• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you replaying the original Resident Evil 2 before the Remake?

• I have already played the original before and I'll be playing it before the Remake.

Votes: 42 25.1%
  • Played the original before but I ain't touching it again before the Remake.

Votes: 82 49.1%
  • Never played the original before but I'm definitely playing it before the Remake.

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Never played the original before and I won't be playing it before the Remake.

Votes: 33 19.8%

• Total voters

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this game, it's gonna be a wild ride. I havent watched any footage since TGS, and the only trailers I remember clearly are the one from E3 (which were actually amazing!).

Anyway, in antecipation for the remake (and since I fineshed my playthrough of all the Kingdom Hearts franchise), who's also replaying the original and which version? I think it's a good experience so when I'm playing the remake I'll remember every little different detail from the original.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
wrong place :eyes:

But i already played earlier this year before it was announced (and popped it in for a bit last week) so 1st option for me

I might play a bit more Extreme Battle Mode at the least

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Did you mean to post this in the Hangouts section?

Anyway, there's a sale for the Resident Evil bundle (1, 2, 3) on PSN right now for £3.59, so I jumped on that bargain and have been playing 2 for the first time in over 15 years. I don't remember anything about it, but I'm having a great time so far and it holds up.

Pre-rendered backgrounds <3

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, there's a sale for the Resident Evil bundle (1, 2, 3) on PSN right now for £3.59, so I jumped on that bargain and have been playing 2 for the first time in over 15 years. I don't remember anything about it, but I'm having a great time so far and it holds up.

Yeah, but the thread has been moved now!

Last edited:

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
If I had time I would do it. But I played it so many times tbh, that I don't think it would do much for me

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017

Oh my, thanks for the call out. I've been eyeing Resi2 for ages now to go on a sale but it never does, it's still €10. This bundle never came up in my search results when looking for RE titles so I would have missed it.
Bought!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I did it back in june when i was really excited after the reveal. Still holds up. I'd say it holds up even better now.

I play the PS1 version as always, other versions have more nifty things but PS1 has the benefit of having sharp image and having the best flow int erms of loading times instead of being too fast.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ohell no? im going blindly in to remake with just remembering original RE2 from childhood.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I replayed the Gamecube version back in July just after the reveal and I kind of fell in love with it. I never really valued RE2 after I played it for the first time in the early 00s, I think I was just blinded by how much I loved REmake that nothing else really seemed to compare.

Playing RE2 this year with a more "critical" eye has made me appreciate it so much more, I'm glad I gave it another shot before the remake came out. It does things a little but differently to RE1 but it still is so good and just feels like a great evolution of what RE1 was.

I'm really hoping there's heaps of surprises in the Remake rather than just one or two new areas when it releases next month.

Super excited anyway.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not gonna play the remake but have been thinking of replaying RE2 closer to its release.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already did replay the original after the first footage was shown. I think it really holds up as a classic. Can't believe it been 20 years since it came out.

Went on quite a classic RE kick since then actually. Finally picked up the whole series on PS1 because I wasn't feeling authentic with my GameCube versions. I also finished RE1 classic for the first time.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Played it twice in the last 2 years, i think i'm good for now.

But i think i'll definitely go back to it even after REmake 2 comes out, it's a great game on its own.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I played a Leon run during the summer. I'm actually playing Resident Evil on PS1 for the first time. I think it actually looks and sounds great on a CRT.

Maybe I'll play a Claire run prior to release but I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
i've played re2 (my favorite in the series) at least 3 times. will likely not be replaying it in the next few weeks. i remember it all pretty well :) ...

