff feel barely worthwhile when exploring. I enjoyed defecting bolt lasers back at stormtroopers quite a bit but I found all other combat encounters get pretty repetitive quick.

The boss battles were generally the best parts of the game.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I agree with a lot of this. I enjoyed the souls like initially but it wears off quick. There obviously isn't any variation in weapons and the shortcuts and stuff feel barely worthwhile when exploring. I enjoyed defecting bolt lasers back at stormtroopers quite a bit but I found all other combat encounters get pretty repetitive quick.

The boss battles were generally the best parts of the game.
Totally agree.
if it wasn't for the boss battles I would really consider a bad game.
I also consider that as a Star Wars game it lacks the set pieces that would make the game more memorable.
and as I said before, the level design and enemy design are trul uninspired.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few AAA games that should be right up my alley, that I didn't enjoy very much. Melee combat was wanna be garbage, it was unpolished for a game of its kind and loading times were atrocious when I played it. It was good enough for me wanting to find out how it ended but I played it on super easy, not just easy, because I was so annoyed.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is a good game, i think it has too much filling and backtracking, it could have been better shaving off some of that to make it tighter. Still the best star wars game since Mass Effect 1.

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Fallen Order and honestly is impressive how much they nailed the soulsvania approach. The map can be a bit fiddly but overall the combat and exploration are great. But also, man this is one of the best pieces of star wars media ever. Great story and amazing use of the licence. I need a sequel.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just beat Fallen Order and honestly is impressive how much they nailed the soulsvania approach. The map can be a bit fiddly but overall the combat and exploration are great. But also, man this is one of the best pieces of star wars media ever. Great story and amazing use of the licence. I need a sequel.

I pretty much disagree on all of this. I also literally just rolled credits half an hour ago.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
And thats fine.
I played it in jedi master and just felt the combat really gained some more depth that way. As for everything else, we will agree to disagree.

Combat is just far to repetive, im not sure what they could have done given you obviously have to only use a lightsabre, but I would have just loved more variety.

I literally know nothing about star wars lore, are there no light saber whips or light saber axe type stuff?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is weird, definitely needs some getting used to. Seems like there is a delay to parrying.

And I think all enemies attacks are drawing to you, so dodging sideways is usually not a good idea.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday after grabbing it for cheap ($14) on the EGS. Overall, it was ok (and I really liked some parts), but there's some pretty big caveats to me liking it.

First, had some pretty terrible performance issues. Rocking a 1080ti and an OC'd 2700, although I am running on a 1440p Ultrawide, and while generally the game performed around 70fps+ at all times, I had extreme stuttering issues that just didn't go away no matter what I did. It was installed on an SSD at all times, and even tried moving it to some of my faster drives, and it didn't fix it. It would run fine, and then randomly drop to 40-55 fps, then shoot back up to 70+, and this felt AWFUL.

I also felt like the combat was pretty "eh", and it never really clicked to me. It felt so SLOW at times, and so damn deliberate, which made encounters a chore. It also didn't help that stuff like popping a stim would fail half the time (I'd even get the audio prompt from Cal, but BD-1 wouldn't actually stim me), and this got me killed constantly (understandably, I shouldn't be needing to pop stims so often, but between the stiff combat and the performance issues, I was needing to use them as a crutch). It also didn't help that dodging felt completely useless at points (as noted by tiebreaker above). In addition to feeling like you're in molasses, it never feels like you dodge/roll far enough away, and attacks still hone in on you anyways. Parrying attacks is fine, but when I'm having to parry every damn attack that comes my way with the same combo every time, it got boring pretty quick.

Also, in the final actual boss fight, the dodging and stim issue got me killed at least half a dozen times, so redoing that damn fucking boss fight meant I was just pissed off and didn't give a shit at what happened afterwards. The few times the combat clicked felt awesome, and it was pretty sweet switching up force attacks with saber attacks and switching modes, but this happened far too few many times for me.

