• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like back in season 2 he was making $360,000 from Empire. Most assume it went up in recent seasons. Hardly a salary someone should be dissatisfied about making.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Yikes.

This is just so confusing all around. Why did they guy do this if indeed he just made it all up? A cry for attention from an actor who didn't think they had the recognition they felt their deserved?

Because there's better ways than this.

The fact is that thousands are the victims if hate crime and this will never change that. We must never let the actions of people like this stop people from fighting against hate.

However, making up such things cannot be tolerated and there needs to be consequence, preferably community led restorative justice if the allegations of the whole thing being an act are proven.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017

This and the fact that he still had the damn Subway sandwich on him when he was on camera entering his condo make this all the funnier. I get if you get jumped and somebody throws a noose around your neck you're going to want to keep that evidence....but walking around with it around your neck still? Come on.

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes.

This is just so confusing all around. Why did they guy do this if indeed he just made it all up? A cry for attention from an actor who didn't think they had the recognition they felt their deserved?

Because there's better ways than this.

The fact is that thousands are the victims if hate crime and this will never change that. We must never let the actions of people like this stop people from fighting against hate.

However, making up such things cannot be tolerated and there needs to be consequence, preferably community led restorative justice if the allegations of the whole thing being an act are proven.
Supposedly he wanted a raise.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

giphy.gif

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
These are not actions of a man who has done crazy things just this once. There has to be a pattern . Folks need to ask the ones he worked with, did he do crazy things before all this or did he just snap

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly he wanted a raise.
Ok. Not quite sure how those two events are linked!

"I'm the victim of hate, this is clearly because you don't pay me enough"

This has all the hallmarks of someone who didn't think this all the way through.

Otherwise I'm about to be a victim of a savage attack by evil clowns with poisonous spiders, thus deserve to be promoted and given a 6 figure salary.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its not that much after having to pay your people, like agents etc
Agents take 20-25% and Smollett was also putting out albums, appearing in movies and guest hosting shows as well, so he was easily making over 300k after agent fees. It sure beats becoming a pariah and going to prison.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This has all the hallmarks of someone who didn't think this all the way through.

Otherwise I'm about to be a victim of a savage attack by evil clowns with poisonous spiders, this deserve to be promoted and given a 6 figure salary.

I think it was more like the attack would see him get offered higher paying roles.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they're saying that the security footage has him WALKING AROUND WITH THE NOOSE ON HIS NECK FOR 42 MINUTES?
Seems like it, yeah. Fucking ridiculous. Honestly if this shit came out earlier, we would have had less accusations between posters here and less bannings. But I guess that's a small problem compared to the bigger picture.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Otherwise I'm about to be a victim of a savage attack by evil clowns with poisonous spiders, thus deserve to be promoted and given a 6 figure salary.

He wanted to become a national figure by faking this attack . He wanted to use the sympathy and him being a nationwl
Figure to further his career

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, the letter was linked to him?!

Yeah, his lawyers have their work cut out for them if he doesn't see the inside of a cel.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe he actually thought he could get away with all of this. Like, damn.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is he mentally unstable.

How can anyone think such a dumb plan would work. He didn't even try to make it difficult for the police to catch him.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

I and I'm sure many others had no idea who he was until this happened. It definitely increased his name recognition, lol.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I like how mike garagos his defense attorney said he is innocent until proven guilty and we will prove his innocence and now police throws in the info they have his check and his footage and proof he wrote the letter.

Oct 27, 2017

I guess the thought process was that this would launch him to the A-list by boosting his profile. And I mean, he was right — how many people had heard about him before this story?

It's just that he got caught.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Otherwise I'm about to be a victim of a savage attack by evil clowns with poisonous spiders, this deserve to be promoted and given a 6 figure salary.

Well, let's look at the chain of events. He first sent himself a racist and homophobic letter with white powder on it. He was reportedly really angry that the letter didn't receive much attention, so he staged a racist and homophobic assault on himself. That did get a lot of attention. So I think what he thought would happen is that the assault would greatly raise his public profile through sympathy. With that profile raised the Empire creators would want to feature him on the show even more due to how much attention he was getting, and in turn that would mean his paycheck would increase. Of course as you said, it's all an example of someone that isn't actually think things out well.

Even Dutch had better plans than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.