• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Let's start with Dead Space.

This game itself is absolutely broken on PC, if you turn the Vsync on it will cause a ridiculous amount of input lag in both menu and gameplay, and it also locks the game at 30fps which is horrendous, the game is completely unplayable with Vsync on. ''So, just turn it off right?'' Well if you turn it off you get a flickering lighting bug in certain parts of the map as well as severe screen tearing, and even then the mouse sensitivity is still completely fucked. Playable, but fucked.
Is this still the best version of Dead Space? Of course, but it is far from ideal.

Dead Space 2 on the other hand plays just fine, the game itself doesn't have any issue on PC, actually it is pretty well optimized.
The Vsync locks the game at 30fps so I have to turn that off but that's it really. Fortunately turning it off doesn't cause any issues.
I was playing with high (best) setting in 1080p and the game stayed above 80fps for the most part, at one point it even go up to 640fps on my potato laptop (GeForce MX150) which is kinda amazing.

The problem I had with Dead Space 2 is that It won't even start at first.
I bought the game on Steam and for some reason it wants me to enter this serial code to activate the game. What year is it?
Ok, so I copy the serial number it told me to ''write down'' and then enter it in, guess what?

(Sorry for the blurry image this is not mine, I was too angry and confused to take a screenshot.)

jr6ymb6.png

So I tried again, and again, and again. Still the same message. So I click the ''Visit Support Website'' on the left and guess what? PAGE NOT FOUND! Thanks EA!

At this point I was pissed, I just want to play the game that I bought for, what's so hard about it?
So I ended up downloading a certain *cough* file online to bypass the DRM cause you know what? Fuck EA. I don't have time for their bullshit, and the game worked flawlessly after that.

Anyone here got the same issue with the Steam version of Dead Space 1 & 2, and why are these games so broken on PC?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space 1 was the first time I found out about the triple buffering app bundled in with rivatuner (d3doverrider). That was needed for vsync to not lock you down to 30fps. Not sure though how one would achieve this today without using that application.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I experienced the same thing with Dead Space 1 on Steam. VSYNC on ruins everything if you play with K&M. If you use a gamepad, it's playable.

Never had issues activating Dead Space 2 but I played it more than five years ago so I don't know now.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's been a few years but I don't recall having many issues with the origin releases.

Are they the same build or different? Anyone know?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With Dead Space 2, they also had this hysterical glitch where you'll get a fuckton of DLC(?) weapons for free right at the start of the game (in the first store), and if you pick them up you break the game on an encounter design level. Even if you like, get them from the store just to put them away in the safe, the moment you handle a gun its ammo starts to drop, so the game becomes easier.

There should be a mod to fix it out there.

Oct 28, 2017
Force vsync from nvidia control panel.
Regarding controls it's not the lag. Both games have negative aim acceleration, so the faster you try to twitch aim, the slower it gets.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's been a few years but I don't recall having many issues with the origin releases.

Are they the same build or different? Anyone know?
I think they're basically the same. You might not have noticed if you were playing with a gamepad since the negative acceleration issue mainly affects mouse aim.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
More people need to know about PC Gaming Wiki

There's a fix for the mouse acceleration issue, and as suggested there, try forcing Vsync in your graphics card control panel instead

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

There's a fix for the mouse acceleration issue, and as suggested there, try forcing Vsync in your graphics card control panel instead
Was about to recommend PC Gaming Wiki as well :P

Both Dead Space 1 and 2 run absolutely perfect on my computer after getting all of the janky stuff fixed through that website's recommendations. Give it a look, it has everything you need.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I played Dead Space 1 a few years ago on Origin and had no problems as far as I can remember. I wonder if it is just a steam issue.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Force vsync from nvidia control panel.

I tried but it didn't work for some reason...

Both games have negative aim acceleration, so the faster you try to twitch aim, the slower it gets.

Jesus is this some kind of joke?

Was about to recommend PC Gaming Wiki as well :P

Both Dead Space 1 and 2 run absolutely perfect on my computer after getting all of the janky stuff fixed through that website's recommendations. Give it a look, it has everything you need.

