• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because turned over phone records to police that were heavily edited. Police then subpoenaed his phone records from his service provider and found the numbers he deleted, including those of the suspects. That is apparently one of the things the led the police to the two.

There's just a growing amount of smoke around Smollett that would lead a person to believe there's a possibility he's not completely innocent. I'd be perfectly happy to concede that he is innocent if evidence supports it but there seems to be a growing amount that contradicts it.

Source? I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and aren't reading some crazy ass conspiracy theory sites

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There's just a growing amount of smoke around Smollett that would lead a person to believe there's a possibility he's not completely innocent. I'd be perfectly happy to concede that he is innocent if evidence supports it but there seems to be a growing amount that contradicts it.
Are you an investigator working the case? You are not, so I don't understand how or why that would concern you, you know? Unless you're looking for a reason to doubt, and what good does that do, how does it help Jussie or any investigation?
I could do without unfounded and personal attacks.

I'm not gonna sit here and let somebody insinuate that i (a black british guy) am behaving like a nazi for appreciating mod work.

thanks!
You're sarcastically trolling the thread. Of course people don't really dig that.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
User warned: inappropriate joke in a sensitive topic
The details released cement the idea that it is a hate crime currently.

I'll be impressed if Jussie managed to hold his own after getting jumped by these guys
46a0c8cbf477e054eec60789c2f516a0

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You're sarcastically trolling the thread. Of course people don't really dig that.

I'd rather respond to personal attacks with a cheeky hip hop gif, sue me.

it's kinda disappointing that you are calling me out rather than the poster jumping to the nastiest conclusion over a simple preference in how the thread is moving...

yo im actually done

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Because turned over phone records to police that were heavily edited. Police then subpoenaed his phone records from his service provider and found the numbers he deleted, including those of the suspects. That is apparently one of the things the led the police to the two.

Again that police blog/Tumbler that was the source of that "information" was proven false yesterday. These two suspects were tracked down by cameras.

On Thursday, police were describing them only as "persons of interest" and Guglielmi emphasized then that they were not suspects. It was not known what has changed since then.

Detectives tracked them down through surveillance cameras in the Streeterville area, where Smollett says two men shouted racial and homophobic slurs at him late last month, hit him and wrapped a rope around his neck while yelling, "This is MAGA country!"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...llett-persons-of-interest-20190215-story.html

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yo, you gotta source shit like this. And a lot of y'all ain't shit.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is all wrong tho yeah?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

A half hour later and still no sources on this?

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people ain't slick. We can feel you frothing at the mouth.
Yup. All I'll say for now is it's very interesting comparing this threads to threads like say this one for instance:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bu...s-shot-and-killed-by-california-police.99403/

Wherein, people clearly have no problem believing official accounts from the police and eat that stuff up like it's nothing. Oh sure, it's definitely strange that someone would just fall asleep in the drive-through of a fast-food restaurant with a gun just sitting in their lap, but not strange enough to make them wonder just how truthful the police is really being there when they say they absolutely had to shoot that man, and there was no way around it. Very few people commenting on how weird it is and proposing alternative explanations there and what if, say, the gun was actually in the glovebox or something and the police only moved it to his lap afterwords and went with that as the story to justify a homicide. Just takin' it all wholesale there, despite comments of how how weird it is, nonetheless very little "just asking questions" stuff and just accepting it all more or less at face value anyway.

But here, this is when people start asking questions? About a victim of a racist attack? That's when people suddenly feel like asking questions? What motive would he even have to lie about this stuff? And "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer, if people are so much as going to imply that's where they're leaning on this. You can't be all "I don't know" on one of the most important parts, if you're going to make that kind of implication or even pose it as an equal possibility. Because, like, people are sayin' this is fishy, but if that's the case, isn't it "fishy" as people say that they can't come up with a believable motive as to why he would stage a hoax or lie about this, or anything of the sort, and suddenly STOP asking questions, and all those questions that were oh-so-important beforehand suddenly stop being important at all and are just waved off.

The motive for why someone would do something such as the alleged attack is easy: racism, homophobia, etc. The motive for fakin'? When the best people could come up with was stuff like "he's totally being written off the show and was enraged by that" when that was such nonsense that Fox themselves came out and said what garbage that was in no uncertain terms, well, that just demonstrates to me how weak that case looks right now (and that the same people that were "just asking questions" were suddenly oh-so-happy to jump over that particular rumor, not even stopping to wonder why that made just as little sense, that they suddenly stopped asking questions and were suddenly satisfied by that regardless despite the questions that itself would raise, really shows how hollow that is. If you're indeed just asking questions and just confused or whatever, why would you suddenly stop when something like that's posted? Why would that suddenly get you to stop asking questions, if that's where you're coming from, despite the questions it itself raises).

That people say there just asking questions, but yet they're willing to overlook one of the most important things, motive, and just treat that like it's no big deal and just keep going down that road about things not sounding right or adding up, while trying at the same time to just kick that whole motive can down the road and out of their minds, is what really gets me about all this.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
^^^ I need a lot more thumbs to give this the amount of thumbs up it deserves.
Err what? That's like...yeah it definitely falls in line with it. Especially if it's what prompted the attack.

