• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Some great suggestions so far.

I would recommend Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Artemis (crime sci-fi, sane author as The Martian)

I thought Artemis had a really interesting idea and plot but the characterization of Jazz was soooooo bad. I feel like Weir totally missed the mark with that character and fell into so many tropes and really bad generalizations. I was almost cringing while reading it, and that is really hard to do with a book.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Let's see what I've got in my kindle here...

Legacy by Greg Bear: Interesting world where the only living creatures are entire biomes where everything living in it is just a part of the larger whole.

Fragment: Kind of a Jurassic Park-alike on an island full of ridiculously lethal and alien creatures.

Seveneves: Humanity has three years to get a self-sustaining population into orbit before the world is set on fire for 5000 years. Bleak as fuuuuuuuuck.

Anathem: I personally really enjoyed the book, but really like a good two-thirds of it are people standing in rooms debating philosophy. It goes places.

The City and the City: Not really sci-fi, but definitely the most speculative of speculative fiction. It's high concept as all hell, but it pulls it off remarkably well.

Snow Crash: OK, I haven't actually read it since high school, but I loved it.

Children of Time: Top contender for my favorite books I've read this past decade.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Arthur C. Clarke - Earthlight, Rendezvous with Rama, Childhoods End, The Fountains of Paradise (seriously, get on Clarke if you haven't)

Poul Anderson - Tau Zero

Robert A. Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
My girlfriend is reading some Clarke atm, and I'm kind of ashamed to say I've not read a single book of his. I watched Childhood's End the TV show, so I kind of spoiled the reveal of that one which is a shame... which one book of his stands out the most to you?

Let's see what I've got in my kindle here...

Legacy by Greg Bear: Interesting world where the only living creatures are entire biomes where everything living in it is just a part of the larger whole.

Fragment: Kind of a Jurassic Park-alike on an island full of ridiculously lethal and alien creatures.

Seveneves: Humanity has three years to get a self-sustaining population into orbit before the world is set on fire for 5000 years. Bleak as fuuuuuuuuck.

Anathem: I personally really enjoyed the book, but really like a good two-thirds of it are people standing in rooms debating philosophy. It goes places.

The City and the City: Not really sci-fi, but definitely the most speculative of speculative fiction. It's high concept as all hell, but it pulls it off remarkably well.

Snow Crash: OK, I haven't actually read it since high school, but I loved it.

Children of Time: Top contender for my favorite books I've read this past decade.
Thank you very much, noted all of these and will check them out!

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Most of what I can think of has been recommended already. I remember liking Foundation but im not sure how well it is as stand alone book since it's been nearly 20 years since I've read it. It has plenty of sequel books but I think I only read one other.

Guess I'll need to check out Hyperion after all the mentions here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I know you said no series but when you are in the mood, check out Hannu Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief Trilogy. First sci-fi writer since Banks I've been impressed by and the books are very quick reads too.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Spin.
Read it as a single book. The sequels aren't nearly as good, and also not needed.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And thanks to everyone, I'm making notes even if I don't reply to every post!

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Artemis had a really interesting idea and plot but the characterization of Jazz was soooooo bad. I feel like Weir totally missed the mark with that character and fell into so many tropes and really bad generalizations. I was almost cringing while reading it, and that is really hard to do with a book.

Yeah it was a clichefest but fine for a piece of genre fiction.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Anything space opera-y? I want a bit of space drama. x)

The Expanse (Corey), Old Man's War (Scalzi), Frontlines (Kloos) are all fantastic pop-sci space and are long series (Old Mans War is done, Expanse will be done this year, and Frontlines is on going). More of a focus on military (Scalzi and Kloos) but all of them are fantastic books. People are down on Ender's Game, especially because the author is scum, but I enjoyed the series a whole.

One off's? Armor (Steakley), Starship Troopers (Heinlein), The Forever War (Haldeman, ignore the rest in the series), Beacon 23 (anthology of shorts, Howey)

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Personal recommendation: Tuf Voyaging by GRRM.

It's a series of novellas but you can get them all in one book and there's a continuous story there with a property beginning and end.

