• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s the story here?

• Congrats, you just bought stolen goods.

Votes: 86 13.2%
  • Empty box inbound.

Votes: 74 11.4%
  • Coat will say “Canadian Geese” when it arrives.

Votes: 432 66.5%
  • You clearly owned the big box retailers!

Votes: 58 8.9%

• Total voters

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Whenver I'm downtown Toronto I get sort of creeped out by how many rich people there are, because like every other person has one of these, and I've never owned any piece of clothing worth more than $200.

Though there's definitely a lot of rich people wearing them, gotta remember that luxury brands have a huge foothold with people who don't actually have a lot of money. Lots of people own luxury clothes even though it's technically prohibitively expensive. It'll just be all they spend their money on.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Though there's definitely a lot of rich people wearing them, gotta remember that luxury brands have a huge foothold with people who don't actually have a lot of money. Lots of people own luxury clothes even though it's technically prohibitively expensive. It'll just be all they spend their money on.

I went to Ann Arbor, MI for the first time last year to visit a friend who graduated from UM. She gave me the campus tour and I was astounded at just how many people were wearing these $900 minimum jackets.

the net worth of that campus in jackets alone had to be over $50 million.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017

This is true.

I'm not rich but now that I think about it I probably buy a couple Canada Goose's worth of games and book throughout the year.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah if you're buying clothing from Amazon, that verified seller thing means almost nothing.

They bump counterfeits and "replicas" from shady greymarket supply chains that somehow get under the radar.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's the same trend as people in the UK with top-trim Land Rover Discoveries sat outside really average houses. People have different priorities.

Canada Goose products are definitely sold at a ludicrous margin at retail, but if people are willing to pay it then why wouldn't the company price them like this? Of note, the garment resale business is predicted to rise to some crazy $50bn+ figure in the next few years because more people are buying expensive, durable, items and then selling them on. From a sustainability point of view, that's not a bad thing, and from a commercial point of view, brands like Canada Goose have to consider that their customers might only buy one or two things from them in their lifetime.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I went to Ann Arbor, MI for the first time last year to visit a friend who graduated from UM. She gave me the campus tour and I was astounded at just how many people were wearing these $900 minimum jackets.

the net worth of that campus in jackets alone had to be over $50 million.

Well, Michigan is known as the rich kids' school of public universities. 10% of the student body comes from families in the top 1% of income.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
That thing is going to be stuffed with pigeon feathers and cardboard shavings op.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The coats appear to be a requirement for students at BU/BC in Boston, particularly if you're from East Asia. Yes, it's a little cold out. No, you don't need a $1000 coat when it's 35F out...

Enjoy your dress!

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible looking coats and basically serves as a fashion statement here in the North Chicago burbs. All the rich folk wear them but they look like shit.

If I'm going to pay a decent chunk of change for a coat, I'd rather go with a nice waxed Barbour coat. They last a lifetime.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Whenver I'm downtown Toronto I get sort of creeped out by how many rich people there are, because like every other person has one of these, and I've never owned any piece of clothing worth more than $200.

Here in Stockholm they are very much a status symbol, to the point where you are very much judged for wearing one. I admit to judging people, to me a Canada goose wearing person is very much a certain type of person. A type of person I tend to not get on with,

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing to look for is the hologram label. Then check the stitching quality of the patch.

f5c12b6b485aa1f877d54284737f.png

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just return it and use the money back guarantee when I confirm it's a counterfeit and report it. But the insistence on getting me phone number is making me rethink it.

Seems like a lot of hassle. It's 100% definitely fake. There is no doubt about this. People do not sell new and in-demand items at 60% discounts. And this brand is absolutely notorious for being ripped off. That's why you see so many people wearing it. They are mostly fakes.

OP
OP
Byakuya769

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna have to co-sign the Fjallraven recommendation. I have the same one (in black) as the poster you quoted.

After a quick google, it looks nearly identical to most Canada Goose parkas aside from the badge. Is that what your really after?

Most of those jackets were monochrome without interesting colors in my opinion. Don't form opinions on "quick google searches" perhaps?

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Gonna have to co-sign the Fjallraven recommendation. I have the same one (in black) as the poster you quoted.

After a quick google, it looks nearly identical to most Canada Goose parkas aside from the badge. Is that what your really after?

OP's jacket is blue camo so he can hide. His also has wolf fur. Nothing says " I'm one tough guy " like wolf fur.

Edit. I know they don't use wolf fur but the Ebay ad says wolf fur which really should have convinced OP it was fake.

Last edited:

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I lived on the west coast, I'd never even heard of Canada Goose (the bird, yes, the jacket, no). Over here in central Canada, lots of people have them. Supposedly they're warm, but they're not the only warm winter jacket. It's a status thing though, you see lots of families where everyone is wearing them, and we all know they're $900 jackets.
Not to mention the ethical issues that have been raised against Canada Goose.

Strange to name a (fashion) brand after such a nuisance animal.

Wow wtf.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just return it and use the money back guarantee when I confirm it's a counterfeit and report it. But the insistence on getting me phone number is making me rethink it.

once you give 'em your number they're gonna text you and try to get you to buy some gift cards and shit. had a scammer from ebay try that on me

OP
OP
Byakuya769

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
OP's jacket is blue camo so he can hide. His also has wolf fur. Nothing says " I'm one tough guy " like wolf fur.

Edit. I know they don't use wolf fur but the Ebay ad says wolf fur which really should have convinced OP it was fake.

Seems like you two apply status to clothes more than a Canada Douche...

I'm just buying a coat i liked but passed on last year. The brand is meaningless to me.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
what are other good winter coats that are more affordable and more ethical?
name some suggestions

shopping for a real winter coat is tough

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
what are other good winter coats that are more affordable and more ethical?
name some suggestions

shopping for a real winter coat is tough

Shop north face, columbia or similar. They have good coats and parkas without animal parts in them.

Patagonia is more expensive but they are all about recycling and environment.

Arcteryx is also great but very expensive.