Still a hate crime
Saying homophobia is "having a problem" with someone is like categorizing a decapitation as a flesh wound. What I'm saying is that it's a reductive way of describing the situation, as though it falls into the same category as being mad at the guy at work who eats other people's lunches.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People's need to post random shit and not back it up in the guise of just asking questions is why I'm giving the side eye to most people in here trying to do the same thing

People just refuse to admit to their inherent biases or to even consider that it is clouding what they would normally think.

Fucking hell we have two people arrested and people are still saying "doesn't mean he didn't make it up" in a non-ironic manner

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
A half hour later and still no sources on this?
I'm posting while also at work. Sorry for the lack of instant gratification. I updated my original post to include the following:

Here's the source for his phone records being insufficient.
Here's the source for Smollett being considered as involved in orchestrating the event.
Here's the source for the subpoena. This site doesn't look as reliable as the others, but I'm seeing ABC7 reporters referencing a subpoena on Twitter.

Again, as I mentioned in my original post, I'd be perfectly happy to concede that he is innocent if evidence points towards otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
Charging them with battery doesn't really indicate anything specifically. It can mean:

1- The police are done and have decided for whatever reason these guys decided to target and attack their co-worker/friend. The fact that they charged the two brothers and made no statement makes this option seem less likely.

2 - they needed a reason to hold these guys further while they continued to dig into what went down, so they charged them with battery since they were proven to be in the location when the event occurred and there's a victim saying two men attacked him at that time and at that location.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Go through my post history if you need to, I was infuriated during the initial phases of this story and happy to call those doubting people out.
However, I'm now so worried about the potential repercussions a hoax would bring about that I am 100% ok with people now trying their best to ascertain the truth. Even if that means they're " asking questions", being that they're doing so in good faith. Does that make sense? What a mess this is

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Go through my post history if you need to, I was infuriated during the initial phases of this story and happy to call those doubting people out.
However, I'm now so worried about the potential repercussions a hoax would bring about that I am 100% ok with people now trying their best to ascertain the truth. Even if that means they're " asking questions", being that they're doing so in good faith. Does that make sense? What a mess this is

I've never understood this line of thought. The people that don't believe victims are not going to start anytime soon, and I would hope those that do believe victims wouldn't stop doing so on the rare occasion of a high profile hoax.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I only see three possibilities at this point:

-The police are wrong, through incompetence or malice
-He was attacked by the two guys, and either purposefully embellished the attack or unwittingly gave a false report of a traumatic event
-He was working with the two guys

I guess it's better to wait for more information?

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What repercussions would those be? I mean, I know what you mean to say here: that people won't believe anyone the next time. But the fact that we're already playing that game in the first place, that people are already doing that before all the facts have been, and really, people have been trying that from the beginning in regards to this incident... what would be the difference in the end, exactly, considering that? That people already have such doubts regardless show that those type of beliefs already are here, they already do exist, people already do have them. That's the tragic reality. The fact that people are doubting regardless shows the damage has already been done regardless of how this turns out. Nothing will change either way, that's the thing. That has been, and still is the status quo, so even in the event this all ends up somehow being a hoax, what will actually changed when clearly there were many people that never believed it regardless? What would have changed? Nothing, because that's where we already were, at least that's my take, and why stuff like this comes off as strange to me because the fact that we're even having discussions such as this shows we're already there regardless.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
There was an account of a neighbor of Smollett's who described seeing a strange man, white
I only see three possibilities at this point:

-The police are wrong, through incompetence or malice
-He was attacked by the two guys, and either purposefully embellished the attack or unwittingly gave a false report of a traumatic event
-He was working with the two guys

I guess it's better to wait for more information?

Those are big dudes. Smollett sustained minor physical injuries.

They may have been trying to scare him more than hurt him.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
My post was honestly just trying to diffuse some of the back and forth in here by trying to see where some people are coming from. People are rightly heated. I don't think every person confused by this story had a nefarious motive. To be 10000% clear, even if this turns out to be a hoax I'll never not side with the victim of an attack like this.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm posting while also at work. Sorry for the lack of instant gratification. I updated my original post to include the following:

Here's the source for Smollett being considered as involved in orchestrating the event.
Here's the source for the subpoena. This site doesn't look as reliable as the others, but I'm seeing ABC7 reporters referencing a subpoena on Twitter.

Again, as I mentioned in my original post, I'd be perfectly happy to concede that he is innocent if evidence points towards otherwise.
Nigga you said that those 2 men were amongst the phone records Jussie removed for privacy reasons! Source that please.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. All I'll say for now is it's very interesting comparing this threads to threads like say this one for instance:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bu...s-shot-and-killed-by-california-police.99403/

Wherein, people clearly have no problem believing official accounts from the police and eat that stuff up like it's nothing. Oh sure, it's definitely strange that someone would just fall asleep in the drive-through of a fast-food restaurant with a gun just sitting in their lap, but not strange enough to make them wonder just how truthful the police is really being there when they say they absolutely had to shoot that man, and there was no way around it. Very few people commenting on how weird it is and proposing alternative explanations there and what if, say, the gun was actually in the glovebox or something and the police only moved it to his lap afterwords and went with that as the story to justify a homicide. Just takin' it all wholesale there, despite comments of how how weird it is, nonetheless very little "just asking questions" stuff and just accepting it all more or less at face value anyway.

