• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
70% of gamers surveyed in UK, France, Germany and Spain say they're not interested in a video game streaming services
15% of the surveyed gamers (defined as anyone playing games via any device) are interested in a Netflix-style streaming service for games in the four territories included in the study. The remainder either 'don't now' (12%) or already utilise a service akin to Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud (such as the current market leader, PlayStation Now).

Just 3% of gamers claimed to be 'very interested' in such a streaming service.
The data comes from the latest research conducted by Ipsos MORI's GameTrack survey, on behalf of GamesIndustry.biz.

Latency me if old:

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Oh, I didn't get to vote on that one. I would have decreased the percentage though.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why making it the only option is a bad idea. Like Stadia.
I think it will increase tho in the future when its more known, its out etc. But not hugely.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm personally not interested in it, stadia or xcloud (UK) if gamepass was streaming, I wouldn't pay for it. I don't know anyone who is even aware of it in fact.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. I'm one of those that are skeptical because of latency issues. I heard stadia is pretty good so I'll wait and see.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That number will probably increase as people test streaming out in the real world.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Relying on what people think they want hasn't been the best metric in tech as a whole, even if I think Streaming game services right now is certainly far from a guaranteed runaway success (it doesn't need to be). Either way, preordered, locked and loaded to check it all out.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Curious enough to try the free version if there are f2p games to test after the early adopters confirm it ain't complete trash

Oct 30, 2017
European here with no data cap and I could stream 4K 60 according to Google. I'm not interested either.

The only possible interest I have would be to stream Game Pass games just to try them out instead of downloading the full thing, although hopefully both next gen consoles have something for that in place to let you play before the whole thing has finished downloading.

I'd never spend $60 on a game that's limited to streaming.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Good luck selling that shit in Australia google. Our internet sucks balls with no signs of that ever changing.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is that it's only attractive for when you can guarantee your hotel internet will suck.

Otherwise it's assuming a massive, untapped audience of people who REALLY want to play AAA games, have the money for great internet, but not enough to buy a console.

I just don't get it. It's perplexing.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's surprisingly high but I think the main potential market for Stadia was always bringing new people into the market rather than appealing to the current market of gamers, at least in the short term. It's why I was so surprised how terrible Stadia's announcement stream was and how terrible the launch lineup is.

Oh, I didn't get to vote on that one.
What a terrible first post.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that "2 billion" supposed gamers dont want to play assassin creed odyssey but they want to play candy crush. so streaming trying to go after the "2billion gamers" is a bit misguided. These games like ACO are too complex for casual mobile gamers to care and the lags prevent the hardcore for really caring . so it is left in this weird spot that not many care for it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The only reason I will use Xcloud is to test a game out to see if I want to take the bandwidth and time to fully download. It will be like a slightly laggy demo.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I will use Xcloud is to test a game out to see if I want to take the bandwidth and time to fully download. It will be like a slightly laggy demo.
Yeah it's going to be great for that assuming all Game Pass stuff ends up on it.
Ironically, this is something Playstation originally promised at the PS4 launch and never ended up happening.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems reasonable.

I'm not interested as the only option. Looking forward to it supplementing my existing gaming.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I have no interest even though I've got a fast connection.

But I had a conversation with a friend the other day about Assassin's Creed Legion. I sent him the E3 demo with London and since he lives there wanted to play it.

But he doesn't have a console and has some cheap laptop.
So to play the game, it's an upfront investment.

But if Stadia free plan allows him to purchase the game and play it cheaply, then that's an untapped market.

It's like how the Wii got people into gaming because it was cheap and also easy to understand the concept.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. The marketing campaigns haven't really started up yet and it's a bit weird to bring up xCloud seeing as they've barely talked about it.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The Project Stream beta convinced me the technology and infrastructure were more than sufficient enough for my needs and most of the types of games I enjoy. The big issue though is that I just don't trust Google enough to invest into a new ecosystem of theirs. They've made cool shit that worked many times, and that didn't stop them from dropping it. Microsoft's in a better position on that front, but the Xbox brand doesn't really have a presence in my part of the world. That kind of limits its appeal.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I am super interested - It won't replace anything I have as I do want the best local high end experience but as a additional thing it might be amazing if it works. I travel a lot and if it works as advertised and or internet gets better all over the UK it will be super useful for me.

