• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

We have now confirmed, the 2 Nigerian men who were picked up by police at O'Hare Airport are black. Police say the 2 men are the same ones who were captured on surveillance video around the time of the incident.

Police said the Nigerians were on the security camera. Jussie himself never identified the Nigerians.
Those same police just now released those Nigerians, with reports being they are no longer suspects.

So if anybody got something wrong it seems it could've been the CPD who possibly arrested the wrong people.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There is litterally only a 60 second window off camera in which he could have been attacked. He walked off camera, then just minute later he reappeared with the noose, and those two people are the only ones the police found in the footage. You think another pair of people just happened to catch him in that single blind spot, assaulted him in 60 seconds, but weren't captured leaving the area, while those two and him were captured leaving in opposite directions?

A lot can happen in 60 seconds. Have you personally seen the video? If so, do you have a link because I can't seem to find it on google. Please don't post unconfirmed reports about it though.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
How so, the initial unconfirmed report was that they were part of the conspiracy in order to save his job. Yet, we now know that he was never going to lose his job and these guys had nothing to do with the attack. You guys are twisting everything against Smollett. When these guys were arrested people were saying it wasn't looking good for Smollett since they are Nigerian and went against Smollett's account. Now that they were released by police you guys are saying it doesn't look good for Smollett again. Jesus fucking Christ.
Everyone has watched too many narrative driven crime dramas and are looking for twists in real life scenarios when things seem too 'weird'. So they are latching onto this conspiracy that Jussie orchestrated the attack no matter how new facts shake out. Figuratively shoving square pegs in round holes to fit this narrative because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that every crime doesn't have a clear cut A -> B conclusion.

Hell even watching crime dramas you'd think people could come up with plausible explanations why XYZ is happening in this case. You see all the time on like Law&Order why suspects are let go, why detectives keep looking for more evidence, why witness statements may be unintentionally misleading or inaccurate, why famous victims may hire lawyers, etc.

But naw, let's keep blaming Jussie because that somehow makes more sense because 'reasons'. A famous gay black man carried out an attack on himself for some nebulous benefit is somehow more credible a theory vs. an actual hate crime occurred and at the moment there is not enough evidence to find/convict any suspects. *thinking emoji*

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope we get the full truth and Justice for Jussie after all of the dust settles, this is just a very odd story.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Holy cow, What a story...

Indeed. I become more and more dubious of TMZ and their trickle information spew. I don't know if "the public deserves to know" as an investigation plays out like in this case seeing as it throws the public into a conspiracy-mongering frenzy. This is particularly shitty when an actual serious violent crime is at the center. It all gives me anxiety.

Adonis

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So after the arrest they have now released them but have gained some leads into the investigation??

That's crazy

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Indeed. I become more and more dubious of TMZ and their trickle information spew. I don't know if "the public deserves to know" as an investigation plays out like in this case seeing as it throws the public into a conspiracy-mongering frenzy. This is particularly shitty when an actual serious violent crime is at the center. It all gives me anxiety.
Yup.

I don't really see it as "something's fishy" as much as I see it as "nothing stays pinned down". Every time the case is going somewhere that looks like a conclusion, something happens or someone reports something that just churns shit up.

Everyone was talking like we were so sure the siblings would be charged, I'll admit that I was behaving like it was a closure to the incident and we all finally had something to hang our hats on, that we had some stability in the discussion. And suddenly, the tea table got up-ended yet again.

It's part of why "the facts don't add up" never really washed with me, especially considering the flimsy arguments it was used to prop up right from the get-go. The more pressing concern is that none of what we apparently "know" stays that way. We're essentially back at square one. And that's incredibly frustrating.
This is what I was getting at in my last posts. Just look at how wild this all is. People should be able to try and hash it all out in the open ( so long as they're doing so in a non-trollish manner) without fear of being perma-banned

You... might not want this fella to be the poster boy of your cause. As you may recall from the beginning of the thread, he was the first to go down this road, stating on the first page that Smollett's assault was suspicious from the get-go because it was 2am and cold outside, which meant that the attack required premeditation that apparently racists are incapable of... somehow. You even responded to him with disapproval over his behaviour and he got banned for floating conspiracy theories.

In that context, what does the post of his that you quoted appear to be? Because I don't think it's emblematic of your point.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yup.

I don't really see it as "something's fishy" as much as I see it as "nothing stays pinned down". Every time the case is going somewhere that looks like a conclusion, something happens or someone reports something that just churns shit up.

Everyone was talking like we were so sure the siblings would be charged, I'll admit that I was behaving like it was a closure to the incident and we all finally had something to hang our hats on, that we had some stability in the discussion. And suddenly, the tea table got up-ended yet again.

