• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Hello all,

Just bought a Switch for my step son, and we are looking at 3rd party controllers. Wireless. The official controller is $70, and I don't want to spend that much. Preferably $50 and under. I've read a few reviews for different models and I'm worried about drifting issues. The SN 30 may be my best option.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
The 8bitdo Pro 2 is a great controller and comes in right at $50. the SN30 with the dual analogs is good too if you wanna save a few bucks.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Hello all,

Just bought a Switch for my step son, and we are looking at 3rd party controllers. Wireless. The official controller is $70, and I don't want to spend that much. Preferably $50 and under. I've read a few reviews for different models and I'm worried about drifting issues. The SN 30 may be my best option.

I love the SN30 Pro, and recently bought the 8Bit Pro2 which feels nice and has macros.
Haven't had any issues with the SN30pro and it's probably my favorite 3rd party switch controller. The Pro2 seems to have some "phantom inputs" from time to time when I'm using it.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
If you have controllers for other systems you / your stepson like you could try an 8bitdo wireless adapter for ~$15. Dunno if gyro works with it though.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Mayflash Magic NS 2 for 25$ with a xbox controller is the way I roll these days. This is assuming you have xbox controllers and prefer that.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
On the off chance you gave Gamefly they hand out those 10% off accessories coupons like candy. FWIW, I think the Pro controller is worth it; thing feels great, has all the functionality, and the battery life is absolutely insane. Depending on how many (and which) Nintendo first party games you play, losing amiibo support might be more annoying that you imagine.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The PowerA wireless GameCube controllers are my favorite 3rd party ones for Switch. I have four, one in each color!

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
The Power A and 8bitdo ones are considered good. I had an 8bitdo and liked it until I have it to my brother. Can't speak on the Power A personally

Oct 27, 2017
The 8BitDo SN30 Pro is getting a lot of recommendations, but I've never been quite happy with mine. The biggest issue is that the sticks are way too sensitive, and not in a way that you can adjust with the software.

The best way I can describe it is that imagine the sticks are supposed to have a range from 1 to 100, where 100 is along the outer edge. On the SN30 it feels like the sticks go from 1 to 150, and as a consequence they hit 100 about halfway to the edge. It makes a lot of games feel really off to me.

It also can't wake the swtich up, which sucks.

Edit: My wife swears by her Power A controller. She loves that it has back buttons and it can wake up the Switch.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
8bitdo Pro 2 is great. Excellent dpad, back buttons, wireless, gyro, macros and works on PC and mobile (well Android, not sure about iOS) with the flick of a switch on the back.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
OP I understand that you have a budget, but if this purchase is going to be your "primary" controller, then you are better off going with the official Pro controller since that one supports waking up the Switch from sleep which would be otherwise a huge QoL loss.

// Edit
I personally never considered the Power-A controllers but the ratings are amazing on Amazon, go for them!

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I can vouch for the SN30 Pro. It's the controller I use for everything on both Switch and PC, has great battery life, feels comfortable to use, etc.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Outside of the 8BitDo that already got recommended, I also highly recommended the Hori Split Pad Pro if you plan to play in handheld:

51WDmHURY5L._SX522_.jpg

You lose out on rumble, but you trade out the joycons for what is essentially two halves of a pro controller.

They recently started selling a version that comes with an attachment so that it can also work with the docked switch, but it's $80.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
+1 for 8bitdo Pro 2. Great third party controller. Sturdy build quality and feature set, with a nice retro-inspired look.

That said, the retro-inspired look does ultimately result in me not enjoying the ergonomics as much as the official controller but that's a personal preference thing. It looks PlayStation-esque but its flat face ends up not feeling quite the same. Absolutely not a deal-breaker despite not being my favorite ergonomically though, still a very good controller all around and the only non-arcade stick third party controller I've used regularly in several generations of consoles.

Keep in mind that third party controllers cannot turn the system on from sleep so you have to manually press the power button on the console itself before connecting controllers (it can put them to sleep, just can't wake them from it) and it can't read amiibo -- your best bet if you don't own the Pro controller is using the right joycon to read amiibo if you ever need to.

Also, pro tip for connecting the 8bitdo once you sync it to your console and after you turn the system on: the proper procedure is to turn your system on and then hold the Start button on the 8bitdo for about 2 seconds to initiate connection mode. Just tapping a button will typically not work. You'll know you're in connection mode once the LEDs start cycling. Once that happens, just let go of start and it'll connect. I thought my first unit was busted because I didn't realize it didn't fast-connect to the console with a press of a button -- I saw a quick LED flash on and then the controller would go back to sleep.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
I know you said wireless...