Thanks everyone for the help.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
With Dead Space 2, they also had this hysterical glitch where you'll get a fuckton of DLC(?) weapons for free right at the start of the game (in the first store), and if you pick them up you break the game on an encounter design level. Even if you like, get them from the store just to put them away in the safe, the moment you handle a gun its ammo starts to drop, so the game becomes easier.

There should be a mod to fix it out there.
That's not a glitch. That's just how they implemented it.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
That's not a glitch. That's just how they implemented it.
It's a bit off-topic, but I really hate that kind of DLC implementation. DLC items that are just dumped on the player as a "bonus", with no regard for whether or not the player actually wants to have them, and whether the player has long since completed the game or just started out after buying the whole thing.

I bought Just Cause 2 with a bunch of DLC as a package on sale, but ended up having to flat-out disable everything but the parachute reskins because the DLC items come with no prerequisites and completely kill any interest in progressing through the unlocks.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't finished DS2 but I remember both being good for me, but then I use a pad and always have vsync off and I never used the map since I've played them on console first.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I used Nvidia's adaptive VSync, I never use the in-game VSync options anymore. PC ports from the mid '00s to early '01s are sometimes iffy because they hail from a time when publishers thought that PC gaming was going to die so they put very little effort into the porting process.

Ben Ward

Developer at Supergonk
Verified
Feb 22, 2018
What vsync actually does is synchronise the game's update to your screen update. If you turn on vsync and it runs at 30hz it's because your display is only running at 30hz. You're specifically asking the game to sync to your display and then getting mad when it does the exact thing you asked it to do. The solution for you is to get your display updating at 60hz or higher. Hunt around in your graphics card and/or monitor settings and make sure things like resolution are set to something like 1920x1080@60hz or 1920x1080@144hz (but not 1920x1080@30hz). Admittedly this is super annoying to do on Windows as all the settings are all over the place, so it needs some hunting down. Hope that helps.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Dead Space 2 runs perfectly on PC for me.

But Dead Space 1 is really in need of a remaster.

The mouse controls are fucking garbage.

Wate

May 22, 2019
The thing I always remember from the first game on pc was that I had to wait to run it at 60fps until after the first necromorph encounter, because he can't get through the door at anything above 30 so it's impossible to progress.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What vsync actually does is synchronise the game's update to your screen update. If you turn on vsync and it runs at 30hz it's because your display is only running at 30hz. You're specifically asking the game to sync to your display and then getting mad when it does the exact thing you asked it to do. The solution for you is to get your display updating at 60hz or higher. Hunt around in your graphics card and/or monitor settings and make sure things like resolution are set to something like 1920x1080@60hz or 1920x1080@144hz (but not 1920x1080@30hz). Admittedly this is super annoying to do on Windows as all the settings are all over the place, so it needs some hunting down. Hope that helps.
I'm pretty sure people have their displays at 60hz or higher and that the game's vsync option just caps your framerate to 30

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In Dead Space 1's situation, V-Sync really does lock the game at 30 FPS.

The mouse controls in the game are garbage, and they fixed them for Dead Space 2.

Do not run Dead Space 1 with an unlocked frame rate. The physics are totally fucking fucked mate, a lot of things go really wrong.

Laurel

Oct 29, 2017
The worst glitch about DS2 on pc is that you won't get the hidden weapon for completing the hardest difficultly(the one you can only save 3 times).
You will need to find some unofficial save file or patch because it does exist in the game file.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Do not run Dead Space 1 with an unlocked frame rate. The physics are totally fucking fucked mate, a lot of things go really wrong.

Tell me about it, you cant progress through the first door after you get the Plasma Cutter for the first time.