I hear Heilein's stuff and Jack Vance's stories are good as is The Expanse.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Most of what I can think of has been recommended already. I remember liking Foundation but im not sure how well it is as stand alone book since it's been nearly 20 years since I've read it. It has plenty of sequel books but I think I only read one other.

Guess I'll need to check out Hyperion after all the mentions here.

The Foundation series (at least the original trilogy) is a classic. You can read the first book as a stand-alone but you would be missing out on the resolution which is ultimately what the series is about.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
ooooo going to come back to this thread later. I also just finished Dune and have been looking for more great sci fi. Dune was rad

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
220px-TSTRSMD1957.jpg

Space opera meets cyberpunk (despite being written several decades earlier than Neuromancer)

Wadatah

Aug 8, 2018
I'm going to echo a lot of the recs in this thread, because all of them are great. Hyperion, Snow Crash, and the Diamond Age are some of my favorites. I want to add The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. It's a time travel book that reads like Back to the Future Part 2 had a baby with the first season of True Detective and HP Lovecraft was it's babysitter. It's about this NCIS agent trying to solve a murder case. Turns out the Navy has had access to time travel for a while and regularly uses it in their investigations. I don't want to give anything away, but it really plays with time travel tropes in ways that are really disturbing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As the title says. I tried the Dune sequels years ago and, honestly, I like to consider the novel a single book.

I'm looking for something to read or listen to next.

I've read all Ian M Banks' Culture books, the books of Philp K Dick that I'm interested in, and a bunch more from other authors, but I know there are lots of sci-fi classics I've missed and plenty I should probably re-read.

So, if you could recommend ONE sci-fi book above all others (that wasn't written by the above two authors), which one would it be, and why?

Ben Bova= Mars Its a bit more 'hard' science

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
My girlfriend is reading some Clarke atm, and I'm kind of ashamed to say I've not read a single book of his. I watched Childhood's End the TV show, so I kind of spoiled the reveal of that one which is a shame... which one book of his stands out the most to you?

Rendezvous with Rama.

The sequels are bad, but there is no cliffhanger or anything that would make you feel like you need to read them.

If I were you I would just check out the overview of a bunch of his stuff and just pick one that appeals to you the most. Rama is about exploring an unknown alien technology, Earthlight is Moon/space settlement politics, The Fountains of Paradise is the construction of a space elevator. All good stuff.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your no-sequels rule is silly, and I shall disregard it.

Read Isaac Asimov's Foundation. If you get to the end of that and don't want more, you should stop reading that series, then stop reading scifi altogether.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also any Audio Books that are especially good that fit here!
I'm currently spending an hour every other day doing stretching and yoga, and I'd like to listen to something while I do it. So please recommend if you know of anything.

Ben Bova= Mars Its a bit more 'hard' science
Wonderful, listed, thank you very much.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Arthur C. Clarke - Earthlight, Rendezvous with Rama, Childhoods End, The Fountains of Paradise (seriously, get on Clarke if you haven't)

Poul Anderson - Tau Zero

Robert A. Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Rendezvous with Rama.

The sequels are bad, but there is no cliffhanger or anything that would make you feel like you need to read them.

If I were you I would just check out the overview of a bunch of his stuff and just pick one that appeals to you the most. Rama is about exploring an unknown alien technology, Earthlight is Moon/space settlement politics, The Fountains of Paradise is the construction of a space elevator. All good stuff.

You forgot to recommend Ubik...

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Your no-sequels rule is silly, and I shall disregard it.

Read Isaac Asimov's Foundation. If you get to the end of that and don't want more, you should stop reading that series, then stop reading scifi altogether.
I just don't want to be drawn into a long series, and I will be drawn in if I like the first book... I can't help it. And too many series drop off in quality, or have mid series slumps you have to wade though. Not really interested in that atm.

I guess if there's a shorter series and ALL the books are super high quality, I could go for it.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first two standalone books I could think of were Childhood's End and Children of Time. Both have been mentioned, so that's my answer.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
While not pure sci-fi, Kurt Vonnegut uses a lot of sci-fi elements in his work. Slaughterhouse-Five is my favorite book by a wide margin and I typically don't like fiction. Cat's Cradle is another good one.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Stories of your Life and Others is also a fantastic anthology of short stories if you want some quick material. There are hit and misses, mostly hits, but one of the shorts is the source material for The Arrival.

