• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
Yep. I rewatched this from the first episode a few weeks ago and there's still nothing else quite like it, even if others have attempted it. The open disdain this show had for its guests is outright shocking, especially for a show from the mid-90s. Watching them edit in Slash having a meltodwn and being unwilling to play along is hilarious.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
everything by kunihiko ikuhara, why they keep giving that man money to make brilliant auteur bullshit is beyond me but I hope it never ends

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feel like Eek! The Cat was a brilliant cartoon in the 90s that no one ever talks about.

eekthecat_1947.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Animaniacs was really weird, even the premise. But it was great and they got away with a lot for the time.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot but the ones that really impressed me in all aspects were probably the DCAU shows for their quality and a lot of old Adult Swim stuff like Space Ghost, Aqua Teen, Sealab, Venture Bros, Home Movies, etc just because of how ridiculous they were.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
The pilot for Regular Show is about two gas station workers who go on an acid trip and it somehow got greenlit and picked up by CN.

Adventure Time and Gumball are also up there for amazing cartoons.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Still the greatest representation of Batman EVER. EVER.
Kevin Conroy was my Mickey Mouse, my moral compass. This stuff is just next level.

Yup. I compare ever Batman to him. Every. Single. One. Even the live action ones. None are as level headed and cool af as he was. And I see what they were trying to do with Christian bale/Michael Keaton/George Clooney/Val kilmer/Ben affleck's Batman by making them vulnerable (see: human) but the TAS Batman/Kevin conroy had all of that and still looked badass while doing it.

Also liked "the killing joke" as well. Kevin and Mark are the definitive versions of their characters.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The Warner Bros cartoon series from about 1940 to about 1957. There's brilliant cartoons outside of those years but that was definitely their hot streak. So many classics.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to question how Robotech, particularly the Macross segment made it onto US TV. The show saw main characters outright die, on screen, 90% of humanity wiped out, and a finale that honestly kind of shocks me they allowed it to be aired. For those who aren't aware, the finale of the series takes place after nearly all life has been annihilated from the face of the earth. The remnants of humanity and the Zentradi invaders have banded together to try and survive and rebuild the planet. The Zentradi are having difficulties adjusting to life as civilians and many resort to becoming insurgents and bandits. The penultimate episode shows one of the main bad guys committing literal terrorist attacks on Christmas eve where insurgents dressed as Santa detonate suicide bombs in the survivors' population centers. The final episode depicts said villain performing a kamikaze attack on the new Capitol city, attempting to cause his starships reactors to overload and go nuclear. How did this get allowed on TV here?

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite show The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. Know how Animated programming was done in the 80s, I'm still mystified how this show got made (I'm glad for it, but still...).

Galaxy Rangers was the idea of producer Robert Mandel who wanted to do a hybrid American/Japanese production. To that end, TMS Entertainment was contracted for animation duties (which was subdivided between TMS proper, and two other production companies, one that was decent, and one that was cheap but mediocre). Mandel made it a practice to hand the scripts deemed excellent to TMS, the good scripts to the middle studio, and the lesser quality scripts to the cheap studio. (This means you can generally tell who good an episode is going to be within the first minute or two by the animation quality).

The subdivision was a result and effect of the quick turnaround on the show. Galaxy Rangers was a 65 episode show and was produced in it's entirety in just 11 months. (For those outside the US or too young, back in the day, for a show that was to be shown "daily" or in other words Monday though Friday, each day having a new episode, the rules for the episode count puts the needed number at 65 episodes per season. For example, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe ran for 2 seasons. There are 130 Episodes of that show. It's why Robotech exists (Harmony Gold's current BS notwithstanding). OG Macross didn't have the episode count to be syndicated daily, and it's actually too long for the executives to generally want to broadcast on a weekly basis.

Also remember, this show is from a time when everything was effectively still cel animation, which is slower than modern digital ink and paint. This show was also noteworthy for it's use of CGI, which back in the 80s would also have been somewhat time consuming simply because of the newness of the medium.

A few other things that stand out. The Rangers have more than one outfit. While they have their main uniform (check my avatar for their standard outfits) given the needs of various episodes, the Rangers would have other appropriate costumes, some of which would reappear with some consistency...as an example the "Zanguill" disguise the Rangers use when they need to go to the planet of Tortuna and need to disguise the fact they're human (and Galaxy Rangers). There are also a set of standard civilian clothes that they all have. Just the fact they get as many costume changes as they do stands out, especially for an 80s cartoon.

The show is also noted for it's excellent soundtrack (mostly 80s guitar w/synth rock), with an inordinate amount of vocal tracks (If memory serves there are like 8 tracks with full vocals).

