• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least nomura showed Tabata how to do a heroine justice like ppl were screaming about back in 2016 right?...right? Kairi ain't do jack shit? O 🚶🏾‍♂️

I'm 100% certain that "Stella" would have been an even worse character than Luna. And I really didn't like Luna. It honestly blows my mind how KHIII treated Kairi and even Aqua. At least the new patch is making both playable, but in my opinion the damage has been done.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people who go in the defense of KH's story beats when people say it doesn't make sense. Sure, any story can make sense if you study up on absurd amounts of ludicrous, obtuse information that only serves to be trivial fluff to handwave any actual explanation for it's contrivances.
Because usually people who claim things like this have skipped tons of story or entire games and then put the onus on the story being confusing explicitly on the game. The majority of the story in the games is extremely straight forward. Its not until really Dream Drop Distance when they introduce some elements that start to murky the waters a bit.

You can just not like the style of storytelling Kingdom Hearts does and that's fine but people extremely overstate how confusing the story is.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Why is it that the OP's of these highly negative bitch threads always seem to drop these bombs in here then never return to debate their points? That or just selectively pick one or two small quotes to do so with?

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldnt get past the 2.9 splash. Game really is janky as shit. Nomura just skeeted this one out so he could make FF7

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that the OP's of these highly negative bitch threads always seem to drop these bombs in here then never return to debate their points? That or just selectively pick one or two small quotes to do so with?

Its the Kingdom Hearts cycle. If something Kingdom Hearts comes out you can expect people to drop the same stupid talking points every single time. And then people wonder why KH fans are so just fucking exhausted of hearing the same garbage repeated over and over.

Like believe it or not I think most KH fans have a self awareness of how melodramatic and corny the story can be sometimes. It just be nice for once if people didnt feel the need to go way out of their way to tell KH fans how the thing they love is garbage with no actual worthwhile critique brought up.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously the story is such a bummer. Like how do you screw that up? It's just so painfully convoluted for no reason. I stopped playing because the story was complete nonsense and made the game feel soulless.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Its the Kingdom Hearts cycle. If something Kingdom Hearts comes out you can expect people to drop the same stupid talking points every single time. And then people wonder why KH fans are so just fucking exhausted of hearing the same garbage repeated over and over.

Like believe it or not I think most KH fans have a self awareness of how melodramatic and corny the story can be sometimes. It just be nice for once if people didnt feel the need to go way out of their way to tell KH fans how the thing they love is garbage with no actual worthwhile critique brought up.

Its not even just Kingdom Hearts game threads though. On the front page right now, is another RTTP thread about how much the OP hates Far Cry:New Dawn. Drops the thread, leaves, never comes back to debate or argue his point. Like none of these OP's could have just done this in the OT threads?
if I was a cranky, old Admin I would just ban them until they came back here and replied to a few posts haha

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it but I didn't go in for the plot, the plot became a mess over a decade ago, I just went along for the ride, and boy was it a ride. Loads of great set pieces and the worlds were a joy to run through. It's really replayable for me.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Agreed, OP. Complete rubbish. Should've released with the DLC and maybe then (and that's pushing it) it would be worthy of being talked about.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played all the games, I got through the finale understanding everything in the plot, and overall, I found it impactful. It made the grind through the rest of the game, which I didn't like, worth it. Definitely looking forward to the DLC later this week to see some of the new threads get picked up.

But overall, Kingdom Hearts III was a disappointment for me, but I've also had bigger disappointments in recent years, so it doesn't sting as much when it ended so strong. I'm hoping the DLC cleans up many of the problems.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
There's so many problems with KH3 (and I guess the series in general), but it just made me happy to play. The music, effects, and incredible worlds all just put a huge smile upon my face.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm 100% certain that "Stella" would have been an even worse character than Luna. And I really didn't like Luna. It honestly blows my mind how KHIII treated Kairi and even Aqua. At least the new patch is making both playable, but in my opinion the damage has been done.

KH III didn't really do anything bad to Aqua. She just gets cutscene incompetence at two points and everyone gets that at one point or another in KH III.

Not to mention you can find easily justifiable reasons for why she loses to Vanitas(still hasn't recovered) and gives up at one point (PTSD).

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Seriously the story is such a bummer. Like how do you screw that up? It's just so painfully convoluted for no reason. I stopped playing because the story was complete nonsense and made the game feel soulless.

You're on the late train. Painfully convoluted has been the series' MO since Chain of Memories/KH II.

We had time travel, body snatching, clones, hidden identities on top of hidden identities etc
This was not a good game. It seemed to have got worse as it went along too. Needlessly open worlds with nothing in them. The Big Hero 6 world was so boring to move around in gta wannabe with nothing in it.