The Necro is suppose to jump at you but its not there. Super weird. >P

Oct 28, 2017
What vsync actually does is synchronise the game's update to your screen update. If you turn on vsync and it runs at 30hz it's because your display is only running at 30hz.
This is a known quirk in Dead Space that the ingame vsync option makes it 30hz an therefore 30 fps. OP didn't do anything wrong.
I tried but it didn't work for some reason.
Alternatively you can download and install the good ol' RivaTuner and force triple buffered vsync with the d3dovverrider.exe. In the game options menu keep vsync off when try to force other vsync solutions.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
This is a known quirk in Dead Space that the ingame vsync option makes it 30hz an therefore 30 fps. OP didn't do anything wrong.

Alternatively you can download and install the good ol' RivaTuner and force triple buffered vsync with the d3dovverrider.exe. In the game options menu keep vsync off when try to force other vsync solutions.

For some reason, Nvidia Control Panel, Nvidia Inspector and D3DOverrider can't force Vsync on. And that's weird because I swear I could force it on Dead Space years ago...

EDIT: Holy shit I found the solution! D3DOverrider can force Vsync, but for working you have to set Dead Space's exe to Compatibility Mode with Windows 7 so it can work on Windows 10. It's explained in here, post #8: https://steamcommunity.com/app/17470/discussions/0/535150948609977952/

EDIT 2: It also works with Control Panel, but only in fullscreen mode. You have to go once again to Dead Space's exe properties and tick the "Disable fullscreen optimisations" setting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

My display is 60hz, I ran all other games with vsync on and they are all well above 60fps.

Dead Space's vsync definitely locks the game at 30fps.

Last edited:

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK

I tried this fix for mouse lag and it broke controller support for me, rightstick stopped working. I have tried and failed to get DS working with. XB One controller. The main issue is the huge acceleration on the camera off the right stick, just could not get it to slow down. None of the mouse lag fixes helped. Anyone know the solution for this?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
DS1 has somehow broken brightness on PC iirc. When I searched for a fix I saw I am not the only one with this problem.
My 360 version is fine.

Oct 25, 2017
No one has their display set to 30hz man. 60 is the default.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
The only thing i needed to play them was the mouse fix for the first one and the "mod" to disable all dlc in the second.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I played Dead Space 1 a few years ago on Origin and had no problems as far as I can remember. I wonder if it is just a steam issue.
They're exactly the same.

Jesus is this some kind of joke?
Lots of developers don't seem to understand how mouse aim is supposed to work. This includes high-profile games like Max Payne 3 (often cited as being the "best controlling" third-person game) and recent titles such as Resident Evil 2 (2019).

No, Dead Space 1 & 2 specifically lock the game to 30 FPS when their in-game V-Sync option is enabled. It's intentional.
Fortunately the games are completely playable at 60 FPS if you disable the in-game V-Sync and replace it with driver-based V-Sync - or a frame rate limiter (RTSS) if you have a variable refresh rate display.
Going beyond 60 FPS has one progress-blocking bug in the original game (you can't go through a specific door) but I believe that's the only issue.
Other than that, going beyond 60 FPS causes the physics to act a bit weird; but nothing which breaks the game or blocks progress. I'd recommend that you play at 60, or no more than 90 at most.

I tried this fix for mouse lag and it broke controller support for me, rightstick stopped working. I have tried and failed to get DS working with. XB One controller. The main issue is the huge acceleration on the camera off the right stick, just could not get it to slow down. None of the mouse lag fixes helped. Anyone know the solution for this?
That's… because the patch is to fix mouse input, not gamepad inputs. The gamepad controls are as intended by the developers (same as the console).
Fixing the mouse input in many games often does break the gamepad camera controls - because they are the cause behind the broken mouse input.
You could maybe use the mouse input fix and then try using Steam Input to emulate a mouse on your gamepad though.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
So I solved the controller acceleration problem, posting this here in case it helps someone else.

The issue was when using a XB One controller the right stick is way to sensitive and camera is too fast and hard to control. I installed the joytokey application and mapped the rightstick to the mouse - it took like 2mins to do :) set speed to 100 and and adjusted the acceleration on all four axis (up,down,left and right) to 1.7. Viola! The right stick now works perfectly and more in line with the 360 version. I did not change any other settings in the application as the game under steam recognises the controller just fine. Finally can play DS on PC with full working controller.