• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a lot of criticism of the Jurassic World films. Criticism from, I can only imagine, people unfamiliar with the original films, books and dinosaurs. People call them poorly made, thematically incoherent or just plain nonsensical. However, I will present evidence in this thread that this could not be further from the truth.

Now, everyone knows the fan theory that Owen is actually the child that Alan Grant terrifies in the first Jurassic Park film. The evidence is compelling. Firstly, Owen is a person - the kid is also a person. People might say, "Ah, but Owen is an adult person; the child is a child." What this fails to take into account - and what only true fans of Jurassic Park canon would consider - is that time has passed in between Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, allowing Owen the time to grow from a child into an adult. Pretty freaky, right?

Of course, some might say that doesn't make any sense. Why would someone who's just had the fear of God instilled in them grow up to be the dipshit who thinks it's a good idea to train velociraptors? Considering hubris is the overriding theme of Jurassic Park, that'd be a pretty big about turn and make this guy into a pretty big villain. This is easily explained by an alternate, extended take on the scene, which has since leaked. This version of the scene doesn't contradict or undermine what went before but, just like the Jurassic World movies, broadens and enriches the universe.

nwouhvG.png

JZCD9k4.png

Book purists will note this is consistent with changes made to Grant for the movie. In the book, Grant loves children and hates Columbian marching powder. In the film, it is quite the opposite.

Some will, justifiably, therefore say this might be the work of David Koepp rather than Crichton himself. Indeed, those familiar with Spielberg's work, particularly E.T. The Extraterrestrial, know how fond he was of characters who did a bit of charlie on occasion. It's not out of the question that this was therefore an invention of the director but cut for time in the edit.

What cannot be so easily disregarded - and what pretty clearly provided inspiration for the Jurassic World franchise as a whole - is The Lost World. No, not the film - but the book. Of course, most Jurassic Park fans are illiterate. However, the few who learned their letters will be familiar with passages like the following:

"It may surprise you to learn this, Mr. Hammond," said the judge. "But this court finds not only that no crimes were committed, but that you, personally, are rad as hell. In fact, the only crime you committed was not killing more people. If you were responsible for engineering some sort of previously hypothetical super predator, complicit in its escape and then it killed dozens of people, we'd legally have to make you the protagonist of the next book. We'd even pretend you'd have some moral standing to lecture us on whether or not we should save the dinosaurs from extinction. That's how rad you'd be."

Heck yeah, thought Hammond. This rules.

Those able to see through the subtlety and dazzle of Crichton's magnificent writing may be able to identify certain themes that were masterfully threaded into the Jurassic World films. I'll leave you to figure it out for yourselves.

I don't mean to imply Trevorrow - a well known brain genius who deserves immense wealth - simply cribbed notes from lesser minds like Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton. I'll therefore conclude with some of the many innovations he introduced to the franchise. Between the release of the first Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom, for example, YouGov published the following:

f3DJoP9.png

Furthermore, it's not hard to see how the films are both influenced by and influencing the headlines:

pmb5nLN.png

While some of its themes remain timeless:

D5nanzz.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In highschool i went through a Crichton phase, the man had amazing ideas. But the execution often fell flat. Especially with Sphere

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bryce dallas howard in those cargo pants came pretty close to elevating fallen kingdom to the status of masterpiece, i agree.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
In highschool i went through a Crichton phase, the man had amazing ideas. But the execution often fell flat. Especially with Sphere

It is amazing how many of his books/materials got turned into media and how few people know he was behind so many of them starting in the late 60s. He might be up there with Stephen King for that record.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park are actually meticulously designed monsters meant to look like idealized versions of dinosaurs instead of the real thing, is the girl from Fallen Kingdom a dinosaur as well? A girlosaur so to speak?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I think the lesson is clear: don't read books, kids. They suck.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Slayven

I read most of Crichton's work years ago, and while I've enjoyed most of them, I found the worst one by far to be State of Fear. instead of imagination and dialogue it felt more like a series of lectures about how climate change is a conspiracy, paired with the kind of dumb globetrotting coincidences of a Dan Brown book.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have read a few Crichton books, a poorer copy of King, is how I would rate him. Not horrible books but...

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Funny, I don't remember those lines between Hammond and the judge in the Lost World book when I read it as a teen... reads like lines from Close Enough.

Did I just walk in on a joke thread? It's early and I'm not fully awakened yet 🤔

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Jurassicpark terror.net has a great article on both the original and recent films compared to modern advances in palaeontology if anyone is interested:

jurassicparkterror.net

Jurassic Park Dinosaurs Illustrated With Modern Science — JPT

How has our understanding of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs progressed over time? We explore all we have learned since the Jurassic Park films.
But they already addressed this in the new movies. The Dinos are designed to appeal to people by looking like how people want them to look, not how they should look. They're amusement attractions, not natural beings.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
If people want scaley "dinosaurs" they could just make a movie with Rauisuchians and call it Triassic Park.
Shuvosaurus_BW.jpg

DNozDLMX0AE9rGT.jpg

F1.large.jpg

Rauisuchians are not dinosaurs but look a lot like them due to covergent evolution. They are more closely related to Crocodillians. They co-existed with dinosaurs until they went extinct during the Triassic-Jurassic mass extinction,. Likely due to them not being able to regulate their body temperature, whereas dinosaurs likely could.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mods approaching to investigate a high effort shitpost:

mftdA_bSFmI8CQrXgOvWLp43d02rzERY3IaWp-ks-bekFYff_Yg6jkw8ocWkzHKl6Bs9hp-LWTp0jd0qLWek9EcBGnxlM9WnrFurs17j_KU5Csx_

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
If this thread gets locked I will personally bio-engineer velociraptors to hunt down the mods and run them over on their motorcycles

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
You've convinced me, OP. life IS better with motorcycles, velociraptors, and cocaine. It's one of those things that once you write it out it's so obvious in hindsight, like of COURSE it is and I was a fool to not realize that until now.

If Trevarrow had any sense he'd have you writing the third script right now; your insight into what makes Jurassic World work is THAT profound.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But they already addressed this in the new movies. The Dinos are designed to appeal to people by looking like how people want them to look, not how they should look. They're amusement attractions, not natural beings.
To be fair, the first para of the article addresses this, it's more about how we've learned more in the last 25 years than JP lore vs science.
How has our understanding of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs progessed over time? To start, I will say do not consider in-universe explanations on why the animals look the way they do in the films because this is irrelevant. The point of this article is to explore what we have learned about dinosaurs since the Jurassic Park films landed in the '90s. We can all enjoy the films for what they are despite the inaccuracies.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Slayven

I read most of Crichton's work years ago, and while I've enjoyed most of them, I found the worst one by far to be State of Fear. instead of imagination and dialogue it felt more like a series of lectures about how climate change is a conspiracy, paired with the kind of dumb globetrotting coincidences of a Dan Brown book.
I had to look that up, that came after Timeline where I tapped out

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Critchon book? The one with lasers and super gorillas. Hard to fuck that formula up

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Slayven

Oh yeah. That's a bad one. A rare misstep.

Although the one about the nano machines wasn't all that great either.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Slayven

Yup. Book is trash.

Oh yeah. That's a bad one. A rare misstep.

Although the one about the nano machines wasn't all that great either.

Prey isn't his best but its servicable I found.

I feel his best books are The Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Jesting aside, genetically enhancing dinos for profit and creation's sake is absolutely where Chricton would have taken the Jurassic series. He loved smashing tomorrow's scientific applications with capitalistic entrepreneurs to show how important regulation and oversight is. It's the basis of most of his stories.