• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole XC2 expansion pass cost $30 at release. You are talking about the physical version.

P5R cost $60 at release digitally and physically.

And in my post before I posted about the physical copy, huh? :) I dont know where any of you guys buy your games in America, but you can easily get it for 45€ in Germany.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe not worth it for you. Understandable.

Personally, I don't mind that I payed the full price again. I really liked what I am playing right now 3 years after I first experienced it. I did everything in the original game to the point where replaying it was not really ideal anymore but this new version got me back into it and still loving it as much as I did back then. I'd say I have my moneys worth.

Hell beyond buying digital, I even have a steelbook version preordered which I will be paying for once stores open up again. I even bought the original Take your Heart edition when it launched.

Don't buy it if its not for you. Vote with your wallet.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
This is my takeaway as well. There is no credibility in anybody that dismisses or downplays what has been changed in this game as merely a new chapter and some QoL. They clearly skipped everything assuming nothing else changed and didn't bother to actually explore all the new changes and experience anything that was altered.

What patches, it got nothing but paid dlc, which is all included free with Royal. You're being mislead on what is in P5R vs vanilla.

I mean patches/bug fixes. Such as updating the game. Common stuff.

I know there's no Pro patch in vanilla.
But boost mode fixes perfect 30fps?

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played and enjoyed P5, it never entered my mind to pay anything to play this version. I wasn't led to believe it would be anything more than what it turned out to be.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They did this back on the PS2 a decade ago, and Royal in particular got one of the highest metacritic scores of all time. Of course they'll do it again.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How did it get such higher review scores than the original if that's all they added

Going by the scores it got I figured like half the game would have been all new

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
At least they translated the game again, plus FIGS localizations, which is a first for a Persona game.

But yeah, some of the changes Royal brings should have been a free patch like the reduced loading times and faster transitions/animations.

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pay $60 for it again. The game is really good.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Extra stuff is about 15-20 hours of additional new content with the same amount of time saved with QoL changes. In comparison to other games...I would rather pay 60$ (for even paid that much? game can be bought here in Germany for 45€ since release) for this than most other games which are shorter.

Well If you're going to compare it to price per hour, Witcher 3 Blood and Wine is like 100 hours for $20.

But unlike OP, I didn't buy reward Altus and their shitty practice.

Last edited:

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
And in my post before I posted about the physical copy, huh? :) I dont know where any of you guys buy your games in America, but you can easily get it for 45€ in Germany.

But you have to mention the fact that the whole expansion pass is available as DLC for $30 because that is the whole point of the argument. Otherwise, your point just looks disingenuous.

Yeah, you can also get the XC2 expansion pass for $25 on cdkeys.com which is still $20 less than P5R in that scenario but that's not the point. We should compare their respective MSPR - that is the price the piece of software is sold on most retailers.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I've never played a Persona (or SMT) game in my life but it's fucking hillarious how much people complain about them yet they keep selling like churros.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While that is true, all the QoL updates are still free. I don't think anyone is saying that Atlus should not charge for new content that obviously costs money to develop. But the argument here is that it is somehow technically impossible for them to rework the game as DLC or a patch, when many other companies manage to do so.
There's an expectation with GaaS games that you could wake up tomorrow and items you currently have could be vastly different, the progression of the game could be changed, etc. I feel like people would react differently to losing items/skills in a single player game. Also DLC sells at a much lower percentage than the base game, so they may have decided that they needed a full release to recoup their investment. I'm sure all the additional voice acting, new animated scenes, etc were fairly pricey to add.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the only REALLY good thing this game has is that finally Atlus has gone and translated PAL5 their fucking Persona games.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Started playing persona 5 original on my Pro but stopped after about 20 hrs and ended up playing it on PC at 4k at 60fps. The pro could quite easily pull of 60fps no problem so its disappointing to see its still 30fps.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In Japan, it performed worse than the original Wii U version of the game. At least in the UK, it performed slightly better than the original. Overall, probably about the same as the original TMS, so poorly.
I keep meaning to pick it up, but skipped it on WiiU and have always found something else to play on Switch. It's like, on paper the kind of game I'd be interested in (any kind of turn-based combat gets my attention, and I like loads of Atlus games and FE) but the bubblegum pop coating kinda keeps me away. One day I'll get around to it.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Started playing persona 5 original on my Pro but stopped after about 20 hrs and ended up playing it on PC at 4k at 60fps. The pro could quite easily pull of 60fps no problem so its disappointing to see its still 30fps.
To my knowledge when the community hacked the game to 60fps on PC they discovered it broke damn near everything in the game and made it unplayable.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you competing in a hyperbole competition or something?