I also found the story stuff, while generally interesting (especially as I've gotten back into Star Wars, and am more interested in what happened around this time-frame), incredibly rushed at points. The relationship with Merrin came out of fucking nowhere, and I think for me, the Wanderer (and his final form) only showed up like 3 times in total in cutscenes, so his presence had no impact on me whatsoever. I'm not sure if I just played the game wrong, as maybe it expected you to planet hop a bunch, but I would generally go to a planet, complete it fully until I needed a new power/tool, move to the next story progression area, complete that until I couldn't anymore, and then go BACK to the previous planet to clean up what I could. I think the game maybe expected me to hop around more, so maybe there were more encounters that I just completely missed?

There were quite a few times where I'd get dialogue stuff that felt like it didn't realize I had already done something (lots of Greez telling me to go check out that big crashed ship on Zeffo when I already cleared it out, etc.). This brings me to another issue, which was just the general lack of polish. In addition to the audio issues (and the above mentioned stim issue), I just kept running into random bugs. Nothing serious, but definitely annoying. And while not a bug, not saving once I got INTO the ship is baffling. I understand there's a meditation spot on the ship, but come the fuck on! I lost like half an hour of just needing to re-traverse an area because I had cleared the mission at the end of the level, and then on my way back was getting all the extras/chests, made it to the ship, and was done playing for the evening, so I quit the game via the menu. Started it back up the next day, and I was all the way back at the end of the level, needing to do all that shit over. Can't even use the excuse that the game tried to be a Souls-like, as even Dark Souls lets you quit wherever the hell you want, and when you start, you're right back where you were at when you quit.

Blegh. I did enjoy a lot of the story beats themselves though, and I really liked the crew when they interacted with each other. Cal, Cere, and Greez (and BD-1!) were all awesome, and I'd definitely be interested in more stories with them. Cal and his master's relationship felt kinda rushed, but I enjoyed the scenes with them both that weren't the training sections. The game also looks absolutely gorgeous, and is a visual feast for the eyes at points. Definitely paused at a few spots in the game to just look around. The music is also amazing (not sure how much of it is just re-used Star Wars existing scores, but even the stuff that sounded new sounded great). Some of the non-Stormtrooper enemy designs were really nice as well (although I have no idea if most of them are original to this game, or if they already exist in the greater Star Wars canon). And of course, the stormtroopers, their variants, and stuff like the AT-ST's/AT-AT's that show up are a treat as well (and I especially loved the probe droids and their sound effects; Fantastic stuff!).

Definitely worth a play through if you're a Star Wars fan that wants more of the universe, and even for somebody that's just a casual fan, but I think a price point of ~$20 for the game is probably perfect right now, and I'm not sure I'd be as agreeable to it at a higher price (and again, this probably comes down to the technical issues I was having). I think, for me, I probably should have looked more into the PC version, as it seems the stuttering is widespread, so going with the PS4 version via PS5 BC sounds like it would have been more enjoyable for me.

It and The Mandalorian got me interested in Star Wars again though, so I also grabbed Squadrons in the sale as well. Gonna check that out next, and will probably go back and play through the Battlefront 2 campaign (I know that one seems to have been pretty poorly received, but I'm still interested in checking it out).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
People should be calling it a more frustrating Sekiro, with those loading times, glitches, odd level design choices, etc.

It's not bad, I'd be interested in a more polished sequel, but I'm legit not used to playing games this glitchy, and it looks rather blurry on my Series S.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
As unlikely as it is, I'd hope a sequel pretty much throws everything out lol. Ditch the souls lite stuff and new characters. The second thing definitely ain't happening unfortunately but I hope they change up the gameplay for the sequel.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Wow totally the opposite for me.
After a decent start i found it terrible.
Combat is really bad, not much moves, is all about the same moves over and over again, no real complexity in fights... its quickly boring, and most of the normal fights are lacking of the ability to have some kind of fire weapon, you usually have to just run over the enemies that are too far away...
Force powers are lacking too, and you cant even choose your path, light or dark side, as in most (if not all) previous games where you use a Jedi.
Story is very predictable and charaters are not interesting (I liked the mini robot though!), even Cal is not interesting, just another padawan like any others.
Maps complexity is ok, I liked they tried to connect everything like in souls games, is not that good, but at least is something.
Cant say anything about graphic because I played on series S where is clearly not optimized at all.