Notables among the voice case. Jerry Orbach voiced lead character Capt. Zachary Fox. He is probably better known for either playing the lead in Law and Order, or playing Lumière in the Disney animated Beauty and the Beast. Corinne Orr who also worked on the original English dub of Speed Racer, and was the Snuggle Bear in the commercials for that product. Earl Hammond had roles on many Rankin and Bass productions in the 80s including ThunderCats.

One final thing to mention. Most 80s US animated shows had a toy line to go with them. Galaxy Rangers didn't have one (at least from the get go...Europe got those toys but they never materialized in the US). This, more than anything else, makes you go "how did this get made." considering the environment it was made in. I'd love to see a second season. It was syndicated, but there was enough continuity that a story arc based 2nd season is very doable.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm going to question how Robotech, particularly the Macross segment made it onto US TV. The show saw main characters outright die, on screen, 90% of humanity wiped out, and a finale that honestly kind of shocks me they allowed it to be aired. For those who aren't aware, the finale of the series takes place after nearly all life has been annihilated from the face of the earth. The remnants of humanity and the Zentradi invaders have banded together to try and survive and rebuild the planet. The Zentradi are having difficulties adjusting to life as civilians and many resort to becoming insurgents and bandits. The penultimate episode shows one of the main bad guys committing literal terrorist attacks on Christmas eve where insurgents dressed as Santa detonate suicide bombs in the survivors' population centers. The final episode depicts said villain performing a kamikaze attack on the new Capitol city, attempting to cause his starships reactors to overload and go nuclear. How did this get allowed on TV here?

The terrorist thing isn't too surprising, in a pre-9-11 world. GI Joe for example was basically the military against a terrorist organization. A joke of a terrorist organization but a terrorist organization nonetheless.

I think it had to do partly with the fact that it wasn't a network show, it was a syndicated show, so it didn't have to live up to network standards (and individual stations could refuse to air it) and that people were probably asleep at the wheel/had messed up priorities. They had to cut the nudity (shower scene) and drinking out. A little contrary to what you say, people don't actually die on-screen, for instance they cut out Ben/Kakizake's in person death scene and Roy's bullet riddled body). The kept the pipe smoking in, there's an interracial relationship (which I don't think would've caused that much of a stir), and in Mospeada there was cross dressing as well. But the nudity was probably the biggest dealbreaker and violence was not, typical for the US.

It's interesting because earlier adaptations like Gatchaman cut out death entirely, but that may have been more precautionary by the people adapting the series. I'm pretty sure Harlock and Star Blazers kept the death counts high.

The amazing thing about Robotech is the fact that the stations airing it usually aired stuff in order... that's one of the first serialized cartoons I can remember, and was heavily dependent on episodes running in order. I think later reruns got sloppy in this but otherwise they were pretty good about it.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
because most cartoons or even animes are just to send merchandise so when a show is good in all departments is a sight to behold really.
If you pay talented people to do their thing then the end result will be good most of the time. I can't imagine an aggressively mediocre product finding a consistent large audience.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty wild to me that Batman the animated series could had simply been another animated series that just cashed in on the Burton movies. Instead it became the definitive version of the character.

Oct 30, 2017
The terrorist thing isn't too surprising, in a pre-9-11 world. GI Joe for example was basically the military against a terrorist organization. A joke of a terrorist organization but a terrorist organization nonetheless.

I think it had to do partly with the fact that it wasn't a network show, it was a syndicated show, so it didn't have to live up to network standards (and individual stations could refuse to air it) and that people were probably asleep at the wheel/had messed up priorities. They had to cut the nudity (shower scene) and drinking out. A little contrary to what you say, people don't actually die on-screen, for instance they cut out Ben/Kakizake's in person death scene and Roy's bullet riddled body). The kept the pipe smoking in, there's an interracial relationship (which I don't think would've caused that much of a stir), and in Mospeada there was cross dressing as well. But the nudity was probably the biggest dealbreaker and violence was not, typical for the US.

It's interesting because earlier adaptations like Gatchaman cut out death entirely, but that may have been more precautionary by the people adapting the series. I'm pretty sure Harlock and Star Blazers kept the death counts high.

The amazing thing about Robotech is the fact that the stations airing it usually aired stuff in order... that's one of the first serialized cartoons I can remember, and was heavily dependent on episodes running in order. I think later reruns got sloppy in this but otherwise they were pretty good about it.

My memory may be a bit hazy, but I could swear they showed Ben get vaporized on screen. Same with Roy dead in Claudia's apartment. I know they showed the suicide bomber blow himself up on screen though.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
All of the DCAU
Spectacular Spider-Man
Gravity Falls
Kim Possible
Danny Phantom
Regular Show
PowerPuff Girls
Billy and Mandy
Ed Edd n Eddy
Recess
Johnny Bravo
Dexters Lab
Ben 10
Courage
Kids Next Door

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'll forever have a soft spot for Rockos modern life.

It's a show that successfully blended adult humor and children's humor in a way that was two shows in one, depending on your maturity level.