It's part of why "the facts don't add up" never really washed with me, especially considering the flimsy arguments it was used to prop up right from the get-go. The more pressing concern is that none of what we apparently "know" stays that way. We're essentially back at square one. And that's incredibly frustrating.

You... might not want this fella to be the poster boy of your cause. As you may recall from the beginning of the thread, he was the first to go down this road, stating on the first page that Smollett's assault was suspicious from the get-go because it was 2am and cold outside, which meant that the attack required premeditation that apparently racists are incapable of... somehow. You even responded to him with disapproval over his behaviour and he got banned for floating conspiracy theories.

In that context, what does the post you quoted appear to be? Because I don't think it's emblematic of your point.

Ugghhhhh , is that true? I don't check post history when replying. I should do that. Like you said though that shit made me mad as hell, honest mistake quoting the wrong person
. There's just so much to unpack , more new stuff everyday. I think people would be more open to lay out all their fears, their doubts about this for us to dissect and review vs. being silent over a possible ban.
The mod reply to my post was all I was trying to get at, definitely not flying any sort of sympathy flag for the people who clearly posted in bad faith.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ugghhhhh , is that true? I don't check post history when replying. I should do that. Like you said though that shit made me mad as hell, honest mistake quoting the wrong person
. There's just so much to unpack , more new stuff everyday. I think people would be more open to lay out all their fears, their doubts about this for us to dissect and review vs. being silent over a possible ban.
The mod reply to my post was all I was trying to get at, definitely not flying any sort of sympathy flag for the people who clearly posted in bad faith.
I know, but it's illustrative of my prior point that I discussed with you and... yeah, didn't want you to catch flak from someone else who may have been... less elegant about it.

I think there was a way to openly discuss fears and concerns, but those posting in bad faith in a manner that either directly or indirectly discredits the victim basically poisoned that well. Consider it another way in which the wrong people control the narrative by making bad faith discourse the default assumption.

Oct 25, 2017
d56.gif

I don't understand why they were released, does this mean that the attackers are still at large?

Last edited:

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
User Banned (Permanent): Continuous thread derailment with hostility towards staff. History of severe infractions.
I hope this thread has generated a good long discussion and a shitload of introspection and consideration from the moderation team regarding the standards and quality of moderation on this forum.

Instead of just over-reacting and banning dissenting opinions, maybe there should have been an attempt to engage with people to try to understand why they thought the whole story was fishy (which it is now well beyond any reasonable doubt).

Instead, this whole thing was turned into a massive race/culture war where those with power abused it to shut out those they didn't agree with and then got egg all over their faces when all of the doubts people had initially were shown to be legitimate and not just borne out of "white privilege" or whatever buzzword insult was being thrown around.

I couldn't give three fucking shits about this guy and before this thread I didn't even know who he was. I certainly don't give a shit about whether he set this whole thing up or not and am only here because this episode is a perfect illustration of what is wrong with this place.

Who am I kidding? Introspection? Yeah right! It's just easier to ban people and bury your heads in the sand.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope this thread has generated a good long discussion and a shitload of introspection and consideration from the moderation team regarding the standards and quality of moderation on this forum.

Instead of just over-reacting and banning dissenting opinions, maybe there should have been an attempt to engage with people to try to understand why they thought the whole story was fishy (which it is now well beyond any reasonable doubt).

Instead, this whole thing was turned into a massive race/culture war where those with power abused it to shut out those they didn't agree with and then got egg all over their faces when all of the doubts people had initially were shown to be legitimate and not just borne out of "white privilege" or whatever buzzword insult was being thrown around.

I couldn't give three fucking shits about this guy and before this thread I didn't even know who he was. I certainly don't give a shit about whether he set this whole thing up or not and am only here because this episode is a perfect illustration of what is wrong with this place.

Who am I kidding? Introspection? Yeah right! It's just easier to ban people and bury your heads in the sand.
You really should warn people to put on safety goggles before you start grinding that axe.

There is another community I can think of with less stringent moderation policy that sounds more up your alley.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

So you don't care about this situation but just came in here now that you have some nebulous ammo to aim at the mods while doing some gloating too? Wow keep fighting the good fight you brave hero of ERA. What would we do without people like you really opening up and expanding the discussion?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Enjoy the rest of the internet.

Who are we kidding - you'll be back.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
That TMZ report really fucked things up.