Still waiting for a real sequel to the great "Jedi Knights" series. Still the best about Action Jedi games.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Same. Not a huge SW fan but this game is a pleasant experience and is very accessible story-wise. The combat is fun, visuals are beautiful, characters playful. It's not going to blow anyone's socks off but it's excellent.
Fallen Order is easy to recommend for this reason. No matter how much or how little you care about Star Wars, it's an accessible game.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Played it on PS5 using the 60fps mode.

I really enjoyed the game. It has a very tangible sensibility of "this is a videogame', which I really love. The maps, the exploration, the combat, it was all well done. Definitely one of the better Star Wars experience this gen.

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing this and one thing I already don't like is that you have to repeat puzzle sections when you die and respawn.

This is one of these things that you should think through when you create a souls-like and add other stuff to it.

On the positive side I'm impressed by the cutscene direction and voice acting. It almost feels like an old Star Wars movie sequel we never got. They really nailed that and the atmosphere is great so far. Even though Cale is basically Luke.

Last edited:

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was enjoying it for a while, but gave up when when I encountered a bug that stopped me progressing. Tried about four times then just uninstalled it. Shame really as not had much else to play all year

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing it recently on PS5. I'm pleased I held off and am able to enjoy it at 60fps.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I'm playing this and Valhalla right now. Am I crazy to think that the combat in Valhalla is better? Moves feel weighty, block timing is clear, special moves/abilities are really cool. I'm struggling with the combat in Fallen Order. Doesn't feel like there's any weight to it. I'm finding enemies hard to hit because the character is floaty and lunges forward with each strike. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This is an ok game. Theres lot of good, but everything is kind of janky and clunky. There is moments of greatness but the whole thing feels like every aspect of the game just isn't quite there. Feels like a sequel could refine all the issues, they have an ok base to work with, but need to really fine tune every aspect to really make this a great game.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much better this game feels playing on the new consoles.

I'm not a 60fps snob by any means but for this game, the difference is HUGE.
100% agreed. It's weird. I'm choosing to play Miles on the 30FPS mode and even when I switch it to 60 to compare, I can obviously tell the difference but it doesn't MAKE much of a difference to me (does that make sense)?

Meanwhile games like Fallen Order and No Man's Sky feel completely new and fantastic at 60, and going back to compare on those games - let's just say I can't go back.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
100% agreed. It's weird. I'm choosing to play Miles on the 30FPS mode and even when I switch it to 60 to compare, I can obviously tell the difference but it doesn't MAKE much of a difference to me (does that make sense)?

Meanwhile games like Fallen Order and No Man's Sky feel completely new and fantastic at 60, and going back to compare on those games - let's just say I can't go back.

Oh it makes total sense. Fallen Order is a bit janky whereby contrast Spider-Man is a really smooth-playing 30fps. The framerate increase for Fallen Order makes it a much better playing experience.

I've opted for the diluted ray-tracing/60fps combo on Miles but honestly, those games play brilliantly at 30.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I had hoped for some sort of DLC, and was kinda sad they didn't have a more robust post launch content launch. I still need to go back and get the few collectibles I missed though

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Hey?! This game is pretty fucking sick. It's Sekiro, Uncharted, Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime all in one. I made it to the second planet and went to the second tomb, it felt like I was in a Zelda dungeon!

This game is tight, I'm having more fun playing this than my playthrough of Demon Souls. I love Zelda and Metroid, and combat is half-way decent. I'm thoroughly impressed so far.

The game is janky as hell, but it's fun. I made the switch from 30fps to 60fps on series x and its night and day. HUGE difference.

Also the beginning sequence is pretty shitty, game didn't really hit until I got to the first tomb on the first planet you land on.