The pirates world had lame navigation with an annoying ship to control and the most boring of stories between the characters. It put me to sleep.

The last world makes you fight a boss 7x in a row again and again just for padding. Each of the seven fights use the exact same attacks. It was soooooo boring.

There was cutscene after boring cutscene. I had no idea or clue what was going on in any of them. Was just throwing around word salad to me by the end. The organisation members were bad for...reasons? I skipped all their death cutscenes as they were garbo and dull. Xenahort become young and has a ponytail but why? He also looks happy and sure changed his mind quick?

Secret movie I unlocked and made no sense? Sora is in Tokyo now but why? What the fuck even happened at the end? Did he save Kairi? Why did Roxas only start appearing at the end bits? I didn't get the ending at all. It seemed sad but also good?

Why should I even care about any of the story when it's so fragmented, convoluted and ridiculously badly written with poor voice acting and lots and LOTS of deus ex machinas happening throughout.

Combat was decent and it looked and sounded nice but that's it. It was far too easy as well. It had such stupid annoying enemies and weird design choices like not being able to bring up a big version of the map in the corner. Enemies like those annoying fatties and bosses that keep juggling you. Boss after boss on last world I must have fought like 30 of them. The worst bit of the game was the boss you fight seven times in a row near the end. He is not hard to fight just extremely tedious and boring as he keeps moving fast away from sora just to piss you off more and flies off a mile away every damn second.

What an awful awful experience that all was. I dunno after beating Death Stranding and then going to this it just seems like a MASSIVE downgrade in every department except graphics. Overall the game wasn't even as good as kh1. This was probably the first jrpg since SNES days where I've actually started skipping cutscenes. When I got to big hero 6 I started skipping everything and only watched the xenahort and ending stuff. That's how boring it got. I cannot believe people enjoyed this. What's weird is I thought the first two games were pretty good even the hd remasters hold up well.

Moving onto Control now hopefully that's better.

Did you not play any of the games besides KH I or II? lol

You're on the late train. Painfully convoluted has been the series' MO since Chain of Memories/KH II.

We had time travel, body snatching, clones, hidden identities on top of hidden identities etc way before KH III.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yep, most of us know how ridiculous it is but we still have positive feelings over it and love seeing our boy Sora. Same reason people like watching trash reality tv, they know it's bad, know there is better out there but still love it.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
To all the people saying I didn't know what was happening because I started skipping cutscenes towards the end that was the entire reason I started skipping them. Even after the 50 hours I didn't skip them I had no clue. So whether I skipped them or not is irrelevant as it would have made no difference to me.

I zoned out whenever cutscenes played started using my phone, tablet etc as I was so unengaged by the "story" and characters. It was poorly told throughout like 8 games or something and requires a vast encyclopaedia and then you (MIGHT) understand it if you still care by then. I certainly wouldn't wanna spend more time trying to figure out a story like this. The payoff simply isn't worth it even if you did know, because it was just word salad to me and nonsense and unimportant to know.

The gameplay was pretty good though at least although I think KH2 is still the best. The graphics were neat too but thought the soundtrack wasn't as good as previous games but it wasn't bad.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To all the people saying I didn't know what was happening because I started skipping cutscenes towards the end that was the entire reason I started skipping them. Even after the 50 hours I didn't skip them I had no clue. So whether I skipped them or not is irrelevant as it would have made no difference to me.

I zoned out whenever cutscenes played started using my phone, tablet etc as I was so unengaged by the "story" and characters. It was poorly told throughout like 8 games or something and requires a vast encyclopaedia and then you (MIGHT) understand it if you still care by then. I certainly wouldn't wanna spend more time trying to figure out a story like this. The payoff simply isn't worth it even if you did know, because it was just word salad to me and nonsense and unimportant to know.

The gameplay was pretty good though at least although I think KH2 is still the best. The graphics were neat too but thought the soundtrack wasn't as good as previous games but it wasn't bad.
What does the bolded even freaking mean?
Even if you know what's going on it doesn't because you think it's word salad because you don't know what's going on?

The payoff is there for people who have been playing Kingdom Heart games, not just the mainline titles.

Oct 25, 2017
KH III didn't really do anything bad to Aqua. She just gets cutscene incompetence at two points and everyone gets that at one point or another in KH III.

Not to mention you can find easily justifiable reasons for why she loses to Vanitas(still hasn't recovered) and gives up at one point (PTSD).
Ok no we not gonna hand wave that aqua stuff away she got done dirty. You don't let ya character say you've seen me weak for too long to than have them get knocked out because they all of a sudden can't use magic barriers anymore and shields with the body instead. And they clearly recognize the giving up part as they now trynna add that extra scene in remind to explain why she gave up randomly literally seconds after she tells everyone to fight together

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You grow up. It's an opinion. Stop crying about this convoluted POS story. Someone doesn't like it. And I'll say it as loud as I want.