BUT if you just happen to have some old Gamecube controllers lying around, you can get an adapter to connect 4 of them to the Switch. They act as Pro Controllers and most games work perfectly fine with them, You just miss out on the ZL and extra button functions.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the 8BitDo that already got recommended, I also highly recommended the Hori Split Pad Pro if you plan to play in handheld:

51WDmHURY5L._SX522_.jpg

You lose out on rumble, but you trade out the joycons for what is essentially two halves of a pro controller.

They recently started selling a version that comes with an attachment so that it can also work with the docked switch, but it's $80.

I recommend this alternative. It does everything a Joycon does except (I think) wake the system. And it comes with a connector piece so you can use the halves as one controller. I have a pair and my roommate has a pair too, we can't play handheld without them.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recommend this alternative. It does everything a Joycon does except (I think) wake the system. And it comes with a connector piece so you can use the halves as one controller. I have a pair and my roommate has a pair too, we can't play handheld without them.
The BinBok controller do actually wakes up the system from sleep mode. They are pretty much perfect functionality wise but after a year of use i have to tell that sticks get a bit drifty (can be solved by opening and cleaning with alcohol and a qtip) and some people don't like the plastic.

Last edited:

Wanderish

Jan 5, 2019

51WDmHURY5L._SX522_.jpg

This is the way to play switch. Bought them after 3 pairs of joycons got drift and what an amazing experience. I play on handheld for hours now without getting tired.

Plume

Jul 6, 2020
Can also vouch for the 8BitDo Pro 2. Though I haven't used it with my Switch much, I have used it for hundreds of hours on PC with FFXIV and PSO2. No issues like drifting or whatever at all after that much usage. Incredible controller

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA

51WDmHURY5L._SX522_.jpg

As everyone is saying, 8bitdo pretty much everything of theirs is amazing, the hori splitpad as above is also amazing, and I personally LOVE these:
binbok Joy Pad Controller for Switch/Switch OLED, Wireless Joy Con Replacement Switch Controller 8 Colors Adjustable LED Joypad Controller with Back Map Button/Turbo/Motion Control (Black) Binbok Joycons

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
If money isn't an issue, get a xbone elite with the brooks x-adapter. It has gyro and everything. The xbone controller quality might be a problem though, despite it's price tag.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
OP I understand that you have a budget, but if this purchase is going to be your "primary" controller, then you are better off going with the official Pro controller since that one supports waking up the Switch from sleep which would be otherwise a huge QoL loss.

// Edit
I personally never considered the Power-A controllers but the ratings are amazing on Amazon, go for them!
The official Pro Controller is one of my favorite controllers. I would definitely take a good look before jumping to 3rd party.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

51WDmHURY5L._SX522_.jpg

I heartily endorse Split Pad Pro. By far the best handheld experience available. I had no idea they released a dongle to let it be used in docked mode! Will check it out if I can find it sold separately.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
The 8bitDo is good especially for games that require extensive use of the d-pad. The downside is that I can't turn on my Switch with it. Also seems to lose charge a lot faster than the Pro controller.

Also got the Hori Split Pad. It's great for handheld mode and much for ergonomic.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/KingKong-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch-Bluetooth/dp/B09QJN8ZD9
might be more than your $50; but you'll never have to worry about drift. It feels really premium too!

Was gonna come here to suggest this. The name is dumb, but this thing has worked really well. It also maintains most of the functionality of the first party offering. It can wake the system and has amiibo functionality iirc. Also, if you're gonna spring for a controller, might as well do it with one that is less likely to be a time bomb. The drift on my pro controller got so bad it was basically unusable depending on the game.

Last edited:

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
+1

I love my SN30 Pro+ but having to wake the Switch up manually got old real fast. Don't underestimate the QoL loss here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a list about the best Switch controllers a while back... and you could tell that the author didn't want to load it with 8BitDo stuff, but those were clearly the best options. Honestly, the stuff they make is top-notch. They are an easy recommendation.

I would actually say that what you can get from 8BitDo is better than the overpriced official Pro controller. Their D-Pads actually work.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hello all,

Given how much I hate the controller stick drift that's been an issue across most modern controllers, one confidant recommended me to nab this as a solid replacement for my Switch Pro Controller, and I haven't' looked back since.

Hope it helps.

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
hello all again,

So bought the 8bitdo sn30 controller a few weeks ago. I charged it with the usb cable. Seems like the controller needs to be charged again, which I have been doing the past couple days. I see a red light on top of the controller when I plug the one end to the controller, but then it disappears. Only one red solid light on the bottom of the controller, too. If I unplug the usb cable, it starts to flash red.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is controller faulty?

OP
OP
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry to bump, but It just won't charge anymore. Not even a single green light. My stepson got Mario kart 8 and wants others to play.