• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
My first new Nintendo system since Gamecube, not counting a used Wii I received way late in the cycle. Of course I played many a friends systems, but feels good to be back. Looking to choose 3 for starters:

Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 (with friends), Lugi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Animal Crossing, DK: Tropical Freeze

Open to any and all though really. Ideally just want a good variety that maximizes the system.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Of the games you've listed:

Breath of the Wild is a must, Animal Crossing is looking to be the best entry in the series, and Splatoon 2 is really fun to play online with friends as long as you can use something like Discord to coordinate your play sessions.

You can't go wrong with any of the games you've listed, though. Enjoy.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
BoTW
Odyssey
Smash

EDIT: If you could only choose one it's Odyssey. Best game I've played on Switch

Oct 26, 2017
Get Mario + Rabbids. You can often get the game's complete gold edition at major discounts on the eShop. Even at full price it's worth every penny. :)

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
BOTW for sure. One of the best games ever made.

Would also suggest Captain Toad and Luigi's Mansion if you like puzzles. They're both fantastic and gorgeous, and there's very little like them on other systems.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild is an absolute must

From that list I'd say get Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. That covers a pretty wide variety of things to do. Swap out Mario with Animal Crossing depending on whether you want a forever game.

But if you've missed Nintendo games since the Wii and you think you'll be playing with friends locally, Mario Kart 8 and Smash are very strong options.

There are also lots of really good smaller games on the eShop, too.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for local and online multiplayer
  • And if you're into Tactical RPGs, Fire Emblem Three Houses. If you want a more chill experience that keeps you engaged for years, and you can still play with friends, Animal Crossing is my third pick.
I think all of these are good in terms of variety. Luigi's Mansion 3 probably is a nice pick for single and multiplayer as well, even co-op, if you're not into Mario Kart.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Of those three you mentioned, I'd choose:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey - for a lengthy single player adventure (depends on your genre preference, whether you like action/adventure or platformers more--I would get both eventually)
Splatoon 2 - As you have something multiplayer and action-y to play online with friends
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - If you wish to have a relaxing, addicting single player and multiplayer experience all year long and maybe even longer than that

I'd also throw in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, if those interest you at a later time.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best Mario games ever made (though it is definitely very easy until you get to the post game). Golf Story is a super engaging, very funny, RPG. That one is absolutely worth checking out. Lastly, Tetris 99 is a super engaging, unique take on Tetris.

Those three games are a great primer and they all offer unique experiences that you won't encounter elsewhere.

Last edited:

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
BOTW and Mario Odyssey for sure. Iffy on the third. I liked Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and can't recommend Animal Crossing without having played it yet, but maybe that?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
You need to play Smush (that's Super Smash Bros Ultimate to the uninitiated). Even if you don't particularly like fighting games, it's a blast.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Mario x Rabbids are my two favorite games on the Switch so far

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Those are the three I'd go with if I was buying a Switch next week.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is runner-up if you have someone to play the game through in co-op with.

Can't go wrong with Mario Odyssey or Super Smash either.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Your list from most recommended to least, IMO:

Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
Mario Oddysey
(Animal Crossing)
Luigi's Mansion 3
DKTF
Pokemon

This'll get you the most playtime for your buck in my opinion.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

You can't go wrong with any of the Mario games on Switch.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Odyssey are locks. It's really up to you what your third should be, but I'd absolutely go for animal crossing. Obviously none of us know for sure if it's going to be good, but if the trailers and directs are accurate then it might be the best in the series

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Out of your list I would say BOTW, Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2 are the ones I would go for
Out of any I would probably pick the same, I feel bad leaving three houses off though since it's such an incredible game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
BOTW
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3[/] Smash Ultimate(I love the former but it is very YMMV, but if you like the previous games or love marvel go for it)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing
BotW (Seriously this should just come installed)
Splatoon 2 / MK8 / Crash Team Racing <-- take your pic for MP fun.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
- Breath of the Wild (for a long single player experience)
- Mario Kart 8D or Smash Ultimate (for multiplayer)
- Tetris 99 (for something quick to play in between sessions)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Out of that list, I'd say Mario, Luigi, Zelda.

And get some retro stuff, ports or the classic games through Nintendo Online. Playing all those older games in perfect quality handheld is fantastic (I'm playing FFVII myself right now).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have not played them, get Celeste, Hollow Knight, and Mega Man Zero Collection. The ultimate lineup of 2D gaming. Could even add in Tropical Freeze.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey, BotW and Donkey Kong TF should be the ultimate trio imho. For a fourth game, I'd recommend Bayonetta 2.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Super Mario Odyssey should be a must. I've recently been getting into the post game side of it and bashing my head up against walls finding power moons makes me feel like a kid again getting the most out of my games. Although this time I'm doing it just because finding those things is pure, distilled fun.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW, Smash, Odyssey

Or maybe go for Animal Crossing instead of Smash depending on how much you think you'd play it

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate are the big three but there's loads more.

If you like traditional JRPGs, download the demo for Dragon Quest XI. It's literally the first 10-15 hours of the game for free.