Becas
This was not a good game. It seemed to have got worse as it went along too. Needlessly open worlds with nothing in them. The Big Hero 6 world was so boring to move around in gta wannabe with nothing in it.

The pirates world had lame navigation with an annoying ship to control and the most boring of stories between the characters. It put me to sleep.

The last world makes you fight a boss 7x in a row again and again just for padding. Each of the seven fights use the exact same attacks. It was soooooo boring.

There was cutscene after boring cutscene. I had no idea or clue what was going on in any of them. Was just throwing around word salad to me by the end. The organisation members were bad for...reasons? I skipped all their death cutscenes as they were garbo and dull. Xenahort become young and has a ponytail but why? He also looks happy and sure changed his mind quick?

Secret movie I unlocked and made no sense? Sora is in Tokyo now but why? What the fuck even happened at the end? Did he save Kairi? Why did Roxas only start appearing at the end bits? I didn't get the ending at all. It seemed sad but also good?

Why should I even care about any of the story when it's so fragmented, convoluted and ridiculously badly written with poor voice acting and lots and LOTS of deus ex machinas happening throughout.

Combat was decent and it looked and sounded nice but that's it. It was far too easy as well. It had such stupid annoying enemies and weird design choices like not being able to bring up a big version of the map in the corner. Enemies like those annoying fatties and bosses that keep juggling you. Boss after boss on last world I must have fought like 30 of them. The worst bit of the game was the boss you fight seven times in a row near the end. He is not hard to fight just extremely tedious and boring as he keeps moving fast away from sora just to piss you off more and flies off a mile away every damn second.

What an awful awful experience that all was. I dunno after beating Death Stranding and then going to this it just seems like a MASSIVE downgrade in every department except graphics. Overall the game wasn't even as good as kh1. This was probably the first jrpg since SNES days where I've actually started skipping cutscenes. When I got to big hero 6 I started skipping everything and only watched the xenahort and ending stuff. That's how boring it got. I cannot believe people enjoyed this. What's weird is I thought the first two games were pretty good even the hd remasters hold up well.

Moving onto Control now hopefully that's better.

Anyways, your questions aren't hard to answer.

Sora is in The World Ends With You's Shibuya(although an alternate version of that game). TWEWY is a popular Square game. It's a place where the dead participate in a game to be resurrected but they have to give up their most precious thing to participate.

Yes, Kairi was saved. Sora used the Power of Waking to rewrite reality to save Kairi but he was erased from existence in turn so he's officially dead now. The last scene was him disappearing from reality.

Roxas appears at the end bits because Even/Vexen gave a replica body to Ienzo/Zexion and Sora connecting his heart to Lea and Xion again at there hour of greatest need sparked Roxas' heart to wake up and attach itself to the replica that Ienzo/Zexion provided.

You would've known the latter two if you had paid attention to the cutscenes. It's the game's fault for not entertaining you but it's not the game's fault if it does explain things to you but you're not paying attention.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The problem is primarily based on knowing all the spin-offs (yes, even that mobile one - especially that one, in fact). Even then, KH3 is still bad. However, it definitely tries a la MGS4 to explain everything and give pay-off to all the games before it. That was never going to be easy in any scenario.

But don't worry, the ReMind DLC will explain... ah, who am I kidding.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Ok no we not gonna hand wave that aqua stuff away she got done dirty. And they clearly recognize this as they now trynna add that extra scene in remind to explain why she gave up randomly literally seconds after she tells everyone to fight together

Everyone is KO'd in that fight at the same time and in the same way including MIckey. Like Mickey and Sora don't even fight back either but no one complains about that.

Aqua is just focused on because she's the first to be taken out and it's emphasized more. But it's clearly PTSD that she's suffering.

They're just emphasizing that PTSD more because it seems not a lot of people got it or it went over people's heads.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Did you not play any of the games besides KH 1 and 2? lol

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is KO'd in that fight at the same time and in the same way including MIckey. Like Mickey and Sora don't even fight back either but no one complains about that.

Aqua is just focused on because she's the first to be taken out and it's emphasized more. But it's clearly PTSD that she's suffering.

They're just emphasizing that PTSD more because it seems not a lot of people got it or it went over people's heads.
It went over ppls heads because it didn't make a speck of sense. She's not shown ever to be suffering from anything of the sort in fact when we see her in the rod she's completely fine and chipper and the only reason she got taken over was because ansem came waltzing in. Ppl complain about aqua and kairi in kh3 for damn good reasons

Oct 25, 2017
If i want to sum up my feelings on KH3, when i went to go 100% it a week after i beat it, I only played for 10 minutes before realizing how bored I was. I've played every other KH game 2 times at least (4 times for KH2) but this time just felt really different. I don't know, just overall really disappointing from a franchise i grew up with.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Kingdom Hearts is still a good franchise. KH2FM still exists.