Highly recommend this one - it's great

Yeah super fun, quick read, and one of those mind-bending books that leaves you just stunned when it ends. Heads up his next book comes out June 11th!

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
While not pure sci-fi, Kurt Vonnegut uses a lot of sci-fi elements in his work. Slaughterhouse-Five is my favorite book by a wide margin and I typically don't like fiction. Cat's Cradle is another good one.
Really looking for sci-fi only atm, kind of on a kick.

And I've read SH5, really enjoyed it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
May I recommend The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe? This is only one novel, I just thought this image showed all the cool cover arts.

hMgLLsc.jpg

If that is cheating (as it is a collection of 3 inter-related Novellas), you could also give Peace a try.

I will recommend essentially Wolfe's entire bibliography, specifically Book of the New Sun. However, if you want to test his prose before you dive in, Fifth Head is a fantastic place to start.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Another vote for Hyperion + Fall of Hyperion. Although Hyperion can work a single book too. There are another two books in the series which are pretty divisive (I personally love them), you can read them if you are curious.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
May I recommend The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe? This is only one novel, I just thought this image showed all the cool cover arts.

hMgLLsc.jpg

If that is cheating (as it is a collection of 3 inter-related Novellas), you could also give Peace a try.

I will recommend essentially Wolfe's entire bibliography, specifically Book of the New Sun. However, if you want to test his prose before you dive in, Fifth Head is a fantastic place to start.
Those are so cool, if you like old sci fi book covers you should really check out this awesome set of postcards. I own it and have a bunch of them on my wall.

WSBVFP.jpg

WSBQ7Z.jpg

WSBdIm.jpg

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Embassytown, by China Mielville
My favourite sci-fi book. Mielville is known for creating super weird and imaginative worlds, and Embassytown is one of his best. If you like interesting, unique worlds that don't just use tired sci-fi cliches, then I'd definitely recommend it.

Silently and Very Fast, by Catherynne M. Valente
Valnete just simply writes incredible, super lyrical prose that's such a joy to read. Sci-fi isn't usually a place where you find good prose, but this is definitely a huge exception. Plus it's a novella, which means it's only about a hundred pages long, making it a very easy read that won't take forever to finish.

House of Suns, by Alastair Reynolds
Reynolds is easily one of the best hard sci-fi writers living today, and I think House of Suns is his best work. It's not as sciency and hard as his other works, but instead presents a very interesting and unique far future society that still somewhat stays within the bounds of science (no FTL travel, for example).

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula le Guin
Le Guin is one of fantasy/sci-fi's greatest writer, and The Left Hand of Darkness is pretty good. Technically it's part of a series, but as a story it's completely standalone, and tells a complete story.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The freeze-frame revolution by Peter Watts is nice. It's connected to other stories, but you can read it neglecting the others.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is classic and a real good short story.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Culture novels by Iain Banks are all stand-alone stories set in the same universe spanning thousands of years. The first 3 are the best.

A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge is amazing and works as a stand-alone novel. The sequel, A Deepness In The Sky, is also set like a thousand years before and is only loosely related, also works as a stand-alone novel. The direct sequel to AFUTD came many years later and I think you can ignore it, it was disappointing.

I struggled mightily with this book. I got a quarter of the way through before stopping. I was intrigued by the premise but it is definitely hard sci-fi.
I just read it a couple months ago and I would say it only gets really interesting and compelling in the back half. But i did enjoy it.

Oct 27, 2017
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is split up into 4 books, but it is really meant to be read as one. And if you combine them together they are all about as long as the first Dune book.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
OP said they were well versed in PKD, or else I would have listed a dozen and been yelled at for making too big of a list.

But yes, if anyone else reading this thread is also looking for good one-off sci-fi, Philip K Dick has plenty and Ubik is a great one to start with.

True, I missed that in the OP. For PKD it is easier to make a list of books to leave out.

Those are so cool, if you like old sci fi book covers you should really check out this awesome set of postcards. I own it and have a bunch of them on my wall.

WSBVFP.jpg

WSBQ7Z.jpg

WSBdIm.jpg

I didn't need to see this...