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Already pre-orded, already played the original, but the remake like way different thant Rebirth vs RE1.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time. I'm near the end of Leon's B route and will probably have it finished tomorrow.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont have access to re2 original but i am playing through remake for the first time and even though its kicking my ass im really enjoying it. I cant wait for re2make. I had re2 as a young kid but i was too young to grasp the mechanicas, was only able to get up to the licker before i got killed. Remake is fantastic though, despite its age, it does a wonderful job of building tension

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, I played RE2 quite enoug already. Besides, I have just finished watching Mary Kish play through the game the other day. I don't need to play it again; I've got the game burned into my brain.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Played the original plenty enough already, it's a brilliant game. But I'm just ready for the remake now.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Never played the original and have no plans to. Tank controls and fixed camera angles? Lol get outta here.
Will be buying the Remake tho.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just gave up on my REmake HD speed run two days ago. I never actually bothered with it originally, because I didn't care about the rocket launcher, and didn't know about the Samurai Edge. I recently replayed it, choosing the middle difficulty option, mistakenly thinking the top choice was "Hard" and not "Normal". Beat it in seven hours on my first replay since finishing it twice on the GC in 2001, then replayed it and finished it in 3:17. I thought that I had unlocked the gun, but nope...the difficulty was wrong. Started over yet again, and I have it saved halfway through the beginning due to burnout.

I already replayed RE2 early last year, but I just set up a new Retroarch the way I wanted for another replay tonight or tomorrow.
Resident-Evil-2-Leon-181222-150440.png

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I played the original for the first time just a week ago and loved it, can't wait, but I wish 2 and 3 were available for PS4 because it's a pain to play them on PC

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Will play it for the last time on my PS2 before the remake comes out. It will be the last time I can enjoy the more traditional RE games before delving into the changes brought for Resident Evil 2 Remake when it comes out.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played ClaireA a couple of months ago. I need to get onto LeonB before the remake is out.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I haven't played the original since waaaaay back shortly after it came out on the PS1. I've watched EZA play it a little bit, but tried to not absorb too much again. I kinda want to remember as little as possible.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wont ever play the original waiting for the remake to experience that in its full glory.
Can't wait cuz it looks amazing think this will beat RE 4 and 7 for sure for me.

Doing the same with final fantasy 7 lol i guess thats still a decade off tho :)

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But there's a tyrant in this if I remember. Maybe not nemesis but one similar. Forget where I read it but someone said he folllows you around in this game like nemesis. If that's true, I might have to pass lol

I'm a scaredy cat :(

There is a stalker (a Tyrant colloquially known as Mr. X amongst fans) but I dunno, I doubt that'd be the scariest thing in the game.

Maybe so though, I am trying to go in blind to the remake.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed Claire A earlier this year and got about a third of the way through Leon B, so I might finish that up real quick.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
But there's a tyrant in this if I remember. Maybe not nemesis but one similar. Forget where I read it but someone said he folllows you around in this game like nemesis. If that's true, I might have to pass lol

I'm a scaredy cat :(

Mr. X is the monster you're on about, and he appears specifically in the B scenarios. He does follow you through the game, but he has set locations he appears in and he mostly appears at inconvenient times with no warning however he can be side stepped by entering another room. He does have a few jump scares too.

Oct 28, 2017
There is a stalker (a Tyrant colloquially known as Mr. X amongst fans) but I dunno, I doubt that'd be the scariest thing in the game.

Maybe so though, I am trying to go in blind to the remake.

I hate stalker characters. I just finished the evil within 2 and that had a stalking lady. Silent hill 4 had Walter. Now Mr. X in this.

Jeez. I can't catch a break.

Yoday

Apr 8, 2018
I just replayed it about two weeks ago. The original still holds up shockingly well. It was my first time playing it on PS1, as I originally played it on N64 back in the day.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I did a few runs of it earlier this year, and it was my first time playing it since it's original release. It really held up well and exceeded my expectations, I just loved it. It's likely I won't pick up the new one until well into the new year, so I can see myself playing the original at least once again between now and then.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I played the original for the first time in July. I always wanted to get around to it eventually and it seemed like the perfect time, it didn't feel dated at all either.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm not the biggest fan of RE2 Classic, so I don't plan on playing it again before RE2.
I've played it enough and remember the plots enough to catch the differences without it.