• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I wouldn't say it flies under the radar, it's pretty widely acclaimed, but I also know a lot of people who consider it hard to stomach/too depressing to finish so I think it ends up being more niche than you'd think it was. I actually liked season 1, but it's definitely not the strongest and it tonally may as well be a different show.

Personally I feel it's one of the best dramas to exist, even divorced from the "it's a cartoon about talking animals, but it's actually serious I swear!" thing. I haven't been as genuinely invested in a show since it ended, though I'm probably not going to watch it again for a LONG time (that last season took a lot out of me when it came out, it's too much man).

That said I still watch the Christmas episode every year ("A tree? INSIDE the house? Now I've seen everything!")

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Huh I guess I should try again. I think I stopped after a couple episodes because the comedy just wasn't really landing. I didn't know it got into some serious character writing, I thought it was mainly comedic.

I am intrigued.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Huh I guess I should try again. I think I stopped after a couple episodes because the comedy just wasn't really landing. I didn't know it got into some serious character writing, I thought it was mainly comedic.

I am intrigued.

see? That's exactly what i was refering to in the first page (doubt you read my post though, haha)

basically i always recommend people to at least get to season 2 where the real shit starts (it's already starting by the end of S1, but S2 is the real deal imo)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
All the praise the show gets is warranted; hell, it may fall short. Especially as someone with depression it's such a personal and cathartic show for me.

People that loved the show may want to watch "Crazy Ex Girlfriend", which also starts relatively unassuming (if pretty fun) but eventual touches upon similar themes with a caring, empathetic touch, especially on season 3.

I feel like this show flies under the radar a bit.

Well, it has it's own wikipedia page just for its awards:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
The ending for "Escape From L.A." will always haunt me. Not that I can relate or anything, but I mean if I were in Bojack's position
of having never completely gotten over someone even after several years, and then I messed up so badly with them that they tell me "...I will fucking kill you"?
Fuck, I can't even imagine. I doubt I'd be the same if that ever happened to me.

(I don't know if open spoilers are allowed, so I just thought I'd play it safe)

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes or so and thought it was fine, but it didn't really click. I'll probably revisit it in the distant future.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Bojack Horseman is an amazing show, but some characters really rub me the wrong way.
If it were just about Bojack, Diane and P.C, I feel like I would've enjoyed it a lot more.
Jokes and B plots overstaying their welcome (mostly stuff involving Todd, or that boar woman being WAY too talkative in the last season) really tested my patience.
I'm glad I stayed though, because every time the show stops trying to be funny, it's amazing and deep.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This show had so many great cut to credits music stings.

It was like the mission each season was to build up to episode 9

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Bojack Horseman is an amazing show, but some characters really rub me the wrong way.
If it were just about Bojack, Diane and P.C, I feel like I would've enjoyed it a lot more.
Jokes and B plots overstaying their welcome (mostly stuff involving Todd, or that boar woman being WAY too talkative in the last season) really tested my patience.
I'm glad I stayed though, because every time the show stops trying to be funny, it's amazing and deep.

Hey Todd is one of the only ace representation we have!

That and it was worth the 'No longer you have such an easy time succeeding, your white!' Joke at the end.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the best shows ever. Penultimate episode is a masterpiece.

Agreed on the first impression thing. I'm showing my gf soon and I've already told her we just need to power through the first half of season 1. Once the show finally clicks it's unbelievable how smart, well written, and hilarious it is. Such a gem of a show. I think every person who stuck with it long enough to 'get' it would find something to enjoy. They tackle so many topics very effectively.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally one of the best shows ever made.

The ending for "Escape From L.A." will always haunt me. Not that I can relate or anything, but I mean if I were in Bojack's position
of having never completely gotten over someone even after several years, and then I messed up so badly with them that they tell me "...I will fucking kill you"?
Fuck, I can't even imagine. I doubt I'd be the same if that ever happened to me.

(I don't know if open spoilers are allowed, so I just thought I'd play it safe)

One of the very few times a cartoon genuinely sent chills down my spine. You could FEEL that anger.

OP
OP
Sems4arsenal

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

I am intrigued.

I was legit about to do the same. It was just trying to be funny but it wasn't. The first season is mainly that but then once it hits its stride -- it's fantastic.

Also, shout-out to the music. Lots of great tracks were used throughout. Favorites are Parade and take me down easy.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first 3 seasons. Everything after that just felt super repetitive.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Honestly the most depressing thing I've ever seen. Probably don't watch it if you're sad. Or do like I did and watch it anyway even if you are sad, really delve into that sadness and swim around in it and soak it in so that when you're done and you bottom out, you can start creating upwards momentum out of it. Anyway, it's amazing. Highly recommended. It's also a safe way you can observe things very sad things that happen in life and how people can deal with them and how you can deal with them should they eventually happen.

Though, if you're not connecting with the material, it is just spiral sadness in different forms. That's a critique that's just true.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Just watched the final episode last week.
Legitimately one of the best animated shows I've ever seen. Top-notch writing and character development.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it all last year. It's a fucking brilliant show with so many human moments to connect with. I don't think I've ever wept as hard as I did during "The view from halfway down".

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Watched a few seasons a couple of years ago (I think I finished the one where Rami Malek's character is introduced) and it didn't click with me in the way I was hoping. Always heard about how maturely it tackled mental health issues and I'm not going to dispute that since I really can't remember all that much, but the main thing I took away from the series was how much of a twat BoJack is. Being depressed never felt like a justifiable excuse for any of his actions. Granted, I used to watch the show while exercising so it's not like I was 100% dialled in, and maybe I'll go back someday to find that I like it more, but at the moment I can't say that I did.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Still have no idea why people think season 4 was weak, when it was season 5 that felt most like a retread of everything that came before. The ending was also pretty weak, and that after the first half of season 6 probably being the strongest they've ever produced. Looking back on it now, after all is said and done it is a show i like a lot, but I'm not quite sure it was ever quite as deep of a depiction of depression as people make it out to be. Like I just think that the premise of bojack being a failed tv star (who is still rich enough to never have to work) isn't the greatest jump-off point for a show about depression and anxiety, since that is so far removed from the average viewers experiences.

If Tuca and Bertie can get like a few more seasons I have no doubts it is going to end up the better show.