• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
so even when jurors exercise their rights shit will just get pushed through at a later date

very cool

edit: for all the people going but but the law, look at what it actually gives us
the judge just deciding whatever the fuck he wants

What

The post described someone being the only one voting not guilty, which means a hung jury because 11-1 doesn't convict, thus mistrial

If that happened here you'd be clamoring for the next trial (rightfully so)

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big problem with this case is that it actually was "self defense" on some level. Legally he was allowed to have the gun, allowed to be there, and allowed to use deadly force if he felt his life was in danger. Really hard to go for a murder charge when there's video of the victims "attacking" the attacker. If you start charging people with things that weren't illegal at the time of the event then you start to get into Minority Report territory. Leads to fucked up situations like this though.

I know here in Canada self defense laws are a lot less powerful. For instance I would be charged with murder if someone broke into my house with a knife and I shot them with a legally owned handgun. I would say the lesson here is that Americans needs to push for law changes based on this incident. The whole thing is just a situation that shouldn't have been possible to begin with.

In this case the US justice system successfully held up the existing shitty laws.

Ugh, this makes a lot of sense actually. The root is self defense having way too broad a definition in this country. Thanks for the response.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's not a white right winger there is zero chance he walks. Everything else is legalistic noise trying to mask how racist the US justice system is.

Well, the first sentence is fair. But I'm getting the sense that this is the law "fairly" applied. It's a given that someone in a marginalized class doesn't get the law fairly applied to them.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the first sentence is fair. But I'm getting the sense that this is the law "fairly" applied. It's a given that someone in a marginalized class doesn't get the law fairly applied to them.
If black people could go to a right wing rally, shoot it up and walk free, we would have changed the law to make sure that they couldn't. Just like Ronald Reagan and the NRA supported gun control the moment black people started to arm themselves.
And likewise, if Rittenhouse had been convicted, you can bet everything Republicans would have come up with Stand You Ground 2.0 legal doctrine to make sure the next one walk free.

This is not an oopsie, the system is designed to let white right winger get away with murder and to punish and suppress minorities and really anything that might be any challenge to the status quo.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If black people could go to a right wing rally, shoot it up and walk free, we would have changed the law to make sure that they couldn't. Just like Ronald Reagan and the NRA supported gun control the moment black people started to arm themselves.
And likewise, if Rittenhouse had been convicted, you can bet everything Republicans would have come up with Stand You Ground 2.0 legal doctrine to make sure the next one walk free.

This is not an oopsie, the system is designed to let white right winger get away with murder and to punish and suppress minorities and really anything that might be any challenge to the status quo.

I don't think we're saying anything different, tbh

Apr 25, 2020
America is so fucked, it really isn't funny at all. The divide has never been starker, or more dangerous. It's a post Trump world now (or maybe not "post" at all, if the GOP go with him again).

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I legitimately do not understand this entire story. Guy shows up somewhere and shoots innocent people in cold blood and everyone acts like its no big deal. What am I missing here??????

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How come he wasn't guilty of bringing his gun across state borders?

I legitimately do not understand this entire story. Guy shows up somewhere and shoots innocent people in cold blood and everyone acts like its no big deal. What am I missing here??????
They ran towards him and threw their skateboards at him.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
Shit country with mostly shit people that vote for shit people to do shitty things, that is indeed the essence of the USA. I´m in no way surprised how the verdict is.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
This is so frustrating. The worst part is that it's not that this was the wrong outcome legally. If this happens again tomorrow the ruling would be the same.

Our laws and our culture leave this as the correct choice. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
is not a law enforcement officer or national guardsmen.

shows up to do a job he isn't needed for, trained for, or requested by government militia for.

ends up killing people after willfully walking into a crowd, despite having no reason to be there, and no reason to be armed.

Get's to walk away from it all with a pat on the back....?

welp. Can't wait to see how this empowers other civilians with bad agendas to also """""""counter-protest""""""" and claim """""""self-defense"""""" when they pop-off after getting scared.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Come back from what?

