• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In this case there seems to be no legitimate reason to doubt Smollett's account of what happened. As such, any discussion of him faking the attack will be treated as victim blaming and actioned as such.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Some folks think emulating some trashcan CSI episode is of more importance than simply listening to and believing victims.
Well, somehow they think they're going to crack the case before the FBI does, based on the same news paper articles all of us have read. How a man staged his own racial attack and broke his own rib, and didn't even know he was simultaneously being staked out by two fans of the show.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, somehow they think they're going to crack the case before the FBI does, based on the same news paper articles all of us have read. How a man staged his own racial attack and broke his own rib, and didn't even know he was simultaneously being staked out by two fans of the show.
Must be nice to be privileged enough to treat real life hate crimes like TV shows

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks. The threatening letters are more persuasive of the attack being real than the posts implying that I am a racist.
Considering you knew so many of the other details but somehow didn't know that threatening letters were sent in the mail, which is the entire reason the FBI is currently involved (federal jurisdiction due to mailing hate speech to an assault victim)? Now THAT arouses skepticism.

One of two reactions to this post is possible:

1) you feel attacked for people not trusting your account of your own beliefs or that you were innocently suspicious

in which case you perhaps have a better understanding now of how absolutely revolting it is to cast doubt on a victim of assault, or...

2) you're panicking because you got caught and you'll lash out with feigned indignation

in which case, sucks when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus christ this thread got shitted up fast

Oct 27, 2017
In Chicago, at 2:00 am, he is recognized by two White Trump supporters wearing MAGA hats?

And the attackers are in possession of rope and a bottle of bleach, in freezing temperatures?

They attack him, place the noose around his neck, pour the bleach (or other liquid chemical, hurl racial and homophobic slurs at him and say "this is MAGA country" and then walk away?

How did they recognize him? How did they happen to be there at 2:00 am when he decided to go to Subway? Were they waiting on him and hoping that he would leave his home at that hour?

The surveillance the police have found shows Smollett returning to his building with a white rope around his neck. But so far, there hasn't been any surveillance found depicting the attack.

A neighbor says she took her dog out for a walk around midnight and saw a man that looked like a "redneck" smoking a cigarette outside the building.

How did this man know Smollett lives there? Is that public knowledge?

It's fair to be skeptical about this.

And someone else in this thread is asking for people who are being skeptical about this to just admit that they don't care about black people.

Of course I care, but this story just seems suspicious.

LlXlqSV.jpg

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Considering you knew so many of the other details but somehow didn't know that threatening letters were sent in the mail, which is the entire reason the FBI is currently involved (federal jurisdiction due to mailing hate speech to an assault victim)? Now THAT arouses skepticism.

One of two reactions to this post is possible:

1) you feel attacked for people not trusting your account of your own beliefs or that you were innocently suspicious

in which case you perhaps have a better understanding now of how absolutely revolting it is to cast doubt on a victim of assault, or...

2) you're panicking because you got caught and you'll lash out with feigned indignation

in which case, sucks when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?

Actually it appears I missed a few details.

1) I thought the current report was that the attackers were wearing MAGA hats. It seems the latest report does not include that detail.

2) I didn't know anything about the letters.

3) I didn't know that Smollett's agent was on the phone with him until earlier today.

Oct 31, 2017
Really, trump supporters have gone on premeditated mass shootings and shipped bombs to multiple people... why would anyone honestly be skeptical that they would plan a nonsensically violent attack?

The "skeptics" won't be convinced until they see bodies and then they'll make excuses for the killers.

trump supporters have shot up yoga studios targeting and killing innocent women, used vehicles to run into people, literally shoot random black people in stores, target churches and synagogues, etc

fucking seriously, you have to have your head up your ass to be skeptical about this story at this point

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actually it appears I missed a few details.

1) I thought the current report was that the attackers were wearing MAGA hats. It seems the latest report does not include that detail.

2) I didn't know anything about the letters.

3) I didn't know that Smollett's agent was on the phone with him until earlier today.
Well isn't that interesting. Perhaps your suspicion should have prompted you to look for more details instead of just casting doubt on the victim without them? It's not like this isn't a highly-publicized hate crime investigation where that information wasn't immediately available. Heck, even the Era thread that originally reported the attack had these details.

Suspicion or intrigue should arouse curiosity about the details first and cast doubt (when it's legitimately warranted... hint: not here) second. Seems you missed a step.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really, trump supporters have gone on premeditated mass shootings and shipped bombs to multiple people... why would anyone honestly be skeptical that they would plan a nonsensically violent attack?

The "skeptics" won't be convinced until they see bodies and then they'll make excuses for the killers.

An honest to god mindset that when black people complain about racist actions, it's an attempt to "get" white america. That's why diet racists like vonnegut up there think that a completely unrelated black woman claiming she was assaulted by white men when it was actually black men who did it, somehow makes this specific incident, "suspicious." Because, while he won't outright say it, what he's very clearly implying is that there is a chance this is being made up to stroke some anti-white people movement.

Oct 31, 2017
An honest to god mindset that when black people complain about racist actions, it's an attempt to "get" white america. That's why diet racists like vonnegut up there think that a completely unrelated black woman claiming she was assaulted by white men when it was actually black men who did it, somehow makes this specific incident, "suspicious." Because, while he won't outright say it, what he's very clearly implying is that there is a chance this is being made up to stroke some anti-white people movement.