But here, this is when people start asking questions? About a victim of a racist attack? That's when people suddenly feel like asking questions? What motive would he even have to lie about this stuff? And "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer, if people are so much as going to imply that's where they're leaning on this. You can't be all "I don't know" on one of the most important parts, if you're going to make that kind of implication or even pose it as an equal possibility. Because, like, people are sayin' this is fishy, but if that's the case, isn't it "fishy" as people say that they can't come up with a believable motive as to why he would stage a hoax or lie about this, or anything of the sort, and suddenly STOP asking questions, and all those questions that were oh-so-important beforehand suddenly stop being important at all and are just waved off.

The motive for why someone would do something such as the alleged attack is easy: racism, homophobia, etc. The motive for fakin'? When the best people could come up with was stuff like "he's totally being written off the show and was enraged by that" when that was such nonsense that Fox themselves came out and said what garbage that was in no uncertain terms, well, that just demonstrates to me how weak that case looks right now (and that the same people that were "just asking questions" were suddenly oh-so-happy to jump over that particular rumor, not even stopping to wonder why that made just as little sense, that they suddenly stopped asking questions and were suddenly satisfied by that regardless despite the questions that itself would raise, really shows how hollow that is. If you're indeed just asking questions and just confused or whatever, why would you suddenly stop when something like that's posted? Why would that suddenly get you to stop asking questions, if that's where you're coming from, despite the questions it itself raises).

That people say there just asking questions, but yet they're willing to overlook one of the most important things, motive, and just treat that like it's no big deal and just keep going down that road about things not sounding right or adding up, while trying at the same time to just kick that whole motive can down the road and out of their minds, is what really gets me about all this.
Did you just compare a story with a bunch of eyewitnesses to one with none? That makes a shit load of sense.

Oct 25, 2017

That second source was debunked by police yesterday and reiterated today. The third source is garbage. Where is the source that Smollett had contacted the brothers and redacted the numbers?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is all wrong tho, right?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

The third source is the same blog/Tumblr nonsense that was proven false yesterday. The second source's "insider information" was not only proven false yesterday since it was also based on the third source, but within the same article they say there is no evidence that this is a hoax/are treating Smollett as a victim.

Meantime, two sources with intimate knowledge of the investigation tells CBS 2 Investigator Brad Edwards the attack on Smollett was potentially orchestrated by the actor himself, and involved two other men.

But police said while there is no evidence documenting the alleged attack, there is also no evidence to say it is a hoax. They said Smollett is being cooperative at this time and continues to be treated as a victim, not a suspect.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get someone to update the OP? That way people don't keep recycling disproved talking points.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally been called racist, dumb, homophobic, doubter of victims, and more all because I said "this story sounds weird and here is why". If that's how things should work in your mind, cool, but I see it as being far from ideal.

Also, we're attempting to have this strange conversation where you're allowed to say almost anything you want to me, including direct insults, but I'm not even allowed to actually present my position in full because I could get banned for doing so. I like this forum (faults and all), so I'd rather not get banned, and thus I'm not going to fully respond to you unless the rules around this discussion change. Frankly, I probably won't respond to you even if the thread rules do change shortly, because I'm not petty like that.

I just hope this story ultimately leads to some rule changes around here that allow for skepticism when it might be warranted, even around sensitive subjects like this one.

This seems like a pretty reasonable and non-inflammatory post. I am not sure why this has gotten a permanent ban.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would he "be in on it" or try to make this up in any way? How does that make literally any sense? I find like 99.9% of "blame the victim" skepticism falls apart on the simplest shit like "motivation."

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Truth

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's some rando conflicting with the police, yeah?
It's not, it's local ABC/CBS reporters who are getting accurate info on other stuff that's lining up 1:1, but there's major discrepancies between other stuff they are being leaked and what the official HQ line is elsewhere that are completely contradicting each other. Combined with the public developments yesterday and today w/ the raid/arrests, the whole situation is a complete mess where there is no obvious "correct" answer and the best thing for anyone observing this from afar to do is to just wait for further information to be put out there.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure. We have unconfirmed reports and we have the police making actual statements. I guess those are conflicting reports.

Unconfirmed reports, sure, but it's not like it's from "some rando" as another poster claimed. It's from an investigative reporter over at CBS 2 in Chicago who claims to have sources with "intimate knowledge of the investigation" that claim Smollett was potentially involved. That would be a pretty big fuck up for a journalist to put his name on the line like that.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/15/suspects-arrested-in-jussie-smollett-case/

Meanwhile the cops are saying that any claims of a hoax are "unconfirmed" and that any alleged sources are basically full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.