However, 3 is disappointing. It's not a bad game, but it was not worth the wait to me.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling and Hostility Over Multiple Posts
lol You are welcome to have whatever trash opinion you want. Trying to state it as fact is another story.

Your opinion is factually trash my friend. Believe in your shitty rainbow all you want. It ain't all that. It's funny when people get personal over video games, makes you look hilarious.

/subjectively subjective

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I left off around the Pirates world this time last year and never came back.

The story was predictably terrible but the gameplay was also trash in my opinion. Just an absolute disappointment that took 13 years to actually release.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It went over ppls heads because it didn't make a speck of sense. She's not shown ever to be suffering from anything of the sort in fact when we see her in the rod she's completely fine and chipper and the only reason she got taken over was because ansem came waltzing in. Ppl complain about aqua and kairi in kh3 for damn good reasons

0.2 shows that she's splitting at the seams.

In III, we don't see much of her before she's turned into Dark Aqua. Part of the trauma she went through has to do with being turned into Dark Aqua.

And Sora points out that she hasn't recovered from her time in Dark Realm.

That's enough for me. I'd be more upset if she's the only one but literally everyone gives up in that scene besides Riku. Even Sora just lets himself be taken away.

So how is what happened to Aqua worse than what happened to Sora in that scene?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Imagine how good Kingdom Hearts could be if they took some risks with the Disney characters and let them really do some stuff.

Unfortunately, Disney won't let them. The reason all the Disney worlds are split up is because Disney doesn't want their movies to mix. A lot of the world's are movie re-tellings because Disney wants it that way.

Sora barely interacted with Elsa and the Frozen world is barebones because of Disney as well.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
OP Skips cutscenes
Hasn't played any other Kingdom Hearts game except 1+2
Didn't even pay Attention to those to begin with
THE STORY MAKES NO SENSE
:NotLikeDis:

People clowning on Kingdom Hearts Story are getting as cringeworthy as Riku x Axel shippers

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I know people are jumping on the OP for skipping cutscenes, and yeah, that's a bad way to play almost any game, especially one with a narrative focus.

But to be fair even if you watch the cutscenes the story is convoluted and basically a mediocre anime full of bad editing and direction.
Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say all along. Even if I had watched the cutscenes it would still make no sense regardless if I played the others and all the spinoffs. IT DOESNT MATTER that is why I skipped them. It was just trash.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
OP Skips cutscenes
Hasn't played any other Kingdom Hearts game except 2
Didn't even pay Attention to that one to begin with
THE STORY MAKES NO SENSE
:NotLikeDis:

People clowning on Kingdom Hearts Story are getting as cringeworthy as Riku x Axel shippers

I played 1 and 2. The story was better in those especially 1 but still trash. I play KH more for the gameplay. Skipping cutscenes happened because after 50 hours of not skipping them I still didn't know or care about the story so skipping them made no difference. Why can't people understand that?

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, III's Story was soooooo bad. Like, so bad. It got to the point where I dreaded cutscenes

Needless to say I was disappointed
Yeah I dreaded the cutscenes and normally I like stuff like that in JRPGS. In here I was thinking oh great another 10 min cutscene of nonsense, bad voice acting and long pauses between people speaking word salad.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
What I am surprised about is that OP finds KH3 a massive downgrade story wise from Death Stranding...it would be hard for me to tell which one is worse.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I played 1 and 2. The story was better in those especially 1 but still trash. I play KH more for the gameplay. Skipping cutscenes happened because after 50 hours of not skipping them I still didn't know or care about the story so skipping them made no difference. Why can't people understand that?

lmao

Then your opinion is near completely meaningless if you only played 1 & 2.

I mean no shit none of this makes sense to you. It's like like watching episode 1, 3 and 10 of a 10 episode series and whining about it online.

Literally most of the plotlines that 3 builds off of is from Birth by Sleep, 0.2, 358 Days, Chain of Memories and DDD.

3 isn't a sequel to 2.

It's a sequel to those 5 games that people thought were spin off titles. They're not.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Because I don't have time to look through all the post. time zones exist too. I went to sleep after I posted.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

How can you tell it was poorly told throughout 8 games when you only played 1 & 2?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts story is complete nonsense. The series would be so much more enjoyable if Nomura actually knew how to write.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel bad for you OP. If you ever tried any of the "spin-offs", you would've known not to bother with KH3's "story".
It's no secret that KH's story is a convoluted mess with bad writing.