I
dont think there's a problem with the police trying to see if they were responsible for the attacks, and I hope that the person who leaks the investigation to TMZ gets ripped a new one.
This what's wrong with people in American believing everything they see on the news, instead of using common sense or judgement for themself.

what happened to waiting for a police report/ statement instead of people believing shitty report from tmz stating the two brothers were going to get charged.

First time commenting on this story, just find the whole thing fascinating due to all the reporting going on. Which distracted the real issue of who attacked Jussie. Hopefully the police can catch the right guy with the new info they got from the 2 Nigerian brothers hopefully he get hid

Also lol at post and reaction going on here

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're arguing in bad faith.

I wish I made my cousin up. He is very real and once pointed an AK-47 at me as a joke. Has two kids, a low/paying job, and spends a good chunk of his money buying guns every month.

Sounds very convenient to me. You just happen to be questioning a gay black man who was attacked, and you just happen to have this super racist cousin who pointed a gun at you like a mad person?

Got any proof of that?

astro

Oct 25, 2017

If you're reading this: "white privilege" is an actual thing, not an insult.

Maybe spend 5 minutes googling it some time.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
When there's false reports in the press stating that the investigation is turning towards it being a co-ordinated hoax perpetrated by you, even if you're not guilty, you're telling me you wouldn't line up a lawyer?

How are you so confident that the reports are false? At what point do you allow for skepticism in this rigid structure of yours where alleged victims remain perceived victims? Forever?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
It is never a bad idea to involve a lawyer when interacting with the police. They hold all the cards, and you don't know what kind of shit they may try to pull. Especially on a black man.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How are you so confident that the reports are false? At what point do you allow for skepticism in this rigid structure of yours where alleged victims remain perceived victims? Forever?
Because the police made a statement that he wasn't a suspect, that no evidence has been found to support the story being peddled and the suggested motive (that he was being written off the show) was disproven by the production company.
Should a bystander to this utter circus not take first-hand information like that at face value over 2nd-hand information? Or do we simply widen the net of the hoax to include the Chicago PD and Fox as co-conspirators? Tough choice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When there's false reports in the press stating that the investigation is turning towards it being a co-ordinated hoax perpetrated by you, even if you're not guilty, you're telling me you wouldn't line up a lawyer?

After the two men were interrogated and released he lawyered up. Just compounds the confusion around the event is all.

People were arguably wrongly shouting hoax from the beginning, including media outlets, but at this point now in the investigation, the lawyers are called on.

I mean, it's my understanding he would have had a lawyer from the start, but apparently, the reporting now is he's brought in some big gun defence attorney? That's what I implied is a bit wild unless I've totally been misled. Which I wouldn't rule out due to the terrible gossip reporting around this whole thing.

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man,

Why is everyone listening to TMZ like it isn't a racist as shit right-wing mouthpiece with an agenda.

Believe victims, wait for the distance to settle and don't conspiracy theory to try and connect the crumbs of info you have.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
After the two men were interrogated and released he lawyered up. Just compounds the confusion around the event is all.
That is when his attorney decided to reveal he had been retained. That does not indicate when he was retained. Considering all of the confusion that abounds regarding this case, it's important to make very clear distinctions in the information presented to us.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is when his attorney decided to reveal he had been retained. That does not indicate when he was retained. Considering all of the confusion that abounds regarding this case, it's important to make very clear distinctions in the information presented to us.

Fair enough, that clears that up. The media reporting around this has been a dumpster fire.

Some reporter from Fox News is now tweeting saying cops let them know they took bleach from Smollett's home, but a search of his home was probably done as routine from the start. But the tweet makes it sound like the cops just went and searched his home after the 2 men were released.

Oct 27, 2017

People were arguably wrongly shouting hoax from the beginning, including media outlets, but at this point now in the investigation, the lawyers are called on.

I mean, it's my understanding he would have had a lawyer from the start, but apparently, the reporting now is he's brought in some big gun defence attorney? That's what I implied is a bit wild unless I've totally been misled. Which I wouldn't rule out due to the terrible gossip reporting around this whole thing.
This is inaccurate. The tweet about him hiring a new lawyer came hours before the two suspects were released.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Fair enough, that clears that up. The media reporting around this has been a dumpster fire.

Some reporter from Fox News is now tweeting saying cops let them know they took bleach from Smollett's home, but a search of his home was probably done as routine from the start. But the tweet makes it sound like the cops just went and searched his home after the 2 men were released.

What a stupid thing to release to the press. It doesn't jive saying he's a victim but also wink and nudge we took a bottle of bleach from his home and you know what THAT means. The police are trying to color the public perception when they should just be doing their fucking jobs.

Nov 1, 2017

I mean...it's not uncommon to have bleach in your home

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finding bleach in someone's home is common. How can that be used as evidence?