America never stopped being a place where pissy white men can murder people that offend their sensibilities and get away with it.

Like, hell, at this point I'm tired of people perpetuating this paralysis of utter shock that America of all places could be a land where white supremacy exists. It's useless, the bleeding heart version of "thoughts and prayers."

Like goddamn, after 400 years, 5 of which were spent with this place in existence, of minorities telling you over and over again that this is just the norm, and still some of you just don't get it? Really? You're actually shocked? You think this country has "fallen?"

It's always been a shithole.

That's part of the problem. The time spent acting like this is some new trend is time we could've been spent actually figuring out solutions to this shit. You know what was a shock? Darren Wilson getting clapped by the courts. That was a fucking glitch in the system.
This. All of this. It's just exhausting.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
He absolutely knew what he was doing.

He went with the intention to kill, but made sure to wait until he could fire a lethal shot in "self defence" to get away with it. I think that's pretty clear cut.

Just shows the self defence laws in the US need to be reevaluated. Though that's be being naive because this is working as intended.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
Shakespeare was right in that the law is indeed an ass.

I've been on juries where we had to find monsters not guilty due to our ridiculous rules on collaboration but until the day the legal system works to protect victims and see that perpetrators of crime are justly punished and / or rehabilitated for their actions, we have to keep fighting. Every single one of us.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Yet more depressing proof that cements my decision to get out of the US a year and half ago was the correct one.

This is also case why I find it incredibly naive to put faith in a justice system let alone the American one.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The US is in a very worrying place right now where nobody has faith in the legal system and various groups have irreconcilable reasons for that lack of faith. How can you even hope to hold it together under those conditions?

Doesnt a justice system need to be, you know, "just".
As my partner's lawyer kept telling them when someone was trying to bleed them dry in court out of spite "it's not a justice system, it's a legal system".

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this, I see some mfers coming out tonight. Dude is guilty as hell. Anyone defending him should look in the mirror and figure out their priorities.
Curious. Did you think i was defending Rittenhouse ? As I'm pretty sure my stance on this whole thing was pretty clear. To make sure.... it's USA's gun laws that allowed this to happen and allowed for the possibility for him to be found not guilty. If a bunch of ignorant assholes, who gave themselves authority to possibly cause harm or death to other civilians, put on vests and were walking around up here like that, they would be dealt with immediately and ordered to go home under the threat of arrest. Up here no one would be allowed to show up at protest with assault rifles, hence, Kyle would have been stopped the moment he was spotted, before he even had the chance to hurt someone, instead your police offered him water . The kids a straight up delusional asshole and SHOULD have been charged with murder. But under American law this is all ok . There were 2 shootings at schools in Colorado this week btw.
So to Sum up .... if the law didn't allow for American gun culture, Kyle wouldn't have brought one, there for the first goofball wouldn't have been shot and killed, in turn there wouldn't have been people chasing after him to remove his weapon, detain him or beat the shit out of him and everyone would still be fucking alive. Pretty simple

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Once the prosecution brought up Call of Duty and TikTok, I knew how this was going to end.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
How come he wasn't guilty of bringing his gun across state borders?

They ran towards him and threw their skateboards at him.

Prosecution lost this immediately as soon as one person said he didn't get shot till he showed and pointed his gun. At that point prosecution had to prove it wasn't self defense. It sucks, but they were not prepared and the video footage of everyone rushing him with skateboards didn't help them either.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prosecution lost this immediately as soon as one person said he didn't get shot till he showed and pointed his gun. At that point prosecution had to prove it wasn't self defense. It sucks, but they were not prepared and the video footage of everyone rushing him with skateboards didn't help them either.
Actually I do believe from watching some that the gun was purchased by Kyle's friend who was of legal age and it was kept either at his friends house or his father place, both who I do believe live In Wisconsin. The gun was bought for Kyle and he paid for it and was to get ownership when he
turned 18. So
it never actually crossed state line. AMERICA..... FIX YOUR SHIT !!!!!