Having to sneak things by the censors meant having to master subtle innuendo and careful writing. Made for some brilliant stuff.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
3WDcYbV.png

Let's talk about amazing cartoons that are so freaking good you just can't help but wonder how all that brilliance came together to give you such a good time.

I'll start with the obvious:

Fantastic characters, arcs, music and probably some of the best humor I've seen in a cartoon lately.

49b53d479ff8c6d5fda8613b4d4507ca.jpg

I'm amazed that Disney let them get away with a lot of what they did with this.

Exactly the show I was thinking about as soon I as read the thread title.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Arnold! was incredible progressive for it time. It also dealed in a couple of episodes with an issue that cartoons today don't touch which is poverty and how it affect children self esteem.

Oct 27, 2017
Adventure Time, about a boy, a mutant dog, rainbow unicorn and a candy kingdom threatened by an ice king who has a history with a vampire girl and all of the madness in between. The King Worm episode may have been the first ep that made me go from "wtf, this show is so random and fun" to "w.t.f. this show!"

That and giving the MC a shitty dad and seeing his arm get ripped off trying to prevent his pops from fleeing really makes this show stand out to me. That said, I really should finish it one of these days lol.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Teen Titans in the mid-2000's sure was something special. It had really, really good writing. Excellent mature story lines. And it had a tremendous tonal elasticity. You could have total screwball episodes and then you could have something as incredibly dark and good as the Haunted episode, but neither ever felt out of place.

And Ron Perlman gave some of the best voice work I've ever heard with his Slade character.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Teen Titans in the mid-2000's sure was something special. It had really, really good writing. Excellent mature story lines. And it had a tremendous tonal elasticity. You could have total screwball episodes and then you could have something as incredibly dark and good as the Haunted episode, but neither ever felt out of place.

And Ron Perlman gave some of the best voice work I've ever heard with his Slade character.
Seconded

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's Invader Zim. I mean one episode had kids organs getting harvested and another joked with the notion of getting your balls literally chewed off.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
One remarkable thing about Gravity Falls is that it had a clear two-season story arc and then it ended. I always appreciate creators sticking to a plan and not letting the series go on forever.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Surprised no one has mentioned MLP yet

MV5BMTk4NTgxMjItZTU5ZS00NGE3LWJlODQtMTMzOTJlZmU5ODk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUzMDIyNzE@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I mean in the other thread, and I'm sure this one, people just started listing best/worst, but this is one that really makes you go "How did THIS happen?"

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Over the Garden Wall - best western television cartoon ever created. Miracle it was made

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet.

1. Iron Man Armoured Adventures S1.

They made 2 seasons and the second was a huge drop off in quality but season 1 was pretty special. A teenage Tony as essentially a rich brat Spider-Man, Pepper Potts as Veronica Mars and a Rodhey that manages to combine the best elements of both the Cheadle and Howard version of the characters.

Plus a great villain in Gene Kahn aka the mandarin. He was incredibly neuanced for an out and out villan.

2. Star Wars The Clone Wars.

Took the potential of the prequels world building and made something that actually lived up to it. Just Like Batman TAS is the definitive Batman to many, SWTCW is the Definitive Anakin Skywalker.

3. How to train your dragon series (Riders/Racers/defenders ect)

Just a way better series then it had any right to be.

4. Tail Spin

The characters of the jungle book running an air freight/cargo business shouldn't have worked as well as it did.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I'll forever have a soft spot for Rockos modern life.

It's a show that successfully blended adult humor and children's humor in a way that was two shows in one, depending on your maturity level.

Having to sneak things by the censors meant having to master subtle innuendo and careful writing. Made for some brilliant stuff.

Not sure if you're aware but a movie for the show just released on Netflix

It's Invader Zim. I mean one episode had kids organs getting harvested and another joked with the notion of getting your balls literally chewed off.

I still find it odd Nick allowed that, but then again, I wouldn't have been able to seen one of the greatest shows ever.

That being said, from what I've read, the creator had darker ideas and Nick prevented those from happening (one of the ideas involved Dib dying).

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Trollhunters on Netflix. I put this on while playing Minecraft or something and ended up getting sucked in. The writing reminds me of Gargoyles, and Avatar: The Last Airbender, the art style/direction suits the budget so the show is beautiful and the animation is good compared to a lot of the other DreamWorks Netflix shows. The voice acting is excellent, featuring one of Anton Yelchin's last performances, a standout (including a nod to him at the end that made my eyes incredibly misty), and some great work from Mark Hamill and Kelsey Grammer just to name a few.

Not to mention it was created and produced by Guillermo del Toro, who also did some writing on parts of the series. It has his flair for worldbuilding and subverting character tropes. Seriously, I feel like the show is a hidden gem, but I highly recommend it to fans of almost any of the shows listed here.