So yea I have a stadia pre ordered and will try Xcloud whenever it becomes available.

The convivence of it imo will get a lot of "normal" people in for sure.... my dad is retired and has the grandkids over all the time, if it's simply an app on his TV rather than a whole console purchase he is wayyyyyyyy more likely to do it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a PC player who mod my games. As such, Stadia has absolutely 0 use for me. Something like Shadow seem much more interesting.

So, the number is quite higher than i hoped.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Here's the thing. From my understanding, the streaming games aren't designed for gamers like us, who'll buy consoles and specced up PCs. It's for people for whom buying a $200 PS4 or Xbox isn't on the cars but would still be interested in occasionally playing Madden or Assassin's creed or Halo if they didn't have that hardware barrier.

There' a thread here about a guy getting a new job and realising how niche gaming was as a hobby. Streaming games to a phone or TV is really designed for those people who only occasionally play a game, not for people who spend a Steam sale playing Valve's ARG.

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't pay separately for xcloud, it would have to be included in Gamepass Ultimate for me to use.

For Stadia, the free version seems cool and I may get some things on it if I still have a long commute when it becomes ubiquitous. Would probably need a new data plan though.

Wouldn't use either for a home solution, happy enough with consoles.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, no shit.

At least here in Spain, even if we don't have data caps fiber is still far from being a standard, providers are more worried about licking their own asses, claiming how wonderful they are and getting into e-sports than offering competitive prices, good services and expanding their reach.

So yeah, streaming services are not looking hot over here

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, that sounds high for a pretty new concept like this. I'm sure those numbers encourage the higher ups at Google and Microsoft.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming only interest me as a free perk from the platform, like Remote play on PS4 and Steam. I really don't see the benefit in paying for it, much less the audience who would be interested in it.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm interested and my internet is shit.

I'm more interested for the possibility of playing my game collection at work or when I'm on my travels.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This isn't for hardcore gamers. It is for the kids watching playthroughs on youtube and then being able to immediately try a game out and then asking for their parent's credit card to purchase a game. Google will make bank, I bet. The parents will be more likely to let Billy get a $20-$40 game over getting them a $400-$500 console. Plus kids will be less likely to bitch about a little latency or subpar resolution.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I mean...is this shocking news, in regards to Stadia? It doesn't launch in more than 12 European countries as far as they've announced. EU alone has more than double that. Europe itself many more. So, honestly, fuck them really.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Relying on what people think they want hasn't been the best metric in tech as a whole, even if I think Streaming game services right now is certainly far from a guaranteed runaway success (it doesn't need to be). Either way, preordered, locked and loaded to check it all out.

relying on what economists and suits think customers want is the same slippery slope.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not interested either. But I don't have to be. If something works effortlessly I might end up using it anyway.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I'm one of those that are skeptical because of latency issues. I heard stadia is pretty good so I'll wait and see.
I guess it all depend on your Internet connexion, no?
Question they posed seems incredibly flawed since stadia isn't Netflix style and we don't know what xcloud is.
I mean... isn't it just like Netflix? A streaming service that offer games we want to play?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Can't wait to try it myself. I remember people felt the same way about movies and music years ago.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
That's why xCloud and PS Now are much better equipped for the future. This is a service for those of us who are mobile and travel a lot, a supplementary option. And for those who can't afford a console or gaming PC it could possibly be a low entry barrier, too.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing it's just an option. PCs and consoles are not going away anytime soon, so for me xCloud (I don't think I'll use Stadia) means a way to keep playing the games I already play on my hardware, but this time on the go without having to carry bulky equipment around.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't for hardcore gamers. It is for the kids watching playthroughs on youtube and then being able to immediately try a game out and then asking for their parent's credit card to purchase a game. Google will make bank, I bet. The parents will be more likely to let Billy get a $20-$40 game over getting them a $400-$500 console. Plus kids will be less likely to bitch about a little latency or subpar resolution.

Ding ding ding.

Spend time with kids under the age of 12 and see what they do nowadays - they consume SOOOO much youtube (all but replaced regular TV from what I have seen). When that little popup says PLAY NOW BLAH BLAH AND BEAT MR COOL GUY YOUTUBER it will make bank.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sounds like a nice start before beta even opens.

Really excited for streaming options in the future - will make quality gaming even more accessible.