You're right and it's disgusting. We have to deal with their constant physical attacks and gas lighting mental abuse.

Oct 25, 2017
reflexive skeptics don't get to feel smug for being right if they doubt every single victim of racism or homophobia

after all, a broken clock is right twice a day

Last edited:

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Conspiratorial Thread Derailment and Hostility

Your holier-than-thou attitude is obnoxious. You can call me a racist all you want but to me all it shows is that your real life sucks and you like to make yourself feel better by passing judgment about people online.

You call me diet racist, but you're full-blown asshole.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all it shows is that your real life sucks and you like to make yourself feel better by passing judgment about people online.

talk about a lack of self awareness to post something like this, after pages and pages of clueless posts as though anybody gives half a shit about your "concern" or "suspicion"

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
talk about a lack of self awareness to post something like this, after pages and pages of clueless posts as though anybody gives half a shit about your "concern" or "suspicion"

Likewise, I don't care about your mob mentality.

Believe whatever the hell you want if it makes you feel good about yourself.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised that people are somehow victim blaming and acting like anything about this is out of the ordinary for minorites/POC, but here we are.

Nothing about this case is remotely shifty.

There is nothing unrealistic about a couple of racist pieces of shit premeditating an assault like this. It's happened plenty of times in the past, and it'll happen plenty of times going forward. My own dad was on the receiving end of one something like 10 years ago, and he's no well-known star.

Fucking ridiculous. I swear.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are these people:

You being a "liberal" and voting for Democrats doesn't mean a good goddamn thing.

Yup, you are what what your actions say you are. Saying you don't believe a black guy who said he was assaulted by MAGA wearing racists because:

the story a few months ago about a young black girl who was shot to death while sitting in her family's car, and her mother reported that she saw a white man driving away in his truck...It turned out that the people who shot the child were two black men.

expresses an bigoted view of some sort of coordinated effort by black people to smear white america. That's a racist as fuck mindset. "I don't believe this black man, because of this other completely unrelated black woman."

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goddamn you'd think if you cast doubt about this story earlier you'd have either disappeared or shut the fuck up by now. But nope, we got the same idiots proudly plugging away

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that he's ok. It sounds like he's a great person.

Fuck the scumbags who did this to him.

Oct 27, 2017
Update - Jussie never was hospitalized, and he suffered no broken bones in the attack.

From CNN:
During his concert Saturday night at West Hollywood's Troubadour club, Smollett told fans that he wanted to clarify that following the attack, he was bruised but his ribs were neither cracked nor broken. He also said that he went to the doctor immediately, but he wasn't hospitalized, and physicians in both Chicago and Los Angeles cleared him to perform at the concert.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's been clear that the early report of a broken rib was erroneous, since no subsequent story I saw mentioned it. But I don't know if that statement means he didn't go to the hospital to be examined, just that he wasn't admitted.
I think he's just saying he went to his doctor rather than to a hospital as had been reported. But you're right, that's not clear.

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's just saying he went to his doctor rather than to a hospital as had been reported. But you're right, that's not clear.

I assume the fact that he saw a "doctor immediately" means he saw an ER doctor, which would explain his clarification that he wasn't actually hospitalized. It sounds like he followed up with two physicians, who are maybe people he has seen before. I don't know that it ultimately matters that much, since I don't think Jussie himself ever said he had a broken rib or anything else that was serious other than cuts and bruises.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
What? The reporting around this attack has been truly bizarre.

The misreporting is highly annoying, as it's just fueling conspiracies that the attack wasn't a hate crime/Jussie Smollett was attacked for "other reasons" and is lying to cover it up.

Nov 8, 2017
https://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/02/...fs4-o1RNiDdcNpDyTukqV54_6Qjr4oeOrdYtM1QTi99hA

" Chicago police today are questioning two persons of interest in the Jussie Smollett hate crime investigation, according to a department spokesperson. Both are African-American. Smollett, who police say "has been questioned throughout" their investigation is also being interrogated."

"TMZ reported that the persons of interest are an actor who has appeared with Smollett on Fox television's Empire and a person who was traveling with the second actor. These individuals are believed to be the "potential persons of interest" who were seen in low-quality images released by Chicago police days after the alleged attack, according to a police spokesperson.

TMZ also reported that police used "rideshare and/or taxicab records" to identify the "persons of interest" and to track their movements on the night of the purported attack."

The story gets crazier by the day...

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/02/...fs4-o1RNiDdcNpDyTukqV54_6Qjr4oeOrdYtM1QTi99hA

" Chicago police today are questioning two persons of interest in the Jussie Smollett hate crime investigation, according to a department spokesperson. Both are African-American. Smollett, who police say "has been questioned throughout" their investigation is also being interrogated."

"TMZ reported that the persons of interest are an actor who has appeared with Smollett on Fox television's Empire and a person who was traveling with the second actor. These individuals are believed to be the "potential persons of interest" who were seen in low-quality images released by Chicago police days after the alleged attack, according to a police spokesperson.

TMZ also reported that police used "rideshare and/or taxicab records" to identify the "persons of interest" and to track their movements on the night of the purported attack."

Oh man. That is not the bump I wanted to read :(

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Please let this not be true because it would be a shitstorm like no other. Like, why?

Detectives are detectives for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.