Such a disingenuous thread.
This is how it feels, and I haven't played any Persona games. New story content localized into multiple languages is very costly. I can see the point of charging it as a DLC, but really not a fan of hyperbolic language to prove a point.

Also not a fan of shaming those who bought it and are enjoying their time. I think it's one thing to criticize the business model or the content added, but something else to mock fans. Who am I to take away their enjoyment? You can criticize a company's decision without attacking people who are happy with a game.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Citing online GaaS that failed, really badly, commercially and critically, as your examples, is utter nonsense.

Their critical success changes nothing about the technical feasibility, which is what people are arguing somehow seems to be impossible for Atlus. Also, if a failed game can afford to do major reworks without charging people 60$ a second time, shouldn't a game that sold very well be able to afford doing so as well? ;)

But sure, then let's look at Divinity Original Sin 1+2. Huge reworkings of the games, with lots of new content, and completely free. Witcher 3 received significant DLCs for 20$, etc. Nothing GaaS about either of these :)

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Also, if a failed game can afford to do major reworks without charging people 60$ a second time, shouldn't a game that sold very well be able to afford doing so as well?
You misunderstand. They couldn't afford not to, because of how much of a failure it was. They had to do what they did in order to try and recoup the damages and goodwill with everybody after they saw people abandoned those games wholesale and their revenue tanked completely. Same thing Anthem is going through right now.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
"They made changes trough the whole game, you can't do that with DLC"

Please, addons, dlc or upgrades that made big changes to the base game and added new content as well have existed since decades. DLC made this even easier.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Played P5 normal on release, bought Royal on release.

They should have given us a 40 bucks upgrade path or 20 bucks reduction if you owned P5.
Other than that I'm 100% okay with paying for the Royal upgrade.

The amount of polish, content and QoL added is imo absolutely worth the price.
I think it is super disingenous to say the game adds a dungeon that takes 1-2 hours and that is it ......

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
For the record, here's about as "complete," but not "comprehensive" a list of changes made to the game as there is out there, for argument's sake (there might be slight spoilers in there, not sure). In no way does it actually provide an in-depth list of changes, which are much more extensive and detailed than can be documented.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Persona 5 Royal

Persona 5 Royal, abbreviated as P5R and titled Persona 5: The Royal in Japan, is an enhanced re-release of Persona 5. The game was initially released for PlayStation 4 in Japan on October 31, 2019, followed by a Western release on March 31, 2020. The PS4 version has also supported backwards...
For someone that's played both P5 & P5R, is Royale worth the price or should I stick with the vanilla copy?
Royal, absolutely.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
They'll get away with it because there are plenty who don't have much of problem with it and value is subjective. If you don't want to spend full price on it maybe...don't?

Pretty much.

I will never get the folks that comment things like "it's a business" as if

A.) People don't understand that
and
B.) Businesses don't constantly do grody shit all the time.

"It's capitalism, duh!" does not justify or excuse anything.

Look, no one is forcing you to buy the game again if you don't think it's worth it. I agree that they should/could have made a DLC for the original game for the extra semester, but as a full game I'd say Royal easily justifies the full price tag. If you don't think so, then simply don't buy it or wait for a sale.

I honestly agree. Royal shouldn't be a $60 game.

It depends. If you only interested in the new content, I guess it's not. As a package, if you haven't played P5 Vanilla, it's definitely worth $60.

Why don't reviewers call them out on it?

The Eurogamer review for instance did not even give the game a Recommended, arguing that the changes are not worth it. Others did. Again, here it's a matter of reading the reviews in detail, most included specific sections on the new content and in many cases I read it was worth it. Also, one of the main interests of this new version in Europe is that it has been localised for the first time to German, Spanish, Italian and French, though I suspect that most people who wanted to play the game still made the effort to buy it even though it was in English.

Both Divinity Original Sin games got major reworkings for free. Ghost Recon Breakpoint just completely reworked most of the core gameplay systems as a free update last month. Fallout 76 is doing so today with Wastelanders. There are many, many other examples of games being reworked from the ground via free updates.

I can agree about D:OS, but both Breakpoint and Fallout 76 are Gaas and were both games with significant issues when they released. You can argue that the extra content in Royal is not significant enough to justify spending $60 but, taken as whole, the game absolutely is. Still, I do agree that they could have sold the extra semester as DLC.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
For the record, here's about as "complete," but not "comprehensive" a list of changes made to the game as there is out there, for argument's sake.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Persona 5 Royal

Persona 5 Royal, abbreviated as P5R and titled Persona 5: The Royal in Japan, is an enhanced re-release of Persona 5. The game was initially released for PlayStation 4 in Japan on October 31, 2019, followed by a Western release on March 31, 2020. The PS4 version has also supported backwards...

Royal, absolutely.