At a stretch I guess bottle fingerprinting? Such as comparing fingerprinting of the two men arrested. Considering they apparently knew, worked with and are friends of some sorts with Jussie. While it's likely you and your friends both buy the same brand of bleach, it's more unlikely your friend's fingerprints would be all over the bleach from your home.

Bleach is bleach, you ain't tracking no brand of bleach and even if you could... multiple people will likely buy the same brand.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What a stupid thing to release to the press. It doesn't jive saying he's a victim but also wink and nudge we took a bottle of bleach from his home and you know what THAT means. The police are trying to color the public perception when they should just be doing their fucking jobs.
Seems to me like members of the CPD releasing info to the press aren't directly part of the investigation and, since they've already had to make statements about incorrect media reports to the public, said individuals likely don't have their facts straight, either through malice or stupidity. And it's not making the situation any better.

What reports? I don't see any that states he identified the two. They were arrested based on camera footage from the area.
I didn't see this either.

For anyone with an interest in this news story, there's still so much misinformation floating around that could be mitigated by simply watching Jussie in his own words. Highly recommend watching this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXLx5OY21Bk

At 4:03 he says:
For me, when that [photo] was released, I was like...ok, we're getting somewhere. I don't have any doubt in my mind that that's them.

In this interview he also retells his side of the attack, including that it was mostly carried out by one masked man, and he could only see his eyes. The second person, he only saw running away. He apparently did not state the race of the attackers, nor that they were wearing MAGA hats.

They called me a f*****, they called me a n*****. There's no which-way you cut it, I don't need some MAGA hat as the cherry on top of some racist sundae.

He also clears up what was asked of him regarding the phone: the police technician wanted it for 3 to 4 hours. It wasn't just a quick glance, but neither does it seem like it was intended to fully enter into police custody for up to days/weeks.

Regarding whether he was admitted into a hospital, he says "I walked into the hospital, I walked out of the hospital." So he did visit.

It should be noted that anything said in this interview is not necessarily what he told police, but honestly it's near enough required watching for anyone following this.

Last edited:

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Should a bystander to this utter circus not take first-hand information like that at face value over 2nd-hand information? Or do we simply widen the net of the hoax to include the Chicago PD and Fox as co-conspirators? Tough choice.

This is disingenuous af. If it WAS a hoax or something other than straight assault (which of course it still could be), then of course the police and news agencies would have false information initially, but not because it's a conspiracy. I think there is enough going on with this case that a reasonable person can ask questions without needing your permission or seal of approval.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is disingenuous af. If it WAS a hoax or something other than straight assault (which of course it still could be), then of course the police and news agencies would have false information initially, but not because it's a conspiracy. I think there is enough going on with this case that a reasonable person can ask questions without needing your permission or seal of approval.
So... is that a no to the first question you quoted then?

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
So... is that a no to the first question you quoted then?

You take it ALL into account. You literally bashed CPD in the post above. I don't see why, at this point, I have to put ALL my stock into one version of events as you have done.

Edit: if we have to get an update every time they find bleach in a house, we'll get a lot of updates.

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You take it ALL into account. You literally bashed CPD in the post above. I don't see why, at this point, I have to put ALL my stock into one version of events as you have done.
I bashed CPD officers not actually involved in the case, as a possible explanation for the misreporting that CPD officers who ARE involved in the case denounced as not factual, yes. You make it sound like that's somehow inconsistent.

But thank you, that's a pretty clear "no" from you regarding whether or not we should be taking officers involved in the investigation and the company producing the show he works on at face value when they state for the record that there's no evidence to support a hoax, no investigation occurring in that direction and that the motive alleged is non-existent.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting the impression literally anything that could've happened with the Nigerian men would be seen as evidence of a hoax

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: if we have to get an update every time they find bleach in a house, we'll get a lot of updates.

I understand what you're trying to say (check my post history) as I have echoed similar things about people being allowed to ask reasonable questions.

But I've had enough time to really think about it. If you're being fair and objective about this, there really isn't any other "version" that isn't a conspiracy.

Jussie alleges he was attacked. While some of the details seem extreme, they are not impossible in a country as racist as America. We should believe him and let the investigation proceed. That's it. If it's a hoax, he'll be dealt with appropriately.

Everything else is either you making up hypothetical scenarios that are prone to your biases or incompetent people releasing half truths or outright falsities to incite outrage or "win the culture war".

There really is no other "ALL" to take into account. We have a guy who says he was attacked, and an investigation in process. Once it is complete and details released, we can begin to discuss that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.