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Whenever you see somebody carrying an AR-15 with countless of school shooting, We always see where it leads. You don't bring a weapons unless you intent to use it and it resulted in 2 dead and 1 injured by the shooter.

This is a oversight people miss in this thread meanwhile mass shooters are given a free pass by getting an AR-15 with no law restricting them

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely knew what he was doing.

He went with the intention to kill, but made sure to wait until he could fire a lethal shot in "self defence" to get away with it. I think that's pretty clear cut.

Just shows the self defence laws in the US need to be reevaluated. Though that's be being naive because this is working as intended.

exactly as I understand it, America gun laws are weird

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh and apparently a 17 year old is allowed to walk around with a rifle/shotgun in Wisconsin as long as the barrel is above 16 inches... so as long as it isn't a sawed off or made smaller for concealment

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
One of the outcomes here is that you can purposefully place yourself in harm's way and still claim and win a self defense argument.

He was at a business posing as an anti-riot/looting deterrent with an AR15, backed by the police (who were arresting others violating curfew) and the owners of the business.

So no matter what position you place yourself into, you always have the right to kill another if you are fearful of your own life being taken, regardless of circumstance.

It is gun culture, vigilante justice, systemic racism, and a failure by the police who are complicit in these killings. The cops saw Kyle as an ally. He acted as an extension of the police show of force without the restrictions of being accountable to or acting within the expected behavior of the police force.

The AR15 open carry is an overt display of force. If I saw someone open carrying an AR15 I would get the fuck outta dodge. It is hyper aggressive behavior.

I expect it to become more popular than it ever has been.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the outcomes here is that you can purposefully place yourself in harm's way and still claim and win a self defense argument.

He was at a business posing as an anti-riot/looting deterrent with an AR15, backed by the police (who were arresting others violating curfew) and the owners of the business.

So no matter what position you place yourself into, you always have the right to kill another if you are fearful of your own life being taken, regardless of circumstance.

It is gun culture, vigilante justice, systemic racism, and a failure by the police who are complicit in these killings. The cops saw Kyle as an ally. He acted as an extension of the police show of force without the restrictions of being accountable to or acting within the expected behavior of the police force.

The AR15 open carry is an overt display of force. If I saw someone open carrying an AR15 I would get the fuck outta dodge. It is hyper aggressive behavior.

I expect it to become more popular than it ever has been.
In any other country in the world with normal gun laws. The person who brings the gun when they are illegal under those circumstances ( not hunting, shooting range ), kills 2 and Injures 1
, the person who brought the illegal weapon and did the shooting is going away for murder 100 percent of the time, self defense of not, especially seeing as the gun was the whole cause of the altercation to begin with

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
So many Kyle Rittenhouses sitting in their houses tonight playing call of duty, screaming racist terms across Xbox live are motivated to do the same now. Not only is Kyle free, but he is being praised and offered a job by sitting congressmen. He will be on TV.

this is motivation to those kids and adults watching this. Protests are now war zones, especially in states like Wisconsin. I would never step foot in a protest there.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
In any other country in the world with normal gun laws. The person who brings the gun when they are illegal under those circumstances ( not hunting, shooting range ), kills 2 and Injures 1
, the person who brought the illegal weapon and did the shooting is going away for murder 100 percent of the time, self defense of not, especially seeing as the gun was the whole cause of the altercation to begin with
yeah it the vigilante justice right wing dream come true.

Kyle was allowed to open carry an AR15, although the weapon itself was purchased illegally. These laws are all fucking whack but working exactly as intended. People sleep on gun rights but this is what comes out of seemingly innocuous stuff. The deal about the barrel length was framed a specific way so that you could take your kids hunting. But again, there is nothing saying your teen can't open carry that shit through the streets of downtown Kenosha during a riot.

I fucking hate open carry I don't think it should be legal but I also don't make the fucking rules.