What if I own the original and haven't played it yet?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
A full $60 for basically the same EXACT the game for an extra dungeon, some QoL improvements and a pro patch. Vanilla game is $20, there is no way this shit added an extra $40 of content. There is also no upgrade path for owners of the original game. Even Capcom, Nintendo/Pokemon company and square enix aren't doing shit like this anymore. This is a straight up fleece.

LOL on the same console no less.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
They can and they will. There's a bunch of people who are still under the illusion that Atlus is a smaller gaming publisher.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
TMS from WiiU to the expanded edition on Switch, like SMT SJ on 3DS, is another example of Atlus adding new characters and a dungeon and calling it full price, but as pointed out above it's a different platform.

TMS sold so badly on WIIU, I don't blame anyone for re-releasing WiiU games with minimal changes on the Switch as the vast majority of players won't have touched the previous version. It does feel different to a flagship PS4 game re-released on the same system.

Ultimately Atlus's re-release formula is the same across several of their games this gen, but it seems particularly cynical with P5 compared to re-releasing for a new audience across Nintendo's systems.

Well, it always depends from the target audience. For me Wii U re-releases are a good thing, because I didn't owned Wii U, so this is my first exposure to those games. Charging full price for a port is ridiculous, though.

Royal has a good sales potential. It will not only pick interest of people who played P5 (new content, extra incentive to replay a game they liked), but there is a brand new audience who were introduced to Joker with Anime and Smash Bros as well. Most of those people have access to multiple platforms. This probably will be released on the Switch some time later. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony made a time-exclusivity deal with Atlus. Weird they made it for Royal, not for Scramble, but Sony also made a deal with Activision on Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, so who knows how this works.

I actually like Enhanced Editions of games and replaying them after few years. Sucks it's not an expansion or released as a freebie, but if I'm going to complain I wouldn't bought it. I did. Royal was also on my PS Store for much lower price than 60 dollars. I've payed around 45 or something?

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
They already sold over 400k full price in Japan alone and it's the best reviewed game of 2020 thus far, possibly the entire year.

They would have been fools to release it as a DLC.
you would be an even bigger fool to buy it for $60.

I have P5 and im definitely not buying until a price reduction, im not rewarding this.

Even Capcom, Nintendo/Pokemon company and square enix aren't doing shit like this anymore. This is a straight up fleece.

Last I checked Donkey Country TF, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe etc. is still full price.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no way the changes they made could have been done through DLC.

The changes are massive, extensive and change a hell of a lot about the game.

If Level 5 of all people could work out how to make an extensive DLC that changes plenty about the base game with Fantasy Life on the 3DS, I don't see how anyone else has any excuse for not being able to work it out.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For your $60, you get:
The base game
All the DLC from the base game
Many enhancements with the base game
New content sprinkled throughout the base game
A new scenario with a new playable character, new story, new dungeon, new endings, etc.

If it was a port to a new console, no one would be complaining. On the same console, I see the complaints, but I choose to look at this way - I've spent $60 on many games that ended up being a total waste since I ended up not liking the game. Spending $60 to replay an enhanced & expanded version of one of my favorite games ever, one that can easily take 100 hours to play through? That's a safe purchase.

If you want the game, but don't want to spend $60, then just wait for a sale. Atlus does digital sales regularly.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
You misunderstand. They couldn't afford not to, because of how much of a failure it was. They had to do what they did in order to try and recoup the damages and goodwill with everybody after they saw people abandoned those games wholesale and their revenue tanked completely. Same thing Anthem is going through right now.

So we do agree that there is nothing prevent Atlus from going the upgrade or DLC route, besides having a community´that is happy to buy the game a second time (and business wise, I guess I can't blame them for doing that while it works).

I can agree about D:OS, but both Breakpoint and Fallout 76 are Gaas and were both games with significant issues when they released. You can argue that the extra content in Royal is not significant enough to justify spending $60 but, taken as whole, the game absolutely is. Still, I do agree that they could have sold the extra semester as DLC.

Sure! My personal stance is that QoL improvement should be free for all your players (like PS4 Pro support), while new content can be monetized. Ideally, this could look something like this:

1. Free QoL patch for all P5 owners
2. New DLC for 20-30$ for existing owners
3. Sell the Royal edition as 60$ for new buyers

I feel this would be more or less the industry best practice at this point.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
How did it get such higher review scores than the original if that's all they added

Going by the scores it got I figured like half the game would have been all new

The original was already a pretty good game (93 at MC), and most reviewers argue that the changes make it even better. So, as a whole, it's understandable that game has reviewed so well. Now, if you're a person who has played the original P5 then it's already of trying to pick out whether the changes are worth paying $60 for it and the 100-hour playthrough.