To me it feels like a game from PS2/Xbox/GameCube gen. It's pretty refreshing actually.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing right now and enjoying it quite a bit but is there really no fast travel between rest points like in Sekiro???

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Played this after finishing sekiro. To be honest, I feel sekiro ruined it for me. Jedi Fallen Order felt like it could have done with more time in development. It was a bit buggy, the world design didn't really lend itself to being replayed (not enough short cuts unlike souls) and the combat felt slightly off. That said it was really solid building blocks for a sequel and probably the best star wars game for ages.

Sep 11, 2020
My biggest issue with the game, having recently finished the first quest in Kasshik, is that the Souls game mechanics don't make any sense here. In From Software games, the fact that bonfires make enemies respawn is justified by the world story. And, as others have said, you're able to teleport between bonfires, which makes back tracking easier.

In this game, you neither have that justification, nor the chance to use fast travel to move between meditation spots. So on top of being annoying, it just breaks inmersion.

I also wasn't a fan of how long it took for you to be able to open locked chests. I must have passed over a 12 of those, if not more, before I got the robot upgrade.

Combat is okay, but I'm not a fan of the attacks that you can't parry or block. Rather than giving you a red aura, just make different attacks damage your stance more or less and give them tighter windows to parry. Make it a risk-reward situation. Downright stripping you of using a mechanic that is so vital to the gameplay flow doesn't feel good IMO.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's OK.

The biggest issue is that it feels like it needed more time in the oven and it didn't need the whole Souls bonfire stuff. It's not that sort of game.

I, honestly, feel like a sequel would fix every issue, I doubt it will get one.

Another issue is that the story and characters are completeley forgettable because, if I remember, everything now has to fit into Star Wars Lore and, thus, it's all very tightly mandated what they can and can't do.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
it did feel rushed. certain things feel like they probably should have been cut/there are things that needed more time to be fleshed out. The "cinematic" parts of the bat creature boss fight are terribly executed. The main rewards for exploration being ponchos is also stupid.

the creature designs in general are really generic -- space frog/space goat/space spider/etc

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Played it on late December, beat it on Dec 31, and I'm still playing it (exploring all planets for the chests and secrets) in early January. I'm definitely going to play it again,

Played on: Started on One X, played 90% of it on the Series X, on an OLED display.

Impressions:

• I had NO IDEA this game was this good. Probably my best game of the last 2 years by itself, and definitely my favorite Star Wars game so far (finally surpassing KOTOR 1 and Republic Commando)
  • On the One X it was "OK" but on the Series X it was amazing. Zero load times, quick resume when resuming playing from other games, better performance, etc. A next gen patch would be optimal but as it is, it runs great. For those wondering: 60fps is pretty much locked in the series X, although I used the 30 fps option (performance mode was a bit blurry and 30 fps combat and traversal felt pretty good)
  • It kept getting better and better, the game felt like Ocarina of Time in Uncharted Metroid Prime Space with some Dark Souls idiosyncrasies. Felt very VERY good.
  • The actual voice acting/character performances and story is better than I could have expected. Shocking.
  • Graphics could be better in some locations Kashyyyk in particular looked muddy, low res and overall terrible, compared to Zeffo and Dathomir, but the art direction and overall style is fantastic.
  • Only had 2-3 glitches, nothing that prevented progress, seems like the game was very well patched after release.

I would give it a 9/10 on next gen hardware (probably on PC as well). I understand last gen had terrible load times and pop-in.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I completed it last night after having it on my list and game pass having it.

I was absolutely floored, loved it, it ends so strongly.

Agree with the op, one of the best games of the generation for me.

I struggled with the save system and level back tracking for a while as well as two boss fights but man it was incredible

Great game and great Star Wars story, glad its cannon.

I'll be day 1 on the sequel.

I was wondering why it didn't get so much praise on launch but I guess I benefited from patches and playing in performance mode on the new SX.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or i magically found the double edged lightsabre pieces ling on a table?? did i miss something?