But again Kyle was perceived as an ally of the police. They encourage behavior like this. And it is not isolated to Kenosha, this is happening everywhere. Police and ex military make up large parts of civilian militia.

Rittenhouse tells the man shooting the video, "People are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and part of my job is also to help people. If there's somebody hurt, I'm running into harm's way. That's why I have my rifle, because I need to protect myself obviously. But I also have my med kit."
About 90 minutes into the livestream at 11:30 p.m. — 15 minutes before the fatal shooting — the following exchange with police occurs as Rittenhouse and another armed man walk outside a business.

Police officer (over a loudspeaker): "You need water? Seriously. (unintelligible) You need water?"

Rittenhouse, raising his arm and walking toward the police vehicle: "We need water."

Police officer: "We'll throw you one."

Rittenhouse then walks out into the street amid several police vehicles, holding his hand in the air for a water bottle. An officer surfaces from a hatch at the top of the police vehicle and tosses a water bottle to a person located just out of the camera's view, where Rittenhouse would likely be standing based on the preceding footage.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
oh and apparently a 17 year old is allowed to walk around with a rifle/shotgun in Wisconsin as long as the barrel is above 16 inches... so as long as it isn't a sawed off or made smaller for concealment

The law needs to be modified to limit such use only to hunting, which appears to be what the exception was designed for, and the age limit increased to align with the other statute.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever you see somebody carrying an AR-15 with countless of school shooting, We always see where it leads. You don't bring a weapons unless you intent to use it and it resulted in 2 dead and 1 injured by the shooter.

This is a oversight people miss in this thread meanwhile mass shooters are given a free pass by getting an AR-15 with no law restricting them

Oh I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying prosecution thought this was a lock and didn't bother pulling a good case together. Asking about call of duty? Seriously?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The law needs to be modified to limit such use only to hunting, which appears to be what the exception was designed for, and the age limit increased to align with the other statute.

It also has an air of 'child being supervised by an adult in the appropriate context' air about it, rather than 'mate gives you a gun because the owner of a car dealership asks you to guard their shit - and that's if you trust Rittenhouse's testimony through to its word

They found a technicality to weasel him out, rather than his knowing action

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It also has an air of 'child being supervised by an adult in the appropriate context' air about it, rather than 'mate gives you a gun because the owner of a car dealership asks you to guard their shit - and that's if you trust Rittenhouse's testimony through to its word

They found a technicality to weasel him out, rather than his knowing action

Agreed. Although any 18 year old would be considered an adult. His friend is very generous for catching those federal charges for the "straw" purchase.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An easy thing to Implement legally, shouldn't take more than a couple days I would think....... unfortunately... way too many gun nuts around especially in places of Power. I hope this gets done Nation wide, but I do not thi k this will happen there

sakkeke

Oct 16, 2021
Finland
I guessed the end result right from the beginning. And still any words cannot describe how disgusted and angry I feel. Fuck that American "justice" system, where white supremacy is able to protect white supremacists so shamelessly.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
An easy thing to Implement legally, shouldn't take more than a couple days I would think....... unfortunately... way too many gun nuts around especially in places of Power. I hope this gets done Nation wide, but I do not thi k this will happen there

Changing the law is not hard conceptually but getting the state house to do so is another story. Especially depending on the local politics which I am unfamiliar with.

This verdict has no legal impact outside of Wisconsin outside of emboldening other crazies.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the bereaved are able to get more competent lawyers (and a less biased judge) for the civil suits.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Spekulation; Thread Derail
is it true one of the victims was a pedophile? I. not sure if its true.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Actually I do believe from watching some that the gun was purchased by Kyle's friend who was of legal age and it was kept either at his friends house or his father place, both who I do believe live In Wisconsin. The gun was bought for Kyle and he paid for it and was to get ownership when he
turned 18. So
it never actually crossed state line. AMERICA..... FIX YOUR SHIT !!!!!
Even if it gets "fixed", it won't change anything. White supremacy is baked into the system.